Archive for Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lawrence crews fill 636 road cavities

City crews have been busy this week, working to patch more than 600 potholes in Lawrence streets. The recent snowfall has wreaked havoc on the roads.

January 16, 2010

Crews continued their onslaught Friday on the city’s weather-racked road system, closing the week by filling 636 potholes and bracing for more in the days and weeks ahead.

Crews responded to 164 reports that had been filed by calling the city’s Pothole Reporting Line, 832-3456, or filling out a form online at lawrenceks.org.

In all, crews used 27.5 tons of patching material to fill the potholes, which emerge when traffic drives over pavement weakened by the continued freezing and thawing of moisture beneath the surface.

Comments

M. Lindeman 4 years, 11 months ago

I think there is about that many on Lousiana street from 19th to 23rd. Now my count might be off just a bit due to all the crater dodging I was doing.

kansasmutt 4 years, 11 months ago

No, your count is off a bit. That was just on 23rd from Mass to Mass, owh just the intersection. Good luck Lawrencians on your cars.Iraq has better streets.

cowboy 4 years, 11 months ago

“Don’t get me wrong: There’s still going to be potholes,” said Chuck Soules, the city’s director of public works. “When the snow melts, there’s going to be potholes. But, if you compare it to a couple of years ago, I think what you’ll see is a significant reduction in the amount of potholes.”

Foot Extraction personnel needed at corner of Mass & sixth , urgent.

GardenMomma 4 years, 11 months ago

Yep, that's a bad area.

Another bad spot and always has been, even in the summer, is the parking lot in front of Royal Crest Lanes and Munchers. But I don't think that's a city responsibility.

frankwiles 4 years, 11 months ago

Damn physics for creating these holes...

10 bucks says none of you have filled out the simple web form to report these. I reported several in my highly wealthy, overly taken care of section of town known as North Lawrence and they were filled in the very next day.

Compared to previous years I think the city is doing a fine job, thanks!

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

" I reported several in my highly wealthy, overly taken care of section of town known as North Lawrence and they were filled in the very next day."

I did the same in East Lawrence and the pothole was filled the next day. Street crews are doing a good job from my perspective.

ozzynbn 4 years, 11 months ago

The city crews are doing a good job so far in filling the holes. The whiners on here need to be out helping them.

Ralph Gage 4 years, 11 months ago

Attention needed on Bob Billings Parkway.

budwhysir 4 years, 11 months ago

and next week they will start searching for potholes and bad spots in the road