Archive for Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Investigation continues into disappearance of Tonganoxie man

July 20, 2010, 2:08 p.m. Updated July 20, 2010, 3:20 p.m.

Luke Stevens

Luke Stevens

Authorities who are investigating a missing persons case involving a Tonganoxie man say they have no new leads.

Tonganoxie police Lt. Billy Adcox said law enforcement officials continue to work on the case of Luke Stevens, 23, who last was seen at his Tonganoxie home May 26. Earlier reports stated that his 1983 dark blue Chevrolet truck was found a week later at Longview Lake, which is near south Kansas City, Mo., in Jackson County. His mother, Joyce Stevens, said Tuesday that his truck first was discovered at the lake May 27.

The family released Stevens' two cell phones to Tonganoxie police, but Adcox said analysis of the phones' call history was inconclusive.

A $1,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to finding Luke Stevens. He is 6-foot-5 and weighs about 250 pounds. Anyone with information is asked to call Tonganoxie police, (913) 845-2311.

Comments

Jimbecile 4 years, 5 months ago

M.I.A since the end of May? Survey says?....

eotw33 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm no cop but it sounds like a lake needs to be searched

FrancescaPFurbottom 4 years, 5 months ago

What exactly are you implying here?

Please don't.

rosben 4 years, 5 months ago

Anyone else think it is just too weird with Larry Schnackenberg disappearing last week, too? His vehicle was found at Shawnee Mission Lake with his cell phone, keys, etc.

These cases make my heart break for their respective families. My prayers are with them.

jystevens 4 years, 5 months ago

Jimbecile: I am Luke's mother. The survey would indicate that Luke is most likely dead. We now just need to find him and figure out what happened to him. We need to determine if foul play is involved and, if so, then we need to concentrate on who was involved to be sure that they are held accountable.

eotw33: Some searches of Longview Lake have been done by the Jackson County Sheriff's Dept. I have been trying to get them to let Texas Equusearch search the lake. Texas Equusearch is a volunteer search and recovery organization. They have a variety of search capabilities including a drone plane that can be flown over the area. The Jackson County Sheriff's Dept. so far has said no to letting them get involved. I absolutely cannot imagine why. I have gone as far as contacting politicians in Jackson County for help but everything is stalled when it gets to the Jackson County Sheriff's Dept. It is extremely frustrating.

edjayhawk: I have not seen the movie "Monster" so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Rosben: The similarities between Luke's disappearance and the disappearance of Larry Schnackenberg are eerie. I feel for his family because I know first-hand what they are going through.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

Mrs. Stevens, you have my sincerest empathy and sympathy. I have 4 adult children. Being an adult means little when any are in trouble. I am curious; did the Jackson County Sheriff's office give a reason for their refusal? Also, as this disappearance crossed state lines, has the case been taken to the FBI? I'm wondering this because Federal involvement may force the county sheriff's office into action they obviously seem reluctant to take. May I also recommend that you get a private attorney involved? State and local agencies will hate you for such a move but if they are refusing to either do the job or let someone else do it for them, a private attorney may also be a "stimulating" factor. In a case such as this some attorneys will work pro bono. I am sorry not just for your potential loss and fear in the face of a very grave situation but also for the fact that the very people we depend on to help us in these situations appear to be obstructive. I hope you find a solution and closure soon.

imastinker 4 years, 5 months ago

Joyce: Our prayers are with your family.

Good luck.