Archive for Monday, July 19, 2010

Police department to hold academy for Lawrence residents this fall

July 19, 2010, 4:25 p.m. Updated July 19, 2010, 7:35 p.m.

The Lawrence Police Department will hold a citizens’ police academy this fall.

The Citizens' Academy is a 30-hour course which covers police training, police procedures, legal issues, and basic Lawrence police philosophies. During training, participants can speak with patrol officers, department staff, and the chief of police.

In order to participate, you must be 18 or older, a Lawrence resident, no history of criminal behavior, pass a background check, and provide three local references.

Applications are available at www.lawrencepolice.org.

Comments

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 5 months ago

Will this "academy" explain just how Lawrence police officers can violate the Miranda decision and the 14th amendment to the Constitution and get away with it?

Will this "academy" explain how the Chief of Police can cover up these violations and how the city commission and city manager can stick their heads in the sand when presented with evidence of these violations?

I thought not.

doc1 4 years, 5 months ago

If your not under arrest when your being questioned then you don't have to read Miranda Warnings. You have to have two things. Custody + Interogation for it to be warranted.

Food_for_Thought 4 years, 5 months ago

I'll add to that. It's not like the movies. Cops don't have to advise you of your Miranda rights as soon as you're arrested; they don't have to advise you until they start asking questions pertaining to your charges. If the cop doesn't ask a question, and you give him/her unsolicited information, that is not protected by Miranda, because it's an unsolicited response and the officer did not ask you to provide that information.

14th Amendment violation? I think it's funny how people here always say the cops in this town do this and that, yet they never cite their sources supporting their arguments. Funny how that is...

4 years, 5 months ago

I know nothing of the incident that you are talking about, but those are excellent questions. I will be sure bring them up when, and if, I attend the program. Will you join me and ask as well?

HaRDNoK9 4 years, 5 months ago

Or will it explain how Lawrence police officers can violate the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th amendments? Or how the State can repeatedly enable the Federal Government to violate ALL of the amendments?

I think the Miranda rights violations are pretty shaky. As of June 2 of this year, The Supreme Court decided that suspects have to invoke their right to remain silent. Suspects can no longer just remain silent. If they want to remain silent, they have to speak up.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 5 months ago

The police report by the officer states that he asked for a lawyer. The officer told him they "did not have one" The officer further stated that he "agreed to talk to us anyway" The officer is a God-damned liar. This officer is now chasing speeders. He should be in custody.

HaRDNoK9 4 years, 5 months ago

"The officer is a God-damned liar"

You'll get no argument out of me on that one. However, under the new Supreme Court ruling, if he did not specifically say, "I would like to exercise my right to remain silent" then he DID agree to talk to them anyway.

Food_for_Thought 4 years, 5 months ago

Tell us, how would you know? Police reports are not open to the public. By which officer? Which case? Seems to be a lot of "holes" in your accusation...

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 5 months ago

The Powers that Be in Lawrence are constitutionally-challenged. Yeah, I'd like to hear these people explain the miscarriage of justice they underwrite. Yokels, one and all.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 5 months ago

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 5 months ago

if the police wanted to show us the "important role you play in the process of fighting crime in our city." then how about a citizens review board that way the public has oversight of the police who are supposed to protect them.............

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 5 months ago

You are so right, and the KU cops need it even more, being corruptly in the pocket of the administration at that substandard and amazingly mis-managed institution on the hill.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 5 months ago

Dani Davey 4 years, 5 months ago

This is actually a really informative program that I'd recommend. I did it a few years ago and while the Lawrence PD aren't necessarily saints, it gave a lot of insight.

youngjayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree, this is a great opportunity for Lawrence citizens to better understand law enforcement.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

& the usual suspects show up right on time....

Keith 4 years, 5 months ago

Can't say I'm really missing him all that much.

workerman 4 years, 5 months ago

This is a good thing. The lack of this kind of thing is what I have criticized the LPD for before; lack of public relations. They don't do this often or often enough, so hopefully a lot of people show interest. This kind of this can help bridge the chasm between law enforcement and the public. Thanks LPD!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 5 months ago

All we're missing is Lawrenceguy40

---yeah, and Smitty.
in fact, I'm a little hocked we haven't heard these champions of civility with their "coproach" references etc.

oh well, maybe LG40 and Smitty are off on their honeymoon?

hmmm.

May Soo 4 years, 5 months ago

I was in one like this when I was living in another state, since moving to KS, I have wanted to be in one for 5 times, but each time they tell me it's already been full.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 5 months ago

Cool! I've been looking for some way to get a FREE BACKGROUND CHECK!~D Seriously, I want to go but I don't think I can remember my history of traffic violations, which is required info on the application. I've been driving for well over 30 years! I can remember my one moving violation...Popping in a school crosswalk...to Ann Peebles' "I Can't Stand the Rain"...or was it speeding in Ellsworth County?

rcr 4 years, 5 months ago

"The academy will meet from Oct. 5 until graduation on Nov. 4. The academy will not meet on Oct. 14, which is the night of the KU/K-State football game."

Would it be possible to get more detailed information on the times? Does this group meet every night (with the one noted exception) during this time period? What time do they meet? How long are the meetings and are you required to attend every night?

I tried looking this up on the website for the LPD and found no info whatsoever.

somedude20 4 years, 5 months ago

well, you can take Officer Sweetchuck 's lunch but watchout for Sgt Tackleberry as he has a itchy trigger finger.