Archive for Wednesday, January 13, 2010

KU professor appointed regional administrator for EPA

January 13, 2010

President Barack Obama has appointed Kansas University history and environmental studies associate professor Karl Boyd Brooks to be the regional administrator for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Brooks, a former Idaho state senator, will lead the region that includes Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska. The regional office is in Kansas City, Kan.

Brooks has taught at KU for the last decade.

Regional administrators promote state and local environmental protection efforts and serve as a liaison to state and local government officials.

Comments

Fugu 4 years, 3 months ago

I also hold an Environmental Science degree from KU and had the great pleasure of taking a class from Professor Brooks. Devo's view on ES is a little outdated, at least from my experience (which apparently has more cred than devo).

BTW Congrats to Brooks! I heard buzz about this a little while back. There isn't a better person in the region for the job.

boltzmann 4 years, 3 months ago

Whoops - left off a verb... "It seems that you have just built an elaborate sort-ta-kind-a computer model in your brain of what an environmental science professor is"

boltzmann 4 years, 3 months ago

devobrun (Anonymous) says… "No, I haven't met him, but he is an environmental studies teacher. A guilt-tripper."

If you haven't met him, then by what "test" do you make this conclusion. It seems that you have just built an elaborate sort-ta-kind-a computer model in your brain of what an environmental science professor. Let's see the test!

MaryKatesPillStash 4 years, 3 months ago

Um, devobrun, I graduated with an environmental science degree from KU. Guilt was not at all incorporated into the curriculum. I learned about environmental law's in Karl's class, for instance.

And WOW--congrats to Professor Brooks!

devobrun 4 years, 3 months ago

No, I haven't met him, but he is an environmental studies teacher. A guilt-tripper. Is there any aspect of environmental studies that doesn't incorporate a guilt bash on humanity?

Come on, enviros, I know you can steer me to an area of study that isn't predicated upon :......and human changes to the environment leads to.........destruction of habitat and endangering of species....on and on and on.

First rule of ES, we are not worthy, we are guilty, mea culpa........... OK, give me an example from literature...anything that doesn't have those words, those sentiments. I'm interested.

blue73harley 4 years, 3 months ago

Wow, bozo DOES have a sense of humor! Who woulda thunk it? LOL.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 3 months ago

"sorta-kinda a scientist."

I take it you've met him and discovered that he doesn't know the obligatory Ultra-Secret Scientist Handshake.

BorderBattleKU21 4 years, 3 months ago

Karl Brooks is a wonderful teacher! I have had to the honor of being taught by him! Congrats!

devobrun 4 years, 3 months ago

The perfect combination: political savvy, modern-day historian (sensitive and diverse and inclusive), and sorta-kinda a scientist.

Where have you been? I mean, with those credentials, you should be head of NASA.

greenvera 4 years, 3 months ago

best news i've heard all year! great guy! honest, brilliant and caring.

gccs14r 4 years, 3 months ago

Good. Maybe he'll kill the SLT-through-the-wetlands travesty once and for all.