Letters to the Editor

Just boo it

October 28, 2009

To the editor:

The reputation of the University of Kansas has been hijacked during our home football games because the same vulgar, inappropriate phrase continues to sound loudly from the student section during kickoffs. While Kansas supporters should be feeling great pride in a growing football program, instead we allow relatively few obscene voices to echo loudly throughout the stadium, and into homes via TV and radio.

Families should be enjoying beautiful fall weather at the stadium, but we must stay away because of what our children will hear. We should be enjoying the banter with fans of Kansas State, Missouri and others about our academic and athletic superiority, but instead must listen to them chide us for our slip into classlessness with the tasteless chant.

Let’s not sit idly by while others stain the reputation of the school we love.

What am I asking the masses to do? Boo! I am not a fan of booing, particularly not of one’s own. However, in this case, I believe the best thing we can do is to let the voice of the masses be heard. Every time the inappropriate phrase is uttered, boo it loudly and passionately. Administrators, put it on the scoreboard! Booooooo!! Print shirts that say, “JUST BOO IT!” When TV and radio audiences hear 45,000 people booing the actions of 3,000, they will know what Kansas fans stand for and what we cannot stand.

Comments

Jason Bailey 4 years, 5 months ago

Larry: G_E is a student...one of the self-indulgent, "it's-all-about-me" 18 y/os that comprise today's generation of snotnosed young adults.

When I read his statement, which was basically a direct insult to me and my 9 y/o son and flipping me the bird via words, I just shook my head. It's idiots like G_E that give the university a bad name.

Larry 4 years, 5 months ago

G_E says....."Now, for those complaining about foul language…well, sorry to say this, but deal with it. People (myself included) get really worked up about football, and the last thing I'm thinking about it some 9-year-old kid hearing the f-bomb - which, by the way, they've heard a billion times before. If you believe otherwise, you're incredibly naive. If it's a huge problem, don't sit near the student section; we don't like having kids near us anyway." What an incredibly selfish statement! This issue isn't about who is naive or whether or not people should have to "deal with it".. It is about a society that has become so individualized that all we think about is ourselves. No way could you possibly have young children or you would never make such a ridiculous statement. God willing, someday you will have children and you will understand for the first time in your life that the world doesn't revolve around you!

witchfindergeneral 4 years, 5 months ago

manONmoon says... " And it does not take brains to graduate from KU, I know plenty of examples…"

Wrong. It does not take brains to make such a ridiculous statement, however.

Tell me, manONmoon, what prestigious university did you attend, and in what ways is it superior to KU?

True, Kansas is not Harvard, but it is by far the best college in the state.

autie 4 years, 5 months ago

You can do it!! Forget about it. It will have to die a slow death and there is nothing anybody can do about it. It will get old and the kids will move on to something else in, oh say,...ten or twenty years.

manONmoon 4 years, 5 months ago

They need to sell beer at games so the students don't get tired and want to leave...

G_E 4 years, 5 months ago

As a current KU student, I hate the chant - but unfortunately, the more people try to stop it, the louder the select idiots yell. I'm just hoping that it'll die over time.

Now, for those complaining about foul language...well, sorry to say this, but deal with it. People (myself included) get really worked up about football, and the last thing I'm thinking about it some 9-year-old kid hearing the f-bomb - which, by the way, they've heard a billion times before. If you believe otherwise, you're incredibly naive. If it's a huge problem, don't sit near the student section; we don't like having kids near us anyway.

And to the people suggesting Athletics sell student tickets to rich alumni - seriously? That's just what we need, more sections filled with fans who don't stand and cheer. Sure, the student section has its issues - the chant and leaving at halftime especially - but one can't deny we have spirit.

manONmoon 4 years, 5 months ago

KU being a classy school is only in the minds of those who attended KU and want to think they attended a prestigious school. No one else around the country thinks that. And it does not take brains to graduate from KU, I know plenty of examples...

BigPrune 4 years, 5 months ago

KU needs to sell the student tickets to rich alumni. There won't be the cussing in unison, there won't be the empty seats at half time, and the successful people who attended KU get rewarded to enjoy the team since they most likely never experienced a decent KU football team when they attended KU.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps the students' use of foul language is simply them trying to be more like Coaches Mangino and Wedd.

1029 4 years, 5 months ago

"We should be enjoying the banter with fans of Kansas State, Missouri and others about our academic and athletic superiority...."

What? Who engages in bantering with k-state and mu fans? If any of those hillbillies ever came up to me and tried to "debate" about academic and athletic superiority, I wouldn't think twice about giving them the old fork in the eye.

It's a war out there. The students are just trying fire up up the kickoff coverage team!

witchfindergeneral 4 years, 5 months ago

manONmoon says... "When did the University of Kansas get the reputation as a classy school?"

Is winning a national championship in debating not classy? How about developing the art of collegiate basketball coaching (Phog Allen)?

"It takes zero brains (2.0 HS GPA) to get accepted into KU. And you wonder why stuff like this happens."

It does take brains, however, to stay at KU. Everyone knows why this happens at football games--alcohol.

While I don't agree with Mr. Mellenbruch's proposed campaign for stopping the kickoff chant, I too wish my fellow students would give up this foolish "tradition."

manONmoon 4 years, 5 months ago

When did the University of Kansas get the reputation as a classy school? Oh I know... never! After all we are a state school in Kansas, very classy... It takes zero brains (2.0 HS GPA) to get accepted into KU. And you wonder why stuff like this happens.

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 5 months ago

I find it more than a little ironic that the generation that grew up through the sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll era are now telling young people to suppress all their inhibitions and be good little followers, especially in a place like Lawrence that historically is more liberal than most.

Larry 4 years, 5 months ago

Plain and simple....this is a great embarrassment to Kansas University and should be to Kansans as a whole. If my children were younger, I would quite possibly choose to not renew my season tickets over this issue. It's truly disheartening when we have people who believe that "this is a college campus with tons of young wild thinkers who are looking to express themselves and rebel. Don't stifle their opportunities." Heck...why stop there.. How about we get our students to spit on the other team? That would be a non-verbal form of rebellion and expression. Maybe we should have the students say "F$%$ off every time the officials blow a call. It would express their true, wild thinking feelings. Give me a break! STOP IT KU STUDENTS......YOUR NOT FUNNY AND YOU LOOK AND SOUND LIKE IDIOTS. To continue this chant only reaffirms the opinions that KSU and MU fans share about KU. WE'RE BETTER THAN THAT!

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

If foul-mouthed chants are their way of expressing themselves, they don't have much to say, imho.

cheeseburger 4 years, 5 months ago

"This is a college campus with tons of young wild thinkers who are looking to express themselves and rebel. Don't stifle their opportunities"

Prime recruiting grounds for more of your lefty liberals, eh Richard?

Tony Kisner 4 years, 5 months ago

College students should be banned from attending college football games. They even have cheaper tickets just for students who attend KU, how fair is that? Boo.

lawrencelifer 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow . . . "making mountains out of mole hills" . . . . just wow.

Sure, some young people use language, and do things that are inappropriate. But it used to be that young people used some good sense regarding when and where that did or said things that would be offensive. There was a different set of behavior in front of grandma, or when young kids are around, and a different set of behavior when hanging out with friends in a more private/exclusive setting. Some will say that this is just being two-faced. Perhaps a little. But really its about being respectful of people around you. Now days, some people just say what they want to say whenever they want to say it. It just amazes me how far expectations have dropped . . . If people just want to accept the situation as it is, maybe we are the classless people that K-State, MU, and other fans say we are when they hear this chant.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 5 months ago

The louder the boo the louder the chant will become.

Do children really care? Most children probably don't care,don't know and the louder the stink over it the more the children will come to realize what is going on. The parents will become the bad guys and their children will begin counting the days when they can move out and piss off the parents at football games. Parents will be looked upon as prudes.

This is a college campus with tons of young wild thinkers who are looking to express themselves and rebel. Don't stifle their opportunities.

Making mountains out of mole hills.

ryanc 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't think you're wrong in condemning the chant. Futile, perhaps, but not wrong. However, I think that punkrockmom got it right in saying that it's not going to be clear what we're booing... If anything it's going to look like we're booing KU.

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 5 months ago

The music they play now kind of drowns it out, but you can still hear the chant, especially in the Family Zone. I take my 5 and 7 year old boys to the games, and when they ask me what they're chanting, I've had to tell them that "it's just not nice language." But honestly, it isn't any worse then some of the nonsense that goes on in the family zone.

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

whenever my kids hear cussing, they always say they hear worse at school.

Jason Bailey 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't hear the chant any longer since they tend to play the music over the soundsystem until the other team fields the ball after kickoff. What does bother me, however, is the classless language that those around me use when Reesing throws an INT or Briscoe drops the ball while wide-open at the 20 heading into the endzone. The blue streak tirades that my 9-y/o son was subjected to last weekend made me leave at the start of the 4th Qtr. It was ridiculous -- and not from one person...a half dozen around me, not in the same group, were cussing like mad.

I expect this at a Chiefs game, and that is one reason I don't attend Chiefs games, but it's a sad statement on how far our society has devolved when it happens as frequently as the word "the" in sentences at a college game.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure why you think KU has/should have class.

I can't recall anything done by the university or the student population that would make me think it's a classy institution.

cheeseburger 4 years, 5 months ago

I remember Lew got pretty worked up over the recent infighting among the athletes (rightly so), and hope that he will get equally worked up over this continuing embarrassment to the university. This is KU, and we are supposed to have more class than that, and if the students don't get it, then perhaps they should be encouraged to leave.

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

I hate the chant and didn't hear it in person when i went to the game, but I hear portions of it on TV. Don't let that keep you from going to the games.
Students are going to keeping doing what you don't want them to do, until you hit them where it hurts. Take names, issue fines, or suspend grades.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 5 months ago

I heard the chant over the TV last weekend. No class in my opinion but we are talking about college students, you know America's best and brightest.

Nikki May 4 years, 5 months ago

So, this action is happening at kick offs each and every time? That's an interesting theory. However, it's going to seem like we are booing the fact that we got a kick off. We WANT to kick off