Archive for Thursday, December 30, 2010

SLT opponents appeal federal court ruling

Traffic enters and exits the eastern end of the South Lawrence Trafficway near what is approximately 35th and Iowa Street. A federal judge upheld the Federal Highway Administration’s decision to align the South Lawrence Trafficway along 32nd Street and not south of the Baker Wetlands.

December 30, 2010, 12:31 p.m. Updated December 30, 2010, 5:51 p.m.

The legal battle will continue to determine whether the South Lawrence Trafficway will be built through a piece of wetlands.

On Thursday, a group of environmental organizations and Haskell Indian Nations University students announced that they would appeal a federal court ruling that upheld the decision to align the new four-lane highway through a portion of the Baker Wetlands.

That appeal will be filed with the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver within the next few days, said Bob Eye, the attorney representing the opponents.

“There was really no hesitation by any parties on our side of the case about taking up an appeal,” Eye said. “Our clients made a commitment early on to try to protect the wetlands. And, that didn’t change because the court didn’t agree with our perspective.”

Joe Erskine, deputy secretary of transportation for the Kansas Department of Transportation, said the state agency wasn’t surprised by the group’s appeal.

In early November, U.S. District Judge Kathryn Vratil issued a 59-page decision that affirmed the process used by the Federal Highway Administration to align an extension of the South Lawrence Trafficway along what would be 32nd Street.

The groups opposing construction of the road in the wetlands would like to see the road run south of the Baker Wetlands. More than two years ago, they filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in an attempt to preserve the roughly 60 acres of wetlands the trafficway would consume.

The new four-lane highway would extend the existing South Lawrence Trafficway from U.S. Highway 59 — Iowa Street in the city limits — seven miles east to Kansas Highway 10. The route selected by the Federal Highway Administration would run through the northern part of the Baker Wetlands. As part of the project, the Kansas Department of Transportation has agreed to build 300 acres of new wetlands.

The appeal, which should take about 18 months, isn’t expected to delay construction of the highway. KDOT is about halfway through the design plans and survey work. State money to build the $188 million South Lawrence Trafficway won’t become available until 2013.

If the appeal process were to last longer than expected, Erskine said, KDOT has agreed to hold off construction until the court process is finished.

In its announcement on Thursday, the plaintiffs noted the wetlands have ecological, educational, cultural, recreational and spiritual benefits to the community, which would be lost if a highway were constructed. The roadway would impact all of the wetlands, not just the acres KDOT would use for right-of-way, Eye said.

Plaintiffs in the upcoming lawsuit include the Sierra Club, the Prairie Band Potawatomi tribe, Jayhawk Audubon Society, Wetlands Protection Organization, Save the Wakaursa Wetlands Inc., KU Environs and EcoJustice.

In her ruling, Vratil said the Federal Highway Administration in its environmental impact statement “properly considered” the impacts of traffic and safety, flooding and increased development as well as the effect the alignment would have on Haskell Farm.

However, Vratil said the federal agency incorrectly estimated that a 32nd Street alignment would cost less than a route that would run farther south and align with what is known as 42nd Street. Omitted from its estimate were the cost of creating 300 acres of new wetlands, moving 31st Street, building the Wetland and Cultural Center and constructing hiking and biking trails.

She also ruled that the agency’s noise study didn’t follow federal requirements.

Both issues will be addressed in the opponents’ appeal, Eye said.

Comments

IdahoWinds 3 years, 3 months ago

Moderate - I would guess that none of the plaintiffs are directly enough involved to know anything about this case to know what Bob Eye is or isn't doing or how he has financed it. We're basically talking about less than a dozen HINU students, a couple faculty, a couple of other staff and alums and then the other organizations which would best be classified as "sympathizers" rather than being directly involved (Audubon, Sierra, Ecojustice, KU Environs,STW). There are probably less than 6 who are actively involved and there has never been any effort to raise money for the cause - Bob has apparently carried the $$$ burden for them.

George Lippencott 3 years, 3 months ago

OK, if this is being done pro bono then I restate my question. Is anyone other than the taxpayer paying for this litigation? Unless I am mistaken, pro bono work is tax deductible to the corporation that provides it. Most legal corporations bill far more hours than are in a day./week/month/year. Are we not paying for much of this through our taxes? By the by, does anybody know if there is any funding from the Legal Services Corporation or equivalent legal assistance paid by the taxpayers?

Carol Bowen 3 years, 3 months ago

If we truly believe in our form of government, we should support it. We are fortunate to have a peaceful means for resolving disputes. The appeals process is part of our democracy. We don't get to just write people off. What would the alternative be? Settle disputes with weapons? Bombs, maybe?

Carol Bowen 3 years, 3 months ago

The larger problem is Lawrence's approach to transportation planning. I have lived here since 1979. Every city commission wants to channel traffic downtown. Icy_Flame48 is right to bring this up. There is no overall plan. The Planning Commission does not discuss transportation planning. Neither does the Traffic Safety Commission. Every time there is a localized traffic problem, you can find a bigger problem by looking at the entire map. We have very few east-west streets. We have very few through streets. (Are there any through streets?) There is no grid system. Transportation planning is not seriously connected to land use. We know that certain street designs will be a problem, but we allow them in new developments anyway.

IdahoWinds 3 years, 3 months ago

Bob Eye's other clients are. He is doing this pro bono. It is hard to say how much would be happening if the plaintiffs actually had to pay or had to reimburse the gov lawyers when Bob Eye loses again?!? It is a nuisance case which is not causing the gov. much of a nuisance at this time.

George Lippencott 3 years, 3 months ago

Ah, democracy in action. Heart warming. I do wonder, however, who, other than the tax payers, is paying for this endless litigation?

IdahoWinds 3 years, 3 months ago

Well your comments are noted. I think it best that you continue to drive down Haskell Ave. as long as you can, less stress on your psyche, I think. But good luck with your visual acuity problems.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

We drive in the daytime and see nothing. No geese, no ducks, no nothing. I came down Haskell the other day and I saw ducks in the area where you clowns want to build 32nd street. I saw more ducks along the area north of 35th and a couple of beaver dens. I see nothing on the other side where yout monstrosity is. My wife likes driving and seeing the animals along Haskell Avenue and doesn't like going past what we call the fake wetlands. We see Mr. Boyd's number on the sign and always want to call him and say we see nothing. You all are probably as receptive as Fox News is when they're wrong. BTW, I'm not a text messager. I leave that to smart? people like you. Chi pisa li chinni nahollo.

IdahoWinds 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh, I forgot to mention that you need to get your cell phone fixed because every time you get frustrated at getting spanked on-line your keyboard starts screwing up and all we see is some kind of non-sense gibberish.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

Jack McKee, you should leave America for you live on the lands of the Kaw, Osage, Shawnee, Delaware, and Pawnee peoples not to mentioned the other 567 federally recognized tribes, 100 or so state recognized tribes, and the millions of unrecognized indigenous peoples who survive around you and your immigrant English language. Chi pisa li chinni, nahollo okpulo...chahta imanumpa ish anumpuli hinla ho?, nahollo.....

JackMcKee 3 years, 3 months ago

tushy, you should cease using the internet. It was invented by the U.S. Government.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

did bell invent the cell phone? I think not....

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

tushy, you should immediately stop using Bell's inventions to spite him over his choice of a building site 140 years ago.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

firstly, you don't make an area better by taking a couple of corn fields back and create what looks like a bad bunker area at a golf course. Secondly, any given day I've driven that way to Baldwin I see no animals on the water. When I go Haskell Avenue home I can look to my left and see ducks, geese, beaver dams, and any other sort of animal. I don't care what you're species list of previous postings said, I've seen nothing there, my father's seen nothing there, and my wife has seen nothing there. All I've seen or heard of is the photo ops with Mr. Roberts who sweetens the sellout pot all of the time with you all. Furthermore, Alexander Graham Bell is a wonderful example of malfeasance towards indigenous peoples. You see, there is an area near the Grand River outside of Brantford, Ontario, Canada, called Tutelo Heights. It is called Tutelo Heights for the Siouan Tutelo people who were adopted by the Cayuga Nation and Haudenosaunee Confederacy in 1753 after the Tutelo people fled settler incursion into their Virginia lands. After George Washington aka Village Destroyer and the rest of the patriots in the Sullivan campaign laid waste to millions of acres of crops in what is now NY and the British lost the Revolutionary War, The British unlike the Americans honored their loyalty promise to Joseph Brant and the Mohawks and created the Grand River reserve near Ohsweken, Ontario, Canada Nine or ten tribes came to live at Grand River including the Tutelo people. Unfortunately, the Canadian Government allowed some squatting on Grand River tribal lands and Alexander Grahan Bell was more than happy to build a home at Tutelo Heights, former Tutelo land on the Grand River reserve. I was there in 2002 and 2003 for the Grand River Pow-wow. The more you know the more you should realize that know matter how you spin this monstosity you're no different than the previous land thieves who stole lands for railroads like the abandoned Lawrence, Leavenworth, & Galveston railroad tracks that run along the fake wetlands east of Haskell avenue. Ask the Ottawa, Peoria, and Osage tribes about that bit of theft that put them in Oklahoma only to have the rails taken up in the 1980's. When will this monstrosity be obselete and when will the incessant centuries old mindset of Indian land theft be done....?

IdahoWinds 3 years, 3 months ago

And we are so thankful that you can humble yourself enough to speak to us fellow earthlings in your final quest to have us understand, ask for forgiveness of our past transgressions, to shed our ignorance and open ourselves to a new day of enlightenment. Alexander Graham Bell once said (paraphrased) "When one door closes, another one opens. Unfortunately we often look longingly at the closed door so long we don't notice the open door." Could it be that tushie is still looking longingly at the closed door. His door has labels which read: hatred, racism, broken promises, vile Christian missionaries, spiteful indian agents, more broken promises, stolen lands, etc. [the list continues on the other side of the door, which unfortunately we can no longer read, it is only carried forward by oral history]. Many of those that are promoting the mitigation plan with the 32B alignment have moved on and have welcomed the opportunity of the open door. They are looking at the past as a means to improve the future for thousands who will better understand why wetlands are sacred to many cultures not just American Indian.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

unethical behavior lies in the Lyng decision of 1989. A country spends two centuries destroying indigenous culture through acquisition of many ancient sacred sites and overwhelming indigenous peoples with coerced Christianity and using federal laws to make indigenous languages and cultural practices illegal in the 1880's. Because of the supposed morality of Christian citizens and Supreme Courts, I get to see the Medicine Wheel with a fence around it with many of the stones taken from a thousands of year old site in Wyoming. I get to be in line with rascist senior citizens at Devil's Tower the summer when climbers are whining because their climbing is going to be curtailed so that the original inhabitants of this country can have a couple of weeks to practice cultural traditions that they've done for centuries before the site was known as Devil's Tower. I get invited to a Sundance by fellow Choctaw people in South Dakota with the Sundance being a formerly outlawed cultural practice of Plains Indigenous peoples that the federal government and BIA outlawed with jail time for much of the 19th and 20th centuries. For a country that prides itself on religious tolerance and freedom, many people find that this has never applied to indigenous peoples, especially if land's involved. The cadry of posters never cease to amaze me with their knowledge of what is and isn't wetlands and how much they know about the use of alcohol in indigenous ceremonies. Their ignorance never ceases to amaze me. I do not underestimate the stupidity of the American People. I see it constantly. In fact this country has grown to embrace it's stupidity forcefully and loudly. Stupidity is a force to be reckoned with. It's a great honor that many in this country champion their right to be publically stupid and their freedom to do so. They do it so well that they can take anything and turn up the volume loud enough to drown out respect for other cultures. They've just got to be the best Peter Griffin they can be. What a Family Guy Nation of tolerance and respect.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

it's not rewriting history unless you're one of the people who support the white-washing of history in the first place tunahelper. Let's see, the American educational system censored and denied the sins of patriots, conquerors, and thieves for two hundred years. Minority people of many races were denigrated into silence by the arrogance of colonial American history and it's progeny. It was like this, "Unless you're White and your history begins in 1776 or with the crossing of the Delaware River, you can as Bill O'Reilly says "Shut Up" and find your place at the back of the isle of you're lucky." I've ignored this mentality and butted heads with it pretty much all of my forty years on this planet. I'm butting heads with people now because the ignorance never goes away. You can go back to Europe and live in serfdom where socialism has worked for many centuries and find your freedom there. Liberty was never really accomplished in this country on the stolen lands of indigenous peoples and the free labor of African peoples. That is as much fiction as American history itself.

tunahelper 3 years, 3 months ago

my dearest tush. just because I post the Gadsden Flag doesn't make me a tea-party member. I am sick and tired of you whiney progressives who think they know how to dictate how I live my life. The SLT will be built no matter what you say. Progressives like you love name calling. Symbolism over substance. It's progressives like you that are attempting to rewrite history.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

tunahelper.... I love hearing from educated tea party people....wait a minute tea party and educated.....like military intelligence....contradictions that don't add up... repeating the man made wetlands thing after Mr. Boyd said at ECM that the wetlands were originally wetlands last year at a noon meeting I showed up to. Oh that's right. tea party people make up history as they go, Your flag is a staple of tea partiers. Idahowinds...how many boarding school grounds have you been to? Have you read, "Boarding School Seasons", "Education for Extinction", or "They call it Prairie Light" about Chilocco Indian School near Newkirk, OK. You obviously haven't listened to seventy and eighty year old Native people talk about their boarding school experiences. Paul Brockinton didn't listen either.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

scientists consistently deny indigenous history especially when it stands in the way of their manipulations. You obviously haven't read "Repatriation Reader" by KU Professor and Choctaw tribal member Devon Mihisuah. People like you are empirically clowned throughout that book. She's written numerous books on different subjects concerning the experiences and histories of indigenous peoples that people like you and Paul Brockington are deficient in from my readings of you. I love how clueless people ignore history and justify it with progress. Very American of them.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

I think the land should be allowed to return to it's original natural, beautiful condition. Manmade intervention is frightening away alot of wildlife. Bison used to roam the area with deer and antelope.

Even the playful Beaver has a difficult time in stagnet water.

A paved road will allow passersby to witness the animals in their natural habitat.

The birds will leave. But they can fly to safer enviroments.

It is horrible that a certain miniscule class of people have flooded a once beautiful network of productive land to wonderful, graceful animals.

tunahelper 3 years, 3 months ago

just because you don't like the ruling doesn't mean you can appeal the decision. get over it, you lost! but the progressives will probably get their day in court since our judical system is a joke anyway. BTW, the baker wetland is a MAN-MADE wetland! and it isn't a sacred Indian burial ground just because some Indians had a pow-wow on the land.

Have a Happy New Year!

p.s. the Sunflower Power Plant in Holcomb WILL BE BUILT!

factstraight 3 years, 3 months ago

Agnes T Frog? Possible burial grounds? What's next, Santa's Workshop is located there? You refuse to give up 60 acres of wetland to have it replaced by 300 acres of wetland? Is the leader of this protest the same person that lived in a dead tree so Borders couldn't be built? I am a Lawrence native of 47 years who has traveled around and it amazes me how people try so hard to stifle any growth in this community. We have several wonderful small communities surrounding us, move to one of them if you want to stay small town. If someone told me if I would give up $60 they would give me $300 I think I would take that. I doubt any of you protesting this even remember Agnus T. Frog. The courts have ruled, accept it, be a big boy/girl and move on. Geez, get a life

RuralWanderer 3 years, 3 months ago

I've dropped almost every ounce of liberalness possible since leaving Lawrence 10 years ago and now consider myself very conservative and well past my bleeding heart past. However, I still think the SLT should be built south of the Wakarusa. I spent a LOT of time at Baker Wetlands and loved it out there. The SLT would ruin it.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

justfornow, the wetlands are where the haskell students I mentioned about 20 posts ago went to worship the traditions of their respective tribal cultures outside of the punishment they received at the hands of the christian overseers who sought total domination of indigenous cultures through christianity on the haskell campus 100 years ago. The 1886 federal law prohibiting native langauge and religions on boarding school campuses wasn't taken off the books until the early 1990's. When it was no longer illegal to practice indigenous religions on Haskell campus the medicine wheel was built in the early 1990's. Your government totally white washed what it did to indigenous cultures through forced assimilation and christianity totally ignoring the separation of church and state when it applied to indigenous peoples. Your government made sure none of you understood the connection here. Most of you don't get the connection to the land and religious practices because your schools systems and churches want nothing but american history and christianity to be known or taught. Half of our battle is in the courts and the other half is an unknowing and historically deficient public that shows consistently that H.L. Mencken was right in the 1920's about the heartland of America when he stated to "Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people". Our history has been repeated over and over to officials who are more concerned with completing the railroad job they've been working at since the Union Pacific Eastern Division stole land from the Delaware Tribe in 1860 and 1866 treaties and from the Citizen Band Potawatomi tribe in the 1861 and 1867 treaties. They don't care about facts, the brockington report on the EIS didn't care about facts... The current thieves want to get done what the original thieves did in the 1860's to expand Kansas. I'm just getting started. I will provide an earful when the 150th anniversary of Kansas statehood happens in 2011. Thieves to the end until they're derailed in court. Read "The End of Indian Kansas 1854-1871" by WSU professors William Unrau and Craig Miner to see how the SLT was done in the 1860's with railroads to tribes like the Kickapoo, Delaware, Citizen Band Potawatomi, and Osage tribes. Native peoples have seen this before. Why don't Kansans know about this?

kernal 3 years, 3 months ago

It's time to build the road and 32nd St is the place to do it. We've wasted thirty years debating the pros and cons of it (not sixty). It's going to get built one way or another and the longer we fight it, the more it will cost us.

By the way, the bridge on E. 23rd St has to be rebuilt and is scheduled to start in 2012. Get ready for all the traffic coming in from K-10 with only a route through a couple of old residential neighborhoods or 31st St. It's going to be interesting for those who live east of Kentucky St. I can't even imagine what game days are going to be like. If we had the Trafficway, it wouldn't be a problem.

jjt 3 years, 3 months ago

Does there come a point legally when the antis have exhausted their legal challenges. Or at what point could the thing be built from a purely legal stand point with out fear of challenge. Could someone answer with facts rather than rants. Thanks

justfornow 3 years, 3 months ago

Ok all white people are rascist. Got that!!! FYI the sweat lodge and medicine wheel are on the north side of 31st street. Let's get this done asap.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

your denial of our history and consistent insinuation of alcohol use in native ceremonies is rascist. The convienient disconnect between the history obviously none of you were taught in euro american schools is rascist. Your emphasis of christianity over indigenous cultures and their connections to lands that have only been american for three centuries is rascist. Your use of us as mascots is rascist. Your study of our ancestors as scientific objects and not people is rascist. Do you want me to stop yet.....

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

What's a racist anyway. Anyone care to elaborate racist for me?

oh wait...the urban dictionary explained it for me.

1. racist 6157 up, 2215 down

All of this is funny because the white man is the one that is stereotyped as being racist, which is hypocrisy at its best. It's racist to assume that white men are racists.

If you don't get offended by racial insults, then you're apparently racist too, but an actual racist would get offended by it. When you hear a certain word too much (I'm sure we've all heard "cracka" hundreds of times thanks to standup comedy) then you become desensitized to it.

Well, that and the words white people get called sound stupid or non-offending. "cracker" came from cracking whips. Indiana Jones cracked whips too, and he was a badass. "honkey" sounds like some kind of gigantic sandwich, and "white boy" makes you seem like the lone white kid in breakdance movies that stands out amongst the other races and white kids. Most people only really think of rednecks when they think of "white trash" so they don't get offended by it if they're not rednecks. Statistics guy: It was found out that the majority of blacks in America listen to hip hop--- Overzealous guy: WTF YOU RACIST I HAVE A BLACK FRIEND THAT DOESN'T LISTEN TO HIP HOP Statistics guy: But I said the majority, meaning not all of th--- Overzealous guy: YEAH WHATEVER HITLER

Charlie Bannister 3 years, 3 months ago

I am not a racist. I am not against anyone at all. When I speak to a group of people I do not see color, I merely see potential. I am all about logic, not emotion. Now then, having removed all the usual points of criticism that liberals and enviro wackos like to hurl, I would like to make a very logical statement.

The SLT has been needed since at least the 1990's. We had a great start on doing it at a very reasonable cost. Then the battles began---media, courts, etc. It sits unfinished. We need it as a community to alleviate the ridiculous spectacle that we experience every day on 23rd Street. Quit arguing about what a spiritual loss it is going to be to build it in the approved format. Give me a break. I have been out to the so called "sweat lodge" and seen all the whiskey bottles and beer cans. Quit arguing about the so called environmental disaster that will occur if we build it. Those are man made wet lands. They are mosquito breeding grounds. Drain em and build this highway. There you have it. Logic. Something that seems to be lacking on the other side of this debate.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 3 months ago

I watched 'Braveheart' the other night again. I was thinking this is how the far-left would like to see us live and be ruled. It's just that simple. They are a miserable lot, but enthralled by leftist, elitist rhetoric because it satisfies their twisted views. They are weak minded and are easily manipulated by the preachings of the left wing of the Democratic party. Their emotionalities though, will be their own undoing and they're too hysterical with their own ideological plight to know it. Calling it pathetic is an understatement.

Liberty_One 3 years, 3 months ago

This is getting rather tiresome already. Either build it or don't and get it over with for good.

monkeyhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

tuschkahouma - your posts look like big globs of goo. Maybe if they were formatted, I might read them. Maybe not, since I don't think we are of like mind. I got over demanding reparations a long time ago.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

159 comments most of them useless and uninformed. 300 A.D. ancestors of the Pawnee and Wichita peoples in this area. Caddoan ancestors known to white anthropologists as Clinton Phase of Pomona peoples in this area up until 1300 A.D. Near this time the ancestors of the Kaw, Osage, Iowa, and Missouria peoples in this area. This area is a boundary area between the Kaw and Osage Nations. The Kaw Nation is forced to treaty this area away in 1825 so that the invaders can removed eastern indigenous peoples to this area and have passage on the Santa Fe Trail. The Shawnee and Lenape peoples come into this area with the Ottawa and Peoria peoples nearby. In the rush to overrun lands to prevent slavery the nahollos forget they're fighting on lands they stole to create this territory through the Kansas Nebraska Act of 1854. Throughout the 19th century they try to make us christians and steal lands for the Baptist Church with the Ottawa tribe and the Wyandotte, Shawnee, and Kaw people have the Methodist Church meddling in their affairs. The Methodist Church later runs Haskell and works with the US Government to stamp out religious traditions of indigenous peoples who escape to said wetlands to practice religions and langauges outlawed at Indian Boarding schools in 1886 by the US Government. Due to the lack of funding medical care and foodstuffs, indigenous children at many of the hundreds of boarding schools perish. Sounding like many of the uneducated rascist people on here, these kids are dumped in random burial sites across many of these Indian boarding school campuses like Genoa in Nebraska because we are treated as less than human with this attitude reinforced by the scientific theory of eugenics. Some of the posters here sound straight out of 1886. This is Kansas, you all haven't evolved much right? The Native American Religous Freedom Act of 1978 has been ignored by officials who are part of the steam-rolling process that we've derailed. We won in 1997, and the state has fund cutting dumblicans who can't figure out how much this state is in the hole. Ironically Mr. Pointless apology Brownback will love promoting this project at the expense of everything the dumblicans are going to cut right?

monkeyhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

"As American drivers groan over prices nearing $4 a gallon ..."

People don't want the crp you are pushing. Further I know many people like myself who will pay whatever is necessary not to have to ride public transpo with folks like you. Whoa - that's right - progressives demand that others ride those rich targets - they themselves would certainly never be caught on a bus.

This is what people want, and I'm sure you treebaggers are crying in your brews over it:

"Edmunds says truck sales are expected to be up 14.9 percent, and SUV sales up 21.3 percent over last year. Midsize car sales are expected to be up 7.8 percent over 2009. Hybrid sales are down 8.1 percent, and compact car sales are up just 1.1 percent." http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/30/business/main7197476.shtml

HA!

BTW - my resolution is to take the gloves off. No more Mr. Nice Guy :)

Starlight 3 years, 3 months ago

Won't have to wait long. Come February we'll see the SLT at or near the top of the queue for KDOT projects. As they finish up 59 the earthmovers can roll right into building the new SLT.

Everyone on the SLT can be thankful for the gas they're saving from not going through the stop and go traffic down 23rd!

Richard Heckler 3 years, 3 months ago

In 1971 the State Highway Commission recommended a bypass for Lawrence to be built south of the Wakarusa river.

If the 42nd street route or any other route is deemed the best choice members of East Hills Business Park,executives from the development and real estate industries and likely the Chamber of Commerce will challenge such a decision in court. Former County Commissioner Bob Johnson let this be known in a public meeting at city hall a few years ago.

There is no need for this trafficway because we now have the I-70 connectors.

Sooner rather than later I project more commuters will be locating closer to employment as the price of gasoline steadily climbs and will do so from this point forward. Which will mean more and more empty residential. Right now a buyers market appears to be available in the KCMO metro with 10,000 homes on the market.

I believe this is what USA drivers should plan for in the near future:

As American drivers groan over prices nearing $4 a gallon, the French are paying $8.67 for a gallon of super, compared to $7.10 in January, 2007. A gallon of diesel in French gas stations averages $8.54, up from $5.35 just a year ago. And in the U.K. diesel costs $11.50 per gallon, compared to around $3.90 in the U.S. Across the European Union, the average cost of a gallon of gas runs to about $8.70 — more than twice what Americans are shelling out to fill up. Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1809900,00.html#ixzz19irUkXOF

tjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Wasn't the expansion of the wetlands supposed to be a compromise for the environmental folks? What's the problem now? It was determined years ago that there is nothing "Sacred" about the property. BUILD THE ROAD and let's be done with it. This has been going on for 25 years. Think how less expensive the road would have cost 20 years ago.

gorilla10 3 years, 3 months ago

Just a matter of time before the highway is put in!!! LETS GET IT STARTED

speakmymind 3 years, 3 months ago

This is becoming an embarrassment for most Lawrence residents, let's hold our local officials accountable to get this road built on time! No more delays!

handlon 3 years, 3 months ago

And let's take a look at how the SLT west of Highway 59 is impacting the wildlife through those wetlands to get a real baseline for the proposed eastern section. For all intents and purposes wildlife is thriving there without interruption....

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

Dozens of Sacred second growth forest acreage in Arlington, Washington along I-5 was once home to deer, eagles, hawk and a multitude of other woodland creatures were leveled for an Indian Casino.

Drove by the once heavily forested wonderland a million times while living there for 18 years.

So please DRD 4 Genies. Spare me with the coveted "Sacred" grounds routine.

BigPrune 3 years, 3 months ago

Since Haskell has such a horrible past for native Americans, has anyone proposed moving Haskell? - I know this rings of relocating native Americans when they got screwed and put on reservations, but what if a brand new campus were built somewhere else in town? It would remove the nightmare of the past and bring something new and nice....just a thought.

aldo 3 years, 3 months ago

We should build a one mile long, 4 lane low bridge over the affected areas and let the frogs and happy spirits coexist with the growing need for this extension ... problem solved ... the river rises, the beavers are happy, the geese still fly in, the turtles still swim around ... tear out the old 31st st roadbed as a consolation and POOF, the wetlands just expanded to Haskell's back door ... how about it road engineers ? ... this works in the Florida Keys, why not in Lawrence ?

Outsider56 3 years, 3 months ago

Here's to The "Crazy Ones", Who will save these Sacred Wetlands from the likes of the jumpin' jackmckees...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX9GTU...

wdl 3 years, 3 months ago

Is it me or does anyone else feel the SLT project needs to be completed ASAP. It would appear the cry babies need to throwdown their diapers and come of age. More people want the SLT finished than those who oppose it. It is documented in many different ways. What do you do when your child goes down on the floor and throws a fit because he/she can't get their way. Walk away and let them cry. We need to move to the construction phase.

The wet lands where man made in the beginning and they can be modified by man and should be to accomidate the trafficway. As far as sacred ground goes it is no more sacred than any other parcel around here. Enough smoke and mirrors, build it.

If you have ever driven commercially and have to do so in this town you are begging for something other than 23rd street to K-10 to get in and out of the area, or to bypass it all together. I can't wait for the dozers to start pushing dirt and move all the cry babies and professional whiners on to some other cause they can apply their trade to.

If you are even a small complainer don't bother responding to my post, I don't care what you think. This whole thing has taken 20yrs to long to finish. Let the concrete flow!

IdahoWinds 3 years, 3 months ago

At least we can count on Bozo being consistent - he doesn't have any defense for his myoptic view of everything. If Amer Indians say it is so... then it must be so and they do not have to prove their case...it just is because it is! Case closed - right Bozo!!?

IdahoWinds 3 years, 3 months ago

Both sides make up stuff to try to illustrate their point. As I indicated before, according to my sources the Baker Wetlands is not a pristine wetlands and hasn't been since 1854 when it was homesteaded. But because it is a wet meadow rather than a wetland with a lot of open water it is considered to be less than high quality. Quivira NWR and Cheyenne Bottoms are the "best known" wetlands in the state and yet the bird species list for the Baker Wetlands is longer...go figure! Water has never been pumped in or out of the wetlands. The levees are not to hold the water in but were built to hold it out. The wetlands are not wet because of Wakarusa River flooding over its banks but due to run-off that can't get into the Wakarusa River during period of high water in the Kansas River....go figure. It is fully functional without human intervention. Yes, both sides have tried to prove burials or no burials. There is "knowledge" of only one indian burial in the "wetlands" and it actually occurred along the banks of the river NOT in the wetlands. According to people who should know, the claims of the 400-500 unmarked graves was made up by Chuck Haines when researching ways to protest the SLT in the early 1990's. You can never prove there are no graves - you can only prove there are and the opposition is not obligated to do so. It is a very cleaver ploy on Haines' part. The lawsuit is less cleaver. It was poorly written and never really gets to the heart of the issues that could have been challenged. Even though Judge Vratil was sympathetic to the lawsuit she could only come up with two things that the opponents might argue - funding and noise study. Neither of these will take the Appeals Court 18 months to reject. The LJW has indicated that KDOT says the difference between 32nd and 42nd is $50 mill. According to other KDOT sources the mitigation etc. will cost perhaps $10-11 mill. For Vratil to make her statement indicates she did not have the facts. The noise study could easily be amended without any impact. The lawsuit will not hold up the SLT as Vratil rejected an injunction, construction will begin in 2013 when funding for T-Works becomes available. The opponents can continue to protest on 31st all they want but any potential impact by the opponents will finally be over within 18 mo. Some people will move on, others never will - how unfortunate for them that they will only be able to look at the negative side to the issue.

scott3460 3 years, 3 months ago

We have plenty of roads and right of way. If the concern is getting West to East across Lawrence, then make 23rd street limited access, make it wider and funnel the traffic right down the center of that mess of junky commercialization.

oletimer 3 years, 3 months ago

Build the road stupid!! The treehuggers have been holding up this project for way too long. Does anyone even remember the first reason? A frog. There have been so many more excuses no one can remember. By the way, how is that lawsuit against the tree huggers coming for making this project cost us millions of dollars more? Sign me up. Build the road stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northtown 3 years, 3 months ago

Man made mud hole is what you have-Go look at a natural wetland-No new road,then drain the new wetland and turn it back into farm ground-Just like it all used to be.Haskell would have no wetland if not for the little tubes that under the road,put there to save a frog that has died out..This is just stupid,just like most of lawrence,insane old hippies of some kind-go smoke some bath salts and go away!!! Build that road-lawrence is hated in the rest of the state-why is that i wonder? Damn Liberals!!!!!!! Goodluck-no road,just a mudhole is your future!!!!!!!!!!!!

kujayhawk7476 3 years, 3 months ago

This group constantly fighting a losing battle for 15 years, has made Lawrence and the state a laughing stock among their peers. Build the road and rebuild the wetlands. Pray somewhere else....the prayer circle wasn't built until plans for the road surfaced, so how sacred can it be?

doc1 3 years, 3 months ago

Richard Heckler 3 years, 3 months ago

Executives from the development and real estate industries were present in court hearings early on in this process. This I would say represents the other side.

Taxpayers should demand a new cost estimate on this roadway. $188 million was about 20 years ago. Since the Bush/Cheney home loan fiasco wrecked the economy there may never be enough federal tax dollars for this road so that may mean a tax increase locally. The federal tax dollars initially provided for the roadway were spent on the western leg.

Could taxpayers be looking at a cost of $300 million?

As we speak it seems there are I-70 connectors on either end of Lawrence: The western leg and the new Tonganoxie interchange. Why not make this work?

TJ_in_Lawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

I've lived within1/2 mile of the wetlands for 35 years. It irritates me to death to hear people talk about the sacred ground aspect of this ground. For more than 20 years of my living there this sacred ground was filled with abandoned refrigerators and junk so prevalent it looked like a junk yard. So you can say all you want how sacred the space is, but actions speak louder than words and the actions said profane more than sacred for many years.

Hoots 3 years, 3 months ago

I just love people talking about the developers in all this. Can anyone tell me how much of this can be developed? I guess you ignore the fact that most of the road will be built elevated above a flood plain. Not exactly the best place to build another Kwiky Mart. Does anyone here understand any of these regulations or do you just like making things up? If you think most of that ground is just ripe for development then I've got a nicely used bridge I'm interested in selling cheap.

lounger 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh yes!!! I hope this is stalled in court and the "haters" simply forget about destroying this wildlife treasure. Thats what it is because we are really lucky to have it so close to the great city of lawrence. Any other city/county would have destroyed the wetlands years ago. Im really glad we have some peeps fighting for the wetlands who have some "salt" (guts & determination). So, once again we holler "LEAVE THE WETLANDS ALONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

How many offensive terms referring to a person's ethnic background can bozo get away with posting in this thread?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 3 months ago

These people are like the conspiracy crowd, you know, the nit-wits that cling to the grassy knoll theory, the expolsives hidden in the twin towers, the Obama Kenyan citinship, the faked moon landing, just a bunch of ner-eo-wells who want to stir up and keep stiring trouble for a damned stinking mosquito infested swamp. These people have no anchor to reality, no compulsion for the endless damage they do to the community, and no concept of progress and need. They will hang on to their obstructive agenda right up to throwing themselves in front of the bulldozers. This is how mentally ill and deranged these "opponants" are in their never ending litany of obstructionism and hatefullness to their community. But the lawyers love them, the fees they get for coddling these dolts. Wonder if any of the Phelpses are involved in this legal morass?

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 3 months ago

How long will this lawsuit tie things up? This road needs to be built...I'm so sick of having to take 21st street to get across town in a reasonable period of time.

kusp8 3 years, 3 months ago

Can somebody please send me a message with a link to a map and/or diagram of where exactly the new SLT will be?

Thanks!

2002 3 years, 3 months ago

I wonder what percentage of opponents of the SLT extension have actually been to the Baker Wetlands. I've been there; in fact, I've been there several times. It is pretty nice, but it is far from a quality wetland area. I am all for preservation, but this is a silly fight. It is a very low quality wetland (as wetlands go). The SLT would impact less than 60 acres of wetlands, in reality almost all of that is extremely poor in quality and in return the project would reestablish 300 acres as wetlands. As far as it's benefits: another wetland location could have a better educational and recreational value, there is little true ecological value and the cultural and spiritual value that is argued is an outright lie. The standard for 'spiritual' value can't be 'because we said so."

The opponents here aren't an environmental lobby because the plan as it sets now will be a positive, so we should look elsewhere to determine what the opposition is about.

The worst part of this is that the 42nd Street alternative is actually a greater impact environmentally, the opposition just doesn't care. I used to be an advocate of a south of the river alternative, until I spent a little time there.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 3 months ago

Economic growth is dead in this village so why does anyone want to build a road through a flooded cow pasture? All Larryville needs is a train, more bike paths and mandatory bus passes.

Hey I know. Make 10 a troll road so that people have to pay to visit like they have to in the northern part of Larryville.

macon47 3 years, 3 months ago

haskell is holding out for a casino on campus of course the state will let you smoke there

xclusive85 3 years, 3 months ago

"In its announcement, the plaintiffs noted the wetlands have ecological, educational, cultural, recreational and spiritual benefits to the community, which would be lost if a highway were constructed."

I understand most of this. I am probably just uninformed, but can anyone actually explain the cultural and spiritual benefits. If I remember right, the area that they want to build through was actually drained at one point or is man made wetlands?

Clark Coan 3 years, 3 months ago

This dispute would finally end if the County, KDOT engineers, Chambercrats and others would let their egos step aside and build the SLT south of the river.

cscmc 3 years, 3 months ago

well the man MIKE CARON who works for our county is the one leading all of this crap ! I agree lawrence is way behind and we need the road ! Tell me how a county employee who is paid by the county and the county gets funds from the state is allowed to keep his job after all these law suits ? BUILD THE ROAD !

YOU WETLAND PEOPLE STOP USING ALL OUR COUNTY AND STATE FUNDS FOR THIS CRAP ! ! ! !

JackMcKee 3 years, 3 months ago

Can we get the state casinos operating already? I want to put an end to the source of funding for this waste of our judicial system.

JackMcKee 3 years, 3 months ago

Frivolous litigation bought and paid for by tax exempt Indian casino profits costing taxpayers millions in legal fees.

macon47 3 years, 3 months ago

just another reason lawrence is the laughing stock of the midwest bunch of whiners and crybabies who feel they better than everyone else rush limbaugh descibed lawrence very well no wonder the rest of the world looks at us as a bunch of losers

LHS56 3 years, 3 months ago

Enough is enough! Perhaps it is time for the plantiffs to pay for the City/County legal expenses if they lose....again.

Icy_Flame48 3 years, 3 months ago

Too bad. We are already way behind the surrounding cities, and yet people wonder why Lawrence has so many businesses downtown that can't stay in business. Who wants to deal with the mess of traffic we have here in Lawrence so tax dollars go else where. I don't understand why this is an issue; if it's because of the wetlands they are being replaced. End of discussion move forward!!!!!!!! For the sake of Lawrence build the SLT!

Clark Coan 3 years, 3 months ago

Let's see, this road was first dreamed up in 1985 at a secret meeting of county commissioners and Chamber of Commerce leaders. Meanwhile, 25 years later it is still not complete. Do the bureaucrats, developers, and bankers really think it's still going to happen?

Healthcare_Moocher 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe it is time to see if any of these groups are recieving taxpayer dollars for their funding. That place is no more sacred than where the outhouse used to be in the back yard.

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

Ah, here we go AGAIN. Geez, I wish we could appeal election results this easily. Some people just don't know how to handle losing when a Judge rules against them (again).

But hang on, this thread ought to jump to 100+ before long.