Archive for Thursday, September 10, 2009

Retiree haven?

September 10, 2009

To the editor:

Whenever I read or hear what a wonderful town Lawrence is for retirees, I laugh. Lawrence is not even a walkable town — poorly maintained or, often, no sidewalks at all, pitch dark streets and, at least in the Deerfield neighborhood, roaming dogs.

Three times in the last two weeks, I have encountered unleashed, unattended dogs let out for the day by owners too lazy to walk them under control. Animal control has been wonderfully responsive but cannot patrol everywhere all the time. So now, even a therapeutic morning walk is not a safe option where I live. So much for retiree heaven!

Comments

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

Ms. Banks, I agree with your points regarding the poor condition or nonexistence of sidewalks!

every time you see a loose dog, phone: 832-7509 and report including dog description for animal control. if they increase enforcement in your neighborhood, after a week or so things will be much better.

I cannot understand the stupidity of people who turn their dogs loose like that! dogs get hit, get into poisonous trash, etc. if people love their dogs, walk them. besides, that's better for the people too!

walk the dog, relax, look at the neighborhood. let the dog know it is loved and cared for.
when I walk my dog [daily[ the saddest sound I sometimes hear is the whining of a lonely dog behind a backyard fence, the dog sees us walking.

HogJiver 5 years, 3 months ago

Retiree haven for the rich and famous.
People who can afford a dog walker.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes there are tons of sidewalks that need attention throughout Lawrence. The brick sidewalk on the southeast corner of 11th & New Jersey should be the model for city enforcement. What city enforcement?

People do not make sure their fences contain their dogs. Of course they want out because the masters rarely walk them.

If they break out neighbors must be careful. Everyone believes their dogs would not hurt a soul however that is not true.

Also when you read about what a great town Lawrence is for the retired remember that's a gimmick for selling the many many many empty residential locations in Lawrence. If retired folks want to live on a fixed income Lawrence may not be the place.

The question becomes will the city enforce whatever sidewalk ordinances are on the books? I doubt it.

honestone 5 years, 3 months ago

Cats too. Who hasn't walked out to their car in the morning and found those wonderful little paw prints across the hood. Why do people believe that it is OK to let your cat loose to dig through the neighborhood's trash and wander the properties. Leash laws for cats too.

Kat Christian 5 years, 3 months ago

Well where I live certainly isn't a place to go for a walk, even though I live on a secluded street, people use as a shortcut and often travel too face down it. There are no sidewalks so walking my dog is difficult when you have to walk on hilly banks near a busy street, I don't like having to drive somewhere to go for a walk either. So I gave up walking.

5 years, 3 months ago

An alternative to windex is a 1:1 ratio of water and white vinegar.

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

loose dogs? here's an easy fix, I call it the pooch-ventilator aka: Taurus Judge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_J...

countrygirl 5 years, 3 months ago

Anything with ammonia in it will take care of the dog bothering you. We had to dose the trash can down to keep the dogs out of it. People--not everybody thinks your pooch is as precious as you do. If you love your dog--keep it at home. If I wanted dog crap in my yard I'd have my own dog.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

countrygirl, I sprayed my garbage can with ammonia and it was the only intact can on the whole street. The dogs owner was furious at me because she said I hurt his nose and he was just behaving like a natural dog. Sorry, I have never saw the attraction in walking but then I have a cat, not a dog. Perhaps this is just one of the fundamental differences between cat people and dog people, eh?

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

I NEVER see dogs running loose in this town.

countrygirl 5 years, 3 months ago

Irish--I'd have told that dog owner to keep their dog out of my trash and they won't have a problem. Natural dog or not, he doesn't belong on my property and there are leash laws. There are folks who would shoot a dog running loose. I wouldn't use anything bigger than a pellet gun, but that's enough to get the point across. Sad thing is that I love dogs. It's the owners I have issue with.

fuel_for_the_fire 5 years, 3 months ago

puddleglum - please don't encourage her.

Not everyone can detect sarcasm on these discussion boards.

Soup2Nuts 5 years, 3 months ago

Is Be3 the former B3 that used to haunt these forums?

Kat Christian 5 years, 3 months ago

and young people stink most of the time. But that's not the point here is it? I have a 60 lb. dog and when I walk him I use a really convenient leash for large dogs. It has a loop (handle) near his collar then the rest of the leash extends out with another loop (handle). I find this helps to keep large dogs in check when there is another dog present (or a person who isn't showing interest) and it becomes excited. This way you grasp the lower handle and have more control over the dog. Use it to prevent the dog from doing its business in another persons yard, etc. I see too many times people walking large dogs on this shoestring leashes. It terrifies me that they won't be able to handle it. People needs to be smarter pet owners. In more ways than one.