Archive for Monday, July 12, 2010

Thousands expected at annual Downtown Lawrence Sidewalk Sale

Above, Lawrence resident Emily Bayouth searches through a rack of dresses outside Creation Station during the 2009 Downtown Lawrence Sidewalk Sale.

July 12, 2010

Related document

Public Transit Route Map ( .PDF )

Stores are open from sunrise (6:08 a.m.) to sunset (8:46 p.m.) and many stay open late. But you may want to arrive early. Shoppers will find big discounts at participating stores, and merchandise will sell quickly.

Be sure to check in with LJWorld.com throughout the day. We'll have a live stream of Massachusetts Street as well as photos, videos and updates from reporters at the sale.

You can also submit your photos from the Sidewalk Sale for our gallery.

Free bus rides

The T is also offering free rides on the day of the sale. Regular service on the T is from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 11 travel downtown. Download a system route map for the T.

Win cash

Lawrence Marketplace is looking to put cash in your pocket the day of the sale. Visit their booth at Ninth and Massachusetts streets to enter to win $25 and $50 VISA gift cards. The booth opens at 7 a.m.

You can also win by completing the trip we've set up on Gowalla, a location-based social network similar to Foursquare. Anyone who checks in on Gowalla at all 11 destinations the day of the sale is entered to win a $50 VISA gift card.

Learn how to use Gowalla.

On Twitter

If you're going to the sale and you use Twitter, tag your tweets with #swsale. Anyone who tweets using that hashtag on the day of the sale is entered to win a $50 VISA gift card.

Your #swsale tweets will also be displayed as a live part of our news coverage. Let us know where you found a great deal and what you bought. Our CraveLawrence and LJWMarketplace Twitter accounts will also be tweeting deals and specials.

Learn more about participating vendors and contest rules by visiting the Sidewalk Sale resource page at ljworld.com/swsale.

Comments

toe 4 years, 9 months ago

With a 10 percent sales tax, there will be very few bargains to be had.

tomatogrower 4 years, 9 months ago

So, toe, your rounding skills are lacking. Talk to your math teacher. Are you driving out of state to do all your shopping now? Making an oil company rich?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 9 months ago

Where's AlfVenison to complain about consumerism?

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes...let's do some math. Pay full price for a $100 item and pay $8.85 in sales tax. Get same item for 50% off, and pay $4.43 in sales tax. Seems to me like purchasing the item on sale would be the smarter way to go. But maybe that's just me.

avoice 4 years, 9 months ago

Seems to me like purchasing the item on eBay would be the smarter way to go. But maybe that's just me.

Irenaku 4 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, baby! I will be there at 5am, elbows ready and cash in hand! LOVE IT!

ModSquadGal 4 years, 9 months ago

UGH... I HATE the sidewalk sale! Such a pain if you work downtown.

whatadrag 4 years, 9 months ago

How do I get downtown, could someone mail me directions?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

When you're alone and life is making you lonely You can always go downtown When you've got worries, all the noise and the hurry Seems to help, I know downtown

Listen to the music of the traffic in the city Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty How can you lose?

The lights are much brighter there You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares

So go downtown, things will be great when you're Downtown, no finer place for sure Downtown, everything's waiting for you

Downtown Downtown

Don't hang around and let your problems surround you There are movie shows, downtown Maybe you know some little places to go To where they never close, downtown

Listen to the rhythm of a gentle bossa nova You'll be dancing with him too before the night is over Happy again

So go downtown where all the lights are bright Downtown, waiting for you tonight Downtown, you're gonna be all right

Look downtown Downtown Downtown Downtown

kernal 4 years, 9 months ago

Have they banned baby strollers and dogs this year?

misseve 4 years, 9 months ago

at least ban the dogs, not everyone picks up the poop, unless they will have the Doodie Dudes on call.

RogueThrill 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone who brings out their baby on a July day to bake while mom goes pilfering through sales is an idiot.

mtnfreak 4 years, 9 months ago

What do you suggest they do? Leave them home alone?

whatadrag 4 years, 9 months ago

Leave them at the bar they were at the previous night

morganlefay 4 years, 9 months ago

Ugh, the yearly sidewalk sale. It's the one day a year I will avoid downtown at all costs. I hate the sidewalk sale day!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 9 months ago

Why would I or anyone want to buy a sidewalk "on sale"?????

The City provides them for you (Whether you want them or not) and raises your taxes to pay for them.

tomatogrower 4 years, 9 months ago

I know what you mean! And people are always trying to sell their garages and yards! What's up with that? I already have 1 garage to clean out, and I have enough grass to mow. And a few months ago I saw a sign that said "Big Kids Sale". Isn't illegal to sell kids? And I know they aren't as cute when they get older, but you still gotta love em.

hail2oldku 4 years, 9 months ago

Not to mention, you'll have to shovel the d@mn thing in the winter or face getting fined.

amrose42683 4 years, 9 months ago

Not fair that it's on a weekday ... some of us got to work to make the money that gets spent at these things.

parrothead8 4 years, 9 months ago

Exactly. Why don't they have this thing on a Saturday, when more people could actually show up?

Richard Heckler 4 years, 9 months ago

Downtown Lawrence Inc,

How about scheduling one in October when more people are in town,back at school and NOT on vacation?

Then next year schedule sidewalk sales in April and October again when more people are available.

Turn these events into carnivals that might attract KCMO metro folks etc etc.

AND encourage super duper prices. It's time to make a change.

In the meantime everybody have fun!

oliveoyl 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree with amrose, merrill and parrothead. I know it's tradition to have it the third Thursday in July but I don't understand why they don't make it a weekend AND during the school year where they might have more revenue with the students in town. I get that summer might be a slower season and this is a good way to get rid of old stock but why not a weekend during April or in September? It's ridiculous and doesn't make sense to me. When tradition is failing...you have to change with the times. More and more retail businesses are going out and restaurants/coffee shops/bars/ice cream parlors are going in their place. Once they turn they hardly ever go back to retail. Soon there won't be enough retail to have a successful sidewalk sale...I hope I'm wrong about that. Downtown Inc. doesn't make it easy for the people who actually want to support it. I know...I worked Downtown for almost a decade and worked sidewalk sale for 7 of those years. I've watched the slow decline over the years...it saddens me.

parrothead8 4 years, 9 months ago

The decline of retail...agreed. I worked retail for about ten years, and even though our "brick and mortar" locations continued to do well, our online business grew exponentially.

If Lawrence wants to grow its downtown retail business, it needs to attract more businesses that sell things people actually NEED. Those are the kinds of businesses that drive traffic to other stores. Also, a downtown movie theater (that shows movies a majority of the general public want to see) would be great.

We moved here last year, and were pretty excited about going to the Sidewalk Sale because of all the write-ups it was getting. Then we went. LAME. 10% off is not a deal, and 50% off of junk just means you're buying junk really cheap.

oliveoyl 4 years, 9 months ago

Agreed.

Sidewalk sale is a way for stores to get rid of stock at a teeny tiny discount...not worth the crowds if you ask me...not anymore. I also don't want defective merchandise nor do I want crap. It didn't always used to be this way. They used to shut down one block, have decent discounts, have music and serve beer...that was back when I was in high school so over 15 years ago. Alas, no longer.

whatadrag 4 years, 9 months ago

Will LJWorld be streaming the sidewalk sale online?

password 4 years, 9 months ago

"Thousands of people are expected to pack the streets on Thursday, July 15 for the annual Downtown Lawrence Sidewalk Sale. "

yippee.... so glad that is more than the few dozen that showed up for the fireworks display. I agree change the date. It would be one of the best things they could do.

tomatogrower 4 years, 9 months ago

Let's be fair, it did rain that night. A lot of people I talked to didn't realize they were going to go ahead with the fireworks no matter what, so they didn't brave the mud. Usually the parks are packed for the fireworks.

black_butterfly 4 years, 9 months ago

The funny thing is the prices at the sidewalk sale are not that great. Just 25 or 50 percent off of what was overpriced in the first place! It is more about the tradition of walking up and down the street. Most attend for the soical value and to be seen, not really to shop! My teen daughter will be there with her friends but I will be at work!

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

I'll pass. I've lived in Lawrence for 28 years and have gone to the sidewalk sale three times. Each time the experience was worse than the one before. Even on "sale" it's still just crap no one wanted originally.

akt2 4 years, 9 months ago

All the sidewalk restaurant seating has taken over the sidewalks. So you really can't navigate the area very well anymore. Too many weirdos as well. Add the parking hassle in and it really isn't worth the time or effort.

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't even get me started on the parking issue. I live one block from downtown and can't even move my vehicle from in front of my house tomorrow. If I do some jackass will try to park in my front yard again.

It's a lawn full of grass and flowers. I couldn't believe the guy actually thought it was a parking lot.