Letters to the Editor

End-of-life choice

September 17, 2009

To the editor:

I am the 84-year-old person with congestive heart failure, for whom the plug will be pulled under the Democrats’ health care plan, according to Sarah Palin.

In my 50-some years of working with doctors in medical and mental health facilities, I have found that doctors view their professional duty as saving lives, and when they err, it is on the side of doing too much to maintain life.

End-of-life counseling is a wonderful thing. Giving thought to how one might want to end life should start when one is still young and the thought is not threatening. It may change as years go by, but at least it will be thought-out and people made aware of their options and consequences of their options. It gives people a sense of control over their lives and relieves the family of having to make decisions and prevents those terrible quarrels over those last-years’ decision-making.

Comments

rtwngr 4 years, 7 months ago

Excuse me, arch007. Technically you're right but literally the president can with signing statements. So argue semantics all you want because that's all you liberals know how to do. "It depends on what the meaning of is, is." Phhhhht!

Left_handed 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget that when G. W. Bush was president the Democrat party ran ads portraying that Bush and the Republicans were going to take Grandma's health care coverage away. Of course, that was civil and accurate, reflective of the sentiment of the masses, unlike the false, abusive astroturf missives penned by the vast right wing conspiracy.

doggymom 4 years, 7 months ago

Excellent article. As a new senior (just got my Medicare card last week) I realize how scare tactics and lies are being used to frighten senior citizens. One site that has informative facts versus myths is www.aarp.org. Rather than link to the general website, I've copied a little bit below. The website mentioned at the bottom is excellent.

"As Washington continues the debate over health care reform, AARP has chosen a side-yours.

We're fighting to guarantee that you'll never be denied coverage because of your health or age; To prevent anyone from coming between you and your doctor; To make sure your health care does not take a back seat to insurance companies And to make sure seniors and future generations have the health coverage they need when they retire. At AARP, we believe your health is worth fighting for.

Get the Facts

AARP members are asking important questions about how they would be affected by health reform. As the process moves forward, AARP will continue to provide information you need to decide for yourself about what health care reform means for you. You can count on this site for the most up to date about health care reform will impact older Americans, and where stands on important provisions.

If your questions aren't answered on this site, please feel welcome to contact us at 1-866-AARP-449 (1-866-227-7449). And if you want to join AARP's efforts to fix our health-care system, please visit healthactionnow.org."

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

If you are a right wing nutcase, facts are not necessary. Just believe what Rush, Beck and the others scream as facts, no matter how big the lies are.

arch007 4 years, 7 months ago

rtwngr,

learn your constitution...the president does not draft legislation

georgiahawk 4 years, 7 months ago

rtwngr, quit taking steroids, it's kind of making you crazy!

rtwngr 4 years, 7 months ago

President Obama is a liar. He stood up in front of a joint session of congress and said, "My healthcare plan will do this and my healthcare plan will do that." Then this genius writes a letter and says that "Obama's" health plan will do ...

Has anyone seen Obama's healthcare plan? So far I have seen a healthcare plan drafted by Pelosi and her fellow house democrats. I have seen a plan drafted by Sen. Baucus (D - MT). I have yet to see a plan drafted by Obama or his staff and presented before the Congress of the United States. He has no healthcare plan in spite of what he has said to the American public. It is high time we call this socialist/marxist for what he really is; a liberal to the core, bent on remaking the American landscape in the image he visualizes.

Alia Ahmed 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, Rogue. :~) I obviously didn't read this letter carefully enough before responding.

salad, I agree hospice services are very beneficial and respectful of the patient's wishes and definitely help families deal with not only physical aspects of caring for someone who is dying, but help with the process of saying goodbye. Those people who work for hospice agencies are truly angels among us.

salad 4 years, 7 months ago

I'd say 99% of US adults have no idea what hospice does, when to request hospice, what to do at the end of life. Hospice is amazing....just amazing, I can't say enough good things about them.* Who among us wants to expire in a hospital??? I wanna die at home or someplace meaningful to me; hospice makes this possible and will do the heavy lifting. End of life counseling is absolutely a good thing.

*We used Carondolet hospice in KC.

RogueThrill 4 years, 7 months ago

Not true and most reasonable know that “death panels” are not being proposed in any version of healthcare reform being proposed.

====================

That is what she is saying. In a round about way.

monkeyhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

"Please, let me specify when and how and in what circumstances I want my plug pulled. Obama’s health plan would do this."

You can do that right now without Obama's permission: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_will

Here is a free form: http://www.doyourownwill.com/flw.asp

I'm surprised Lynn doesn't already have one at her age.

Alia Ahmed 4 years, 7 months ago

Not true and most reasonable know that "death panels" are not being proposed in any version of healthcare reform being proposed.