Archive for Thursday, April 8, 2010

Retired Supreme Court justice to visit KU

April 8, 2010

Sandra Day O’Connor, retired associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, next week will visit the Kansas University School of Law.

She will deliver the school’s 2010 Shook, Hardy & Bacon Center for Excellence in Advocacy Annual Lecture. The talk, “An Evening with Justice Sandra Day O’Connor,” will take the form of a fireside chat between O’Connor and Judge Deanell Reece Tacha of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit.

It is set for 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Dole Institute of Politics. The invitation-only event is not open to the public.

O’Connor will also meet with law students and faculty during her two-day visit.

Comments

Eride 4 years ago

"rdragon writes:

Personally I could care less, but I do think if any of it is paid using public money, Then it shouldn't be closed to the public. That shouldn't be to hard to understand, should it?"

Actually yes, your argument is hard to understand. It is so asinine I am not quite sure if you even know what you are trying to argue. So I will just throw out some random facts that I think may or may not actually respond to whatever argument you are actually trying to make.

1. KU has thousands of invite only events a year.

2. It is part of the academic mission of KU to provide for speakers to speak to the students who are KU's goal to educate. KU's goal isn't to provide free education to every member of the public, if so, why have I spent so much money on tuition? (This is pretty obvious, I am convinced you are just being ornery and not admitting that your initial statement was idiotic.)

3. The majority of KU's funds are private and the proportion of private funds only increases every year.

4. The Dole Center sits on private land (owned by the Endowment Association) and was funded mainly (if not wholly) by private funds.

5. If Justice O'Connor is being paid, it is most likely coming out of funds set aside by the law school (which means it was paid for by the students in the form of fees and tuition... refer back to points 2 and 3) or an organization supporting the law school, or a private foundation, etc.

6. I am not even sure if you understand what you mean by "public money." Do you mean just that some of the money came from taxes? Or that KU is a "public" institution? Whaty do you mean by that?? Regardless... that is a silly argument to make. There are an infinite amount of examples of things funded partially or wholly by taxes (or public institutions) that restrict free and unfettered access to services.

7. I am going to repeat what Agnostick said, "Fail. Massive. Fail."

Agnostick 4 years ago

rdragon, I'm sure the event will be open to the public, just as the law school and KU, as a whole, are open to the public.

I would think you're more than welcome to apply yourself, hit the books, and write your tuition check to the law school...just as any other member of the public would.

Of course, if someone like Roberts or Scalia were coming, instead of O'Connor, you probably wouldn't be on here wringing your hands and soiling your diaper. You'd be fighting for the "right" of these people to have an invitation-only event on "public" property.

Fail. Massive fail.

M. Lindeman 4 years ago

Eride (anonymous) says… Um, rdragon, I am pretty sure the law students pay a ton of tuition for their education.

...Seems to be a thorn in your irrational argument.

rdragon writes:

Eride 4 years ago

...Seems to be a thorn in your irrational argument.

M. Lindeman 4 years ago

Eride

If it is public money and public time, then the public should have the chance to come also. If not then there should be an issue raised about it. Yes I agree with your statement that a prestigious person is important, but having said that, If is brought to us with public money, then the public should have a chance to attend.

Eride 4 years ago

Wow kansasredlegs, take a chill pill. The university and organizations related to the university host thousands of invitation only speakers and events every year. Having prestigious individuals come speak to students is a key part of the educational mission of the university. There obviously isn't unlimited room for events so some will be restricted in accordance with the purpose served by the event.

Obviously her visit is keyed to the law school not the public in general... despite your disapproval, it is going to be an invaluable experience hearing her speak.

kansasredlegs 4 years ago

If this event is "not open to the public," then I hope this event and its private organizers are not utilizing publicly-funded buildings, vehicles, KU personnel. If so, I hope that the Dole Institue parking lot is chock full of protesters of this "private" publicly-supported event.