Archive for Monday, February 22, 2010

Former U.S. Sen. Bob Dole admitted to hospital

February 22, 2010, 5:16 p.m. Updated February 22, 2010, 5:29 p.m.

— Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole is recuperating at Walter Reed Army Medical Center after a bout with pneumonia, his spokesman said Monday.

Dole, 86, was admitted to the military hospital about three weeks ago with a respiratory condition, spokesman Michael Marshall said. Dole soon recovered but has remained at the hospital to undergo physical therapy for knee surgery he underwent late last year.

“Thanks to the great doctors and nurses at Walter Reed, I am making great strides, working between (therapy) sessions and hope to be fully recovered and back at the office in a few weeks,” Dole said in a statement.

Marshall said the pneumonia set Dole back and that he would need more time in the hospital to regain his strength.

Dole overcame disabling war wounds to forge a 36-year political career. In the early 1990s, he underwent successful surgery for prostate cancer, and in 2001 he had surgery to treat an aneurysm.

He served four terms in the House before he was elected to the Senate in 1968. He went on to become one of GOP’s most influential leaders. He retired from the Senate in 1996 to run for president against Democrat Bill Clinton.

Dole is now a lobbyist and special counsel in the law firm of Alston and Bird.

He is married to Elizabeth Hanford Dole, who also served in the Senate in a seat from North Carolina until losing re-election last year.

Comments

beatrice 4 years, 1 month ago

I didn't always agree with him, and I certainly didn't vote for him as President, but I never had any bad feelings for the man. Dole is okay in my book. Get well soon Senator.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

"He was what a Republican used to be."

Was? Still is...

;-)

Go Bob!

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

"He was what a Republican used to be."

Exactly, Cait.
I'm a Democrat but I always liked Bob Dole. He's extremely quick-witted and has a great sense of humor. He served our country well in WWII and then with his years in office wherein he represented our state with pride. When we went from Dole to Brokeback, we went from chicken salad to chicken you-know-what. Get well soon, Bob!

ivalueamerica 4 years, 1 month ago

I must say, I never voted for him and seldom agree with him on anything, but I have admired him as a tireless public servant who believed in what he was doing and dedicated his life to his country.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

Me either, Scott. I always thought the man had a lot of class. He was what a Republican used to be.

scott3460 4 years, 1 month ago

"How long until the so-called "people with compassion" start wishing him ill? "

Not me. Get Well, Senator.

Agnostick 4 years, 1 month ago

lol Soap, that'a about right!

He's always been a classy guy. Great sense of humor, too. Get well soon, Bob!

diplomacy205 4 years, 1 month ago

I wish him a speedy recovery.

How long until the so-called "people with compassion" start wishing him ill?

Soap 4 years, 1 month ago

“Thanks to the great doctors and nurses at Walter Reed, Bob Dole is making great strides, working between (therapy) sessions and Bob Dole hopes to be fully recovered and back at the office in a few weeks,” Dole said in a statement.

fixed..

David Albertson 4 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe they sent him to Walter Reed. I guess that's better than Lawrence Memorial.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 1 month ago

Good wishes for a fast recovery!