Archive for Thursday, April 1, 2010

Farmer’s Market taking weekday market out of downtown

Headed for parking lot at 6th and Wakarusa

Topeka residents Stan and Carla Soper shop for fresh lettuce on the opening day of the Downtown Lawrence Farmers' Market in 2008. They brought along their two chihuahua dogs Millie, left, and Cassie.

April 1, 2010

Lawrence’s Farmers Market will expand outside of downtown with a new market at Sixth and Wakarusa this spring.

Tom Buller, market coordinator, confirmed the organization’s board has decided to move its Thursday market from downtown Lawrence to the southwest corner of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive.

Thursday farmers' market moving to 6th and Wakarusa

The Thursday market will begin May 6, but the Tuesday and Saturday markets will remain near downtown. There will also be no dog restrictions at the market. Enlarge video

“We just felt like it is an area where there is a lot of population growth and a lot of traffic, especially in the evenings with commuters coming back from Topeka,” Buller said.

The new market is scheduled to open May 6, with hours from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. It will be in the parking lot that serves the Salty Iguana and other businesses. Buller said about 25 vendors had signed up to participate in the market, up from about 15 vendors who traditionally had participated in the downtown Thursday market.

The market is expected to have meat, produce, baked good, cut flowers and other agricultural products.

Businesses near the site said they were pleased to see a special event come to the west side of Lawrence.

“I think it is a real good idea,” said Michael Neth, owner of Eileen’s Colossal Cookies, 4931 W. Sixth Street. “The more traffic this center gets, the better. I think some people forget that there are quite a few retailers over here.”

The market in 2007 tried a location outside of downtown when it sold products in the parking lot of the Community Mercantile at Ninth and Iowa. But Buller said parking problems at that location ended the market after one year. He said parking at the new location should not be a problem.

The Tuesday and Saturday markets will continue to be in downtown. The Tuesday market will be from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the city parking lot at 1020 Vermont Street. Its first day is slated for May 4. The Saturday market will run from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the city parking lot at 824 New Hampshire. Its opening day is April 10.

Comments

thefisherman 4 years, 9 months ago

For the first time, it will be convenient for me to go to the Farmer's Market. Hooray!

Melinda Black 4 years, 9 months ago

edjayhawk, who cares where people work? If they pay their property taxes and spend their paycheck here, that is good for Lawrence. Amazing how some people have to find something negative to say about every single story posted on this site.

alineh 4 years, 9 months ago

I am disappointed that I won't be able to hit the Farmer's market on the way home from the pool in the summer. Guess I will just have to plan to do that on Tuesdays. I hope it helps the market.

IAwildrose 4 years, 9 months ago

One more thing that has been moved west towards "the haves".

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 9 months ago

Awesome! I will be there, now get rid of those darn dogs (except service animals). I'm sure whiners will be welcome too, you know who you are.

AlligatorMama 4 years, 9 months ago

Doesn't it show how much we "haves" love Lawrence that we choose to commute to work so we can live here instead of Topeka or Kansas City?

It's amazing to me how people on the west side of town are judged! I'm thrilled to have the Farmers Market out here by our house one day a week, now I can better support them because I will have the time to stop by on Thursdays!

maxcrabb 4 years, 9 months ago

I didn't know the Farmers Market takes credit.

mrjcg2 4 years, 9 months ago

Good idea. The Tuesday and Saturday markets are still downtown. The Saturday market down town will always be the "big one."

Theodoric_of_York 4 years, 9 months ago

I don"t know why East Lawrence just doesn't secede. I grew up in Lawrence, and now that I am back it just is worse. It is the worse college-town I have ever lived in in my life.

There is one movie theatre, one downtown (a narrow strip of street) and no community.

Lawrence sucks. The city planners suck. The movers and shakers of Lawrence suck. The whole town blows. It just gets worse and worse every decade.

"Maybe he's right. Maybe a sense of community is more important than profit. Maybe we in West Lawrence are too isolated, and have lost the sense of what Lawrence used to be, what it meant, what it stood for. Maybe community and local business and safe, clean, gathering places in walking distance make a town what it is. Maybe if we just stopped thinking about money and "development," we could bring back Lawrence to what it was - a place safe for children, a downtown where families could go on a Friday or Saturday nite, to east at a restaurant, see a movie, and then walk home in the evening. Maybe...... Naaah!"

Katara 4 years, 9 months ago

Man, some people sure love to gripe.

It is great that the Farmers' Market has expanded its locations so that more people have access to fresh produce.

lllwll 4 years, 9 months ago

I am going to bring my 4 dogs to exercise their kidneys at the market and walk them across wak from mcdonalds to dillons.

I hope you all enjoy the drainage and don't forget to thank Tom.

tomatogrower 4 years, 9 months ago

"Farmer's Markets are open-markets which are supposed to foster a sense of community and belonging. Now we will once again have a car-only commute to gather in Lawrence.How many college kids and Lawrencians are going to be able to walk to the farmer's market on a nice, sunny day, and gather and meet friends and talk, sit outside and talk, and stroll their babies and walk their dogs, and then walk home? No one."

Chill, the big market on Sat. is still downtown and still a community event. This summer come to the concerts. This month go to the Earth Day celebration. Go to all the parades. There is still a community in this town. Join your neighborhood association. Have a neighborhood party, many do in Lawrence, even some on the west side. I'm sorry that downtown Lawrence is getting too expensive for interesting stores, but there's still a few, and the restaurants are good.

headdoctor 4 years, 9 months ago

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

Finally that intersection will have some personality. At least a few hours it won't look like a bland, horrible shopping center that could be plopped down at 110th and Metcalf.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 9 months ago

Both sites are out of the way for me but I still plan on visiting this year. Now if they'd only move it to Tanger Outlet Mall. I know that would be out of the way for everyone else but it'd make me happy!

ascottmccauley 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh yes, so convenient to "finally have this come to the west side", because you all don't have enough grocery stores on that end of town. Think about all of the people on the North and East ends of town where the closest place to shop is the lame Dillon's on 19th and Mass. With all of the housing on the East end of town wouldn't it make sense for someone to finally put a decent grocery store out that way?

puddleglum 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope they don't have a bunch of stinky dogs at this one. The main reason I don't go to the farmer's market is because I don't like taking my children down there, exposing them to dirty peoples' dogs. Some dog owners are respectful and all that, but for the most part it is just gutter punks with dirty dogs trying to lick my children, while dirtballs ask for money: "hey man, spare change so I can feed my dog?" should be a law for those types: instant sterilization.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 9 months ago

And hey whiners, this will benefit the local economy, you know that whole buy local stuff. Also, some of you are making a lot of assumptions about folks on the west side. Maybe what you think you know you not know at all. I have never lived in a town where people held such silly views.

tanaumaga 4 years, 9 months ago

george braziller...thank you very much...too true....also , tomato grower, thank you..... there seems like there's a lot of people who like to complain on these pages and not enough people who actually put forth effort to make a difference in our community, whether we're talking about a farmers market or something else.

pizzapete 4 years, 9 months ago

I take that back, actually thats all good, I thought it was moving out of downtown all together. Nice to see it growing...

JustNoticed 4 years, 9 months ago

Katara 4 years, 9 months ago

JustNoticed (anonymous) says… Why even think about it as haves and haves not? Or even more provincially, East Lawrence vs. West Lawrence? What's good is that better food will get to more people. As a community we will improve our health and reduce our consumption of finite resources. That's good in many obvious ways. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Exactly!

I also think that moving the Tuesday market to the Tanger Mall would be an excellent opportunity for those in North Lawrence.

PennyBrite 4 years, 9 months ago

I see people bashing this idea. WHY? how can this be a bad thing? This is good for everyone in Lawrence no matter where you live. This is not an east /west issue. It will encourage more people to spend money LOCALLY and help the economy. It's a busy intersection which may encourage more people to stop and purchase. I'm excited and wished they would have expanded sooner. Yes, I am also all for expanding to the Tanger outlet parking lot as well. As I see it, the more people you can encourage to purchase LOCALLY and keep your money in Lawrence, the better for all!!!

IAwildrose 4 years, 9 months ago

Wendy magillicutty 4 years, 9 months ago

There is no "us" and "them"; only "we". How much more will you allow the ego to separate you from? The neighbors across the street? The spouse? Where will you stop drawing the line?

Also, FYI. thankfully there's some "haves" on all sides of town. If not-what are you doing to help that happen? Type negative comments on here?