Letters to the Editor

Grab a shovel

January 7, 2010

To the editor:

I am sick and tired of people complaining about the sidewalks. I bought my property because it didn’t have a sidewalk. Then last summer came a letter saying the city was putting a sidewalk in at no cost to me. No one asked if I wanted it or could afford it!

So you complainers can get a shovel and shovel the sidewalks as you go. I wonder how many of you had to shovel or your landlords paid for it.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 3 months ago

"I bought my property because it didn’t have a sidewalk. Then last summer came a letter saying the city was putting a sidewalk in at no cost to me. No one asked if I wanted it or could afford it! "

There was a right of way for the sidewalk when you bought it, Debra. You should have bought a piece of property in very rural Jeff County if you wanted to live the life of a recluse.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

One whiner brings out another whiner.

People who travel by wheel chair or or people with other disabilities or senior citizens need a little help from the community.

Then there will be some who cannot afford to own a vehicle yet need to get to work or school ..... again might need a little help from the community.

And BTW Debra all taxpayers are helping to keep your street in a condition that helps your car.

Yes I agree with Debra that all of this snow can get a little frustrating.

Last night on the news people in South Florida were whining about 40 and 50 degree temps.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

" You are correct Merrill, there are also those of us who are also able bodied who put more into the system than we demand out of it. Where are you at?"

I begin cleaning my sidewalk and driveway as the snow falls immediately upon returning home from work... it's more fun. Sometimes I do a walk for our elderly neighbor who gets help from more than one neighbor. We're a team.

Jimo 5 years, 3 months ago

Seriously, just authorize "bounty shoveling" after 48 hours -- anyone is free to go shovel public sidewalks and bill the property owners. Those who don't pay up have a lien placed against their property until they do. Problem solved and useful service provided.

grimpeur 5 years, 3 months ago

Why don't you shovel your own street while your at it, there, Debra? And be happy the city didn't charge you for the sidewalk that should have been there all along.

Good grief. Don't like city rules? Then don't live in the city.

There should be sidewalks along all city streets.

Joe Hyde 5 years, 3 months ago

Excellent idea, Tom Shewmon! When I was a kid and living in Emporia, all us boys in the neighborhood couldn't wait for snow storms to hit. We'd practically race one another knocking on every door, asking if we could shovel their city sidewalk and entrance walkways for fifty cents or a dollar (depending on snow depth and linear footage). I made enough money doing that to buy my first fly rod.

mr_right_wing 5 years, 3 months ago

Boo hoo.

I'm so sorry that there are certain responsibilities (in addition to advantages) of owning property.

Here's an idea Debra...move way out into the country!

For fun I just may have to look you up in the phone book and pass by...and if you're not shoveled file a complaint. I guess then you'd really lose it.

tomatogrower 5 years, 3 months ago

Nowadays if kids need money they just run to mom and dad who give it to them so they will shut up and go away. Yeah, I'm in a cynical mood today. When's the thaw?

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 3 months ago

Instead of $72 tickets, Topeka hangs a notice on your door to shovel them. No doubt because Topeka uses the solar ice melting program for their residential streets. Thank you, Lynn

SLOPOKE 5 years, 3 months ago

JESUS SAID I COULD MOVE MOUNTAIN'S( IN HIS NAME) ,BUT I WOULD HAVE TO BRING MY OWN SHOVEL..

David Roberts 5 years, 3 months ago

One of our neighbors who I hadn't met before was going down our street with his tractor/snow plow and plowing the driveways. He seemed to be enjoying himself and certainly saved me lots of shoveling effort. Several of our neighbors are great at jumping in and helping with mowing, shoveling, watching out for pets and children, painting, small house repairs, etc. I Love it.

misticj 5 years, 3 months ago

tomatogrower shut up! maybe some kids are like that but all of them so stop acting like it. I'm twelve there are seven people in my family and I spend like two hours each night doing the dishes and in exchange I get fourteen dollars every two weeks on my step dad pay day and I'm not the only one who actually earns money my cousin peter takes nature pictures for somebody and not only is his family wealthy but their almost always teetering on the brink of being rich I hardly think you can call that running to are moms and dads for money.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

I bet Debra yells at and threatens those damn kids who walk across her yard.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

misticj You have every right to be angry. There are lots of responsible kids, but we don't hear about them, because it is more interesting and fun for people to put others in a group and yell about how bad they are. Good for you for making this comment.

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't mind the responsibility of shoveling my sidewalk, but I must admit, I was marginally angry when I shoveled my sidewalk at 8 pm, then awoke to find the city's plowing had covered it all back up.