• The KU Small Business Development Center announces upcoming seminars:
— “The Right Start” from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, 734 Vt. To pre-register for the free event, call 843-8844, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or go online at http://ksbdc.ecenterdirect.com/conferencelist.asp?CENTER_ID=1000006.
— “The Complete QuickBooks Pro” from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday at Office Helpline, 3000 Four Wheel Drive. Cost is $140 with pre-registration and $150 without pre-registration. Register online at: http://ksbdc.ecenterdirect.com/Conferences.action, call 843-8844, or e-mail email@example.com.
• Wesley F. Smith, a partner at the Lawrence and Topeka law firm of Stevens and Brand LLP, received the Kansas Bar Association’s Outstanding Service Award during its Installation and Awards Dinner June 11 in Wichita. The awards are given to recognize lawyers and judges for service to the legal profession and for recognizing nonlawyers for especially meritorious deeds or service that significantly advance the administration of justice or the goals of the legal profession.
• Dan Cary and Peggy Johnson, financial advisers with Ameriprise Financial, qualified for the annual Circle of Success recognition program. To earn this achievement, Cary and Johnson established themselves in the upper echelon of the company’s top producers and achieved recognition in financial planning, client service, professional commitment and corporate values. Cary works at 1321 Wakarusa Drive, Suite 2000, Lawrence. Johnson works at 3200 Mesa Way, Suite B, Lawrence.
• Jeffrey C. Randall, of OrthoKansas, P.A., will present a free seminar, “Dinner With A Doc: My Journey to Peru,” at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 18 at 1112 W. Sixth St., Suite 124. Seating is limited. To attend, call Dena Johnston at 838-7846 by Friday.
• The University Career Center at Kansas University is sponsoring a part-time Job Fair from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 18 in the fourth floor lobby of the Kansas Union. For a list of participating employers, go to KUCareerHawk.com.
• The Lawrence Chamber of Commerce conducted a ribbon-cutting ceremony for three new retail businesses: Discovery Furniture, RoomMakers and Mattress Headquarters. The ribbon cutting was Thursday in front of the Mattress Headquarters store, 2525 Iowa. The public grand opening of the stores, owned by the Winter family of Topeka, will be Aug. 27.
• Hickory Pointe Care and Rehabilitation Center has been recognized as a 2010 recipient of the Bronze Commitment to Quality National Quality Award presented by the American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living. Hickory Pointe Care was one of more than 450 organizations to receive the award, which will be presented during AHCA/NCAL’s 61st Annual Convention and Exposition, Oct. 10-13 in Long Beach, Calif.