Archive for Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Downtown pep rally to celebrate start of KU football season

Arnulfo Guardado, an employee with All-Seasons Rental in Grandview, Mo., raises one of multiple tents Tuesday on the hill south of Memorial Stadium in preparation for Kansas University’s first football game of the season. The Jayhawks  will play North Dakota State at 6 p.m. Saturday. Downtown Lawrence will be the site of a Jayhawk football fan pep rally Thursday night.

Arnulfo Guardado, an employee with All-Seasons Rental in Grandview, Mo., raises one of multiple tents Tuesday on the hill south of Memorial Stadium in preparation for Kansas University’s first football game of the season. The Jayhawks will play North Dakota State at 6 p.m. Saturday. Downtown Lawrence will be the site of a Jayhawk football fan pep rally Thursday night.

August 31, 2010

Past Event
KU football pep rally

• When: Thursday, September 2, 2010, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Where: Downtown Lawrence, Lawrence
  • Cost: Free
  • More on this event....

Downtown Lawrence will be filled with a sea of crimson and blue Thursday night as Jayhawk football fans take over Massachusetts Street.

Starting at 5 p.m., Kansas University fans are invited to celebrate Friday’s start of football season with a downtown block party and pep rally. The 1000 block of Massachusetts Street will be closed to traffic from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. to allow for set up and clean up.

A kids zone will open at 5 p.m. followed by head football coach Turner Gill’s first Hawk Talk radio show at 6 p.m. outside Buffalo Wild Wings. Following the live broadcast, Gill will address the crowd outside the restaurant.

The KU Pep Band, spirit squad and cheerleaders will be rallying the crowd and leading chants throughout the event. Visitors may also have the chance to hear from players.

There will be no outside vendors with food and drinks, but local establishments will be open. Tom Kern, president of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, said they hope to have a city street vendor permit in time for the next pep rally on Oct. 21— two days before the Jayhawks take on Texas A&M in a Homecoming showdown. The Chamber is working in conjunction with Kansas Athletics and Downtown Lawrence Inc. in an effort to co-promote KU Athletics and downtown events.

The 2010 KU football season kicks off at 6 p.m. Saturday against North Dakota State.

Comments

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 3 months ago

Probably better to celebrate now, before any KU football is actually played.

sad_lawrencian 4 years, 3 months ago

KU: yawn.

Football: yawn.

KU Football: yawn.

George_Braziller 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree. I'm a KU grad, have lived in Lawrence for 30 years, and couldn't care less about basketball or football. Watching paint dry is more entertaining than spending hours enduring seeing an inflated piece of leather being kicked or bounced around.

Haiku_Cuckoo 4 years, 3 months ago

If any members of the KU football team are reading this, please disregard the negative commenters. These message boards are a hotbed of pessimism whenever the LJ World writes an article about KU athletics and the comments are typically made by the same handful of Negative Nancies time after time. Please know that the majority of Lawrence will be cheering for you guys and supporting you. Have a great season! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

BigAl 4 years, 3 months ago

Before I even opened this, I knew the negative people would be out in force. Too bad they have pathetic little lives. Why take the time to be this negative?

I am looking forward to this year. I don't expect a lot of victories but Saturdays on the hill are a lot of fun. I doubt if we do any worse than the 7 game slide last year. I am very optimistic for the coming years.

There will be a lot of people in and around Memorial Stadium that will be in full support of the Jayhawks! Count me in as one of them.

yourworstnightmare: yawn eotw33: yawn sad_lawrencian: yawn

slowplay 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a great way to start the season. I'll be there.

fan4kufootball 4 years, 3 months ago

Go Hawks! See you all Saturday at Memorial Stadium! Rock Chalk!

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

KU cheerleaders have the best pom poms!!

kusp8 4 years, 3 months ago

KU Marching Jayhawks have the best instruments...?

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

or are they the best at using their instruments?

KUstudent4life 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey Somedude20, I believe it's pom-pons. I know, crazy! I actually just learned that earlier this week and felt the need to pass on the knowledge.

Rock Chalk! I'll be down there supporting the team and welcoming Coach Gill to Jayhawk Nation.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks as that was the most interesting thing I have learned all week!

whats_going_on 4 years, 3 months ago

this inspired me to look up the definition of the word on Wiki

"A pom-pon is, at its most basic level, a decorative ball of fluff."

made me smile...what a simply silly explanation.

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years, 3 months ago

Okay, so yes, the season will have its challenges, but this dude is no fair-weather fan. No matter what prevails this year, you guys have 100 percent of my support...in it for the long haul. Let's see what this and the following seasons bring. Georgia Tech is likely the only game my family and will be able to attend, but we're REALLY looking forward to it! Front row and center in front of the tube for the remaining games...ROCK CHALK!

thepianoman 4 years, 3 months ago

Can't wait!!! Get out and celebrate KU, Lawrence and the beautiful weather in store! It will be an energy unlike any other!!!

I usher the KU athletic events and enjoy every minute of it. It's so much fun being immersed in a sea of crimson and blue!!!!!

gbulldog 4 years, 3 months ago

ONLY THE RICH CAN AFFORD TO ATTEND A KU BASKETBALL OR FOOTBALL GAME. WHY DO YOU THINK OUR CABLE AND SATELITE TV RATES ARE SO HIGH. DON'T YOU WISH THAT YOU COULD EARN WHAT A PRO EARNS AFTER YOU FINISH SCHOOL??

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

Are you this stupid every day day of the the year? Just curious.

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

"The fact that they've started charging admission for infants and toddlers (who might be there an hour) is proof positive that they're gonna suck."

They should also charge excessive admission for stupid people like you. But you won't be there, right? Right.

Take a hike.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 3 months ago

Wow...defender has a new account. How about that...

Confrontation 4 years, 3 months ago

Infants and toddlers shouldn't be out there anyhow. They don't watch the game, nor do they enjoy the screaming or bad weather. They annoy the heck out of everyone else in the stands. KU should charge double for them. Find a babysitter or stay home!

TopJayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Brom. I feel sorry for your kids. I bet your a real jerk to be around. So how is Coach Gill's first yr any different from any other coaches? They may not win many, but they will do it the right way, and in time, I think they will win their fair share. This team won't quit like last yrs team did. If a team will play hard for you for sixty minutes, that will make up for a lot of the inexperience. Again. Do you bad mouth all new coaches? Or just ones that have some integrity?

justforfun 4 years, 3 months ago

All I got to say is "KNOCK THEIR F-ING HEAD OFF" I'm sure Turner will love this as he's a non swearing kinda guy. LOL For those who don't know him this is a true statement.

bangaranggerg 4 years, 3 months ago

/"Starting at 5 p.m., Kansas University fans are invited to celebrate Friday’s start of football season with a downtown block party and pep rally."/

Aleese, did you mean to say Saturday's start of the football season?

Richard Payton 4 years, 3 months ago

Will that Lawrence gal that goes to the bars with her infant attend the games? Does Kansas offer a breast-feeding zone for the game. New era or same old junk?