Archive for Monday, December 13, 2010

Off the bench? Bill Self leaning toward not starting Josh Selby against USC

Kansas guard Josh Selby smiles as he hears the student section chant "Free Selby" during the second half, Monday, Nov. 15, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selby is still waiting to be cleared to play by the NCAA.

December 13, 2010, 10:36 a.m. Updated December 14, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

Reader poll
How many points will Josh Selby score against USC?

or See the results without voting

As head coach of Kansas University’s men’s basketball team, Bill Self has the right to change his mind at any time.

As of Monday, however, Self said he was leaning toward not starting prize freshman combo guard Josh Selby, but bringing him off the bench in Saturday’s nonconference clash against USC (11 a.m., Allen Fieldhouse).

It’s Selby’s first game following an NCAA-mandated nine-game suspension.

“He’s getting all the reps with the first group now (at practice),” Self said, adding, “I don’t think I’m going to start him, even though I don’t have a ‘made-decision’ positively. I don’t think I will, because he has to beat somebody out. He needs to perform well in the games, and not just practice, but he’s going to give us some scoring punch.

“He’s certainly a threat when he catches the ball. He has to figure how to play to our other guys’ strengths, and they have to figure out where to get him the ball in certain situations and play to his strengths. It’ll take a little bit of time.”

Selby said he’ll embrace any role.

“I don’t mind not starting right away because I missed nine games. There’s players who played very well over those nine games who play the same position,” Selby said Monday. “I’m not worried at all. I just hope I can bring a lot of energy off the bench.

“I don’t look into all that,” Selby added, asked of the possibility of someday starting. “That’s a coach’s decision. I’m not concerned about that at all.”

Self said the 6-foot-2 Baltimore native likely would be used at off guard instead of lead guard.

“If he and Tyshawn (Taylor) are in the game at the same time, I’ll play Tyshawn on the ball the majority of the time,” Self said. “We tried to make Mario (Chalmers) a point guard from Day One, and then we moved him off the ball and let Russell (Robinson) do it. It was so much easier for him (Chalmers).

“Josh is going to be a point guard for us. He will end up being a true point guard in time. It’s a lot to throw at a guy, ‘OK, you are not only responsible for yourself, you are responsible for every single possession, and if we don’t have a good one, it’s going to basically be your fault.’ I’d rather put that on Tyshawn right now than Josh.”

Selby said he’ll embrace his role as combo guard.

“Whoever gets the ball just brings it up in our offense,” Selby said. “I think it’d be easy to adjust to (shooting guard). The coaching staff did a great job teaching me to play off the ball and giving me some good pointers along with my teammates. I think it’d be easy for me because me and Tyshawn have got a great chemistry together in practice.”

Selby is too busy this week — finals week — to be stressing over Saturday’s much-anticipated debut.

Rivals.com’s No. 1-rated recruit has three final exams and five papers to complete in addition to hoops practice responsibilities.

“The only thing I would like to do,” Selby said of his debut, “is just don’t mess up the chemistry my team already has because they have a great chemistry out there. You can see it when you watch the games, so that’s the only thing I want to do besides winning.

“The toughest thing I think I’ll have to adjust to is the game speed. The college level is much faster than the high school level. That and just the fans because the fans here are crazy.”

He said he has appreciated the fans chanting his name and carrying “Free Selby” signs.

“I think we were ranked the No. 1 toughest place here,” he said of Allen Fieldhouse, “so just the cheering and acknowledgment is going to put butterflies in my stomach.”

He said he appreciated his teammates’ support.

“They were sending me text messages (on road trips), letting me know there was a missing piece and they were missing me with them, so I was OK. I was cool. They kept me going,” Selby said.

He said his teammates have expectations.

“From what they have been saying in my ear, just somebody who can create their own shot and (bring) toughness,” Selby said.

“The only thing I see for myself ... our offense runs through the (Morris) twins. You can see they are great guys. They are great scorers, great players. I take a back seat regardless, but whatever my team and coaching staff need me to do, I’ll do for them to win.”

Self said Selby figures to have his ups and downs.

“We may not play great all the time. I don’t know of any freshman with the exception of maybe (Kevin) Durant or (Michael) Beasley who does look great all the time,” Self said. “We are certainly excited about it. I know he’s excited. I think expectations should be tempered somewhat, not from a talent standpoint, just from the role we’ll have him play. He will be one of five. He will not be ‘the guy,’ just like we won’t have ‘the guy’ this year. We haven’t really had ‘the guy’ when we’ve had our best teams here.”

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

Brent Fry 4 years ago

"We haven’t really had ‘the guy’ when we’ve had our best teams here.”

Seems like a little shot at SC. And I won't argue one bit with Self on that.

Daniel Kennamore 4 years ago

We were worse off for having Sherron last year. His selfish ball-handling stifled the development of the underclassmen last year. We might have lost more games in the regular season without him, but would've been a better team for a run in march.

Jim Williamson 4 years ago

I think now we see how good other people could've been if it hadn't been for Collins chucking 22 shots a game.

Brent Fry 4 years ago

What do you disagree with? I was saying that I agree with Self. Our best teams have a lot of talent and don't have "the guy".

martyks 4 years ago

I know for a fact it was not "selfish ball handling" from Collins. That's absurd. The kid tried to do too much because he wanted to help his team win. SC was a much better supporting player than he was cast as "the guy". Fault him all you want, but his performance against Memphis in the waning minutes of regulation is the single most important contributing factor why we have a Championship banner in the barn. He received far less credit for that game than Mario did, and contributed far more. His diving recovery and perfect dish to Mario, after all, was completely required to set Mario up for that final shot. We all cheer the shot at every game. But the thing we should cheer equally, was SC's amazing play to set it up.

cabella 4 years ago

Going to be interesting game management from here out

hbjayhawk 4 years ago

I can't believe he won't start Selby. Time for Brady to wear warm-ups for 37 min a game heading into conference play. We are lucky to be 9-0. Selby is such an athlete and Self is really underscoring the impact he will have. With the Morris twins, Taylor, Selby, Reed and Robinson, this team is dangerous! I can't wait for the season to really begin Saturday. USC is a good team, having thumped Texas at the Galen Center. KU will be much more exciting to watch our Jr. studs will be happy knowing we have a better defender and shooter on the court (vs. Brady).

irvan moore 4 years ago

Brady Morningstar may not be the best player on the court most of the time but i think he's got the most "basketball sense" and adds a lot to both ends of the court.

lhs2013 4 years ago

"Selby's first game will be Saturday against USC"

"Kansas University freshman guard Josh Selby will probably not start his first college game Saturday against USC"

Wow. The caption doesn't even match up with the story.

mk9992 4 years ago

How do they not match? You can play in your first game even if you don't start.

Bill Lee 4 years ago

It's not who starts that matters. It's who finishes. I hope KU is blowing out USC to the point that most of the Hawks on the floor at the end are walkons. What matters about Selby is how many minutes he plays, not when they start.

Bob Forer 4 years ago

In Self We Trust. It's gonna be all good.

amesn 4 years ago

"Starters should be Selby, Tyshawn, Morris twins and Robinson playing". Marcus going to be a shooting guard Grandma? Although I am sure he may eventually be groomed in the NBA to play the 3, that is not the way Self is gonna line it up right now. Its funny how most of the commenters base their basketball knowledge on how many offensive numbers a player puts up. Defense wins games people and Brady Morningstar, whether you like the little princess or not, is helping us win games with his defense. Don't get me wrong Grandma, I like your suggestion of having a huge team out there but its not practical when it comes to defending the perimeter and especially not when Kief starts getting into foul trouble..we need T-rob ready to come in and defend like a beast (without fouling of course) when the need arises and the twins have accumulated fouls. As far as starting Selby-yea, maybe eventually, but right out of the gate, and when and if he does get placed as a starter, it won't be Brady sitting down

stuckinthemiddle 4 years ago

you're wrong about KU being the only team who uses a 3 guard offense... 3 guards/perimeter players and 2 bigs is pretty standard in college basketball and has been for quite some time...

the big lineup that you'd like to see is something that Self might go with now and then if they're having trouble inside... for instance... we could see that line up against Texas A&M (the biggest team in the country)...

but most of the time KU's 3 spot will be filled with a smaller player... a player who is more of a guard than a forward... offensively... just like a lot of college teams...

jonas_opines 4 years ago

"KU is the only team that 'thinks' 3 guard offense and get their butts kicked on the boards game in and game out."

What are you talking about? KU has a positive rebound margin, 8 over opponents. 30 somethingth overall. Not matching up to the highest ones who have 15 or so up on opponents, but then those teams aren't leading the NCAA in assists and in FG% (which is typically due to guard play)

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

As soon as Selby gets out there and starts making his magic, Brady will be little more than the team towel boy. I'd take Tyshawn and or Tyrel over Brady anyday. He's a good defender and can hit a three once a year and that's about it.

TopJayhawk 4 years ago

You always start your best defender. That is just the way it is.

stuckinthemiddle 4 years ago

hmmm... I'm no expert on these things... but I believe Brady has been playing the 3 spot... Josh will be playing the 2 spot... of course... for Coach Self's offense this makes little difference... but defensively it is a key distinction... and Brady is a great defender at the 3 spot...

I'm guessing that Coach Self will do as he always has done... go with a lot of different combinations in his lineup.... but I think this will probably cost Tyrell more minutes than it will Brady... and likely will cost Elijah the most...

jeffds01 4 years ago

josh will beat out either brady or tyrell within one or two games, maybe even before that....

I see brady being the first to lose his minutes, because he doesn't score....

it's not all about defense when you play the 2 or 3 position, you needt to bring an ability to score to the floor as well...

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Man, did Morningstar slash a few of y'all's tires in his youth?

dani36921 4 years ago

Wouldn't surprise me. Did you know him in high school? Haha

jmonley 4 years ago

It is utter nonsense to suggest that Selby has to beat out Brady Morningstar even for one game. I am sick to death of the propaganda machine acting like Morningstar belongs on the court when he shows us game in and game out that he does not. The "great" defender that is consistantly beaten off the dribble by everyone he guards. The "smart" player that turns the ball over frequently. The "shooter", who doesnt even LOOK at the basket when he is open behind the arc anymore. The fact that Elijah Johnson has been wasting minutes on the bench is bad enough, but to have Josh Selby on the bench for even one minute in favor of Morningstar is embarrassing.

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

I hear you man. Every time Brady gets on the court you'll hear me chanting "overrated...." not that I don't like him or anything, I just favor other players who can defend AND score over him.

hbjayhawk 4 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more. The team wants Josh. Trust me, Brady has been nothing but an embarassment since his DUI. Everyone is like, "oh, he deserves a second chance . . ." Well guess what, we have him a second chance and this "great" defender left Ali Faroukmanesh wide open to knock us out of the tourney last year. This year, he is the achillies heel. Selby is an athlete, a stud, a game-changers. Brady is the son of Roger and thank God his dad funnels all that stolen cash into the Williams Fund so his boy could finish his education at KU and not UMKC. I love KU, I love coach Self, but Brady getting minutes is not the way we will be in Houston in April.

stuckinthemiddle 4 years ago

you love coach Self but you believe that he's the kind of guy that would put Brady on the court because of his dad's money?

really?

stuckinthemiddle 4 years ago

~chuckle~

"propaganda machine"

the reality is that Brady continues to start and play significant minutes on a team that is ranked 3rd in the nation and that is coached by who is widely considered one of the best college basketball coaches in the nation, Bill Self, who has won a National Championship and has a nearly unmatched winning percentage in college basketball...

but jmonley could be right...

maybe Bill Self is just another part of the "propaganda machine"...

nobody1793 4 years ago

Is that the same machine that churns out the Salty Iguana burritos?

Kontum1972 4 years ago

my feeling is that ...USC and a few other teams are going to do what it can to mess up this freshman on the court. The bullseye is on "Selby"..the last game reminded me of a street-brawl and a few of our players got hurt..i can just picture what a battle-royal this is going too be...

Self is the "Boss"...you are the arm-chair benchwarmers...this team delivers and every other team is gunning for our HAWKS.

sit back drink your beer and root for the team....its not all Josh Selby..if u havent noticed...

irvan moore 4 years ago

so you really think Bill Self will give playing time to somebody because of who their daddy is/was? I think coach Self is looking at winning, not kissing up to an ex jock/booster.

hbjayhawk 4 years ago

Self is absolutely kissing booster brown-eye, beatnik. Come on! You don't bench/kick out a legacy from KU. Roger would have always been remembered for having a son booted off the team rather than the non-existant "all time" stats he generated. Brady got a break because he is white. If Lester Earl got a DUI or Keith Langford got a DUI, they would be gone!

irvan moore 4 years ago

white people get preferred treatment in basketball?

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

Niko Roberts got on the team just cus his dad has connections to Self...... just saying. I'm a Self lover by the way. I love my Self.

Kontum1972 4 years ago

one dui means nothing...u get 3 your toast....then its is a felony....and u will be off the team u will go to jail for a few weeks.