Letters to the Editor

Jenkins misstep

September 2, 2009

To the editor:

Sorry, Rep. Jenkins. Your apology may have been sincere, but it is not enough. Pairing the apology with claimed ignorance regarding the meaning of the phrase “Great White Hope” renders your white light excuse suspect. Were you indeed unaware of the implications of your slur, then you need to educate yourself about the culture in which we live.

It is unacceptable in this time of fear, anger and violence to casually use language that not only offends, but perpetuates the divisions and hate-mongering which permeate our society. If your thinking and your speech harbor the casual use of such phrases, then you are participating in the continuation and intensification of our cultural racial wounds.

You are in a position of leadership, trust and responsibility. It is imperative that our leaders be healers and always positive role models, rather than dividers.

Comments

overthemoon 5 years, 10 months ago

Very well said Ms. Palmer.

Ms. Jenkins believes that it is her job to push for what she wants to see happen. She should be bringing us information that presents the whole picture truthfully and then let us tell her what we think. By using push-poll type surveys, she gets the responses that support her opinions.

She is not interested in listening to her constituents and is clearly not doing her homework. Today's meeting in Lawrence was just another mess...she should have the dignity, respect and gravitas demanded of one in her position, not the snarkiness she displayed in her disparagement of the Speaker of the House.

yankeelady 5 years, 10 months ago

True--this was not a campaign event. She was elected to represent all of the 2nd district. Even the people who did not vote for her. It seems like she is still on the campaign trail and playing partisan politics. What a disappointment.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Why, didn't you just do that? Thanks for covering that base for us, surprising as your support is.

monkeyhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Though Jenkins is just a "typical white person", where was your criticism over the repeated claims by a latina woman proclaiming her judgment to be better than a white guy? Your selective outrage is showing.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

"Your apology may have been sincere, but it is not enough."

Then what is? Need some blood.....a pound of flesh? Or must it be resignation for poorly chosen words?

"...renders your white light excuse suspect."

What the heck does that mean?

"Were you indeed unaware of the implications of your slur, then you need to educate yourself about the culture in which we live."

First of all, whom exactly did she 'slur'? And could you be a wee more provincial, "educate yourself about the culture blah blah..."?? Swell, Babs, that's insightful advice.

"It is unacceptable in this time of fear, anger and violence to casually use language that not only offends,"

In this time? Fear, anger, and violence are somehow worse than ever........and casual language is what we need to look out for? Have I said 'swell', yet?

"It is imperative that our leaders be healers and always positive role models..."

Xanadu is three blocks down, a left, a quick right, and then about 10 miles after you reach the edge of Earth.

I've already opined on this Rep.'s blunder, pretty dumb all the way around. But this LTE from the Holier Than Thou Society is an offense to sensibility.

texburgh 5 years, 10 months ago

It should be noted that Jenkins did not actually apologize for the remark - I believe the statement was: "IF I offended someone, then of course I apologize." This is a conditional apology - no apology at all. It is the height of arrogance.

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

They showed Jenkins on msmbc last night responding to a young lady about heath care. She was very rude to this young lady. yeah again for Kansas. Making fools of us.

Rex Russell 5 years, 10 months ago

Mrs. Jenkins needs to remember she represents the 2nd district and the people of Kansas that live in it. Not a political party. She is more than than obvious and getting to be an embarrassment. She is without a doubt going to be a one-hit-wonder in Washington. What makes this even worse is now she me jonesing for the "good ol' days" with Boyda. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. She defines "buyers remorse". Don't unpack your bags in Washington and sell your house in Topeka, Lynn.

NoSpin 5 years, 10 months ago

So I guess VP Biden should not have been mocking convenience store clerks. Did not seem to affect his career. They are all wrong if making racial comments. ALL, not just Republicans.

Jimo 5 years, 10 months ago

If a reasonably strong Democrat runs, Jenkins won't be re-elected. She's been quite disappointing in general (not that Boyda proved much better). That said, I can only think of a few strong Democrats in the district and I doubt their interest in running.

think_about_it 5 years, 10 months ago

That's right Rex, all of the people of the 2nd district. Not just the looney lawrence lefties. That is what she is doing.

Like it or not, the majority of voters elected her to do exactly what she is doing. Where have I heard that before?

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 10 months ago

Sounded alright to me. I knew it wasn't a racial slur. Some people are too sensitive. I have gained weight since I retired. If someone called me fat, I wouldn't get all pissed off and make a big thing about it, because I am fat. I know enough about Lynn to know she did not mean it to offend anyone, that is why she explained it. Thank you, Lynn

weeslicket 5 years, 10 months ago

well, ultimately, isn't lynn jenkins correct? the republican party is seeking a great white hope. ??

igby 5 years, 10 months ago

In 1909, the word "Gay" had a different meaning, looking back to what was the "gay '90's rag-time music era".

It's really too bad Jenkin's could not of used this in her speech as well; in referencing the song and dance of the Obamatrons. Then the Dems would really have something to whine about.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 10 months ago

I wasn't offended at all about what she said.

Where is the outrage?

Get a life people!

blackwalnut 5 years, 10 months ago

Republicans in public office and on the air waves have been issuing racist statements and also hints that it is ok to commit violence against the President.

That is how low the Republicans have taken this country.

Increasingly they are using women to deliver their misinformation and racist, violent ideas. Palin, Bachmann, Betsy M., now Jenkins.

Jimo 5 years, 10 months ago

"And dead solid perfect on every point."

And cheered on about growing up and supporting herself by the Geritol-set sucking at the teat of the taxpayer!

I'll cut off the poor from government assistance when Jenkins votes to cut off the rich from government assistance ! Last I checked the taxpayers of this country at out several TRILLION in the last year to fund Wall Street Republicans (and yet there isn't a single Wall Street Republican living in Jenkins' district -- just some bribing her with election funds).

puddleglum 5 years, 10 months ago

don't worry Jimo, the best thing about this whole republican party is that they are all old people with irrelevent ideas, dying off at a pretty good rate, so we won't have to pay for them-or pay attention to them much longer. All of the good ideas are coming from younger people, so we will take back the congress and the white house soon enough.....oh wait, we already did! yeah!

rtwngr 5 years, 10 months ago

I was curious how long it would take those of you on the left to play the "racism" card when someone has the audacity to disagree with Pres. Obama. This man is clearly in over his head and has not the first clue as to what he should do next. His minions are running the show while his speech writers draft his teleprompter address to the nation's youth.

"Nero fiddled while Rome burned."

parrothead8 5 years, 10 months ago

"sunny (Anonymous) says… I wasn't offended at all about what she said. I was however offended that OBAMY said he bowls like the stupid kids in the special olympics. Where is the outrage? Republicans cannot, from here on out, mention the 'black' word, or the 'white' word. Get a life people!"

Well, sunny, if you remember, people WERE outraged when Obama said that. You want to know the difference between the statements by Obama and Jenkins? Before Obama's statement even hit the airwaves, he was on the phone to the Director of the Special Olympics apologizing for saying what he said, saying that it was wrong and that he shouldn't have said it, and offering to help make it right. Lynn Jenkins waited until people were outraged, then said that oops, I didn't know that was wrong, and IF I offended anybody then I apologize. Offering a conditional apology when she already knows people are upset is lame.

By the way, sunny, I think some people would be offended by YOU calling Special Olympics participants "stupid."

Rex Russell 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't care if she's a Republican or a Democrat. As a matter of fact, I don't care if anyone in Congress is either. We'd be better off anyway. When someone is obviously working for a party's success and their own personal success instead of for the common good of all of the people who elected them, that's the sign of a bad representitive. Ms. Jenkinks defines that. Her personal skills leave something to be desired in addition.