Letters to the Editor

Library benefits

April 6, 2010

To the editor:

I want to encourage my fellow Lawrence citizens to support the recently proposed expansion of the Lawrence Public Library.

Since my retirement, I have become a library “regular.” My 4-year-old grandson and I enjoy frequent trips to the library. Often I use the computers in the lower level of the library to work on genealogy research, and I find the interlibrary loan service integral to that work as well.

It is obvious to me that a major expansion of the library facility is required in order for it to properly and effectively serve the Lawrence population. The children’s library staff has created an inviting environment for children, but they are highly confined by a lack of space. Patrons can only use a library computer one hour before being required to give it up to the next person in line. When doing research, I can barely get started on a line of thought before it is time to stop. Both of these concerns would be addressed by the proposed expansion.

I am a property owner and, being retired, live on a fixed income. The library expansion would cost me $37 per year, an acceptable amount for an initiative that will benefit the entire community so significantly. An added benefit of improving our library facility with expanded room for community programming is that we can bring more vitality to the downtown Lawrence experience. With an expanded Lawrence Public Library, downtown will be even better!

Comments

d_prowess 5 years ago

What I hear by reading this is that, Lawrence has a shortage of computers that access the internet. But I don't think that shortage automatically means such a huge expansion to the library! Perhaps the library should look at a small addition that could be made in the space they use during the book sale?
I don't know the answer, but I am pretty sure the demand for the library isn't large enough to justify such a huge expenditure. And I base that opinion on that I don't feel like I have heard any concrete reason for the expansion except that the folks at the library do a lot of great work and so they need more space to do more of it! What work needs to be expanded and what is the real demand? The movie was wrong: Just cause you build something, doesn't mean people will come!

matthewjherbert 5 years ago

Can we expand public education first? Or, at least, not kill it like we are currently doing? Thanks.

mr_right_wing 5 years ago

.....I agree. If we don't have money for our schools, then we definitely cannot afford library expansions and improvements. I'd love to see our library be more like Topeka's, but my budget really cannot take the extra burden. The library will get a "NO" vote from me. For now I'll go to Topeka, when our economy swings back (if that ever happens) bring this to a vote again and my vote will be different!

Don't make me go out in front of the library and throw turnips at it in protest!

svenway_park 5 years ago

I know one unskilled, non-degreed architect who I bet won't be working on this project.

Maybe he can dream another lawsuit up for this one, or file a complaint against a fellow architect.

seriouscat 5 years ago

Don't worry about it guys. My late fees should be more than enough to cover the expansion. You can thank me later by loaning me your library cards.

urka 4 years, 10 months ago

actually the point of socialism is not to be selfish because in theory it equalizes everyone. capitalism is driven by greed because everyone is trying to gain as much as they can for themselves without regard to others aka being selfish. public education is socialist in our country, as is our army, our head start program, food stamps, unemployment benefits, and soon our healthcare system so obviously socialism is supported by our government and since our government has supported these socialist programs while conservatives have been in power it is obvious that socialism is not entirely liberal based. your ignorance amazes me but it's not your fault because you have been spoonfed the ideas that communism and socialism are the root of all evil since you were born. try picking up a book. i agree with you that this proposal is irrational and should not pass, however you are brainwashed my friend. open your mind.

Boston_Corbett 5 years ago

Wow. Oak must have had a sex-change operation.