Archive for Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Smoother’ swine flu clinic serves 1,300

Lawrence resident Molly Kuzinski steadies her 4-year-old son, Devon, as Nora Murphy administers a nasal mist version of the H1N1 vaccination during a Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department community clinic on Oct. 28 at the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, 21st and Harper streets. The health department's upcoming clinics will be open to any Douglas County resident; there no longer will be priority groups.

October 28, 2009, 1:51 p.m. Updated October 29, 2009, 12:40 a.m.

Douglas County H1N1 updates

Swine Flu Pandemic

An outbreak of H1N1 Swine Flu was reported in Mexico in April 2009. By the end of May, it had spread across the U.S., with all 50 states reporting cases.

Residents line up for last scheduled H1N1 clinic

Area residents were out in force Wednesday for a chance to receive one of the few remaining H1N1 vaccines. Health officials canceled the rest of the planned clinics because of low supplies of the vaccine. Enlarge video

The Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department’s second H1N1 immunization clinic on Wednesday afternoon was described by volunteers as “smoother, faster, less stressful and quieter” than the first one held a week earlier.

“We learned some lessons and made some adjustments,” said Lisa Horn, spokeswoman.

The department had 16 people giving vaccinations — twice as many as the week before — and added 23 more volunteers. It also gave the vaccine to a more limited segment of the “priority group” population.

“You don’t feel as pressured to hurry, hurry, hurry,” said Catherine Bird, a registered nurse who gave vaccinations at both clinics. “You get to chat with the kids a little bit and not have 15 people looking at you — ‘like hurry up.’ People are calmer, in a better mood and aren’t as frustrated.”

About 200 people had lined up to receive the vaccination when the clinic opened at 2 p.m. at the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, but by 4:30 p.m. there was no line. From 4:30 p.m. until the clinic closed at 6 p.m., people just trickled in.

“We obviously could have seen more people,” Director Dan Partridge said. “I would rather have had the vaccine in somebody’s arm.”

It’s a guessing game in determining how many people will attend the vaccination clinics, and so far, Partridge said he hasn’t had much luck. Last week, the department had to turn away people at 5 p.m. because of the long line.

“You just never know what to expect,” he said.

Horn said about 1,300 doses were provided Wednesday, which would be 200 less than the previous week.

Lawrence resident Jenny Hohman decided to take her son Jonas, 1, and daughter Jaylie, 3, to the clinic after hearing from friends who have children suffering from swine flu.

“They said that they wish they could have gotten the shot, and they would have stood in line for a couple of hours if that would have prevented them from what they are dealing with right now,” she said. “We decided it would be a benefit for our kids.”

Partridge said tentative plans call for H1N1 immunization clinics in Eudora and Baldwin City next week. The department plans to release more details today.

Comments

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 5 months ago

Lots, probably.

I think it's kind of funny/ ironic that there's been so much propaganda trying to get people to get the vaccine, but now I couldn't get one even if I did want to.

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

Well its definately mostly those who don't have jobs and can be available to wait in line at that hour. So all the vaccine will be used up by the time the hardworking class have the opportunity to get in line it will be gone. Does anybody see something wrong with this picture? I, of course fall in the cracks, most likely if I get I'll die because of my age, but I want my grandson protected. They should have allowed the school to give it so the kids would be covered first. Instead of the freeloading non-working class.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Time to increase intake of veggies and fruits galore. Plus vitamin C and whole food multi-vitamins.

Oh yes no more parties and sharing smokes. Go to bed.

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 5 months ago

Probably not as many as last week due to the more specific condensed groups of people with "high risk" conditions that they weren't verifying. Pregnant women and children should definitely be at the first of the line. I'm really glad Karrey is twittering from there because I don't want to waste my time waiting to get kids vaccinated and also exposing them to all of the other viruses hanging out right now if it's going to be a lengthy wait.

I'm concerned, but certainly not that concerned. It's kind of like the great flu shortage of 2005 when 90-year olds were camping out in sub-freezing temperatures waiting to get their shots. Two months later, there was such an abundance that health officials couldn't give the shots away.

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 5 months ago

Sunshine, I don't know how old you are, but since you say you have a grandson I'm assuming you're not under age 25. People under 25 and pregnant women are at highest risk from H1N1. The older you are, the less risk, unless you're also otherwise unhealthy. You might want to get the basic facts before you complain.

Keith 5 years, 5 months ago

"sunshine_noise (Anonymous) says… Well its definately mostly those who don't have jobs and can be available to wait in line at that hour."

There's 24 hours in a day you know, not everyone works the day shift.

gphawk89 5 years, 5 months ago

frank mcguinness 5 years, 5 months ago

In my best South Park/Michael Jackson Voice.

Thats Ignorant.

I can't believe all these people are lemmings. The sky is falling go get yer shots.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Did all your cousins show up at once, autie?

kmat 5 years, 5 months ago

Keith (Anonymous) says…

“sunshine_noise (Anonymous) says… Well its definately mostly those who don't have jobs and can be available to wait in line at that hour.”

There's 24 hours in a day you know, not everyone works the day shift.

And many people have personal time and vacation time from their work. I'm taking Friday off. I'd better not so people like you don't accuse me of not being a part of the "hardworking class".

diff_of_opinion 5 years, 5 months ago

dulcinea47, maybe you should check out the CDC website for the facts! "The percentage of deaths for 2009 H1N1 flu in the United States varies by age group. From August 30, 2009 through October 10, 2009, states reported 292 laboratory-confirmed 2009 H1N1 deaths to CDC. The percentage of 2009 H1N1 related deaths that occurred among people 0 years to 4 years was 3%; among those 5 years to 18 years was 14%; among people 19 to 24 years was 7%; among people 25 to 49 years was 33%; among people 50-64 years was 32%; and among people 65 years and older was 12%." If I were in the 25-64 age range, which I am...I would freak out a little too about not being able to get the vaccine considering this is the largest percentage of people dying from it!

greenme 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess when it comes to my 2 month old and my 2 year old, maybe I am overly cautious. That's why I took off from work early and waited in line for an hour with a busy 2 year old.

If being cautious and concerned about my kids' health makes me a lazy idiot, well, call me George Bush.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Health Care Realities

“private markets for health insurance, left to their own devices, work very badly: insurers deny as many claims as possible, and they also try to avoid covering people who are likely to need care.

Horror stories are legion: the insurance company that refused to pay for urgently needed cancer surgery because of questions about the patient’s acne treatment; the healthy young woman denied coverage because she briefly saw a psychologist after breaking up with her boyfriend.”

It’s a funny story — but it illustrates the extent to which health reform must climb a wall of misinformation. It’s not just that many Americans don’t understand what President Obama is proposing; many people don’t understand the way American health care works right now.

They don’t understand, in particular, that getting the government involved in health care wouldn’t be a radical step: the government is already deeply involved, even in private insurance.

And that government involvement is the only reason our system works at all.

guesswho 5 years, 5 months ago

d*** vaccines. dont do nobody no good - all a lie - no such thing as polio, tetnus, whooping cough that we need them thair shots fur...........all these experts on this board are right and kno mor then them thair speshulists....

diff_of_opinion 5 years, 5 months ago

Let me clarify that I am not defending anything else that sunshine_noise said in that comment!

Steve Jacob 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't want one at this time. I thought the The California Nurses Association and the National Nurses Organizing Committee said it best...

"the vaccine is not as effective as other mandated vaccines; there are equally effective alternatives, for example, wearing face masks and washing their hands; the vaccine was not sufficiently tested and may be unsafe; and H1N1 flu is not sufficiently dangerous to warrant a mandate."

They did not say don't get the shot, but respect the reasons why some nurses don't get it.

bankboy119 5 years, 5 months ago

greenme,

I won't say lazy....and at this point not idiot....but maybe misinformed along with everybody else waiting in line to get this ridiculous vaccine.

Please ask your doctors if they, not their employees, but themselves get the vaccine. The majority that I know do not. And there's a reason. Of course they are going to sell them to you because you've been scared into getting them and the doctors are making money by giving them out. Yes, this is at a clinic but the drug companies are making great money off of making this snake oil er...vaccine as well.

I'm not saying all vaccinations/immunizations are bad, but flu shots are plain ridiculous.

kmat 5 years, 5 months ago

bankboy - I've talked to my dr. My husband goes to a different dr and he's talked to him. Both get the flu shots and say to do the same. I used to always get sick. Started getting the flu shot 9 years ago and haven't ever gotten it again. I watch people at my work get the flu. I've never gotten it from them.

Flu shots aren't plain ridiculous. I don't know about the piggy flu shot, but the regular flu shot does work. I'm walking proof of it.

walkthehawk 5 years, 5 months ago

we just got back from there, and it was indeed a huge line at the beginning. however, there were quite a few empty parking spaces as we left, and the line has shortened and is moving pretty fast (though it is still long). we waited about 90 minutes in total; I would guess it's more like 60 now.

and as for the dig on the population getting vaccinated, it appeared to be almost exclusively families with young children--many, like us, with both parents there to help with toddler "crowd control." my husband and I BOTH work--I used flex time to work around the clinic, which was after all announced weeks ago--and my husband took some personal time. those benefits are available to most of us in the working class, so spare the attacks/whining if you can't be bothered to organize your time and get down there.

the homeless/jobless are easy targets right now, but I frankly doubt that many of them have as much time as you do to waste on this message board. Demanding that everything work around YOUR schedule because YOU have to work is exactly the sort of entitlement attitude that you decry in everyone else. grow up.

supernik 5 years, 5 months ago

kmat - those were canceled from my understanding (swear i read it on here last week)

merrill - i have to agree with you - just bump up the things that make you strong enough to fight infection - its what the kids and i do, sept we do it all year long..

hipper_than_hip 5 years, 5 months ago

The CDC wants you to vaccinate your kids aged 6 months to 18 years, but the president says his kids aren't eligible to get the shot.

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 5 months ago

gphawk89 (Anonymous) says…

"Long lines. Long waits. People being turned away. A sneak preview of government-run healthcare. Get used to it."

someone's been watching the 700 club...

KATHYLOBB1956 5 years, 5 months ago

ithink that h1 and n1 is awayto get more money out of the people that don't have that kind of money

beawolf 5 years, 5 months ago

gphawk89 (Anonymous) says…

Only an idiot would compare a potential pandemic health situation with everyday health care.

Susan Mangan 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, Sunshine seems to be blowing a lot of it somewhere. I was there and I work...nights in an ICU. I worked last night, as a matter of fact. And I've already had my vaccine through work. But I have had patients, otherwise healthy (contrary to the media reports), between 30 and 40 die from this virus. Please...by all means...don't get the vaccine. You're too old to need it. But, if you DO get sick...remember to thank the healthcare worker treating your sorry a$$ after insulting them for giving up sleep to protect their kids. Pathetic.

Kynsicat 5 years, 5 months ago

I got my daughter's H1N1 vaccination at her Dr. office today. No appt. needed, no wait...in and out within 1/2 hour.

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 5 months ago

diff_of_opinion- less than 300 deaths, total, for the whole US in the statistics you cite. So for the 25-65 age group, that means less than 100 people in the whole of the US have died. Oh yes, I'm shaking in my boots for lack of vaccine.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Fighting infection is a 24/7 experience. If one is around a lot of folks at parties, work,school etc etc yes it would be a good idea to beef up the immune system everyday.

A Vaccination is no guarantee ..... in fact a tiny percentage may in fact be struck down with the infection as result of the vaccination.

Get on with those antioxidants etc etc.

shleppy 5 years, 5 months ago

I got the vac. today. call me a lemming, misinformed, a jerk, whatever. if it keeps my five month old baby healthy I don't care what you people say.

gr 5 years, 5 months ago

Low supply. High demand. Dream come true. $ $

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 5 months ago

hipper_than_hip (Anonymous) says…

onehotmomma 5 years, 5 months ago

Actually, the news reported today that the Obama girls were vaccinated last week. The President and First Lady will be vaccinated following the high risk population.

frank mcguinness 5 years, 5 months ago

Anybody who actually got the shot has lost it. We as Americans have had the answer to all of our illnesses for many many years..

perryproud 5 years, 5 months ago

walked in today at 420 and walked out at 435. Smooth sailing!

del888 5 years, 5 months ago

Is there any chance that a clinic will be held when the working class can actually go? You know - in the evening, weekend, etc.

frank mcguinness 5 years, 5 months ago

Folks Geez enough about the shots.

Go get some robitussin, Campbells chicken noodle soup, sprite and saltine crackers.

More people probably die from bunyons than this swine flu.

LoveThsLife 5 years, 5 months ago

Some of these comments made me angry. I stood in line from 12:30pm to 2pm to make sure my 9 month old got the vaccine. I am neither a free loader, nor am I uninformed. I am a stay at home mother who is doing her best to raise her family while her husband does his best to provide for our family. We are law abiding, educated, family oriented, tax paying citizens. I know of parents who re-arranged their work schedules so that their kids could be vaccinated. In addition, the swine flu is serious. This strain of flu virus is able to penetrate deeper into the lung tissue and cause viral pneumonia in otherwise healthy individuals, in particular children. I felt it very important to get my 9 month old vaccinated because his immune system is still immature, I would feel terrible if he had to be hospitalized because he was seriously ill, knowing I could have prevented it by getting him vaccinated.

frank mcguinness 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, lovethislife...

If your at home and so is your kid then he/she is probably not very likely to get the swine flu.

Furthermore getting a quickly researched and produced vaccine may prove to offer issues in the future that the short term testing didn't show now and comes out in the future.

You probably follow the recommended vaccine schedule and have already given your kid 7+ vaccines already.

Awesome... Gotta watch out for that polio.....

No wonder so many kids are autistic.

BTW. I'm a parent and I practice what I preach.

p.s. No major illnesses and as they(kids) get older 5+ the likelihood of autism spectrum disorders drops off dramatically so they can now get vaccinated without worries.

p.s.s. Getting the vaccine does not guarantee he/she will not get sick anyway.

ferretpop 5 years, 5 months ago

Swine Flu Vaccine: Know the facts!

National Vaccine Center

www.nvic.org

Also: www.swineflu.mercola.com

Get the Shot? Avoid the Shot? At least get informed.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 5 months ago

I want to know who decided to have it at the 4-H on a wedensday when the school gets out at 1:30. Harper st. was a mess with cars and kids from the flu shot people and school people.

ldawg 5 years, 5 months ago

Walked in at 5:25 and was done at 5:30. I extend a big thank you to all the workers and volunteers for this effort!!

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

It's not just the govn't is the TV news too. Its telecast, written, signs everywhere. I think they are stiring up the scare. The govn't is just providing the vaccine.

LoveThsLife 5 years, 5 months ago

Vaccines do not cause autism. period. To date not a single properly controlled study has shown a casual link between Thimerosal and autism. In addition, Thimerosal was removed from commonly-recommended childhood vaccines as a precautionary measure in 2002. In addition, autism rates haven't dropped since the removal of Thimerosal in childhood vaccines. If Thimerosal was the cause, autism rates should have dropped, but they haven't. I know that those that are anti-vaccine have come up with some pretty creative and statistically unfounded arguments since then..however, they are far fetched and not based on any scientific data. In addition, just because I stay at home with my kid doesn't mean I am not out in the community with my child. You know? Doing things? In addition, because my husband is in a closed work environment, who's to say he's not going to bring home something?

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

guesswho and bandboy the reason we don't have polio, chicken pox, etc is because society was vacinated for it and basically did away with chickon pox where that shot is not required anymore (as far as I know). When I was young they gave you sugar cubes with the polio vaccine in it. They haven't done that in years. So because of vaccines we have eraticated many serious illnesses. I don't think the gov't is doing this on a whim - although I do believe there is an underlying reason. Perhaps our enemy has gotten ahold of a virus and let it go in our water system or food and this is why we need this vaccine. In any case, I'm not taking any chances with my grandson's life.

beawolf 5 years, 5 months ago

rooster (Anonymous) says

"BTW. I'm a parent and I practice what I preach. "

I feel sorry for your family. Hopefully your significant other is more responsible and concerned about their child's health,

KaraGourley 5 years, 5 months ago

I would have went but I had to work til 5 and figured the line would be too long by the time I got the kids there. Too bad that there isn't something on the weekend where working parents can get their kids there to get their shot!

loloen 5 years, 5 months ago

The stupid is strong in this thread. When people are trusting Jenny McCarthy over medical experts, we are indeed in trouble as a nation.

Anecdotal evidence does not take place of scientific fact! Vaccines save lives. Ask children in India who are dying or crippled from polio what they would prefer.

Don't let science stand in the way of your freak out though. God forbid we shouldn't have anything to complain about.

Got the swine flu vaccine for my kids yesterday at the fairgrounds.

bankboy119 5 years, 5 months ago

kmat,

That's great they work for you. The doctors I've talked with don't get them and I have several friends who will not get the shots anymore because they get the most sick right after they get the shots. Healthy year round before that. My family will not be getting the shots.

jdoe 5 years, 5 months ago

Just for the record, for all those who think this is a way to get money, the vaccine is free.

Vaccination is not an individual choice. It is a social responsibility. You don't just get vaccinated to keep yourself from getting sick. You do it to make sure people who can't get vaccinated (like babies under 6 months old and persons with egg allergies) don't get sick from you. They could die and that would be your responsibility. There is also something called "herd immunity." It means that if enough people in the population are not susceptible to a disease than the disease can't make it in that population. It dies out and no one who hasn't been vaccinated gets sick. Every vaccination brings us closer to herd immunity.

It is sad that we live in a culture where a lot of people think only of themselves. It is ironic that it is the very people who tout the notion of personal responsibility who are usually hyper focused on themselves. Be responsible, think of other people for once in your lives.

FrancescaPFurbottom 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm disappointed that not one single person on this thread has mentioned the awesome face that kid is making...

bankboy119 5 years, 5 months ago

jdoe,

Or....we see mutations and stronger viruses that adapt and become immune to the medicine we currently have.

There's two sides to the issue. If you think the flu shot helps you, then great. Kmat has had great success. I've seen the bad side and I will NEVER get one. I don't think you can "prove" either one of us wrong.

frank mcguinness 5 years, 5 months ago

Comraderedrooster

If obama is responsable for humdreds of deaths then bush and the conservative right in general responsable for hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Wow, I guess it is fun to make stuff up.

gr 5 years, 5 months ago

"The vaccine is being provided at no charge, the only thing that can be billed for the H1N1 vaccine is the actual injection."

Someone's paying for it, don't kid yourself. Most likely you and everyone else.

"In addition, the swine flu is serious. This strain of flu virus is able to penetrate deeper into the lung tissue and cause viral pneumonia"

And getting injected with poison isn't going to change that possibility.

"Vaccines do not cause autism. period. To date not a single properly controlled study has shown a casual link between Thimerosal and autism."

Take a look at this abstract: http://ijt.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/22/4/277

"Thimerosal was removed from commonly-recommended childhood vaccines" Why did you say that? Weren't we talking about flu vaccines?

"have come up with some pretty creative and statistically unfounded arguments"

And can you come up with a good argument for injecting mercury, a known toxin, into anyone even if it isn't a "commonly-recommended childhood vaccines"?

"the reason we don't have polio, chicken pox, etc is because society was vacinated for it"

Better do some research on polio. It's true, the "reporting" did go down, but there were other things going on. Why did they change what determined the disease before and after vaccination? Why were the cases already going down before the vaccine? Why was the length of time for determining if you have polio changed to 60 days?

"and basically did away with chickon pox where that shot is not required anymore (as far as I know)." I think it was chicken pox vaccine which was just recently started.

Since it appears you got smallpox mixed up with "chikon pox", I would say that you don't really care because you trust someone else to do your thinking for you. Just in case you want to read more, here's a couple from Time which may encourage you to search elsewhere, but I won't hope much.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,861691-2,00.html http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,861603,00.html

And another that even people back then didn't want to really face. But don't bother. You're mind's made up. Unless you're interested about "Glycerinated Calf Lymph". They did finally, 8 years later, decide to kill the calves before scraping the pus off of them. Talk about animal cruelty! http://www.answers.com/topic/the-truth-about-vaccination-and-immunization-part-1

Don't maim your kid.

"There is also something called “herd immunity.”" Please explain that in light of refuge area requirements for preventing genetic resistance. Every time I ask, no one will answer that. Guess they haven't thought of that. Do you believe science or do you believe media hype as it was during the days of polio?