Letters to the Editor

Alcohol threat

April 2, 2010

To the editor:

I was outraged by the recent J-W headline and the photo of a group of young women enjoying an outdoor beer party. There is no such thing as “responsible drinking”!

A few years down the road, these young women will become alcoholics and probably marry alcoholics. Shame on Kansas University for even suggesting it is OK! What an example to set for our young people! It seems that their philosophy is if you can’t fight them, join them, or at least limit the damage posed by alcohol. KU, I am very disappointed in you!

Comments

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't necessarily disagree with the letter writers viewpoint but the sad reality is that most of these girls (and boys) in college were drinking even before they got to KU.

It has been my experience that most alchoholics start drinking very, very young. Almost no one waits until they are 21 to legally drink. Most get alchohol from their friends or their family. I had a client one, who was in her 40s, whose family members started giving her alchohol when she was 9.

My personal opinion is that if KU is going to sponsor event to teach "responsible drinking," then they should also sponsor AA meetings.

Dena

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

Reason enough NOT to load up Mass Street with any more bars. Sadly this commission made it easier by reducing the number of food sales required. The former Paradise Cafe and Vermont Street BBQ which is now bars serve no food.

The city should be part of team that is working toward a positive end. Romanticizing bars is not the way to go!

Sooner or later visitors will have no reason to visit our beautiful downtown. Neither will families.

matthewjherbert 4 years, 8 months ago

no such thing as responsible drinking? You ever enjoy a red beer after mowing the lawn? You ever enjoy wine with dinner? Ever take communion? All things in moderation..... Don't attack alcohol there Carrie Nation, teach responsibility.

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

Eva, it is people like you who get in the way of people learning how to drink responsibly. If you believe and teach your kids there is no difference between responsible drinking and problem drinking, then they will never learn to distinguish between the two. Your ignorance on the matter is sickening. I can't believe garbage like this makes it onto this site.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

Nothng wrong with sipping a beer but the picture did not do women any favors.

Then again that picture would NOT do any gender any favors.

Is there not anything else to do but be seen drinking?

How about groups being seen hiking,biking,working out with weights,power walking or sipping carrot juice at the Community Mercantile?

Or maybe groups could be seen planting gardens or learning how to grow veggies and ornamental grasses?

If Lawrence is trying to encourage sales taxes bring all of KU games home instead of feeding the KCMO cookie jars.

In the meantime let's try to emphasize hiking,biking,working out with weights,power walking sipping carrot juice at the Community Mercantile, hanging out at the library or planting gardens.

Get a picture of people purchasing walking shoes or bicycles.

mom_of_three 4 years, 8 months ago

Drinking or enjoying a beer in college, or in life, does not an alcholic make.

SnakeFist 4 years, 8 months ago

Women in Law, a group within KU law school, sponsors a yearly "pub crawl". Group members think its so great they actually note their participation on their resumes. To me, the very term "pub crawl" screams irresponsible, immature, and alcoholic - participants "crawl" between pubs because they're too drunk to walk.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if this is the real name of ShePrecedes. Sounds pretty similar.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 8 months ago

I rather like it when the ladies get a bit drunk. wink....wink....

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

you know Eva, I was started on breast milk and that was the gateway to juice which led to my coke addiction then I switched to water which made me start drinking G2 and once you start on that there is no going back so I got help and now drink beer.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, there actually is such a thing as responsible drinking. Unfortunately, for young people age 18-to-21 the skills and attitudes required to master it have been made illegal by "irresponsible politics" of the Family Values Christian Right types who enacted laws raising the drinking age to 21.

Where before the early 1980s a college freshman, sophomore or junior could legally buy beer in a bar, once the drinking age was raised to 21 they became "outlaw drinkers". Young people age 18-to-21 are going to party, most of them will want to drink, and there's nothing on earth that will stop them.

The "no drinking until 21" law has been a disaster. It encourages illegal binge drinking by young people who in all other legal respects enjoy adult status upon turning 18.

Jimo 4 years, 8 months ago

It is precisely Edmonds' attitude that drives so many into irresponsible drinking habits. Drinkers do NOT translate into alcoholics and when impressionable young people figure out that Edmonds and others have LIED to them they're quite likely to dump all of the advice and upbringing they've gotten from this now questionable source.

What sort of outcome do most parents think will happen when their children's first sup at the cup comes in a college environment rather than under their own oversight within the confines of the family home?

ralphralph 4 years, 8 months ago

We need to switch to mostly vodka ... it goes best with a state-run economy.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years, 8 months ago

And the gravy must always be situated upon the mashed potatoes, not touch the meat or vegetables!!! The TV absolutely must be tuned to the channel at 3:57 so I don't miss a second of Wheel of Fortune!

Time for your prune juice and meds, Queen Eva.

Jeez!

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick, Tom Shewmon wrote what I was thinking with his 6:23 comment. Guess I better be safe and take the opposite stand ... So way to go Eva! Great letter! You tell 'em!

Okay, that feels better.

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

"...Don't forget, Jesus turned water into wine. Does that make Jesus evil in your world?..."

Water was so contaiminated and dangerous to drink in those days,(and still is in parts of the world today) that people drank wine simply because it was less polluted. The fact that Jesus turned water into wine isn't an endorsement for drinking. Just thought I would point that out.

As for Eva's letter, I would guess that her concern is coming from an angle where she has had issues with alchoholism in her family and has seen the destructive effect irresponsible drinking has on the entire family not just on the individual that is drinking.

She didn't say anything about banning alchohol. However, considering how many rapes there are on college campus and how many of them have alcohol/drunkeness as an aspect, her editorial might be closer to the truth than the thought that 18-21 will naturally drink responsibily simpy because of a few classes on responsible drinking.

Dena

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

"There is no such thing as “responsible drinking”!"

I put the cork back in the Glenlivet after pouring. That's responsible.

"I was outraged by the recent J-W headline and the photo of a group of young women enjoying an outdoor beer party."

I kind of liked the picture, and didn't care about the headline (wasn't it something about sending students to encourage responsible drinking?). We sort of even each other out. You are a little more outraged than I am nonplussed, but that's OK. Some people live to be outraged. That is their entertainment.

independant1 4 years, 8 months ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. (Kinky Freidman)

independant1 4 years, 8 months ago

Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world. (Kaiser Wilhelm)

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 8 months ago

This is the sort of awesome crazy letters and responces that make the ljw an escape from sanity.