Letters to the Editor

Driving habits

July 22, 2010

To the editor:

For the past two weeks, the Go! section of the Journal-World has featured emotional Monday musings regarding the oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico (“Disasters: Some are preventable,” Judith Roitman, July 12, and “Go green,” Kelly Barth, July 19). Given the clear connection between this environmental catastrophe and our personal addiction to the automobile, I was hoping for some genuine fire and brimstone: Park your cars! Ride a bike! Use public transportation! However, instead of painful exhortations to redefine our auto-American way of life, these authors prescribed a healthy dose of intellectual psycho-babble.

Yes, we have to change the way we think about things. Think about this: School will begin next month, and perhaps our local educators can provide incentives to encourage students and families to park their four-wheeled beasts and try walking, biking or taking the bus to school. If we are genuinely concerned about saving the planet, the country or one’s soul, we need to begin by changing our personal driving habits.

Ray Finch,

Lawrence

Comments

heybluekc 4 years, 5 months ago

Great ideas. I have used my bicycle to get back and forth to work for over 3 years. But I am moving this month and now will be at least a 30 minute bike ride away and I am required to be clean when I arrive. So ironically I looked today at the bus system map. If I choose to use the bus during the winter months ( I despise getting out of work and having to scrape my windows) I will have to leave my house at 515 PM to get to work by 645. And I work a 12.5 hour shift. Then after work I am gonna be another 1:15 away from getting home. The bus system sucks. As far as the oil spill. It is really sad but anyone with a brain should have seen this coming. Greed is what caused the whole thing to happen in the first place.

Chris Bohling 4 years, 5 months ago

People underestimate the value of living close to work. To me it's the second-most important item to consider when I choose a living place, coming only after neighborhood safety.

If people didn't feel it so necessary to live way out in suburbia, we wouldn't have this problem.

geoismeo 4 years, 5 months ago

Gee Ray, What if you need an ambulance and the emts have to walk or ride a bus to your house. You might appreciate the internal combustion engine a little more.

appleaday 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't think he was saying it's all or none. He's just suggesting we drive less and walk or bike more. If nothing else, for exercise.

Chris Bohling 4 years, 5 months ago

"Grandiose ideas" like riding the bus or walking to school?

normal_entire_route 4 years, 5 months ago

More name calling from Tom. Typical but not helpful. Ideas for solutions are what we need, not name calling. I'd suggest your energy might be more productive. But its your choice for sure. In the end, bogus theories or not, humans need ceaner, healthier, safer environments, water, and shelter as well as energy solutions. Doing something about it is critical; debating it is only making the real outcomes harder to achieve. If it would help, call global warming something old fashioned, like pollution and/or energy crisis.

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 5 months ago

The heat index will be 109 today. I wouldn't wait for a bus in this heat, let alone walk or ride a bike to my destination.

kenos 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure my SUV didn't cause the oil spill in the gulf. The LJW along with this writer are spilling a lot of propaganda though, and I wonder in the long run which if more polluting? BP has a large interest in the same global banks we'll be paying our carbon taxes to. So who is really going to benefit from this oil spill? Did anyone notice how their mishandling of the drilling process greatly contirbuted to the accident in the first place? There's oil in places other than deep in the bottom of the ocean where it would be a lot safer to drill. BP and the global banks that control big oil needed this disaster to tax the middle class out of existence and bring in communitarianism. Enjoy!

parrothead8 4 years, 5 months ago

Your SUV didn't cause the oil spill in the gulf? You really don't see the connection? You probably think all food comes from the grocery store and all heat comes from the furnace, too, huh?

parrothead8 4 years, 5 months ago

staff04 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought this was going to be a letter about how, despite driver's education, nobody in Lawrence has a clue what to do at a four-way stop.

1029 4 years, 5 months ago

Four-way stop sign is always fastest car first.