Archive for Friday, January 22, 2010

East Lawrence Turnpike interchange to close for seven months beginning March 22

The east Lawrence interchange is scheduled to close for construction. The project would take about seven months and would give the interchange a full makeover.

January 22, 2010

Now that the old bridges are down and their steel set aside for recycling, crews overhauling the Kansas Turnpike at the northern edge of Lawrence are about to turn their attention to another traffic-disrupting phase of the project.

On March 22, the turnpike plans to close its East Lawrence interchange, which is across North Third Street from the I-70 Business Center in North Lawrence.

The interchange will be closed to traffic for seven months, as contractors replace toll booths, add lanes and install new equipment to handle expected increases in traffic and fit in with new Kansas River bridges, the main focus of an ongoing $130 million project.

For more information about the work, visit SpanningtheFuture.com.

Comments

thebigspoon 4 years, 10 months ago

This is really great. Now there is no quick way to get to the West side of Lawrence coming into town from the North with all the construction on the North side of the bridge. Really really good timing...It is a lot quicker to jump on the turnpke and go to the West exit than it is to sit in traffic at 7:45 in the morning.

wmathews 4 years, 10 months ago

As a commuter from Shawnee, I'm wondering if I should just take the Eudora exit or fight my way down 6th street at 7:30 a.m. Anyone?

gatekeeper 4 years, 10 months ago

If the road construction in N. Lawrence isn't finished by March 22nd, the residents there are screwed. When there's a train, emergency vehicles need to travel via I-70. And, it's often more convenient to just take 70 to the next exit instead of fighting the detour to get over the bridge.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 10 months ago

7 months??? I bet they can have it done in a couple of months if they really wanted to. I can't believe it would take 7 months! I'm shocked!...but not surprised.

Anyone remember Kasold? It took how many months? 18 if I remember correctly? In California they can lay down 5 miles of Highway in 1 day.

7 months? This is got to be a joke. It's got to be a joke!

1029 4 years, 10 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised if it never re-opens.

ralphralph 4 years, 10 months ago

7 months DOES seem like a really long time, given the description of the work.

So_tired_of_the_whiners 4 years, 10 months ago

And how many of you posters have done road construction and design... You all have no clue on how long it takes. If they said it would take two days you would complain and say it should only take one...

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 10 months ago

meburr 4 years, 10 months ago

This week at 5pm I went from 9th and Iowa out to I-70 and into Eudora via the new Eudora I-70 exit and only took me 15 minutes. It would have taken an hour down 23rd St. I love the new Eudora I-70 Exit!!!

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

o_tired_of_the_whiners (Anonymous) says…

And how many of you posters have done road construction and design… You all have no clue on how long it takes.

Well the design stage will be finished before closing the road. Seven months is too long for that project and I have worked as a surveyor for a construction consulting firm. Seven months for that project is ridiculous.

Charlie Mehl 4 years, 10 months ago

anon1958, enlighten us please! Instead of just saying it's ridiculous tell us why. Tell us what all goes on during this seven months. You working as a surveyor for a construction firm should be able to tell us everything that's going to happen during the seven months according to your statement. Don't post and run!! Tell the public.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

so much doom and gloom. This is all going to be really nice in a years time.
in the meantime, your lives will go on. you will find alternative routes. and the fire department will save the burning homes.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

ksjayhawk74 (Anonymous) says… It's no secret that contractors take much longer than they need to to get things done. The longer it takes, the more they make.

this is just plain ignorant.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

ralphralph (Anonymous) says… 7 months DOES seem like a really long time, given the description of the work.

I don't see how that seems long. you're going to have demo of the entire roadway, booths, power lines & other underground items. regrading the toll plaza as well as probably the rest of the interchange that hasn't been touched yet, new utilities, concrete, structures, striping, signage. seems like a lot of work to me. oh don't forget rain days. that will be spring in Kansas.