Archive for Saturday, February 6, 2010

Seabury student bee champ 3rd year in a row

Isaac Ward, Bishop Seabury Academy eighth-grader, wins first place at the Douglas County Spelling Bee on Saturday.

February 6, 2010

Stefan Petrovic, Broken Arrow School sixth-grader, places second at the spelling bee for fourth- through eighth-graders.

Genevieve Voigt, Wakarusa Valley School sixth-grader, places third in the bee at Southwest Junior High School.

With the word “squalor,” Isaac Ward had a clean win for his third and final title as Douglas County Spelling Bee champion.

“It feels awesome,” said the Bishop Seabury Academy eighth-grader.

In 2008, Ward won with the word “hysterical.” A year later, he won again by spelling “agile” correctly.

On Saturday morning, Ward and 24 other Douglas County fourth- through eighth-graders showed off their spelling skills on stage at Southwest Junior High School, 2511 Inverness Drive.

As an eighth-grader, this is the last year Ward is able to compete in the spelling bee, sponsored by the Lawrence Journal-World.

On March 13, Ward and second-place winner Stefan Petrovic, a sixth-grader at Broken Arrow School, will advance to the regional spelling bee in Topeka.

Petrovic and Ward went several rounds before Petrovic lost by misspelling “orthogonal,” a tricky word that means intersecting at right angles.

Despite a flurry of butterflies, Petrovic said he attempted to stay calm by taking deep breaths and trying to laugh.

And though advancing to the regional competition means having to spend an hour or more every day learning to spell big words, Petrovic is excited to be making the trip.

“It’s going to take a lot of work,” he said.

Comments

jmw 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey, my son won the spelling bee! Please stop the inappropriate comments!

Juli Warren-Ward

kugrad 4 years, 10 months ago

Congrats to the winner; good luck at the next level!

not_that_crazy 4 years, 10 months ago

"Congrats Isaac! Hope the Reeces and Grabills like your English teacher, or he/she may be gone at year's end!"

Unfortunately funny. It just takes one parent at Seabury to make a difference....

Hop2It 4 years, 10 months ago

Good Job everyone! Isaac, three years in a row is pretty awesome. I am lost even with spell check.

lawrencechick 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm very happy for the winner, but I have to wonder if words like "hysterical" or "squalor" or really worthy of being final words for an eighth grader. Has the bar really been set that low?

ku567 4 years, 10 months ago

The last name is spelled "Reese" not "Reece"...so apparently you all really know what you're talking about.

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

flux 4 years, 10 months ago

Right on Isaac! I dont even know you but you deserve a new car.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 10 months ago

Whatever. I can argue with the best of them, but lay off a kid who won this three years in a row and has awesome hair.

theguy10 4 years, 10 months ago

i can not believe the mom posted a comment on here.. that is the difference between an achieved athletes parent and a parent of a good student who gets in the paper for spelling the word squalor

Scott Tichenor 4 years, 10 months ago

Isaac is a cool kid. My daughter goes to school with him. Bravo, Isaac!

emmya0325 4 years, 10 months ago

Everyone needs to stop with the rude comments. Isaac is a good person. If you write rude comments about a person you don’t even know, I can only imagine that your self-esteem is extremely low. Did no one teach you manners at all? Isaac, don’t listen to anything they say. I’m positive that the people who write rude comments are the ones that would hate to get rude comments if they are ever to accomplish anything. Great job Isaac!

Iward 4 years, 10 months ago

All right. Did you really think I wouldn't be reading the online comments on a story about myself?

Do you really not have anything better to do than insult the HAIR of somebody who just won a spelling bee? If you don't, go outside. Get some fresh air. Have fun. Don't insult people online.

Thank you.

Isaac

mothernature 4 years, 10 months ago

yeah private schooling wins again! The lower class never had a chance.

KansasPerson 4 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations Isaac!!! Spelling in front of a crowd is not as easy as some people seem to think it is. Actually, judging from what I see online, good spellers are in short supply no matter where you look. Good job! And don't let these people get you down. Believe me, they don't represent the majority of Lawrence people -- just the mean-spirited ones who are brave enough to pick on an eighth-grader.

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe my comment was removed, especially when I mentioned that my own daughter didn't care about her hair either in 8th grade. just how some kids are. I was actually defending him from some of the comments above mine who were actually criticizing him, but okay, people, if that is how you feel.

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

Isaac, since we know you are reading this, truthfully, your hair does look a little messy and unkempt in the picture. But I know a lot of kids your age just like it that way, and are not obsessed with how people see them. One of my kids in junior high was the same way. We were lucky if the hair got brushed before it went out the door. It just wasn't the priority, which is fine. To each his own.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 10 months ago

"mom_of_three (Anonymous) says…Isaac, since we know you are reading this, truthfully, your hair does look a little messy and unkempt in the picture."

Whatever. His hair is awesome. Who the hell are you to tell him that his hair looks unkempt? You've always looked a little overweight to me, but I know that some older women don't care... see what I did there? <3

theguy10 4 years, 10 months ago

HGym 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey Isaac! Great job winning the spelling bee! You rock! (By the way you have awesome hair)

From your Philadelphia Fan Club