Archive for Thursday, February 25, 2010

7-month-old grocery store in Basehor to close

February 25, 2010

— After only seven months in business, Wolf Creek Marketplace is closing its doors.

The 44,000-square-foot Basehor supermarket with its lighted howling wolf décor opened July 17, 2009, and will see its last customers this weekend.

Operating manager Kevin Barclay said the store didn’t have enough shoppers to keep it afloat in such a grueling economy.

“The people in Basehor really supported it, but we didn’t have enough traffic from the outlying areas, I think because Basehor isn’t really a destination shopping area,” Barclay said.

Barclay cited lack of development along Wolf Creek Parkway and the absence of the store’s planned second access point off 150th Street as additional reasons for the closure.

Though he didn’t give a definitive last day, he said the store wouldn’t be open past this weekend.

The store was a much-awaited, highly requested business in Basehor, and Barclay along with Benchmark Management owners Ed McIntosh and John Bell fought for more than five years to make it happen. But the grand opening was both a little too late and a little too early, Barclay said.

“We were about two years too late getting it in because our projections were from years ago before the economy bottomed out and the rooftops stopped building up,” Barclay said. “And we were about two years too early for this Cerner Corporation to go in at The Legends. With that coming in, those jobs and people moving here, this area’s just going to boom. It was a huge culmination of things that caused this closing.”

Basehor Mayor Terry Hill expressed sadness about the store’s demise, but said he was optimistic the building could be reused or a new store could open in the city.

“We’re looking forward to the possibility of a new supermarket coming in and being successful,” Hill said. “The community needs it.”

Shoppers selecting items from the store’s now-sparse shelves tell the same solemn story of Wolf Creek Marketplace’s collapse.

“I’m really sad,” Basehor resident Jane Ferris said. “The residents of the city waited a long time to have our own supermarket. Whether is was because of the economy or whatever else, I don’t know, but all of us are really sad.”

Comments

AS 4 years, 5 months ago

They should have lowered the prices. It doesn't take that much cost to deliever.

introversion 4 years, 5 months ago

Man, what an embarrassment.

If there was any way to make money off of it, I'd bet a lot that one of those Wal-Mart groceries go in there.

Small towns like Basehor love the perceived validation that comes with the attention that Wal Mart gives.

At any rate, the next business might choose a name that isn't already synonymous with a nuclear power plant.

Shardwurm 4 years, 5 months ago

Um...Introversion - Wolf Creek runs less than a mile from the store. There's Wolf Creek Vet clinic and other things.

Research much?

introversion 4 years, 5 months ago

um, yes, I research... much.

You're right, a creek and a vet clinic are also good things to name failing grocery businesses after.

BigPrune 4 years, 5 months ago

Without mapquesting it myself, where is Basehor anyway?

kawrivercrow 4 years, 5 months ago

There is a huge commuter population that works in KC that drives past this place on 24/40 twce a day. All this grocery had to do was send out coupons and mailers to this demographic and they would have been flush with customers.

introversion 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, folks, according to Bob,

"I don't Intro has any idea what he is talking about."

You're right Bob,

you don't I have any idea what I'm talking about.

You got me on that one.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 5 months ago

44,000 sq. feet. That might have had something to do with the closing.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 5 months ago

BigPrune..I DogPiled “Mapquest” and it took me to GeoCities.

Steve Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Not to fret, it was a big plot on the big picture, wait and see who moves in " Turdmart" , here it comes.

chieftain1234 4 years, 5 months ago

introversion im not sure but I dont imagine that the name had anything to do with the store going under. I have shopped there personally and my only problem was the prices seemed to high when I could drive to walmart or price chopper 5 miles away.

classclown 4 years, 5 months ago

Was it one of those trendy, niche, feel good all organic stores or a normal one?

terrarichard 4 years, 5 months ago

Excuse me as I get on my soapbox here, but I am soooo disappointed. I've waited so long to get what we had! The prices were NOT too high, they were the same as "Price Chopper"and those who actually shopped there REGULARLY would know that. The point system was awesome, not just a way to "act" like you are getting a real deal when you use your card, like a private club, but you actually GET free items and rewards for using your card. Plus, the management was so great, that you would be shopping and one of them would come out and greet you, help you find things, and best of all offer you COUPONS for MONEY OFF. I felt like I was walking on water when I shopped there. It was very personable and friendly. You don't get that kind of treatment at Price Chopper, and surely never Wal-Mart! In fact, my belief is that Wal-Mart is part of the problem. Good luck to those of you who are such Wall-Mart supporters. Pretty soon that is ALL you are going to have in your cities, as they come into every town and KILL every small buisiness that relies on the community to support them. When people do their (yes, very convienient) one stop shopping for pharmaceuticals, everyday needs, and groceries, all at one place, it hurts those places that treat you with the small town respect and care. Wolf Creek Marketplace.... you will be missed!!! Thanks for all you did!

yankeevet 4 years, 5 months ago

Just alot of competition out there....................

Steve Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

The greed for cheap prices overcome personall service and respect. Get used to it, mom and pop are gone, just the hard liners are holding in there, turd mart will prevail once again, like it or not !!

BigPrune 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry, I was just being a smart *ss since there were quite a few responses to the article.

mellyandthejets 4 years, 5 months ago

@barrypenders: the new turnpike exit is the tonganoxie/eudora exit - along ways from Basheor. The turnpike exit has nothing to do w/ the Wolf Creek Market closing. and @yankeevet: there's not a lot of competion out there by the Legends, Basheor, Tonganoxie. Tonganoxie has one gross supermarket called B&J. They are too expenisve and the store is always unclean. The next market would have been Wolf Creek Market and then of course Walmart. If you are in Tonganoxie, sometimes that a 20min drive to a clean, well stocked, grocery store. I would say there is not enough competition.....

yellowhouse 4 years, 5 months ago

I would wonder what the rent cost? its not easy to be in business these days.