Archive for Friday, February 5, 2010

Lawrence man charged after Sacred Journey investigation

Jonathan Sloan charged with multiple counts of manufacturing, distributing controlled substances

Officials from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Johnson County Sheriff's Office and Lawrence Police Department, conducted a search and seizure in February 2010 inside Lawrence's Sacred Journey — a store at the center of the K2 controversy in Kansas.

February 5, 2010, 2:01 p.m. Updated February 5, 2010, 8:04 p.m.

Arrest made after K2 raids

K2 is no longer being sold in Lawrence businesses after raids and an arrest. A 29-year-old Lawrence man accused of selling and distributing the controlled substance will have a preliminary hearing in April. Enlarge video

K2 Debate

Lawrence is a focal point for the current debate in the Kansas Legislature about banning the active ingredient in an herbal substance known as K2. Follow the debate and the progress of the Kansas bills here.

The charges against Sloan

• Unlawful manufacturing of controlled substances: Dimethlyltryptamine (DMT)

• Unlawful manufacturing of controlled substances: Mescaline

• Unlawful manufacturing of controlled substances: Lysergic Acid Amide

• Unlawful cultivation or distribution of controlled substances: Mescaline

• Unlawful cultivation or distribution of controlled substances: Dimethlyltryptamine; Chacruna; Illinois Bundleflower; Epena; Cebil Seeds.

• Unlawful cultivation or distribution of controlled substances: Bufotenine, Epena, Chaliponga, Cebil Seeds, Colorado River Toads.

• Unlawful cultivation or distribution of controlled substances: Lysergic Acid Amide, Morning Glory Seeds, Rivea Corymbosa.

• Unlawful possession of certain drug precursors and drug paraphernalia: Plastic jugs and filters used or intended for unlawful use to manufacture, cultivate, plant propagate, harvest, test, analyze or distribute a controlled substance.

Related document

Sacred Journey press release ( .PDF )

It’s not yet illegal, but federal officials and local law enforcement have pulled the popular, marijuana-like substance known as K2 off the shelves at the Lawrence store Sacred Journey, 1103 Mass.

The Food and Drug Administration, along with area police, raided the store and a major distributor of the herbal mixture Thursday, leading to drug charges against a Lawrence man in Jefferson County.

Jonathan Sloan, 29, owner of Bouncing Bears Botanicals, was charged in Jefferson County District Court on Friday with eight felony drug offenses, including the unlawful manufacturing and distribution of controlled substances.

Jefferson County Attorney Caleb Stegall said Sloan was arrested after an investigation of a warehouse facility he owns in Oskaloosa, north of Lawrence. Bouncing Bears Botanicals, 14501 S. U.S. Highway 59, had supplied Sacred Journey with K2, along with other herbal products. Federal, state and local authorities seized more than $700,000 in cash from Sloan’s business and bank accounts. Numerous items, including thousands of cactus plants and 20 toads, were removed from the warehouse, according to warehouse employees and Sloan’s attorney.

The charges come one day after law enforcement seized Sacred Journey’s entire K2 supply, other “ethnobotanicals” and certain cactus plants. Authorities on scene said the FDA was in charge of the investigation, but an FDA spokesman said the agency does not publicly comment on active investigations.

The raid and seizure at the store came as a “shock” to Melissa Hart, who resigned as Sacred Journey store manager on Friday.

She said the store was very careful in ensuring that the products it sold complied with state and federal laws.

“We had no knowledge of anything that was illegal,” she said.

The store reopened Friday.

The FDA has yet to release further details about the investigation.

Sloan’s attorney, Scott Gyllenborg, said his client was operating a legitimate botanical plant business, which he said was “one of the country’s, if not the world’s, biggest distributors of these botanicals.”

“These are remedies. These are items used in religious ceremonies that are legal, that can be put to illegal purposes,” Gyllenborg said.

Sloan is scheduled to return April 13 to Jefferson County District Court for a preliminary hearing. Prosecutors said more charges could be filed against him. Bond was set at $150,000.

Johnson County officials raised public awareness about K2 in November, warning that the substance is a synthetic version of marijuana, though it’s marketed as an incense.

Kansas House legislators this week passed a bill that would make illegal the sale or possession of the substances found in K2, but that legislation has yet to become law. Gov. Mark Parkinson has spoken in favor of the bill, which is expected to hit his desk this session.

Sacred Journey has been at the center of the debate about K2, as store employees and customers have begun speaking out against a ban on the substance.

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 8 months ago

So... they ARE selling something other than incense.

[YES, I understand... not guilty until/unless convicted, blah, blah... we've heard it before, so we don't need to read any constitutional tirades...]

Beth Bird 4 years, 8 months ago

What are all of those things? I have not heard of them before...I googled some of them but didn't get anywhere....

been_there 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, since other law agencies are involved we won't have to worry about Branson letting them get off.

Atalanta 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, what this worthless article fails to discuss is this: what is Jonathan Sloan's connection to either business? Is he an owner? An employee? A distributor/vendor? WHAT?

I'd encourage all of you to stop your stupid speculation without more information. I don't know the answers to this and I doubt many of the people commenting here do, either. And if someone does, please share with the rest of us. Obviously the LJW doesn't believe in researching anything with any amount of depth.

Olympics 4 years, 8 months ago

What about the children???? THE CHILDREN!

War on drugs...oh so so effective.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 8 months ago

Atalanta--

We're obviously still working on this story. We've had three reporters working on different parts of this story and will have more information as we develop it.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Atalanta 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, look forward to reading some information that is actually useful. That's the problem with breaking new - it isn't really very newsy.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

Does this mean I'll be in trouble if I grow Morning Glories this spring? I mean, if the seeds can get you in trouble....

handy 4 years, 8 months ago

I've lived in Kansas my whole life, but after this fiasco, I am sure that I am moving to another state after graduation. While many states are becoming progressive, our state seems to be the only one that is regressive.

More laws to outlaw substances = more tax dollars, more prisons built, more officers needed, jobs jobs jobs. Don't think for a second that they care about us, or our children.

bookemdano 4 years, 8 months ago

Someone named happypill doesn't know about drug names? Just kidding...

Anyway, Mescaline is a hallucinogen that comes from various cactii (which probably explains the cactii that were siezed in yesterday's raid). Familiar with peyote? That's mescaline.

Lysergic Acid Amide is a relative of the old standby LSD, and it can be found in seeds of the Morning Glory plant. I think it has hallucinogenic properties on its own, but can also be used to create LSD.

Bufotenin is one of the hallucogenic compounds in the venom of the colorado river toad. You have heard of people licking toads to get high? That's the chemical that does it.

Dimethlyltryptamine is another hallucinogen derived from plants. Chemically similar to the "magic" ingredient in magic mushrooms.

All of this stuff is banned in the US, and none of it has anything to do with K2 or other cannibis derivatives. Pretty stupid to be messing with it, especially in a place of business.

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like this dude runs in the same crowd as Bevis and Butthead as they were always sucking on a frog's butt for a buzz. I have an open mind when it comes to drugs but smoking frog spit/posion/skin is just f-ing nasty. I think i would rather huff video head cleaner

"The toad's primary defense system are glands that produce a poison that may be potent enough to kill a grown dog.[1] These parotoid glands also produce the 5-MeO-DMT [2] and bufotenin for which the toad is known; both of these chemicals belong to the family of hallucinogenic tryptamines. The presence of these substances in the skin and poison of the toad produces psychoactive effects when smoked.[3]

Bufotenine is a Schedule I controlled substance in the U.S. While possession of the toad is not a crime in itself (in Arizona, U.S.A., one may legally bag up to ten toads with a fishing license), it could constitute a criminal violation if it can be shown that one is in possession of this toad with the intent to milk and smoke its venom.[4] In November 2007, a man in Kansas City was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance when police discovered B. alvarius toad poison in his possession"

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad (Anonymous) says…

So… they ARE selling something other than incense.

I'm not so sure about that. It only mentions one person getting charged. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

shorttrees 4 years, 8 months ago

Happypill- Most of the things listed are in the hallucinogen category, many of them used by native groups in many parts of the world. Mescaline comes from peyote, which comes from a cactus. Lysergic acid amide (LSA) comes from morning glory and other seeds such as the rivea corymbosa and Hawaaian woodrose, and is considered to be a precursor to LSD as well. Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is extracted from plants such as acacia and mimosa, and then smoked.

WIth the exception of the toads (South American tribes got wasted from the excretions they licked off of certain types of toads) everything seems pretty much plant based.

Ray_Finkle 4 years, 8 months ago

Colorado River Toad. I've been bored before but it never crossed my mind to milk a toad and smoke its venom. Who discovered this?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

"Lacquer head knows but one desire Lacquer head sets his skull on fire Lacquer head knows no in-betweens Huffin' on bags of gasoline"

Jean1183 4 years, 8 months ago

handy.....don't let the door "hit ya"

In this economy, I can't imagine why anyone would gripe about the creation of jobs or say that by outlawing mind-altering substances that they don't care about kids.

cowboy 4 years, 8 months ago

It would appear this guy was extracting various controlled substances from plants , DMT which produces a intense but short trip , mescaline from a cousin of the peyote , and lysergics from a variety of plants and seeds. Looking at a few quick searches there are a bundle of websites that offer these plants , how to's , and all who seem to think it's legal. Now I'm just guessing that the feds don't like seeing this go on , and maybe some of this guys product was beginning to show up in the ER's as medical cases. Total speculation on my part.

find something real to do to get your kicks !

Keith 4 years, 8 months ago

As usual, they're stacking up the charges so they can offer to drop a bunch of them if he'll just plead to one or two.

avoice 4 years, 8 months ago

Atalanta: Maybe you could get a job with LJW. Not only did that take hours, but three reporters (plus you).

d_prowess 4 years, 8 months ago

So if the K2 wasn't the problem, why aren't they selling it anymore?

damnitimpissed 4 years, 8 months ago

another distraction, citizens; ignore the fact that the state is broke, the residents of the state are broke and both political parties are incompetent. I don't smoke K-2 but this is the least of my concerns...

Richard Payton 4 years, 8 months ago

Why didn't Douglas County Sherriff handle this? Johnson County Sherriff is out of jurisdiction when in Douglas County right or wrong?

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 8 months ago

you know what would crack me UP !

is if he went to trial and a bunch of the Jury Had shopped in his store and bought K2 from him. I am Sure they would not find him guilty.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 8 months ago

@ ChiHawkInKS...

I heard that you were a jenkem drug mule. Actually, we all are.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 8 months ago

I just read the Charges and he is being charged for the chemical content of drugs in Random plants...... LSD contained in Morning glory Seeds ..

Cant you buy morning glory seeds at K-mart and walmart ?

I am surprised they didn't Charge him with possessions of Uranium ( radioactive Material ) contained in the smoke detector in his home.

Atalanta 4 years, 8 months ago

@avoice - I don't think they'd hire me after this series of comments. ;-) Also, I like feeling good about my job.

Richard Payton 4 years, 8 months ago

Wait till the compassionate care centers establish business in Lawrence if Kansas Legislator Gail Finney gets her way. She is from Wichita and introduced the medical mary jane bill this week. Puff the magic dragin lives by the toke.

erika27 4 years, 8 months ago

Jonathan was selling nothing illegal. All the substances sold through his business - the cacti, the morning glory seeds, etc. - are unscheduled substances in the United States. You can buy San Pedro cacti at your local Home Depot - so unless the federal government is planning on shutting down every Home Depot, Lowes, and nursery in the United States, they have no grounds to arrest this man and take his business, his money, and his freedom. This is a disgrace.

grannyd 4 years, 8 months ago

What about airplane glue or aerosol paint-has anyone raided Walmart, Target, Hobby Lobby or Michaels etc.? Why is Johnson County involved when Douglas County is not? There's always a target in this town that has nothing to do with the real problems (i.e. the economic demise of a once vital downtown area, the rapidly growing homeless situation or the school funding crisis). I guess it's easier to focus on the easiest and most sensational issues, not the ones that are most important.

Jeremy 4 years, 8 months ago

I like that the attorney immediately established the "religious ceremonies" defense.

My religion requires me to smoke crack to see my god. Therefore, I can smoke crack, because of my religion.

Awesome!

majiktami 4 years, 8 months ago

morning glory seeds? really? they were probably selling catnip and mint and chamomile too.

George_Braziller 4 years, 8 months ago

Guess I should get rid of the last Morning Glory seed pods still hanging on the fence. I planted them last summer from seeds I got at Westlake Hardware. Here I was just thinking I was planting flowers. Turns out I have a "controlled substance" in my yard.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

If none of this stuff is illegal then why are they shaking this guy down?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 8 months ago

I could see this creating some interesting case law. This is better than Yellow House!!!

I'm gonna get a large buttered popcorn and watch with anticipation for new developments!!!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

While K2 is not yet illegal, law enforcement has said the herbal mixture, which is marketed and sold as incense, is being smoked by young people to get high.

I swear they've used this sentence in every single release related to this story.

If the guy was doing illegal things it sounds like Shontz rolled over on him...

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Young people aren't the only ones smoking it.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

"Authorities also seized Sacred Journey's entire K2 supply, other “ethnobotanicals” sold by the store and certain cactus plants that Shontz said can contribute to the production of illegal drugs."

Nobody likes a rat.

Devon Kissinger 4 years, 8 months ago

rtpayton (Anonymous) says…

Probably was a multi-agency drug task force.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

Well damn it, I'm gonna grow Morning Glory plants this year anyway! Until I see a law in print stating the flowers are illegal. I never got more than a "C" in high school or college chemistry, so I don't have the expertise needed to do anything with the seeds other than save them to plant more flowers! As for the licking toads thing, ewwwww. Multi, my friend, wouldn't you agree there are better things to luck? (misspelled intentionally)

lawthing 4 years, 8 months ago

Why is this in District court?

Why is the Postal Inspector not involved if the web site was shipping the products?

Why is this case not Federal if Federal Agencies are investigating?

And why is the IRS not involved if over $700,000 was seized?

These charges are not making any sense to me.

croutons 4 years, 8 months ago

Hmm, okay so some guy in Oskalooska got arrested for controlled substances. Meanwhile, the cops seized a substance from a store in Lawrence--the illegality of which is still pending. This perplexes me. Did they seize the K-2 as a favor to the store in expectation of the bill being passed soon? "Hey we're going to do you guys a favor and take this stuff that might be illegal soon that way when it is, you'll be scot free!"

If that's not the reason, what is? I could care less about K-2; I hadn't even heard of it until this week. What bothers me is seizure of something that is still perfectly legal to carry, and will be until the bill passes. What's next? Will all Americans begin to have their Playstation 3's seized tomorrow in anticipation of a possible bill being passed in 2016 making Playstation 3's illegal?

pace 4 years, 8 months ago

I am saddened they didn't jump out of the trunks of the cars during the bust. It is so clark kent just to walk up to a business and ruin them. The money being spent on herbs could be used to help the old ladies suffering the Kansas health cuts. Driving the elderly to live under the bridge so they can afford to oppress the herbs seem so fundamentally right.

gdpetron 4 years, 8 months ago

What Law maker and how many smoked K2 already in order to determine the effects? How can this product which is sold at a retail level be bad for Kansas? Taxes are being paid on the LEGAL product. Taxes could be paid on the 'smell of fresh cut grass' if only they could figure out how!

ThinkFreedomcage 4 years, 8 months ago

To me this is the situation, people in law enforcement- government see this as an opportunity to look good and most likely get raises/agenda or spend Jon's money on there own vices.. they probably celebrated with some beers after they where done thinking they did a good service to the community... unfortunately this situation is the opposite and although Jon is paying a huge price .. we are basically saying "yeah put it in there I don't care if its rusty .. you said it makes sense right?" greed, politics, IGNORANCE on many levels and in a a way spiritual genocide. If things keep going this way as the majority walks blind folded like sheep with "Satan" (not the stuff you can eat) as the shepherd what the *uck think is going to happen? Your gonna stay in that yard your gonna lose your freedom and its going to look like you enjoyed it!

Oh and just FYI nothing BB sold was manufactured, everything was raw or alive.. and as I read and know none of the things BB where selling are banned in the U.S. YES you can get a san pedro from Home Depot etc etc

So this is the summary K2 not illegal but seized. One man who is truly innocent facing ridiculous charges. And another step towards a nice sterile sheepy community.. good job.

Control control control we will be controlled.

one of my favorite quotes

"Herbs are good for everything.. Why do all these people want to do so much good for everyone? Call themselves government and this n that.. why? they say you musnt smoke the herb because it make you rebel ... ... against what?"

Everyone will have the outside view.. that this person was a monster or good another drug dealer off the street.. duhhhhhhh Im sure you could score some coke downtown maybe some meth but thats okay they keep buying beer and dont think to much or remember anything anyway : ) .. but when your turn comes expect what you give nothing.

Orwell 4 years, 8 months ago

When plastic jugs are outlawed, only outlaws will have plastic jugs…

…oh, and Carrie Prejean, I guess.

RedwoodCoast 4 years, 8 months ago

This is nothing but a PR move by authorities so that they appear relevant and effective. I wondered how long Sacred Journey would be allowed to remain in business. That's typical Kansas hysterics for you.

tessk 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm curious about this charge: "Unlawful possession of certain drug precursors and drug paraphernalia: Plastic jugs and filters used or intended for unlawful use to manufacture, cultivate, plant propagate, harvest, test, analyze or distribute a controlled substance." So, if someone has plastic jugs and filters in their garage, home, backyard, etc., it can be used as a charge of unlawful possession of "certain drug precursors"? What the heck, the paraphernalia part is weird enough but "drug precursors" are plastic jugs and funnels?? Yikes!

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

lock that business punk up..............

ThinkFreedomcage 4 years, 8 months ago

No lock the yankee vet in a room with some books... : ) then let him go free because no one belongs in the system for these "charges"

and they are BOGUS charges. Completely

cavtrooper 4 years, 8 months ago

WOW!! JeffCo SD can spend their time busting this nimrod for lickable toads and mescaline but they can't seem to bother with the meth labs around the county. Of course he had money and a quasi legit business with property to sieze rather than a POS single wide and a rusty Chevette. Wonder if they'll spend that money on our schools and roads here in Jeff Co?

mexsombrero 4 years, 8 months ago

First of all, none of us knows what was going on behind closed doors at BBB. A lot of those plants have holistic and healing properties, but psychedelic properties, too, especially the toads, when extracted correctly. So, there is potential harm to the community if people were starting to abuse BBB's product. But then that makes the arrest and seizure unlawful if Jon was just selling, not refining, his products. I will say that if the name of the store 'Bouncing Bears' Botanicals, is at all a reference to the Grateful Dead, well... we all know Dead followers love their "herbs and extracts."

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 8 months ago

This still reeks of more going on than stated. I cannot image why the FDA was here other than the possibility of the owner/employees of Sacred Journey "advising" people how to do whatever with whatever they are selling there.

As for the K2...seemed overpriced to me. Can't imagine people buying it unless they don't have a "street" connection to get the real thing.

ThinkFreedomcage 4 years, 8 months ago

Nice try BCman, your response doesnt suprise me. What are you confused about... oh wait free thought has to be drug enduced...

Whats your point of view? Or are you afraid to express your opinions?

anon1958 4 years, 8 months ago

Well we have been fighting the war on drugs for decades and clearly have not won it nor are in any way likely to win it.

So if we are losing then it follows that a bunch of "liberal arts school" pot smoking slackers are winning. Now it is also true that we have spent billions but most of these potheads can hardly afford to go to Taco Bell.

Clearly, logic dictates that we should just surrender the war and start smoking pot on a regular basis!

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

this is like the tenth thing to happen this week that if Larry Sinks doesn't start making tshirts, he is a bigger fool than I thought. front: "I licked a toad, and I liked it" back: enjoy the Journey, the sacred Journey."

front:"it says here in your chat-log" back:"Marion was framed!"

front:"Free Guy." back:"I'm outta weed"

front:"k2 and whiteowl" back:"young folks love it

front:"k2" back:"better than licking a toad"

front:"WWJD?" back:"for a bag of k2" feel free to share your own!

John Hamm 4 years, 8 months ago

What I don't understand is If it's not illegal, and it isn't as the law hasn't gone into affect yet. Why was he arrested for possessing it?

damnitimpissed 4 years, 8 months ago

When Republicans appear impotent, they try to rectify this by posing as "tough on crime" politicians (tough on drugs) blah blah blah. Has been the case for years...

woodscolt 4 years, 8 months ago

ThinkFreedomcage makes to many good points for to many of the posts on this article.

law enforcement did this one for their box score.

leoNrgy 4 years, 8 months ago

I knew this would happen .......Back when they were on the news (i think around halloween sometime) talking about K2. They thought it was good marketing but it did the opposite.

7texdude 4 years, 8 months ago

Jean1183 (Anonymous) says…

handy…..don't let the door “hit ya”

Building prisons and hiring security officers is not building the economy. Who do you think pays for all of this? We do, jackass. This does build the economy, it adds more to the state budget, which is already strained to the gills.

Fine. The cops say this guy grew and sold illegal drugs. They busted him the day before K2 becomes illegal. Huh? But I wish them all luck as they prosecute a guy with state funds that could be used to educate children about what are the drugs you should and should not take. Nice work.

Also, it is a sick trend when people on this board tell hard-working, good people to leave town and the state because you don't agree with their opinion. This is really stupid. This is really Kansas.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

So is it illegal to lick frogs?

compmd 4 years, 8 months ago

rtpayton (Anonymous) says…

Wrong. In Kansas, sheriff's officers have jurisdiction anywhere in the state. They were most likely asked to help. Could be for manpower, experience, etc.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

What if God smoked cannabis...Toked a bong like one of us?

sunny 4 years, 8 months ago

I would think Jefferson County could spend their time on the Jefferson County druggies! There are certainly enough of them there!

ThinkFreedomcage 4 years, 8 months ago

Reply theBCwoman

"I have no point of view on the matter. People will do what they wanna do. Your 5:42 post was a rambling mish-mashed run-on of incoherent ideas. You cannot deny that."

Yes, I can deny it and it makes sense you have no opinion. What kind of person posts a comment on a topic board but doesnt say anything about the topic but hey I think your post is incoherent? Maybe your an officer or agent perhaps?

.. I think that equals you dont understand which brings up the point of ignorance which is a big problem. I think If you dont have something to say that contributes then keep it to yourself.

inklines 4 years, 8 months ago

As far as tha K2 is concerned, doesn't the U.S. Constitution prohibit Ex Post Facto laws?

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

Mr Sloan has retained Pedro...business must have been good.

greenworld 4 years, 8 months ago

So how does one get charged for selling something that is not illegal? I dont get it. I tried some KY once,it felt really good.Please dont ever outlaw it.lol

croutons 4 years, 8 months ago

Hmm, just read the press release with the 8 counts against Sloan. Where are all the additional "bonus" counts of failure to have drug tax stamps?

naturenut 4 years, 8 months ago

I personally contacted the FDA about 3 years ago after a 17 year old became ill and her parents consulted me about herbs and what is legal. After her stomach pump and some sort of toxicology test, it was determined it was something in the "mushroom" family, which she claimed she purchased from that store. I told her mother no matter what, there are consumer laws that protect minors, and parents can always litigate any issue in which a minor is sold an item without parental consent. I never found out what happened with her and their case, but this news does not surprise me. What surprises me is that after police called me to ask ( I am an ND and licensed herbalist) that it took as long as it did, but you know, that is out of my hands. Why did I personally contact the FDA? My license requires me to report the misuse or misrepresentation of any herb which is categorized as a medicine, any time someone practices (herbal) medicine without a license, and also any time a store sells medicinal herbs that does not have a qualified and recognized herbal practitioner on hand. Those licenses and credentials need to be posted in the business. Herbal distributors will ask for these, but not if you grow your own or import from other countries you likely do not need those. I am not a person who promotes any more restriction on herbs and what we put in our bodies- that goes against all that I stand for. However, when children are sold items in downtown storefronts, it raises concern. There will always be those who want to get high and will be creative to do so ( who exactly dreamed up cooking Sudafed?) but the fact that he had over $700,000 seized tells me his shamanic and pagan herb business is a bit more profitable than your average herb shop. I bet the shop owners downtown would love to have $700,000 in their accounts. When you operate a business, you are liable for all of those who are underage, who trust you to guide them to the right use of whatever products you vend, and also to use common sense to protect the public at large. Finding loopholes to sell unnamed and unrecognized substances to alter one's state of mind is questionable, immoral, and goes against the very nature of ritual and shamanic work. I am curious to see how this case ends.

postfactumproductions 4 years, 8 months ago

i don't get it....

so if it's not yet illegal...how do they have the right to seize anything? how do they have the right to charge any of these people with anything?

Stephanie Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

Right, we DEFINITELY need to spend tax dollars to send this guy to jail. I mean, he grew plants and everything. What a criminal.

Jean1183 4 years, 8 months ago

"Building prisons and hiring security officers is not building the economy."

Now THIS is a really smart statement. While our tax dollars may pay for the prison and cost's associated, those workers must purchase homes, vehicles, food, clothing, entertainment, etc, etc, etc, and certainly DO contribute to building the economy. I have NEVER heard a state or economist say: don't build that prison, military installation, state college, ect, ect, ect because it will HURT our economy.

AND please tell me 7texdud.......(yes, spelling is intentional) exactly what kind of "drugs" should we tell kids it's OK to take other than legal ones approved by the medical field?

Also, I was not telling anyone to leave because they don't like MY opinions, I was telling them to leave if they don't like the situation they are in. Quit whinning.........work at changing it (legally) or LEAVE. Same advice to YOU. This is still a free country and if you don't like the laws that the majority of the people put in place, move to where you do like the laws or face the consequences of breaking them.

purplesage 4 years, 8 months ago

Jeremy - Native Americans have used that defense, especially in the Native American Church, to get away with peyote, aka loco weed, for 30 years or so,

Lydia Diebolt 4 years, 8 months ago

I wondered when this was going to happen! Downtown streets are safe again!! What a waste of time and resources..

John McCoy 4 years, 8 months ago

Drug enforcement in the U.S. = American taliban.

verity 4 years, 8 months ago

Thank you, Naturenut, for posting a rational comment which actually gives us some useful information.

A rare thing indeed.

Bladerunner 4 years, 8 months ago

I licked a Toad and I liked it....but not as much as her cherry chapstick!

ralphralph 4 years, 8 months ago

Wow ... so many issues swirling around this. I'm not a big fan of Pedro's work, lately, but this may be a setting where his considerable legal skills can produce some benefit for the community, not just for violent rich kids.

samuraidrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

"The substances are not yet illegal, but..."

Not yet illegal. They are not illegal yet the guy was raided and put in jail. What is wrong with this government?

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 8 months ago

You cant Be Arrested for a substance that is not yet been Made illegal.

Its not even on the Feds list of Drugs ?

lindseydoyle 4 years, 8 months ago

purplesage "peyote, aka loco weed" Wrong-o. Jimson weed is called loco weed because it makes cattle crazy. But beware. It doesn't make humans loco, it makes humans dead.

erika27 4 years, 8 months ago

stream47 is right - Sloan was arrested for the substances contained in some of the plants and herbs the store sold, not for the K2. That clarified, these charges are still utterly ridiculous. Yes, mescaline and DMT are contained in some of the plants that he sold, but he did not extract these substances from the plants. Mescaline is contained in the San Pedro cacti that he sold, but those cacti are very commonly sold, and while they can be used as a psychedelic, most of the time they are just sold and kept as plants. As for DMT, EVERYTHING contains DMT - the human body produces some amounts of it. Again, while it does have the potential to be used as a psychedelic, it is not illegal in the United States unless it has been extracted or concentrated.

In response to naturenut, here is the user terms of agreement on the business' website:

"All of the Ethnobotanicals available from this site are sold for research, education and propagation purposes only. None of the Ethnobotanicals sold are for human consumption. Some of the Ethnobotanicals available are poisonous. The Herbals available have not been evaluated by the FDA. Research all Herbals before using. Use at your own risk. Bouncing Bear, anyone and anything related to Bouncing Bear and this site can not be held accountable for any of your actions or choices. CUSTOMERS WHO VIOLATE THE USER AGREEMENT WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULL EXTENT THE LAW ALLOWS"

The business is not responsible for what the customers do with their products, just like Walmart is not responsible if you stab someone with a steak knife you bought at their store. This was a perfectly legitimate business, one of many of its nature, and they were operating fully within the law. The federal government is not legally justified - let alone morally justified - in persecuting this man and his business this way.

RKLOG 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm Kansas born and have lived in Lawrence for 25 years. The biggest change that I've seen here is the vast amounts of idiots who have moved in, in droves, replacing the intelligent folks who apparently have moved out. Lawrence seems now a place truly lacking in spark, or imagination. I do believe that we need a kind of Quantrell's raid to weed out some of these complacent little trolls and get things back on track again.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 8 months ago

Cheeseburger: I wondered that too, whether the K2 had other substance(s) added.

I also wondered if perhaps the judge just signed an order to seize everything, everything, and just happens to sweep up the K2?

and again the ignorant heads blame republicans, kansas legislature, kansans, etc.!

the FDA is the Feds, Maann! they work for the big O dude, maann.
yes there's kansas prosecution, but maybe federal prosecution is coming...Maann, da feds mite gonna throw da book at him too.

*hope this helps. although pot heads and other dopers have trouble with shortterm memory, and longterm memory retention. so, I don't expect much improvement.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 8 months ago

stream47 (Anonymous) says…

For the third time, if you take the time to read the Jeff County D.A.'s news release, on the lower left hand side of this page, you'll find no mention of K2. Sloan allegedly had DMT, mescaline, and a few other items, that's what they're accusing him of having, that's why they have him in jail, not for K2.

ok I admit your are right he is instead being charged because of seeds that are not illegal them selves but contain an illegal LSD by-product. Or for cactus which would be misused.

I am Surprised because a can of compressed air or cool whip ia more deadly then any plant you can eat... or Smoke

samuraidrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

facepalm

the compressed can of "air" is nitrous oxide. It's not dangerous, if used responsibly. You've had it at the dentist before- remember laughing gas?

Slickwats 4 years, 8 months ago

Ok ok people!!! Everyone is going back and forth with who knows wat!! Well I've purchased k2. And this is all I need to know! Did bb make k2? Because if they did ain't no body getting anymore!! =•{

Rainydaze49 4 years, 8 months ago

So where does the $700,000 go? Since the states in a deficit and all...

newmoonluna 4 years, 8 months ago

So will they treat this like cannabis in Lawence, you know, get caught with an ounce or under then go pay your ticket at the courthouse? A few NWK friends tried it...and they say it was a BAD trip! This too will go out of "style" as did with numerous experimental drugs in the past. Just curious when the next natural botanical substance will be presenting itself to the all o mighty force protecting our limited freedoms in this state......not THIS country folks....but this state!

SpunKey 4 years, 8 months ago

Think of all this evidence to log and research and court hearings and expert witnesses to be hired. Why are we wasting our federal and state tax dollars on this one? No wonder we can't fund our schools, we are way too busy funding these witch hunts. If people want to get high, they will find a way. The key here is not to decrease supply, it is to decrease the market! If people were happier in general there would be less drug/alcohol/tobacco use. Alcohol, cigarettes, and media are the "approved" "opiate of the masses" in Americans. We are slaves of capitalism and need something to make us happy.

JESeaLA74 4 years, 8 months ago

The simple fact of the matter is that the government has no right to tell you what to put into your body in the first place. The United States has the highest incarceration rate (by far) of any industrialized nation in the world.

It's really out of control when the government can search and sieze your property for any reason they deem fit to make up at the time. People should be absolutely outraged that taxpayer dollars are going to be spent on prosecuting this guy regardless of what their personal beliefs are regarding the substances.

Most of these allegations will not and can not stick. This is pretty much a scare tactic. The District Attorney knows this but he isn't playing with his money so it doesn't make any difference. What's funny is the morons on this thread condoning the action. They don't realize it's their tax dollars being wasted. Everytime you look at your check and see all that money being given away this is where it goes. This action isn't keeping your streets, jobs, well-being any safer. As a matter of fact it is doing exactly the opposite.

You people out there who support actions like this better take a long look at what you really are supporting. You don't have to like what people do. I will be the first to tell you that I don't like a lot of things that people do but I do understand that in this country that many have died to promote the idea of freedom. From the inception of the United States of America it was never the idea of our Founding Fathers or the spirit of the Nation itself to be told what we are allowed to do and what we are not allowed to do.

Common sense laws yes, Accountability for ones actions yes, Jail people for everything you don't like NO.

Government bailouts, 2.5 trillion dollars a year on healthcare, 10 percent unemployment, you think people would start to wake up. It's time to start fighting for your rights as an American and stop laying down to ignorance.

numchuk 4 years, 8 months ago

I can get high on alcohol so are they going to ban that too? It would sure make a lot of lawyers and cops mad.

IamUROldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 7 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad

Son, I wish that your memory would return, that old timers has surely rotted your brain. You know that your old paw, (ME) has tried to get rid of those pesky Morning Glory vines off of my tomatoes since you were a small child and had to weed the garden.

Like I told you son, anyone who had the gumption to kiss a toads butt, has to be more of a man than you or me, so leave him the hell alone before you git into trouble.

And Son, Please lay off of the Sterno, it has rotted your brain.

Luv You Son Dad