Letters to the Editor

Service cut

April 23, 2010

To the editor:

To the person who wrote the headline “And city could save by not collecting them” (Journal-World, April 17). I fail to see how cutting back on a city service should save the city any money at all. If they cut back on a service for which they are presently charging area homeowners, they would be ethically bound to stop charging for it. I am charged $13.85 per month for two collections per week. If they eliminate the yard waste collection, it should save me $6.93 per month, not the city.

Comments

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

When is the last time city government reduced user fees as a result of reducing service?

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 7 months ago

Great point, Mr. Gregoire. What you are describing is the equivalent of a tax increase.

number3of5 4 years, 7 months ago

Why don't all you Lawrencians just let your lawn grow all summer, then when it is tall enough, mow it down, bale it and donate it to an animal shelter that needs it for horses, goats, etc? This would save you the cost of mowing every week, and save the city money by not having to haul it to a composting area, only later to sell it back to you as compost.

jtfexpress 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow, that's a good idea and helps the humane society. I'm not a horse/goat farm type, but I'm glad to hear that Roundup and fertilizers, weed killer doesn't harm animals!

George Lippencott 4 years, 7 months ago

Among the many things my realtor gave us when we moved here eight years ago is a phamplet from the city tellimg me how my refuse would be handled. CONSPICIOUS AMONG THE MATERIAL LISTED WAS GRASS CLIPPINGS AND LAWN WASTE. So if Devers wants to discontinue a service I have been paying for and expect the city to provide I want the city to get out of my business so I can contract with someone else to remove all my trash!!!

I am getting really tired of elected officials imposing someone's view of mechanisms to address climate change on a small segment of the population. Close the bars. No cars to schools (including KU). One kid. (Just think how much carbon we can save by reducing our population with specific focus on those having children that they can not afford or raise peoperly)!!!

The goal is reductions in carbon. Provide a carbon ration to each person and let them manage their afairs or pay a penalty. The mob should not be allowed to rule and demand sacrifice that they themselves do not have to make.

devobrun 4 years, 7 months ago

Four years ago I was annexed into the city. I was on a septic system, and still am. I gathered my trash and took it to the dump periodically. I agreed to annexation because somebody else was willing to pay for road improvements (special taxes). I really didn't care for the road improvements, but I knew it was it inevitable, so I found someone else to pay for it.

Nothing changed and I really didn't care if I was in the city or the county.

Then a letter came saying that I wasn't paying the $13 somethin' per month for trash pickup.

OK, I'll pay. I don't use it much. I still go to the dump myself.

Actually, I go to the dump more because I can't burn my refuse in the city. Actually, I can't shoot the crows that torment the Bluebirds. Actually I can't do many things for myself that I used to do because the city is in charge now. The city makes me clear the sidewalk in front of my land. The neighbors don't clear their sidewalks because they don't have tractors. I now live in a world of city folk. They can't do much. The city is an abomination. It is a concept that is intended to support people who cannot or will not do for themselves.

I am sad for the people of the world who think that life is a city where you learn to scam the system.

I wish the charlatans and shylocks would go away.

They won't; they will prosper.

We are doomed to ignorant servility to the bureaucracy. Because of the idea of a city. And over the city is the state, and over the state is the federal government, and over that is the government of the united nations of the world. I serve the borg.

The city is for parasites and wimps.

Your complaints are because you can't or won't do for yourself.

I am sad for you and your disabilities, cityfolk.