Letters to the Editor

Unsightly towers

January 16, 2010

To the editor:

Having a larger, quality hotel near the KU campus is a welcome development. Lawrence needed a facility that was convenient for out-of-town guests and where community and larger KU events could be held. Lawrence did NOT need a building with four unsightly cell phone towers that dominate the skyline and diminish the beauty and grace of the KU campus and the character of the Oread neighborhood.

In Thursday’s paper, there was a large ad inviting the public to an open house celebrating The Oread hotel complex. It is worth noting that the four cell phone towers were left off the depiction of the hotel. Apparently, whomever placed the ad to promote the Oread also thought the four cell phone towers detracted from the building as well.

It is one thing to omit them from a picture. How nice it would be if we could conveniently edit them from the Lawrence skyline as well. Since that cannot be done, what is needed is for enough residents and community leaders to let the Oread hotel owners know that the four cell phone towers should be replaced with an alternative that fits with the surrounding environment.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure the Fritzel's would be glad to oblige-- on a cost-plus basis, plus a little extra TIF money.

Uhjh 5 years, 3 months ago

The towers are unsightly and were put through the city as a revision to the original plan. The total height was only in a note that was should have been specifically pointed out to the city. The height of the building was an issue also but the city succumbed to the seven stories because it was sold has that it just wouldn’t work at six stories. If the university had wanted to build something that tall it would have been considered as just too much and had a lot more resistance from the city and neighborhood.

sherlock 5 years, 3 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 3 months ago

"with the city comm. now in office we can conclude that anything the developers want will be pushed thru at city hall without any argument!"

Not true-- Cromwell will argue a little, and then vote with the majority.

funkdog1 5 years, 3 months ago

I like the hotel. I like how tall it is. I think it's neat. The cell towers don't bother me.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

Worth repeating: • jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says… bronze- I've warned you privately, now I'll warn you publicly. You do not have bearded_gnome's name correct. If you don't immediately cease to attempt to out an anonymous user, your account will be banned. In addition, I will immediately ban any account I suspect to be created by you without notice, warning or further cause. This is your final warning. Jonathan Kealing Online editor

––––– How has donjuan lasted this long Jonathan?

compmd 5 years, 3 months ago

I would like to know how many of the people complaining about the cell phone towers have cell phones and have ever been frustrated by coverage or data speeds in Lawrence.

lawupsman 5 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone ever noticed a Fritzel project? Go into Tuckaway or Hutton Farms and you will notice how beautiful the property looks! If every business and resident in Lawrence took pride in their property as the Fritzels do, this towns landscape would be incredible! And if your ever in Fall Creek Farms, don't be surprised if you see Mr. Fritzel outside working his butt off!!! Much respect to the Fritzels for all they do in the Lawrence community!!!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

The grace and beauty of the Lawrence skyline is not in any danger. Cell phone towers are a necessity unless no one plans on using a cell phone in the hotel.

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 3 months ago

Maybe you don't like to be able to talk on your cellphone, but I do. Can't do it without towers, they are everywhere. Get over it. Thank you, Lynn

dontcallmedan 4 years, 11 months ago

Save yourself some grief and scroll right by 1-eye.

svenway_park 5 years, 3 months ago

I just can't wait to meet up with an old friend there who has some strong opinions and discuss it.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh cry me a river, it doesn't look bad, its unique! A hundred years from now it will be a historic landmark just like the Eldridge which will be dust in the wind by then.

unklemonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

I totally agree. They look awful and ruin the otherwise attractive campus skyline. Thank you Dale!

unklemonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

Not to mention that the entire thing looks like a prison.

lmn 5 years, 3 months ago

Sven/Cool - is that you, now posing as Bernward? Kicked off multiple times and here you are once again.

brewmaster 5 years, 3 months ago

lawupsman and jumpin_catfish,

Both of you must be related to the Frizzy family. As far as that hotel lasting a hundred years...it was built by Frizzy...it won't last 10 years.

Aileen Dingus 5 years, 3 months ago

Looks like a big fork to me. Or like they should be smokestacks. Very odd.

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

NOBODY and I say NOBODY would be b!tching if those "towers" were flag poles (which they are as well).

If there wasn't an article in the paper announcing the cell towers are the flag poles, there wouldn't be an outcry today.

Boo-hoo, whatcha gonna do about it? Not a darn thing. Find something else to complain about.

There is a record deficit that my kids and grandchildren will be trying to pay down. Why no complaints about that, because leftists don't have children?

lawupsman 5 years, 3 months ago

Bernward good point cuz the crossing and yello sub were both very attractive businesses...close to being condemned! Everytime i went in to the crossing, i thought the floor was going to cave in. Oh and the bathroom was a sight for sore eyes! I miss the aura of the yello sub(23rd st ys just isnt the same) but it is 2010. The Oread is going to be a gathering spot whether you like it or not. Let your $ be your voice! I'll be @ The Cave tonight come by and i'll buy ya a beer!

lmn 5 years, 3 months ago

LJW editors - Bernward is Sven. Isn't he permanently banned?

Randall Barnes 5 years, 3 months ago

LAWRENCE KANSAS DOES NOT HAVE A COMEDY CLUB SO AFTER A NIGHT OF HAVING A FEW DRINKS,I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE ANYWHERE JUST READ THESE BLOGS.I JUST CAN'T STOP LAUGHING AT SOME OF YOU CRY BABIES.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

have a little cheese with that whine!

I do wonder if ol' Dale uses a cell phone, or even a cordless phone? I bet the KU campus was already underserved for cell phone towers. then the influx for the Oread, the towers had to go up somewhere.

some of the same whiners about the height kept the riverfront mall too small to succeed. generally these neohippie-types know nothing and care nothing about a business being able to make a profit. in fact their president demonizes people who actually make a profit and hits them with extra taxes and fines and premiums.
there'll be good cash flow on those towers.
I still say the Oread should install four webcams one in each direction looking out, put ads on those webcam channels to sell ads.
I do not want this project to go the way of the Riverfront Mall.

Oh, one-eyed-walleye, you stop commenting on how the mothers of KU students dress? be a lot of them coming and going at the Oread for you to gawk at.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 3 months ago

This isn't a matter of whether or not there will be cellphone towers in this town. These are unavoidably very prominent structures, and it needs to be a community decision on where they will be sited, how tall they will be, and what they will look like.

It seems to me there was very clear intent on the part of the owners of this hotel to prevent any community input on the cell towers on this hotel, and that city officials were complicit in cutting the community out of that process (if there was anything like a process involved.)

It would seem that the owners and builders of this hotel are just a little more equal than the rest of us.

gphawk89 5 years, 3 months ago

"A hundred years from now it will be a historic landmark"

100 years from now it won't be there at all.

kansasplains 5 years, 3 months ago

People in many parts of the country are concerned about towers located on top of buildings and that they may be a source of cancer. I, for one, wouldn't want to have a room in the hotel because of the towers.

lmn 5 years, 3 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… “lmn (Anonymous) says…

LJW editors - Bernward is Sven. Isn't he permanently banned?”

Marion writes:

Tsk, tsk!, Imn!

Attempting to establish the true identity of anonymous posters on the LJW is a terminal violation of the TOS.

Reported.

Good for you, Marion. I know you know the rules quite well, as you frequently break them. You're still around.

As far as me pointing it out - it's the same sh*t, different name. I recognize the pattern as I'm sure others do.

trollkiller 5 years, 3 months ago

I can see why Marion wouldn't want someone to do an IP address comparison...or should we call you Lynn731?

My cell phone worked quite well before the towers were there.

ksjohn 5 years, 3 months ago

I think the whole project looks like it was designed by a committee of deposed Eastern European dictators locked in a room with a double set of Duplos.

hujiko 5 years, 3 months ago

Marion-

Attempting to root out a user's multiple accounts isn't the same as trying to find out someone's actual identity.

Also.

Try not writing in fragments.

Reveals too many gaps in logic.

ldvander 5 years, 3 months ago

I think we are an industrial city and cell phone towers are a part of industry.The Hotel looks like a battleship and that is awesome! I really think there should be more industrial architecture around campus and Lawrence. And as far as Pristine skyline? Give me a break, silly people, it's Kansas for the love of Pete. We want more jobs and business in Lawrence but let's not build anything?

Kookamooka 5 years, 3 months ago

That sort of "bait and switch" is appalling. I was dissappointed that we didn't get a new library but if the Fritzel group had been awarded the contract, they might have done the same sort of underhanded thing. Don't trust them.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Looks like the Grey Goose was open last night.

Bradley Kemp 5 years, 3 months ago

The towers are the best looking part of that pile.

svenway_park 5 years, 3 months ago

It's good to see Cool/Ariadne/Spiderman/rusty2/Bronze/dried_oregano (and a few others) back online. Now BERNWARD. Holidays must have been refreshing in Aspen, with all those big-wigs.

Remember when Cool sued the school district and used this forum as his tool? The law suit which was frivolous and cost the taxpayers money? The law suit he sucked his neighbors into paying for? The law suit he could not file himself in part because he doesn't own his own house?

I wonder if J. Kealing remembers this poster's total lack of integrity.

Speaking of TOS, it is totally laughable that Marion quotes it. He repeatedly violates the TOS on these boards, and everybody knows it.

lawrencenativegirl 5 years, 3 months ago

I work at the Oread and I think it's beautiful. To all of you who aren't fans but have never actually been inside - there is an Open House today - come check it out - you don't have to wear name tags with your log in names so no shame will come of you! Fritzel isn't the one who has "fire" issues with projects - thats the other guy Seriously, why is everyone freaking out about drunk people leaving the Cave and driving - not a fan of drunk driving - actually don't go out so I am not a part of the issue - but I never see comments about downtown venues and drunks leaving at 2:00 am - it is what it is and happens everywhere - the Cave didn't create it and certainly doesn't promote it. If anything, students walk home rather than drive home from Mass

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Good to hear that Marion's photographer has recovered.

Still asking for work from the firms he bashes, I see.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

hujiko 5 years, 3 months ago

Marion-

I never accused you of having multiple accounts, if you aren't going to read my post then don't respond to it. What I meant to convey (which you completely missed) is that lmn has done nothing to violate the TOS by linking bernward to a banned user (no actual identities have been revealed).

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Been wearing your blackhat uptown lately, mario?

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Looks like someone from Wyandotte County is doing his censorship thing again.

It is amazing how a guy who complains about censorship so much engages in it all the time.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Worth repeating:

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Like most internet bullies, mario can dish it out but can't take it.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

empty

husk

of

a

human

notjustastudent 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm just not sure how that much stone can catch fire quickly enough to cause any problems. Have you guys actually been in there? It's like you guys can't wait for somthing horrible to happen, are hoping for it even...and for those of you wondering why people are making a stink about the towers- it's because the snow melted, and they're bored and have nothing else to do...

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

The hotel is NOT built of stone. The appearance of stone construction is only a facade.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Of course, if nobody patronizes the hotel, it would have to file Bankruptcy.

Let's ask our resident expert-on-everything how one goes about doing that...

svenway_park 5 years, 3 months ago

Good idea Boston. We could also ask Bernward. He has this expertise too.

Oooops. Where did Bernward go? Disappearded once again?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

––––– How has donjuan lasted this long Jonathan?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

Revisiting all your old haunts, juan? We'll miss you when you're gone.

svenway_park 4 years, 11 months ago

Ahhhh... What every article needs, the non archy-tech who has had one identity banished 5 months ago (Bernward) now reaches into the archive to post as donjuan.

You ought to have a Popsicle donjuan. It's a cool and fruity treat on a hot day.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

––––– How has donjuan lasted this long Jonathan?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

Relax and have a popsicle, juan. It's a cool and fruity treat on a spring day.

tanaumaga 4 years, 11 months ago

fix your frayed flags as well.....old glory is already getting torn to bits....you commies.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

I am very angry about the use of black tires on all cars. I hate the way they look. Yes, I know there is not a damned thing I can do about it, but I want to complain anyway. If it wasn't so ridiculously stupid to do so, I'd write a letter to the editor...