Archive for Sunday, December 5, 2010

Topeka man killed after kicking in neighbor’s apartment door

December 5, 2010

A 49-year-old Topeka man who forced his way into his neighbor’s apartment was shot and killed by the tenant.

Police say Edward Bowens was found dead just after 3 a.m. Saturday at an apartment complex five blocks southwest of the Kansas Statehouse.

The tenant, who hasn’t been named, was being questioned Saturday morning but had not been arrested or charged with anything.

A resident of the complex said the man who was shot lived across the hall from the apartment he broke into.

The resident said the shooting victim may have been looking for someone he believed was in the apartment where he was shot.

Comments

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

beatrice (anonymous) replies …

Thanks for the tip on Lott's book. I will try to take a look at it some day. I agree with the rest of what you have to say, and I don't think you should just wait and let someone knock down your door either. However, I still don't want a gun in MY house. Nobody can deny that deaths by guns are much higher in homes with guns in them than those without. That means to me that more guns kill loved ones than kill intruders. Some might see not have a gun in the home as taking a risk, while I see it the other way. Either way, life is about deciding which risks you care to take.

December 6, 2010 at 8:53 p.m.

---However, in homes where guns are owned by trained gun owners, there is a vastly different story Bea.

the stat you have here probably comes from the antigun people who routinely quote stats out of context or overgeneralize.

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

A warning shot was not warranted in my opinion. As I see it, the only person responsible for the shooting and the death was the person kicking in the door. Had he not tried to kick in the door, there would have been no need for a reaction. The warning "shot" was the closed door to someone else's home.

I don't care to live with a gun myself, but sometimes they work exactly as they are intended, and this is one of those times.

thebigspoon 3 years, 4 months ago

Defend your home. It is better to be tried by 12 than to be carried by 6...

CorkyHundley 3 years, 4 months ago

Don't be a madman and fire warning shots.

To save valuable lives when confronted by a crazed attacker, brandish your heater, piece or pistol. Showing it to them will send a threatening message that will wilt the crazed attacker like a lilly without water.

ha

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

Ron, you've seen too many movies. If a miscreant is breaking thru your door, aim for his center-of-mass and keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 4 months ago

I wonder how the shooter will view this incident in the olam haba. Was there really no chance for a warning or a warning shot?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

Bea: research by John Lott.
book "more guns, less crime" and research since.

your ordinary wooden door isn't much to keep out a determined thug.
I'd insist on wooden doors being replaced by metal doors. and, get deadbolt or chain. but not a chain that just goes to the trim of the door frame. if necessary take that off and sink a wood screw into the doorpost to anchor the chain.

when someone, you don't know who or why, is working over your door, you don't have time to worry if he's just lost, drunk, or whatever! you don't have the time.

middlemgmt 3 years, 4 months ago

I hate guns but I think having someone kicking in my door would be terrifying and I would want to defend my home quickly with no questions asked. From the sounds of it, I can't blame the guy for shooting.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

I didn't read one "liberal" comment that victimized the person who defended his home as a bad person? There were different takes on guns and how they might handle the situation, A couple of people who seemed a bit creepy that they envied the opportunity to shoot someone. I know people who had to defend their family against an intruder, they sure didn't relish the opportunity. they had courage and luck and made it out alive . Nicest guy I know, old, got stabbed in his home with his wife who was ill in bed. They made it. He said Christ was with them. He sorrowed over the death of the intruder, they felt sorrow for the family. They said it was such a terrible waste. They wished the intruder had chosen to not do it. Maybe one of the deleted posted criticized the home defender, if so I was mistaken in thinking you imagined it.

Caesar_Augustus 3 years, 4 months ago

Funny how everyone is thinking only of the guy who kicked down the door, yet no one takes a second to think about the person who was protecting himself and his property and quite possibly a family. He has to live with the fact that he killed someone while protecting himself, yet he is being victimized as the bad person. Only in Lawrence, damn liberals. The pussification of America continues here in this town...

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

I am sorry for the family that lost someone, and I am sorry for the person who ended up shooting an intruder. Unlike many the commenters I don't pretend to know the circumstances. A family lost someone and someone shot someone and for me that would be a terrible hard thing. I feel sorry for both, glad no more ended up dead.

notanoobhere 3 years, 4 months ago

Charlie Bannister 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes Beatrice, in answer to your question---statistics are kept on the fact that crime goes down when concealed carry laws are enacted. NRA keeps all kinds of statistics on every state and major cities. I will back off one thing I said though. I do not have any statistics about whether you have a more respectful society or not. In fact, as I think more about it, we probably don't. When I quit hearing "Sir" and "Maam" out of the mouths of young people, I knew we were in trouble as a society. So I will give you that one.

cds 3 years, 4 months ago

Gandalf 3 years, 4 months ago

If I had my staff handy I would have turned him into a frog. But my shotgun is always ready.

Charlie Bannister 3 years, 4 months ago

You act like an idiot-- then you face the consequences. All part of a little thing called "personal responsibility." I'd have done the same thing. My home is my castle and where my precious family lives. You break down my door, you die. Period. My wife can shoot just as good as I can. Got my concealed carry too, and as far as I am concerned that just makes for a little bit more respectful society. Everywhere concealed carry goes into effect crime goes down. I rest my case.

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

According to an update in the Topeka paper late last night, a resident said the victim knocked on the door before he kicked it in. Apparently he assumed no one was at home.

CMM 3 years, 4 months ago

Please people. You had to expect that half of the posters on here would complain about guns and claim they would have invited this guy into their home with milk and cookies. These same people are the reason the homeless population is out of control in this town. They believe it's our job to feed and shelter them.

Had that guy kicked in my door, he'd be in the same place he is today, dead.

bobberboy 3 years, 4 months ago

that's what you can expect when you break in to someones home !

kjellifritt 3 years, 4 months ago

I would too. How could anyone not expect someone to defend themselves? You kick down my door, you better be prepared to face the consequences.

pizzapete 3 years, 4 months ago

I would have done the same thing if someone were kicking my door in.

slowplay 3 years, 4 months ago

One less idiot in the gene pool.

Alceste 3 years, 4 months ago

Guess he really wanted to get in, huh?

Steve Jacob 3 years, 4 months ago

Wonder if he was drunk and thought he was at his door, his keys did not work, so broke the door. Not a big fan of guns, but you can sure have the right to protect your home/family.

rtwngr 3 years, 4 months ago

Cooler heads prevailed when the guy that kicked the door in was laying on the floor, dead. The moral to this story is, "If you don't want to get shot, don't kick someone's door in!" God bless the right to bear arms!

bullydad1 3 years, 4 months ago

Glad cooler heads prevailed. Guns are great.