Archive for Thursday, February 4, 2010

KU Student Senate makes Stephen Colbert honorary student body president for life

Honorary presidency of student body is his for the taking

Comedian Stephen Colbert was made KU's student body president for life Thursday. Colbert hosts a comedy news show on Comedy Central.

February 4, 2010

If he ever wants to, comedian and talk show host Stephen Colbert can show up at Kansas University and become student body president.

The KU Student Senate Wednesday night appointed Colbert as its honorary student body president for life — a title Colbert could assume any time he’s on campus.

Tom Cox, a student senator who sponsored the resolution, said he chose Colbert for the honor because of his track record of recognizing groups who have honored him in similar ways.

The resolution isn’t quite clear on whether the title is strictly honorary or if Colbert could actually come to campus and become the president.

“If he wants to come here and sign a bill, I don’t think anyone would complain,” Cox said.

KU’s Student Senate has responsibility for a $19 million budget and its members can get engaged in lengthy debates that can last into the wee hours of the morning.

While yes, Cox said, the senators are hoping to attract the attention of Colbert in the hopes that he would either mention KU on his Comedy Central television show or come to campus, he said it’s also a reminder that students should just have fun.

Almost 90 percent of the senators voted for the resolution, which somewhat surprised Cox, as some argued that the whole matter was “silly” and the body had more important things to do.

Cox said the idea was partially motivated by Colbert’s decision to seek the U.S. presidential nomination of both political parties in 2008, and his statements indicating he intends to run again in 2012.

“We thought this would be a good stepping-stone for him,” Cox said.

Comments

Jimo 4 years, 2 months ago

"his humor just grabs at the most obvious; there is no cerebral factor at all."

Clearly, the non-obvious is sailing right over your cerebral factor. The interviews alone regularly exceed the "cerebral factor" of most anything offered by television.

middleoftheroad 4 years, 2 months ago

It appears that most readers have missed the message...have fun! These are students enjoying their time in a harmless way. It didn't take away resources as no money went to this, it didn't physically harm anyone, and it draws attention to Student Senate. No harm, no foul! Thanks for the good chuckle!

PapaB 4 years, 2 months ago

Is this seriously news? The KU student Senate wants Colbert to mention KU on TV, so they approve some silly resolution. What's next? They could erect a statue of Jon Stewart in front of Wescoe. How about an honorary reserved seat dedicated to one of them, just in case they show up to one of the Senate Meetings? I get the reasons why they're doing this, but I hope they're way more respnsible with how their $19 million budget is spent.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Pywacket (Anonymous) says…

I love the fact that this has put the wing nuts' noses out of joint. Hurts when Stephen and Jon mock Papa Bear and the rest of the Faux News mindless drones, does it?

the great thing about it Py, the wing nuts don't get half the jokes anyway. Was it O'Reilly or one of them that came on the show to be interviewed...and had to have it explained to them that Colbert was a fake....not a real conservative. ps, don't feed the bears.

Azure_Attitude 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't wait for the next installment of, "Look Who's Honoring Me Now." I know it ain't a Peabody, Honrary DFA (Hello, Fine Arts Department!!), Emmy, or Grammy, Stephen, but it's good to see the Jayhawk Student Body did what they could.

To the Colbert/Stewart haters, it's unfortunate that you wouldn't recognize brilliant satire and enormous talent if it bit you on the @$$ (by a, wait for it . . . . B E A R!!). Please, get yourselves treatment for that, perhaps a sense of humor transplant, stat! Life's too short to be mad all the time. I know it stings when they call my Dems out on their BS, but I take it in stride and you should, too. It probably woudln't sting so bad if the GOP didn't offer up so much, much more comedic fodder but, hey, things are how they are.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 2 months ago

My understanding is that this was supposed to generate interest in the Student Senate amongst the student body, which is kind of lacking of late, and that would be a good thing. I remember the drama that was the Costume Party, but then, I'm old.

Shardwurm 4 years, 2 months ago

Attention whores running the student government! OMG!

amesn 4 years, 2 months ago

Some of the posters here might want to consider 'lightening up' or removing a certain part of a tree from a certain part of one's anatomy. All in good fun kids!

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 2 months ago

State budget cuts can't come too fast. Close down KU before we have a state full of liberal elitists without a functioning brain cell between them.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

Sunflower1985 4 years, 2 months ago

We bow to thee, President-for-Life Colbert.

deskboy04 4 years, 2 months ago

I'll bet that they all think that they are pretty cool.

thebcman 4 years, 2 months ago

I always thought KU Student Senate was full of brain-dead morons. Thanks for confirming that thought.

jimincountry 4 years, 2 months ago

Comedy is KU's next best attribute...second only to being known as an NBA prep school!

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

Bears!!!!

This resolution gladdens my heart. I'm so proud of these students.

hitme 4 years, 2 months ago

Colbert isn't even funny. In fact it's kind of sad to watch him act out a script that could have been written by a clueless 10 year-old.

Twenty years from now, his former audience may see a clip of the old show and they're not going to laugh either. I'm sure they'll cringe in disbelief that they ever watched it at all.

Jon Stewart is the same way, his humor just grabs at the most obvious; there is no cerebral factor at all.

ilovelucy 4 years, 2 months ago

What a great idea! Colbert is a riot.

relaytheurgency 4 years, 2 months ago

Chris, what resources were wasted?

No one gets paid to be on student senate. The only thing that may have gotten wasted was some of the student senate's time. Honestly, though, how much time do they waste being pedantic about nonsense the rest of the time student senate is in session?

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

OTS post of 9:10 a.m.

I was just notified that Stephen Colbert is now the honorary student body President at the University of Kansas. Good job kids, and please, don't feed the bears.

Hey Chris, lighten up man. Enjoy the ride.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 2 months ago

Now that they understand how to waste time on non-issues, they will someday become proper legislators in the real world of politics.

I hope he comes to campus. He can sign a bill to integrate all our water fountains.

Chris_Thomas 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry but how was this a valid use of resources? A mock election to 'vote in' an actor who's main character is the very definition of hyperbole. This is nothing short of silly and reaching levels of stupidity.

Don't get me wrong, I love Colbert and everything he's done but Mr. Cox needs to stop wasting school resources just so he can get on TV.

Liberty275 4 years, 2 months ago

colbert is a hack. Jon Stewart is about 1000 times more talented. So is Greg Gutfeld.

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

He should join the b-ball team as he might be an upgrade after playing the way the Hawks did on Wednesday

penguin 4 years, 2 months ago

If your student fees go up this year, it will most likely be decided by this body. Wow, I really hope they only spent like 10 minutes discussing this resolution. I see a joke coalition forming this spring around this idea. If not someone needs to figure it out and run under Colbert's somethings as a joke.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

Love it! Love Colbert!

We should all email this article to Stephen's website (http://www.colbertnation.com/home) to make sure he notices. Maybe KU can get a mention on the show.

chewyfally 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope he signs a bill declaring the biggest threat to University campuses: BEARS!