Archive for Friday, February 26, 2010

Concerns voiced about new homeless shelter

Residents spoke out Thursday about the possibility of a new homeless shelter in Lawrence.

February 26, 2010

A plan to relocate Lawrence’s homeless shelter to the eastern edge of the city won’t be without opposition, but a Thursday evening forum attracted a smaller crowd of opponents than those drawn to previous proposals.

Neighbors and landowners near a warehouse just east of the Douglas County Jail objected to a plan by the Lawrence Community Shelter to convert the industrial building into a 125-bed homeless shelter.

“No matter how well you run it, it will affect the values of the property out around there,” said Gaye Kitsmiller, whose family has 160 acres of farm ground just south of the site that it hopes to develop into residential uses in the future.

About 45 people attended the forum at the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, although at least a dozen of the attendees were either shelter staff members or supporters of the shelter.

Kitsmiller estimated about 30 people live in rural homes near the proposed site at 3701 Franklin Park Circle, and many have become frustrated with how the area is changing — first with the Douglas County Jail more than a decade ago, then with plans to build the South Lawrence Trafficway through the area, and now with the shelter proposal.

Shelter leaders gave crowd members several details about the proposal, including:

• Plans that call for the city to locate a public bus stop at the new shelter.

• The shelter would have a kitchen and dining room that would serve three meals per day.

• The building would have office space for a variety of social service agencies to cut down on the number of times shelter guests need to leave the building to access services.

Opponents did come from a wider area than just the rural neighborhood surrounding the site. The president of the Prairie Park Neighborhood Association told shelter leaders she was concerned about how the current shelter at 10th and Kentucky streets is managed.

“I would be more receptive to all of this if the shelter demanded more accountability from the people who stay there,” said Lindsey McCaig, whose neighborhood is about a half-mile west of the site.

Shelter leaders said they believe the new shelter will operate more smoothly than the current facility, which they said is severely undersized.

Lawrence-Douglas County planning commissioners are scheduled to discuss the project at their March 22 meeting.

Comments

paulette2 4 years, 1 month ago

The Lawrence Community Shelter should be located somewhat close to the hospital. Therefore, i suggest that the USD 497 administration move out of their overly expensive building and make it the shelter.

It's been suggested that the administrators should be in the schools anyway so that they have a better connection to the teachers.

This way we can kill two birds with one stone. Community Shelter near the hospital and I-70 corridor, reduced USD 497 costs.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 1 month ago

One of the problems, jayhawk72, is that many in this community have made their suggestions to Mr. Henderson, and they seem to fall on deaf ears. You might be surprised to learn that a lot of us are sympathetic to the plight of the truly homeless. We are not sympathetic to those who are homeless by choice, which seems to be a pretty good percentage of the Lawrence homeless population.

When Mr. Henderson gets his current flophouse under control and starts providing meaningful solutions to the population he is supposed to serve, I, and others, will be more inclined to want to help. Until then, I will continue to assist organizations like Family Promise and the local food pantries who use some form of accountability.

lainey 4 years, 1 month ago

Falling: Perhaps people would be willing to listen to you put us "Kansans" down more if you had a clue how to spell! Did you know your computer comes with a spell check? And putting down others because they don't have the same opinion as you doesn't make you sound any better. I haven't been homeless. I have worked since I was 15 but my job is to help people get the help they need, including the homeless.

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow, I thought this was Johnson county Kansas, what with all the crying going on here on this forum.

jayhawk72 4 years, 1 month ago

I was born in Lawrence 37 years ago and I deal with the public directly on a daily basis, as a convenience store clerk, I hear of their struggles everyday, so I feel compelled to comment on this homeless issue. I think the city, as a whole, is getting too complicated about the solution and it shows negligence, on our part, as a community to help our fellow man/woman/child. Why build new when we can use the closed and vacated buildings and save us taxpayers’ money. Refurbishing a property is cheaper than building new. Ask any property owner. Would you knock down your house and build a new one just because your roof had a leak? No. Re-use....and refurbish....... Example: Lakeview Manor, closed, later, reopened to become a Women’s shelter. Not saying that it isn't serving a valued purpose now, but it could have been an option for a new shelter. It has 3 wings, a working kitchen, and offices for potential rehabilitation and classes. One wing each for males, females and families with children, its on the “outskirts” of town, away from the road and view of those who discriminate, on the bus route, down the street from the Workforce Center (part of their required rehabilitation), and near shopping thats not our “pristine” downtown.We want to be viewed as a caring community to visitors, you can't exile them to the ege of town to make them "go away." What kind of face value does Lawrence present when we try to pawn off our homeless by telling them to relocate to larger cities with more accommodating shelters? (Suggestion given to one of my less fortunate customers.) Everyone deserves to be helped, not kicked, when they are down. . The economy has had an effect on some more than others. They need guidance and help out of their situation, not told to relocate or made to feel less worthy of living here. We are an eclectic community rich in diversity, that is what makes us so appealing to those not from here. It is not the time to pin scarlet letters on those less fortunate. No one wants to take out the trash at 8 PM to see someone taking a whiz in their alley? But with all the bars we have, don't we see that anyway? Even worse, it happens in our beloved downtown. It would do us and our hearts good to help our fallen and show that we're a town that welcomes everyone that step onto our coveted soil as part of a special family. So Lawrence, don’t turn a blind eye and please start exploring better options that won’t require building or moving our community members to another city. I’ve said my peace, putting my soapbox away in hope that someone out there hears me. Sincerely, A citizen of Lawrence, Kansas since 1972.

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

"Other States have used this idea, and it doesn't work. Also the States that are on the receiving end have successfully sued the State that sent their homeless to another State. "

Yeah, I know. That was half a joke. The real idea is to make Lawrence unfriendly to the chronically homeless. A better idea would be to make chronic homelessness so horrible that people would work their way out and become productive citizens no matter what it takes. "Helping" them by enabling them to not support themselves is not really helpful.

I'm all for helping a person that is down and out, but that help needs to be limited.

I've gone from poverty most of you can't comprehend to a fairly nice life, all from me and my wife getting up every day and going to work.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

nlauder I agree with that its hard to climb up the economic ladder. I can not say that I have had it bad lately. Infact I would say I have Forest Gumped it back to where I was back before I was hospitalized, and am in a better position than I ever was before I became homeless

nlauderdale 4 years, 1 month ago

As a Prairie Park home owner I am more worried about the toxic waste dump on the other side of K-10 that no one seems to care about cleaning up.

Have a heart. People become homeless for many reasons. It is easy to fall and much harder to climb back up again in this economy.

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Falling, There are anarchists in this town that choose to be homeless based on their political views.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

kernal I was homeless after 8 and a half months in the hospital. I was homeless for a month, and a half. It was exstremely difficult to get on my feet after becoming homeless. Everything is set up to keep me homeless. If any of these idiots who speak about homeless being a choice are idiots. Since I have been in that positition, and I understand what it is to be homeless. It irritates me to here people speak about it. When they have no idea what they are speaking about. I grew up in a area where if you spoke about something. You better know what your speaking about, or you would get the sh knocked out of you. It was called not talking sh. They should bring that here. I am sure a few knocking arounds, and most people would try to understand a subject before they spoke on it

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

fallingwhilereading, you seem to be taking a lot of this personally. Have you been homeless at some point in your life?

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

I will leave it as soon as I finish this degree. I never fell in to the idea of staying in redneck heaven. The bumper sticker is true Kansas as bigoted as you think

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Falling, Kansas, love it or leave it...

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

I doubt any of you have even donated tme the January. I will bet most of you have no understanding about homelessness January. I will bet you watch Fox news becouse they are the most watched news station. ( by the way bbc has the most viewer) Just becouse something is stated over, and over doesn't make it right. Have you ever heard of an urban legand.

januarygirl 4 years, 1 month ago

falling, funny how the management issue keeps being repeated.
I don't think you have enough info to be so critical.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Kansans prove evolution. I read most of the comments, and I realize your just lower on the evolutional scale. Most of you seem alot closer to some of the lower primates. Meatwad seems to be the Philosipher of this group. I mean wow unbelieveable amazing. Hey meatwad I am sure you believe mental health is not a disease. I am sure you would get upset if I had something to say about Sara Palins kid.

Meatwad 4 years, 1 month ago

Kneejerk, you should write to the city council for whom you voted in the last local election. All of their email adresses and complete contact info are here. Make your voice heard. If no one speaks out to them, they won't change anything. http://www.ci.lawrence.ks.us/

kneejerkreaction 4 years, 1 month ago

Why are our tax dollars used for anyone but residents of Lawrence who need help? You want to be in the Lawrence homeless shelter, then you must 1st be a resident of Lawrence who lost their job/home.

bennyoates 4 years, 1 month ago

I think there should be a place where all the jerks who hate homeless people and who present themselves as experts on the lives of the homeless can gather and congratulate each other for how wonderful, hardworking, and virtuous they think they are. That way, the rest of us could be sheltered somewhat from their stupidity and they wouldn't have to deal with people to whom they, for some inexplicable reason, feel superior.

Beelzebub 4 years, 1 month ago

Drug and alcohol abuse are not diseases or mental disorders. They are lifestyle choices. They're classified as diseases so the treatment industry can exist and get paid. I drank hard liquor for 20 years. Lost a job or two, wrecked cars, problems with money, the Law and relationships. Then I got really tired of drinking and I stopped. No program, no "Hi my name's Beelzebub and I'm an alcoholic." Life is much better now. But in the years I drank I never blamed it on anyone else, or on a disease. Cancer is a disease. Cirrhosis of the liver is a disease. Drinking is a choice.

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't know why they classify drug and alcohol users as all having mental health issues. Isn't it possible to have drug abusers who are not mentally ill?

Beelzebub 4 years, 1 month ago

Yah...good points you make Meat. Here's another: How welcome would I feel at the 10th St. (or wherever) Flophouse if I was just a guy down on his luck and needed a place till I got a new job and place to stay? What if I had a family? Sounds to me like this place encourages, or at least enables, f^&kups to keep on f^&ing up.

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Where did this fallingwhilereading lunatic come from?

Meatwad 4 years, 1 month ago

It's not 'severely undersized' it's severely mismanaged. If you stop welcoming drunk alcoholics, there will be plenty of room for people who aren't "lifestyle" homeless. Loring really needs to be stopped. Lawrence really needs to stop supporting this effort to bring more and more "lifestyle" homeless to our city. I don't know what he is trying to accomplish by adding more beds for these people. I see no problem with this location. At least it will be less accommodating for people who want to maintain their "lifestyle" homelessness, and maybe a family or person with a car but no home, who would like to get a job but is having a hard time, can live there while they work on their situation. The argument that someone wants to build more houses out there someday, doesn't seem to work. Lawrence has too many houses people can't sell already.

bromidrosis 4 years, 1 month ago

Why don't they just expand the jail and put the homeless bums right smack in jail. It should be illegal to not have a home to go home to. Makes me sick to see someone trying to mooch a free ride and live on our streets without paying the property taxes needed for upkeep on those very streets.

Meatwad 4 years, 1 month ago

Did you know that if a homeless person shows up drunk at night carrying a bottle of alcohol, they are welcomed into the shelter and the next morning when they leave, Loring's shelter gives their bottle back to them. If Lawrence didn't allow and support Loring in his enabling of the "lifestyle" homeless, maybe someone could be hired to operate an actual "dry" shelter that truly helped people who are down on their luck due to losing a job, want to get back on their feet and just need some temporary help. It's upsetting that our taxpayer money goes to help the current never-ending system of enabling "lifestyle" homeless who are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol and have no reason to change. There are other cities where no money is provided for such a shelter and guess what, there are no homeless bums harrassing people on the street in those cities. They either move elsewhere or decide it's time to get a job.

Meatwad 4 years, 1 month ago

If Loring hadn't decided his shelter was going to welcome drug and alcohol addicts who move to Lawrence because it's easier to be a homeless drug and/or alcohol addict here than where they came from, there wouldn't be such a NIMBY uproar. No one wants to live anywhere near these "lifestyle" homeless that Loring wants to house. I wish Loring would move himself and his lifestyle homeless to Topeka. If you were a drug addict and/or alcoholic, wouldn't you move to Lawrence? You get to live rent free, get 3 meals a day, and you are free to spend your day begging/stealing/etc to get your drug or alcohol money. How about not give Loring any more permits until he changes his "wet" shelter policy to a "dry" shelter policy? Don't give him more beds so that his current lifestyle homeless can call their friends in Seattle or whereever and tell them to come "live" in Lawrence, where there is food, shelter, and plenty of meth hookups. And a downtown where they can spend their days harrassing passersby for money.

ferrislives 4 years, 1 month ago

I change my theory. I think that fallingwhilereading is really my long lost and bitter sister: http://tinyurl.com/fallingwhilereading

She's just mad that her love Charlie Sheen is in rehab.

ferrislives 4 years, 1 month ago

jsusanmullane, that was a good post. I absolutely agree, and I think that if someone like Loring would look to organizations such as Family Promise for a different idea on how to help them become independent and happy citizens, that would be a wonderful thing. With how the homeless population is growing nationwide, there's got to be other organizations that do a better job of helping their homeless population get back on their feet than what we have here in Lawrence.

ferrislives 4 years, 1 month ago

Ok fallingwhilereading, please enlighten us with your grand plan to end homelessness, since you are so much more informed that us simple Kansas folk.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

ferris I gave you a little more credit then was due. I thought you could come up with something more substancial to say. Is that all you have? Try a little harder to come up with a better arguement than that.

ferrislives 4 years, 1 month ago

fallingwhilereading, please let me know where and when I said that I had all of the answers to homelessness. Could that just be your voices talking to you again?

Larry Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

I did some work near the homeless shelter last year. Had a number of people offer to help. They did not even ask for money! They were good workers. If you have a job opening, it is a good place to look.

To those how are criticizing these people, have you actually spent time there? The times I have been inside I have not seen anyone on drugs or drunk. I have not been there late at night, though.

CrazyUkrainian1 4 years, 1 month ago

Homeless people need the support of the entire community. It amazes me how selfish people are, worrying about their property values. First off, Lawrence property values are too high to begin with, so if anything this would bring them back in line to where they should be anyways ,or have no affect at all. The fact is that all people deserve food, shelter, and all the basic necessities of life. For whatever reason, many not being the fault of the individuals, they become homeless, and are in need of a helping hand. People need to ask themselves the question, "How would I wish to be treated in my time of need?" Hopefully one day, there won't be a need for homeless shelters, but with negative and selfish attitudes present, that appears to be an event in the far distant future, yet long overdue.

jsusanmullane 4 years, 1 month ago

Most individuals and families in this economy are one or two paychecks away from being homeless.

That homeless person could be any one of you who has posted here.

Downsizing (because it certainly isn't called "right-sizing" these days), outsourcing jobs overseas, the mortgage crisis, mental health issues, and many other factors can lead to any one of us becoming homeless.

There aren't enough safety nets out there. Too many people have lost jobs. Too many people have gone through their savings trying to stay afloat. Too many of us are that close to the edge.

Seems everyone is a NIMBY when it comes to the homeless shelter issue, no matter where one is in this country.

Family Promise is a good organization, but only as good as the churches with which each individual chapter is associated. Although each church signs an agreement that they will not force their religion on those who are participating in the program, that far too often is not the case. But they cannot accept any kind of federal or state funding if they do just that.

What about single individuals, or those with kids in college? What happens when they end up homeless? I am not talking about the sots or the drug users out there, I am talking about normal every day people who have tried unsuccessfully to find work, whose unemployment has run out, whose cars have been repossessed, who have depleted their savings, who may have had a health crisis that pushed them over the edge. What do you suggest be done with those folks? Some of you would say, "Survival of the fittest". THIS COULD BE ANY ONE OF YOU, OR ANY ONE YOU KNOW IN YOUR CIRCLE OF FRIENDS OR YOUR CIRCLE AT WORK OR YOUR CIRCLE AT CHURCH.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

farris I tought you had all the answers to the problems of homelessness, and you exspressed you had better idea's than the current staff at the shelter. Like I said if you believe you have a better plan. Open a shelter of your own, and show everyone your right.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Keel I am guessing your living in your mom and dad's basement. So why would you ask me the condition about your living conditions?

ferrislives 4 years, 1 month ago

I have a theory: fallingwhilereading is actually Matthew Jaeger. I just didn't know they were allowed internet access in jail.

Anyway fallingwhilereading , if you had slowed down a bit and read my entire post, you would have noticed that I said "people and families". Family Promise is a great program because they are focused on helping people to become independent. If Loring Henderson would change the focus of his shelter to do the same, there would be a lot less opposition to his wet shelter.

If you want to bring drunks into your home, please feel free to do so. Until then, slow down and listen to others, instead of just ranting on about nothing while using the improper grammar that your home state has taught you. Please let us know where you are from, so that we can make sure never to move there with our own kids.

Robert Kiefer 4 years, 1 month ago

fallingwhilereading! Hey Mr.Einstein tell me where your brilliant A$$ is from! What state is mom & dads basement in!

Robert Kiefer 4 years, 1 month ago

Fallingwhilereading: I get the impression you are smarter than all kansans. If you are so f*^&%$# smart why are you here. Please leave my stupid state!

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

ferris I do pay taxes in this State am a residence, No I do not waste my time spell checking. So you think only families have the right for assistance? Only those who have children should recieve help. I have always wondered why people think if you do not have kids they're not quite human. If you think you could do a better job of running a shelter than do just that. Open a shelter, and show everyone you can instantly solve the issue of homelessness. You could be the first person to solve in history to solve the issue of homelessness

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

uninformed You're someone to listen to Sorry to upset your social network standards. Your assumptions about me are yours. I would still like to see that resume, and see if you have the experiance to run a non-profit. You also act like you know the clients of the shelter. Name three of them, and their back ground, and how they became homeless. What do you really know of the homeless?

ferrislives 4 years, 1 month ago

fallingwhilereading, do you do a spell check before posting your rants? "christains" should be "Christians", "cary" should be "carry", "unfortinatly " is "unfortunately", "rember" is "remember", ...oh, I give up. There's too many of them! You really should spend a lot more time focusing on your studies (especially grammar), and a lot less time preaching to people who have lived here for a long time.

There's nothing worst than a student from out of town telling us locals what to think and how to live our lives. Do you pay local taxes? Do you vote locally? Just curious.

I personally think that Loring Henderson needs to prove to the City that he can make the smaller shelter work properly before getting anything larger. That won't happen as long as he continues to let it be a "wet shelter", while not focusing more on people and families who really want to get out of their unfortunate predicament. I'd suggest to those who want to donate to the Loring's cause, to instead donate to Family Promise (see http://www.lawrencefamilypromise.org/). According to their site, "Family Promise is committed to helping low-income families nationwide to achieve lasting independence." Wow, independence. What a thought fallingwhilereading.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, Beelzebub. I looked at fallingwhilereading's profile and s/he claims to be a college student. I sincerely doubt it. S/he is just another troll, not even worth feeding.

Until there are new management and strictly enforced rules in place for the current wet shelter, there will continue to be strong opposition to a 'bigger and better' homeless shelter. As the saying goes, "you can put lipstick on it, but it's still a pig". People have no reason to believe that changing the locale of the shelter will do anything to change the attitudes or desires of the 'clients' there.

macon47 4 years, 1 month ago

we are already the homeless mecca of the mid west perhaps we should improve in it and pair up with a homeless siser city somewhere wouldnt that just be chummy??

Beelzebub 4 years, 1 month ago

Hah...LEARNED....have a nice day.

Beelzebub 4 years, 1 month ago

Still, you'll make a better impression if you write "good." BTW, I leaned the "3-Rs" at PS-9, Manhattan, NYC. not USD 497. And never allow yourself to get involved in trading personal attacks...blows your credibility right out the window.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

md If this is all I did all day I would put some time, and effort into this, but it isn't, and this is just for fun.

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 1 month ago

good god.

fallingwhilereading...

through, not "threw" your=possession, you're=you are their=possession, there=refers to a place/location, they're=they are

(not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, learn these)

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Beel As for my spelling, or grammer. I am wasting enough time on this crap. I am not going to put much into something like this. I have been here for 5 years, and sure I get irritated with some of the homeless there. I also get tired of the many reason some of those at the shelter's guest have why they can not become self sufficient. I do not give up on trying to do my part in this community. So naive youthful idealism is holding up just fine. I do wish I could say youth was still apart of my life, but I have gotten to old to say such things

Beelzebub 4 years, 1 month ago

Better brush up on spelling, grammar, and punctuation first. Then finish your MSW (or whatever) and go out and help these poor victims for a while. Then, after being used, abused, and lied to by these bums for a few years, you can let us know how well your naive youthful idealism is holding up.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

moocher That has been the first atempt to try to come up with a solution. Without understanding the issue's at the shelter. I got to give you that. Now what would you do with they mentally ill who really can not function? How about the homeless who are physically unable to work? I am not saying their aren't some who are abusing substances, and some who are trying to get a free ride. Yet would you rather those people out on the streets at night , and not being monitured. To run around your neighborhood. Or would you rather that they are in a safe place away from your property, and being monitered by someone?

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Beel If it was about natural selection retards like you would already be exstinct. If you are what USD 497 produces as educated people they need to close, and come up with a whole new system.

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 1 month ago

fallingwhilereading (anonymous) says... Most of the money to run the shelter comes from private donations. I do believe it is somewhere aroud 80% are private donations. Moocher What are you trying to say. Individuals with mental health should be taken care of. I know more than a few people in this town that couldn't work do to mental health issues. What would you do with these types of people Moocher. The finnal solution idea? Vetrans have the highest rate of becoming homeless. What would you do with our vetrans. Dump on them as well? Have you really put any thought into your questions, and ideas. From what I have read from your post you must be mentaly handicapped. Most of the negetive post have never posted a real solution to the cycle of homelessness. Instead of complianing why don't you lazy Kansans get up, and put some effort into helping the issue of homelessness. Donate some time at the shelter. Find resonable ways to help to make sure homeless do not cycle right back to being homeless. Try to find ways to prevent homelessness in the first place. Also put some thought into your ideas. Learn the issue before you speak on it. It isn't hard to ask question, and to listen.

Be my guest! I am to busy working 3 jobs to pay my bills and theirs also. Besides, I have some pride and anytime I have been down, I brushed my teeth, took a bath, got a pad and pen and went looking for additional or better employment. If these folks are smart enough to know how to milk the system, then they are smart enough to go to work and take care of themselves. Enablers are just that, those who pretend that the lifestyle of vagrents is ok, and just keep them in that system, while all the time getting a warm and fuzzy that they are helping. Helping most of those at the shelter would be cutting them off of everything, putting a voucher system of some type in place so if they want to eat or sleep, they have to do something for it. Now what would be wrong with that?

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

not It doesn't take much. Get struck by some redneck's car. Spend months in a hospital. Loose your job, becouse of down sizing. ect.... That what I keep speaking on. Think before you say anything. Dam you have to be M.R. to have posted that. What an idiot not

Beelzebub 4 years, 1 month ago

Give those who are having a hard time but are trying to get back on their feet a helping hand. Give the bums a 1-way ticket to ride the dog out of town. USD 497 is closing schools and we're worrying about bums and criminals. What about natural selection, liberal college types?

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

actually homelessness can't happen to anybody, only the deadbeats, or people too lazy to think about their future.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Uninformed Where do you get this idea that Lawrence is national know for allowing people to come here, and having a free ride? If you think being homeless isn't a misserable thing to go threw try it out. You have a real misconception about being homeless. Another Kansan who speaks about things they have no idea of what they are speaking about.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 1 month ago

I see what you're saying, Liberty275, but with many of our homeless here, it wouldn't work. We have too many that are chronic homeless and homeless by choice. Unfortunately, Lawrence has gained a national reputation as being welcoming and enabling to the homeless.

Programs like Family Promise are working because they address the homeless population that truly wants to be helped. Until Lawrence makes homelessness an unpleasant experience, I suspect we will continue to see more and more non-local homeless who are here for the free ride.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Beel You should stick to watching wrestling.

racerx 4 years, 1 month ago

“'No matter how well you run it, it will affect the values of the property out around there,'” said Gaye Kitsmiller, whose family has 160 acres of farm ground just south of the site that it hopes to develop into residential uses in the future."

A homeless shelter will affect property values...unlike the big behemoth of a Jail and sprawling industrial businesses located nearby?

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

I am studying, but I study at wheat library, and I happen to be lucky enough to have my own mac, and unfortinatly a pc laptop. So go back to your internet porn beel. I hope you can rember your earlier post this week. Those sites are blocked at the library. I did have to ask to find that out. So your earlier post was just talking sh** Wasn't it beel? I would ask you to put thought into your post. I already know you do not have it in you to do so.

Beelzebub 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeh....and why aren't you at work this morning? Mmmm...sure is nice and warm down here in the Library basement. Think I'll go upstairs and bum a smoke.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Kansans are not the smartest peanut in the turd. They definately do not understand what it means to be christain Think before you speak. Put some thought into what your saying.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

Liberty Other States have used this idea, and it doesn't work. Also the States that are on the recieving end have succsefully sued the State that sent their homeless to another State. Everyone has a right to live where they want to. Are you suggesting we put up border crossing, and cary papers, and have permission from the State Goverments to move from State to State. That is about the only way you could prevent somebody from moving into the area.

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

This may sound odd to some, but maybe people don't want a homeless shelter in Lawrence. A better idea would be to contract with older apartment buildings and subsidize a place for the homeless to live for a short time while they get back on their feet. Long term homeless should be given a bus ticket to san francisco.

When lawrence is a horrible place to be homeless, I guarantee you the number of homeless will fall considerably.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

specialedjayhawk Would you want to be relocated to the old Sunflower Ammo plant? Would you care to have your kids, or family running across that ground? Another special type of Kansan specialedjayhawk

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Put it on the old Sunflower Ammo site but people would complain about that as well.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

iamtired That is exactly what I am talking about. You speak before you put any thought into what your speaking about. I know Kansans are not the brightest bunch. They do clearly exspress themselves as christains, and have no clue what being a christian is. You are exactlly the reason people make fun of the midwest. (dumb rednecks)

emptymind 4 years, 1 month ago

Has anyone ever been homeless, wondering where you will sleep each night? Thru no fault of your own it can happen to anybody. Try it and see or else STFU!

Iam Tired 4 years, 1 month ago

Rent one of the old warehouses north of the interstate..... maybe where the surplus place closed. That is a long way from homes and should not hurt property values.

If they insist on being so close to the jail maybe Douglas County could just rent them rooms there. That would save a lot of work when the residents are arrested on failure to appear warrants.... Cut out the middle man, so to speak.

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone remeber pre homelessness? The federal govt closed down mental institutions and put the burdon of dealing with the fall out on the states. Fallingwhilereading talks about the veteran homeless rate. Shouldn't the burdon of the veterans (me included) go back under the care of the federal govt? Since we have such giving loving President in office now, wouldn't this be the time to force the feds to pony up and take back the system they dumped on state tax payers without offering any refund of the decades of taxes paid to house the mentally handicapped?

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 1 month ago

January What do you about managing the shelter. Have you writen the grants? Set up fund raissers? Sat down, and went threw the books? Try to provide for those who have nothing? What do you really know about managing a shelter. Sinc eyou have a problem with the way it's being managed. Lets see your resume, and see if you would be qualified to run the shelter. You must have some exsperiance running a none profit. You seem to think you know the shelter is being mismanaged. Let see what you really know. You just might be qualified?

januarygirl 4 years, 1 month ago

THE MONEY WILL NOT BE THERE TO SUPPORT THIS NEW SHELTER. THIS IS THE REALITY OF THE PLAN. THE COST TO START AND MAINTAIN WILL BE TO HIGH AND DEPENDINGON THE CITY OF LAWRENCE TO HELP WITH OUR STRETCHED TAX MONEY WON'T WORK. THESE ARE HARD TIMES AND ITS GOING TO HARDER. THERE ARE PROGRAMS IN PLACE TO HELP FAMILIES IN NEED. THE ADDED EXSPENCE OF THE LOCATION WITH TRANSPORTATION NEEDS FOR SERVICES WILL BE JUST ONE OF THE MANY. MISMANAGEMENT OF THE SHELTER IS THE BIG ISSUE!!!! THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED BEFORE ANY PLAN IS PUT INTO ACTION OR DESIDED.

januarygirl 4 years, 1 month ago

THE MONEY WILL NOT BE THERE TO SUPPORT THIS NEW SHELTER. THIS IS THE REALITY OF THE PLAN. THE COST TO START AND MAINTAIN WILL BE TO HIGH AND DEPENDING ON THE CITY OF LAWRENCE TO HELP WITH OUR STRETCHED TAX MONEY WON'T WORK. THESE ARE HARD TIMES AND ITS GOING TO HARDER. THERE ARE PROGRAMS IN PLACE TO HELP FAMILIES IN NEED. THE ADDED EXSPENCE OF THE LOCATION WITH TRANSPORTATION NEEDS FOR SERVICES WILL BE JUST ONE OF THE MANY. MISMANAGEMENT OF THE SHELTER IS THE BIG ISSUE!!!! THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED BEFORE ANY PLAN IS PUT INTO ACTION OR DECIDED.

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 1 month ago

It would be interesting to see the budgets for things like Burt Nash, LMH, and the housing people, just to see how many additional tax dollars are spent on our resident vagrents. Anyone know how to get and post this information?

jafs 4 years, 1 month ago

Tanger mall is an interesting idea - lots of empty space, not right in downtown, but not that far either.

And I agree that if it's too far from downtown, a lot of people will simply not go there.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 1 month ago

I see numerous camps springing up all over the outlying areas toward the east.

Leave the shelter where it is or to the Tangier mall. I believe that the further out it is placed, the less likely the wet shelter folks are going to use it. Which in turn would create an even greater presence downtown.

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

Bigger buildings mean bigger budgets =''s more drunks/wet shelter= more taxing Every year the cost of running this larger place will increase and we will pay for it.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 1 month ago

Translations of merrill's worn out postings: Neighborhoods and Downtown Lawrence, get used to the homeless. It's your fault they are homeless.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

Have people forgotten 8 -10 million lost jobs recently and those people may be out of work for years to come according to radio news. I say expect more homeless. The government should have bailed out mortgages not big banks aka the problem.

Again I say expect more homeless which is going to require more space. Lawrence, Kansas is kind of a glass house. Maybe these reckless culprits who created OUR new problem have a few extra dollars laying around? They have some long history of messing up financial institutions: http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

Ms Gaye Kitsmiller Lawrence taxpayers cannot afford anymore neighborhoods. With increased numbers of houses you have increased demand on services, and historically the funding of revenues generated by residential housing does not pay for the services, they require from a municipality.

A new school will require way too many acres in which taxpayers just paid $22,000 an acre during a recession,fire station 3 acres,park 15 acres, LPD station 5 acres,streets 50 acres. I don't know of any taxpayers who want to pick up the tab.

Meanwhile a homeless shelter will always have neighbors who do not want it in their neighborhood. So I suggest the old Allen Press building at 11th and New Hampshire. Or the old Food for Less Grocery store. The homeless are not going to disappear from downtown no matter what that is a given.

Downtown Lawrence Inc must realize that problems with retail business is way too much retail has been built in Lawrence,Kansas = economic displacement NOT economic growth. Our government bodies have been warned of this situation for at least 15-20 years however failed to respect the opinions. Like any other small town Lawrence,Kansas does not have an endless supply of retail dollars to spend. According to radio news this recession has no end in sight. No matter what local politicians say it's all rhetoric without substance.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Why is this site not showing comments posted the first time? I carefully checked for that. Jeesh, it's like a Monday morning all over again. It just did it again! It thanked me for posting and then it's not there & tells me to preview again.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

kwilkins74, perhaps you are not aware that most of the people at the Lawrence shelter are not locals, they come from out of town because the word is out how cushy it is and how naive Loring is. Many of those people are convicted felons, rapists and some pedophiles. Many of those people are dangerous and a danger to the people of this community. Some choose to be homeless and why wouldn't they when they can have a warm or air conditioned place to sleep at night, meals, bus passes to go anywhere in town. I don't know why some of you persist in seeing all of the homeless as victims because most of them are not. Yes, you will see articiles in the LJW about some poor family who came to stay at our shelter from Johnson Co.; you should ask yourself why they left Johnson County for the Lawrence shelter and carefully look at the children's faces in the photos. I am not having it! We can take care of our own, we our not obligated to take care of the mentally ill, convicts and criminals from other cities and states. Get your head out of the clouds.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 1 month ago

You dont get rid of a stray dog by feeding it. Lawrence needs to take care of its own, and send the bums from other places down the road. If they get a new shelter is should be smaller. We are closing schools but catering to able bodied men mooching off of the taxpayer. God Bless America

Jean1183 4 years, 1 month ago

I was not able to attend the meeting due to work.........some of us do THAT to have a home.........and I agree with Ms. McCaig that there should be more accountability from those who use the shelter. It needs to quit operating as a "wet" shelter. If we are only providing a place for alcoholics and drug users to crash, we will continue to attract those kind of people. The more space we provide the more will come. If they really want help, they need to be sober/clean when they use the shelter.

kwilkins74 4 years, 1 month ago

I cant believe how "upity" Lawrence has gotten over the years. The shelter has tried multiple locations to put the homeless, and it never fails, someone always complains. So now they are looking at the warehouse and people are still complaining. Is it really better that some are sleeping on Mass. st. or in our parks? There will always be homeless in lawrence. Just because all of these selfish people keep protesting doesn't mean the homeless will "disappear". Doesn't everyone deserve to have a warm place to sleep when they are down on their luck?

leedavid 4 years, 1 month ago

RockChalkJay....did you just say it would be OK with you if a homless shelter brought down the value of your home? This would be the house that you raise your family in and plan on selling one day. The profits being your retirement. You would be willing to sacrafice that for a homeless shelter? That is very kind of you. Very few people feel that way.

RockChalkJayBlog 4 years, 1 month ago

So... people with homes are concerned about people without homes trying to find a better place to stay at bringing down the value of their property? Sounds pretty selfish to me.

whiteknight00 4 years, 1 month ago

My question is who funds the homeless shelter??

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 1 month ago

the Prairie Park Neighborhood and Chaparral Neighborhood need to have 100 families show up.

Why does the city continue to endorse Loring Henderson in this shelter program? Why? Why does the city continue to use Neighborhood money to enhance the property the current shelter is in? How much has been spent to date and who benefits? What is the future plan for the building at 10th and Kentucky? This is beginning to look like the Hearthstone House all over, a place which no one in Neighborhood Resources claims to know who owns it, but it got plenty of money.

What goes?