One taken to Kansas City hospital after shooting incident

Two people suffer non-life-threatening gunshot wounds

Two people were shot early Saturday morning in the 900 block of Michigan Street. One victim was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital while the other was transported to a Kansas City hospital.

September 12, 2009, 4:23 a.m. Updated September 12, 2009, 6:02 a.m.

One taken to Kansas City hospital after shooting incident

A man who had been shot was transported early Saturday from Lawrence Memorial Hospital to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Enlarge video

Lawrence police were alerted to the shooting, which took place in the 900 block of Michigan street, by a 9-1-1 hangup call that was made about 2:16 a.m.

When police arrived, a witness told officers he thought someone had been shot.

Officers and detectives responded to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where two people had arrived in a private vehicle, after both suffered non-life threatening gunshot wounds.

According to a media release issued by Lawrence Police Capt. Paul Fellers, a 24-year-old man was treated and released at LMH, while the other victim, a 25-year-old man, was transferred to a Kansas City area hospital about 2:50 a.m. Saturday.

There was no further condition update available for the man, and details surrounding the situation were not available, police said, because the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Lawrence Police Department at 785-832-7509 or the CrimeStoppers hotline at 785-843-TIPS.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

greenworld 5 years, 8 months ago

God, this has to be one of the first times that I have read about a shooting where I didnt see the word AXIS-Last call or Crossroads in it.

bigdave 5 years, 8 months ago

It's bad when you wake up and think, I'm going to read the paper to see how meany got shot last night!!!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

greenworld (Anonymous) says…

---cheer up GW, there was a fight at Crosstown. I think 8-2-1 club was shut down.

there was a report of several shots fired elsewhere last night too.

see, not so bad after all!

platypus 5 years, 8 months ago

Funny that you are all in denial that the "perps" MUST be from out of town. That is pretty much the theme of these discussions for most crime stories. You are right, Lawrence is full of law abiding, up-standing citizens. HA HA!

nobody1793 5 years, 8 months ago

"Thank god their not that smart."

Uh....oh skip it.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

B-G I don't think Axis was closed. If you check the jail log, someone was arrested at 821 Iowa for battery on LEO and other charges. Plus, since the Judge gave them a 10 day grace period, I am sure they will use it.

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Club 821/Axis is still open...did anyone ever stop to think that the owners would just pay the damn fines...lol...come on Club 821/Axis is a money maker for the city's backwards ass politics. They will milk the owners and patrons by handing out massive fines and tickets...just watch and see!

AND EVERYONE PLEASE WAKE THE HELL UP!!! VIOLENCE IS HERE IN LAWRENCE, KANSAS...HAS BEEN FOR A WHILE NOW! INSTEAD OF BLAMING HIP HOP, RAP, THUGS, KC, AND TOPEKA MAYBE YOU ALL SHOULD TAKE TIME TO MESSAGE AND WRITE LETTERS TO YOUR LOCAL OFFICIALS AND URGE THEM TO TAKE NEEDED MEASURES AND ACTION TO REDUCE VIOLENCE IN LAWRENCE! I READ LJWORLD ALL DAY EVERYDAY AND CRIME IS HAPPENING ALL OVER THIS TOWN! FOR EXAMPLE LAST NIGHT'S SHOOTING AND THE SHOOTING A FEW WEEKS AGO AT THE MOBILE HOME PARK!

WAKE UP!

Tanner Stumbaugh 5 years, 8 months ago

being a flyonthewall, I was actually in the Emergency department, and not too big of a surprise, when the detectives were questioning the individuals, lips were extra tight, and it seemed, in my opinion, that no one wanted to tell all the details of why this happened. Its VERY pi$$ poor sad that thugs like these people think they are protecting themselves, when actually they are obstructing the possibility of justice being done. This, was at worst, most seriously, attempted murder and yet adults can't shoot a straight story if their lives depended on it. It made me sick to see the detectives want to put the bad guys in their place, but couldn't because three individuals had to be "hard" thugs and not tell the truth. Seriously... if this keeps going on, crime will continue to repeat itself. Grow up you stupid people. God knows if I got shot, I'd tell authorities everything I could to get the scum of the earth off the streets and in prison. Keep up the hard work, LPD... you guys are trying to make lemonade out of rotten lemons, and its tough!!! I tip my hat to you hard-working police officers and detectives!! Something's gotta give.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

more like borito king given location of shooting!

yeah, I love the atitude that the thug show ends at midnight, and the boys pull on their loafers, pull down their caps. fix their dickies and their suspenders, and when they're all presentable they head for home 15 minutes after the show ends!!! LMAO!

somebodynew (Anonymous) says…

---oh I thought what judge ordered was closure. I know closure was part of whatever the order was.

oh couple nights ago, parking lot of 8-2-1 club, had a fight involving 7 females [skanks].

darn, I guess SBN I was jumping the gun on 8-2-1 closing.

ifuonlyknew 5 years, 8 months ago

flyonthewall: are you serious? First of all you obviously do not know the men that were shot If you did you would know that they are not "hard" thugs as you would call them. You are only saying that because you were in the emergency room when it happened and they are black. And for you to know there lips were tight, you obviously were in there business and not taking care of your own issue. Also what you do not know, is that the police know who shot them and what happened. So you personal comments on these individuals were uncalled for.

Tanner Stumbaugh 5 years, 8 months ago

ifuonlyknew, Hey, man, I have nothing against the people because they were black; I am NO racist. I am glad that the police know who fired the shots, thats great!. The men did seem like fairly nice people and I'm sure they were. Now the person who was not shot, could not get her story straight, and I understand that it kept changing. When all is said and done, I'm truly glad that the two guys survived. Is there any word if the suspect/s have been apprehended? The bullet holes in the one patient were through and through, through both legs.... He's very lucky he made it to the hospital in time, because he could have easily bled out through four holes from one bullet. Lets just hope this activity doesn't persist to happen. Nobody deserves it. It would have been devastating if someone would have lost their life....

Steve Jacob 5 years, 8 months ago

Black on black crime is about the biggest problem in America, because nobody talks. If you can commit crimes, and no one turns you in, why stop?

FYI, saw the president of Smith and Wesson on CNBC Friday, he was asked why gun sales are so high this year. It was assumed it was because of Obama, but he said it because everyone is getting laid off, and that always leads to more crime, and people are defending themselves.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 8 months ago

KCMO_Jayhawk said "OMG! One track thinking people never cease to amaze me! The shooting could not have been connected to the Tech Nine Show at Granada because it was over at 12am and the shooting took place at 2:10am! "

There used to be "hip hop" late night parties at the Kansas (Burge) Union on campus, at the National Guard Armory, a a club behind McDonald's on 23 street, and other places. Now they're at Granada, 821 and other places. What do all these locations have in common? There was eventually someone shot at every single one of these venues, during a hip-hop party or concert.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the type of crowd that hip-hop attracts. I'm sure it's nothing more than coincidence......

yeah, right.

greenworld 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey ask Obama how to fix all the problems, he has all the answers.

Kryptenx 5 years, 8 months ago

Lmao, if only you posters knew, Tech N9ne is associated more with a white kid fanbase than hardcore thugs. Tech N9ne falls in somewhere around the Kottonmouth Kingz / ICP genres.

That said, enjoy: This is the moment for riders and thugs Strippers and body bag, zippers and violence and drugs Poverty, a bunch of minorities die in the clubs They say my music's making 'em lose it, I write it in blood This is my music for all my people missing my music Keep listening to it, ain’t like I said get a pistol and use it Satan shot my homie Maintain with a missile and blew it for the industry, cause he was one of the truest..

I don't know why they keep pumping it's something Maybe in the music when it be pumping it's crunk and it's hella haterific Throw your set up in the air is all the DJs really wanna play when it’s over it’s looking bloody and Satanistic Killas from everywhere listen to me when I be bussin s--t I’m turbulent, some get nervous when I wreck arenas Concert promoters in Honolulu don't wanna see me cause they say that Somoans will riot on Tecca Nina!

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Kryptenx....THANK YOU! These idiots have no clue!

And since when in the hell was Granada a hip hop club! LOL...Apparently not very many of these people get out! I have been to Granada on serveral occasions this year alone. Ummm...let's see a Reggae, MJ Tributre, D12, Cool Kids, A Peepshow, Devil Drive, and Peter Bjorn & John, and I will continue to visit their events!

I don't care what any one says just bc you are a certain race or you listen to a certain type of music does not make you violent!! I listen to hip hop music and I stand before you all as an African American Female with both a Bachelor's and Master's of Social Work and a fluent Spanish speaker. And let me tell you that I have never once shot or killed anyone!

In my opinion most of you commentng on this are just a big bunch of dumb asses!! Each of you just sit at your computers and type a bunch of inappropriate things. Things which you all would more than likely never have the balls to say to the individuals you talk about to their faces!!