Archive for Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Kobach ridicules lawsuit against Arizona immigration law

July 6, 2010

— A professor and Kansas politician who helped draft Arizona's tough new law on immigration says a Justice Department lawsuit against it is unnecessary and troubling.

Kris Kobach, a law professor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, predicted Tuesday that the lawsuit would fail.

He is consulting with Arizona's governor as her state defends the law, which requires state and local police to question and possibly arrest illegal immigrants during the enforcement of other laws.

Kobach lives outside Kansas City, Kan., and is running for Kansas secretary of state.

He noted groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union already have challenged the law.

Kobach said the challenge from the Justice Department, announced Tuesday, is designed only to stir up the Obama administration's political base.

Comments

jackbinkelman 4 years, 10 months ago

There is already a law deals with illegal immigration!!

Bruce Rist 4 years, 10 months ago

The liberal mantra, “I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it” has been replaced with “I don’t agree with you and I’m throwing you out of the country.”

Nice. What happened to the “true” Liberals? I miss them

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 10 months ago

They left with the "true" Republicans. I miss them too.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 10 months ago

Hard to believe I would ever agree with Koback on any issue but on this one, I absolutely think the Democrats are clueless on this issue of immigration.

Seems strange to me that in a state that is overrun with illegals, most of which you can recognize on the street, you are not allowed to verify their citizenship unless you have the guts to do what AZ did. It takes a lot of arrogance and ignorance to want to sue the state of AZ when the federal government did nothing to solve the problem. I might be one of the few people on this blog who actually lived in AZ and owned a business there. I have traveled extensively in the Southwestern US and I have nothing against legal immigration. Too bad these law abiding AZ citizens are being treated like criminals for just trying to defend their state from lawless immigration.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Here you are, making the same exact statement on this thread as you did another -- "most of which you can recognize on the street."

Wow. Nice to see the profiling of others doesn't bother you. I live in AZ, and I can assure you, there is no way of telling someone's citizenship just based on how they look. Please, for grins and giggles, tell us exactly what an illegal immigrant looks like.

Because of people making stupid statement like this, I am one of many people in AZ who wear a button that reads "I could be illegal."

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 10 months ago

And thankfully we have members of the Executive Branch of government (law enforcement) to rightfully help determine if someone is breaking the law. Do you expect judges to fill that important role? How about legislators? Who in society will do it if not law enforcement?

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 10 months ago

Moving toward the next election, I didn't think the hated Repugnants had a chance, but on gun control and immigration. the American people will trust them more then the Dems who are starting to look a little too lefty for most of us.

All the Republicans have to do is run the same stooges (aka: Sarah Palin) and it will be a closer race than it needs to be.

Score: More Corporate Welfare in the future: 2 More power to labor unions: 0 Average American citizens: Hopeless.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

"Kobach...predicted Tuesday that the lawsuit would fail."

If you are a betting person, history shows the odds of winning when you bet against what 'Kobach predicts' is pretty darn good.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

"Kobach...predicted Tuesday that the lawsuit would fail."

Jimo 4 years, 10 months ago

Agreed. Can anyone remember a legal position that "Constitutional Law Professor" Kobach has taken where he has subjugated his ideological views to the reality of what the law really is?

Steve Bunch 4 years, 10 months ago

You can't tell the illegal Canadians when you see them on the street. Now if they speak, you might make them.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 10 months ago

Beatrice:

I am sorry, but I doubt the honesty of your comments.

Which brings up the issue of profiling.

Most Americans today do not buy into the current laws regarding profiling. The issue is becoming the butt of jokes it is so absurd.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Which part don't you believe? Doesn't really matter, because every single word is true. I lived many years in Phoenix, lived for several years in Lawrence (when I started posting on here), and now live back in Phoenix. Feel free to ask any question about Phoenix you care to. How about something on the "suicide lanes" on 7th Street and 7th Avenue, or maybe about the Mad House on McDowell, or maybe the Wallace and Ladmo Show, Encanto Park, or really old school, Legend City. Or possibly something on your favorite AZ governor, Evan Mecham.

I, however, believe you when you proclaim yourself a foolish bigot who not only appreciates profiling, but finds it to be a joke. Oh, those crazy brown people -- lets just round 'em all up, and let you point out the citizens from the non-citizens. Always a good thing to see people giving up the rights of others.

However, most Americans aren't bigots and racists and don't want to consider profiling as part of the way to go through our daily lives. To honestly think that brown people should be stopped and questioned just because you think you can tell who they are on the street is stupid and repugnant.

You may not believe me, but I certainly believe you are exactly what you say you are. I suspect you didn't do well in Phoenix.

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

Who's writing these headlines and to what end? If he "ridiculed" anything, shouldn't that be specified? No evidence in this snippet.

Scott Drummond 4 years, 10 months ago

Exactly, I was going to say the same thing. This headline is either horribly misleading, or the story incomplete.. In either case it would be nice if the story and headline bore some relation to each other.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 10 months ago

"Illegal immigrants (and that's what they are, illegal, not merely undocumented)"

I disagree. No person anywhere is "illegal." A person may have committed an illegal act-- robbed a bank, exceeded the speed limit, crossed the border in violation of immigration laws-- but it's their acts that are illegal, not the person.

aa469285 4 years, 10 months ago

The use of the term "illegal," while general is acceptable given the context of using the term "felon" to describe a criminal who committed a felony.

aa469285 4 years, 10 months ago

fancy80 4 years, 10 months ago

I am a registered republican and I have never hired illegals for cheap labor nor has anyone in my family. As a side note, I don't have any fat cat friends either. I'm also pretty sure that there have been some big name democrats that have been busted for illegal nannies and house keepers. Generalize much???

Nick Yoho 4 years, 10 months ago

Unless you are Native American (Indian) YOU are an Immigrant. From the natives perspective, illegal too, I'm sure.

aa469285 4 years, 10 months ago

This argument is so old it has gray hair. Yes, many of us who now live in this country are either descendents of immigrants, or are immigrants ourselves. However, my family came her LEGALLY through Ellis Island. They didn't sneak across the border in the middle of the night, or fake documentation in order to get here. Just like Nancy Pelosi said that she was "for the troops but not for the war," I am for immigration but against illegal immigration.

Scott Drummond 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm against illegal employers. Traitors to us all.

Richard Payton 4 years, 10 months ago

The Haitians were sent packing but the Mexicians are welcomed with open arms. Why is one group given better status than the other group doesn't seem like a fair system. I'm referring to what are called boat people. Cubans are welcomed in Florida but Haitians are returned to their homeland.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

In another major fail by the current regime: "...In March, Obama's Secretary of Energy Steven Chu (Nobel Prize winner) sought to withdraw the DOE's long-standing 8,600 page application to store nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain. If accepted by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, this would set the nuclear waste project back at square one. Actually, it would be worse than square one because DOE wants to withdraw the application "with prejudice", which means it can never be re-filed. Yucca Mountain would no longer be an option for nuclear waste storage...

Briefly, the facts on Yucca Mountain. Congress designated it the national nuclear waste storage site in 1987. The original deadline for accepting waste was 1998. The current deadline for accepting waste is 2017. $10 billion has been spent on the project so far, and $32 billion has been collected from nuclear utilities surcharges levied to pay for the project.

Congress has been steadfast that this project go forward. So when Obama's DOE moved to end it, some states and nuclear utilities groups filed papers to intervene. The judges could not have been more clear (PDF):

(the court says)[W]e deny DOE’s motion to withdraw the Application. We do so because the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982, as amended (NWPA), does not permit the Secretary to withdraw the Application that the NWPA mandates the Secretary file. Specifically, the NWPA does not give the Secretary the discretion to substitute his policy for the one established by Congress in the NWPA that, at this point, mandates progress toward a merits decision by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on the construction permit....

For the reasons explained below, we conclude that Congress directed both that DOE file the Application (as DOE concedes) and that the NRC consider the Application and issue a final, merits-based decision approving or disapproving the construction authorization application. Unless Congress directs otherwise, DOE may not single-handedly derail the legislated decisionmaking process by withdrawing the Application. DOE’s motion must therefore be denied...." http://ace.mu.nu/archives/303352.php

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 10 months ago

That was my first thought. What does the price of tea in China have to do with this?

feeble 4 years, 10 months ago

I'll see your Nullification and raise you a Supremacy Clause. Meet you at Manassas, Johnny Reb.

independant1 4 years, 10 months ago

The 'whatever you want to call the flood of people across our southern border' is chaos.

I do not see any real progress in slowing the mass migration/chaos. All I see is political grandstanding and name calling.

If one of the two parties can field a candidate that takes a stand on this issue there are votes to be had. Doesn't mean there is a solution, just means there are votes to be had.

My solution = do what INS, now ICE does, just slow the process down and make the lines longer. That would be slow the mass migration at the border to a trickle, by whatever means are at hand (of course it must be somewhat humane.) It is easier for USA to absorb a trickle of those who do not follow the immigration/naturalization process than the current flood.

Stop the chaos, the chaos hurts more than the economy. There is a price people must pay too. Example, all those left behind in the sending country stuck in a corrupt dead end political/economic/social country with the only hope is escape.