Archive for Tuesday, April 20, 2010

KU student issued citation in Louise’s West accident

A KU student was issued a citation for crashing into the Lawrence bar early Sunday morning. Damage from the incident caused the establishment to close while it worked on repairs.

April 20, 2010

A KU student was issued a citation Monday night for her involvement in a car accident that forced a local business to close.

According to Lawrece police Sgt. Damon Thomas, officers received a call from someone who said they thought they knew the owner of the vehicle that ran into Louise’s West, 1307 West Seventh St. early Sunday morning.

Thomas said the owner had tried to report the vehicle stolen, but an investigation into the claim revealed it was not.

Police identified the driver in the incident as Brandy Fausnaught, 22, Lawrence. The woman had been driving her friend’s car, a silver SUV, early Sunday morning when the accident occurred.

Thomas said the woman was not arrested, but was issued a citation about 9:05 p.m. Monday for leaving the scene of an accident, reckless driving, driving with a revoked or suspended license and failure to report an accident.

Comments

CreatureComforts 4 years, 8 months ago

Picking the 5 biggest areas from which KU students hail does not a great mind make you...

bearded_gnome 4 years, 8 months ago

indeed, driver was almost certainly wasted!

once again, drunk driver on our streets gets off with barely a slap on one demure little wrist.

maybe Louise's should require the drunken/brat to perform service...perhaps she should be required to clean their toilets for a year.

dontcallmedan 4 years, 8 months ago

Seventh Street is a drunkard's highway through the neighborhood. Louise's West has sent their share of wasted patrons down that road, and this event seems almost like karma payback.

LadyJ 4 years, 8 months ago

Never thought I would see the day I actually agreed with One_eye. Judge McGrath is an idiot and let thiefs go free even though they admit stealing.

LadyJ 4 years, 8 months ago

Not my experience, let the three thieves that stole from me get off scott free.

tanaumaga 4 years, 8 months ago

How much revenue is lost due to the closure of west?...the driver needs to be hauled before the scene of the crime and have the ?#@$ slapped out of them....that will learn 'em.

emptymind 4 years, 8 months ago

She should be made responsible for repairing any and all damages caused by her stupidity. And cleaning toilets for a year is not a bad idea either.

LadyJ 4 years, 8 months ago

So I catch one of them hiding in my garage a year later and he gets a misdemeanor trespassing and a little fine. What did they think he was doing there?

whatupdown 4 years, 8 months ago

Drunks crashing into bars, that works for me.

rousseau108 4 years, 8 months ago

How about charging the vehicle owner with falsely reporting a felony, which is also a felony not just some wimpy citation.

iloveme 4 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if the person would have been someone other than a female, the outcome would have been different? I think had this been a male, the guy would have been arrested... How are the citations she received not grounds for being arrested?

Richard Payton 4 years, 8 months ago

How many more drunken establishments can she hit! Might just be mothers against drunk drivers new poster child. If they can't serve, they can't swerve could be the motto.

d_prowess 4 years, 8 months ago

Is it normal for the name not to be published? I know the LJW doesn't post the names of folks suspected of crimes, but this woman was issued a citation, so shouldn't her name be listed?

d_prowess 4 years, 8 months ago

I just read the story about this in the Daily Kansan and they reported that the police would be releasing the names later today. Thus, it is more obvious as to why they were not included!

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Texting while on cell phone ordering K-2 with beer between knees. When everybody knows humans can only focus on two things at once . . .

smarty_pants 4 years, 8 months ago

What's Jimmy D going to do now? He won't have anywhere to start his binge drinking on Friday nights!! Scheit!!

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 8 months ago

Watch your proofing LJW guys...try to spell Lawrence correctly in your story...

Miss_E 4 years, 3 months ago

I love how people treat this as an unforgivable crime. This place does nothing but draw filthy and destructive people into that neighborhood to make people who live there miserable. I hope its condemned.

srjr 4 years, 3 months ago

I love how people who live in this neighborhood complain about West being a nuisance and bad for the area. It is one of the most responsible bars in town in that we clean up after ourselves, don't have music outside, and abhor serving underage kids (only been issued one underage drinking ticket in the past 15 years). Not to mention the fact that the bar predates all the apartments, most of the houses, and even the actual street it sits on. Now I can't be positive, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has lived in seriously close proximity to West for 35 consecutive years, And hey, you moved within earshot of an existing and established bar. What did you expect?