Archive for Tuesday, February 23, 2010

City commission may back off school closing opposition

February 23, 2010

When it came time to put pen to paper, city commissioners toned down a letter that once was designed to urge Lawrence school board members to not close any schools in the district.

On a 4-1 vote Tuesday, city commissioners agreed to send a revised letter to school board members that expressed concern about possible school closings but stopped short of directly asking the board to not close schools.

“I just felt it was inappropriate to direct them to do something,” said Commissioner Mike Dever, who suggested the toned-down language. “But I felt like it was important for us to weigh in on the issue.”

The original draft letter asked the board “not to close any of Lawrence’s schools.” The approved letter replaces that phrase with a request for the board “to carefully consider the impact of school closures on the community as a whole and the neighborhoods affected by the closures.”

Mayor Rob Chestnut voted against sending the letter, but will sign it because that is a customary duty of the mayor.

Chestnut said he understood the importance of neighborhood schools, but that he wasn’t comfortable with the commission taking a position on the issue without better understanding the district’s entire situation.

Commissioner Lance Johnson voted for the letter because he said he supported the spirit of the message, but expressed concern that the city was offering advice without offering a specific solution.

“I am concerned that this is really just lip service unless we back it up and say this is how we can help you,” Johnson said.

Commissioners Mike Amyx and Aron Cromwell both had suggested the city send the letter. Amyx said he preferred the original language that was more explicit in asking the board to not close schools.

“I would urge them to truly make closing any neighborhood school the last decision they consider,” Amyx said.

Comments

fshsbird 4 years, 10 months ago

WE NEED A EMERGENCY VOTE FOR A SCHOOL TAX, A ONE TIME TAX THAT WOULD BE FOR $500 PER HOUSEHOLD AND $2500 PER BUSINESS. ITS OUR OBLIGATION TO OUR COMMUNITY. AND NO I DONT LIVE IN WEST LAWRENCE.

Kip Patzel 4 years, 10 months ago

fshsbird

Are you nuts another "one time tax" whatever it well then be a two times or three time tax..... there has to be a better solution, I am not for school closings but taxing everyone who ownes a home or business is a joke, maybe support staffers and upper official could take a pay cut, something?

fshsbird so let say there is a one time tax can I count on you to make up the difference when my son is ready to attend school in 2 years.....

more taxes NO FREKIN way you must be smokin K2

leedavid 4 years, 10 months ago

So the city commission should not be concerned about the education of its people? Is that really what we are saying? The school board just runs unchecked. My kids are long done with school. I'm just asking.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 10 months ago

You can watch city commission meetings online. How far away are we from taking public comment with webcams in homes? The technology is there. The technology is also there to educate kids in their own homes through internet technology. Having a 'virtual school' on the internet costs almost nothing compared to all the buildings yearly upkeep. There would be positives (such as saving a good amount of $$) for 'virtual schools' as well as some so-called negatives (we could let a good number of staff go.) Tough decisions need to be made, and made now. Not much 'change' is positively embraced, but in this case it is needed. The technology to save a good chunk of money exists, let's start using it!

geekin_topekan 4 years, 10 months ago

"you are a Free State supporter, I doubt you live on the east side" +++ I believe that boundary line is 15th street. Therefore, he/she could live all the way to the meth house and attend Free state.

Ward 4 years, 10 months ago

Geez. The City Commission should be directing the tone of the letter and not the City Manager's Office if the letter is from the City Commission.

fshsbird 4 years, 10 months ago

HEY RICHARD. I LIVE NO WHERE NEAR FREE STATE HIGH SCHOOL. AND BARGE. YES I WILL BE READY TO SUPPORT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM WHEN YOUR KID GETS THERE BECAUSE AFTER READING YOUR QUOTE, I AM SURE HE IS GOING TO NEED A EDUCATION OUTSIDE THE HOUSE. ALL OF YOU POT SMOKERS JUST WANT TO BLAME OTHER PEOPLE INSTEAD OF JUST TAKING CARE OF THE SITUATION HEAD ON. CLINTON STARTED THIS PROBLEM AND OBAMA IS GOING TO SEND US ALL TO THE POOR HOUSE. OPEN YOUR EYES. PEOPLE. A BAD SCHOOL SYSTEM LEADS TO A POOR COMMUNITY.

mamallama 4 years, 10 months ago

@did_i_say_that - - word. what a bunch of chickens.

Kip Patzel 4 years, 10 months ago

fshsbird Get out of bed with the meth producers on the east side put your K2 away and wake up!!!

I am not the one that is stoned you are if you think a " one time tax" is the answer. There is now way this is a long term fix to any issue from schools to the famous empT.

get a grip and get you hand out of my pockets, if you want to pay so much $$$ maybe the emergency should be you selling your home, moving into the "shelter" and donating the proceeds to the school district that is " this one time"

P.S. " don't probe me Bro"

Amy Heeter 4 years, 10 months ago

John Kyle 4 years, 10 months ago

artichokeheart said "School districts everywhere are closing schools it is the plight of having a socialist president."

Socialists support taxation to support public schools. It's the republicans who have slashed the taxes so much that we are forced to close schools. Too bad you didn't take advantage of our public school system. You could always learn something at the library......oh wait, that's a socialist organization.

headdoctor 4 years, 10 months ago

Most ignorant post so far today.

anonyname 4 years, 10 months ago

fshsbird, I doubt you see the laughable irony in your saying someone 'needs an education outside the house' in a post filled with grammatical errors, not to mention ignoring the internet convention (followed by every other poster on this thread) that all caps is YELLING.

headdoctor 4 years, 10 months ago

anonyname (anonymous) says... someone 'needs an education outside the house' in a post filled with grammatical errors, not to mention ignoring the internet convention (followed by every other poster on this thread) that all caps is YELLING.

Maybe Vito is running loose on the forum again?

brujablanco 4 years, 10 months ago

artichokeheart (anonymous) says... School districts everywhere are closing schools it is the plight of having a socialist president. //////////////////////////////////////////////////// Wow, what a statement. Care to back that up with some facts?
Do you realize that Social Security Disability is a socialist program, welfare; the list goes on? I think you should read more history books. Put down the Enquirer. :-)

amrose42683 4 years, 10 months ago

Why must people blame Obama for this mess? He hasn't had nearly enough time to clean up W's trash ... and he never will. It will take several terms and several presidents to clean up that man's messes. As far as a "one time tax" ... you can pay my $500 if you got that kind of money because I sure don't ... and you say Obama is the one who's going to send us all to the poor house. It's not Obama, it's stupid ideas like that.

Caesar_Augustus 4 years, 10 months ago

Recently, USD497 hired several cannibals to increase its ethnic diversity. "You are all part of our team now," said the Superintendent during the welcoming briefing. "You get all the usual benefits, but please do not eat any employees." The cannibals promised they would not. Four weeks later, their boss remarked: "You're all working very hard and I'm satisfied with your work. Actually, we have noticed a marked increase in the whole school system's performance since you have been here. However, one of our teachers has disappeared. Do any of you know what happened to her?" The cannibals all shook their head and said "No." After the boss left, the leader of the cannibals said to the others, "Which of you idiots ate the teacher?" Hesitantly, a cannibal in the back row raised his hand. "You fool!" the leader said. "For four weeks, we've been eating administrators and no one even noticed - but you had to go and eat someone who actually does something!"

paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

There is a rumor, that some developers have made contributions to some of our farthest north schools with instructions that none of the extra monies be shared with the poorer schools. Extra taxes? I don't think so. Proper use of funds...yes.

fshsbird 4 years, 10 months ago

barge, I will probe whoever I want. dont get mad just because the house your frequent on 15th street got busted making meth. dont take it out on me. I sure you will find another dealer. all of you have no idea what the word ( COMMUNITY ) means. do you see any schools in Johnson County closing, no, they take care of their own. and head doc, Meet me on your front porch at 10th and Kentucky this evening and we can discuss further.

efgh 4 years, 10 months ago

I am not saying that anyone is right or wrong about this situation, but instead of arguing about it its time to do something about it. My 2 children go to one of the schools that is being considered to be closed. Instead of the city spending so much money on studies and reviews they could invest that money into the school system.