Letters to the Editor

Valid concerns

October 22, 2009

To the editor:

In Sunday’s editorial about the South Lawrence Trafficway, “Top priority,” the writer characterized opponents of the SLT as barking dogs who bother the mailman.

The Journal-World Letters Policy clearly states that letter writers must “avoid name-calling.”

Characterizing fellow citizens who have legitimate and heartfelt concerns about the SLT as barking dogs is name-calling indeed and harms the Lawrence community.

The Journal-World should adhere to the standards it demands in its own Letters Policy.

Comments

skinny 5 years, 5 months ago

Build it and be done with it. This is getting old and it will be built sooner or later anyway. Ruf Ruf!!

Michael Caron 5 years, 5 months ago

Brian Daldorph makes a valid point about name calling and all the commenters can do is make animal sounds and bark "build it!" like that will "git er done". The fact is the lawsuit raises substantial questions about KDOT's fairness and veracity in elaluating the alternatives. This trafficway does not belong in the wetland, is an obscene affront to Native Americans as genuinely outrageous as building a shopping mall on top of Gettysbury battlefield or a casino on the site of the twin towers. It will not happen in our lifetime. Howl "build it" as loud as you like, the SLT will never cross the wetlands.

KayCee 5 years, 5 months ago

It's not valid about name calling. There is a discriptive term as to how those people present themselves. I've been seeing this for years, and it really is tiring. Most of the oposition has been 'frivolous' in their desire to prevent the SLT from taking place. And just a personal note: there were no 'wetlands' (swamp is a better term) back in the days I first visited Lawrence.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 5 months ago

An absolutely ridiculous LTE. If Mr. Daldorph cannot recognize a metaphor when he sees it, he should put down the newspaper and pick up a coloring book.

mr_right_wing 5 years, 5 months ago

Well then you'll hate my illustration....

The SLT naysayers are like a big fat huge dumb gorilla sitting on that bridge making sure that absolutely no progress takes place, in any shape of form. (...and I'm using constraint so my post doesn't get deleted.)

Now, is barking dogs so bad?

Michael Caron 5 years, 5 months ago

Like the "metaphors" Rush Limbaugh uses are not really racism (see Leonard Pitt's excellent column in today's paper). Professor Daldorph knows the difference between metaphor and name-calling. I suppose the repeated drum beat from the editorial writer that opponents of the wetland route are "crimimals" (see this and past SLT editorials) is also merely a "metaphor"?

As to the assertion that the wetlands is just some farmland that Baker University added some water to in recent years, that kind of ignorance is beyond help. KayCee clearly has no knowledge of physical geography, environmental history, or the actual role this place played in Native American resistance to culturl genocide back when it was, as he calls it, "a swamp."

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 5 months ago

sw2,

As I am not familiar with your two references, I cannot comment on them. However, to characterize opponents of the SLT as "barking dogs who bother the mailman" is an example of metaphor. Put the word "like" in front of the clause and you'd have a simile. For Mr. Daldorph to attempt to deny other letter writers the use of reasonable literary expression is unreasonable.

Additionally, Mr. Daldorph's complaint is so petty as to be laughable. If I didn't derive some humor out of riduculing his small-minded whining, I wouldn't have even commented on this LTE.

ferrislives 5 years, 5 months ago

JackRipper, I took your advice, did some research, and I found this site: http://www.bakeru.edu/faculty/rboyd/wetlands/Baker_Wetlands/History.html Here are some interesting notes from it:

Pre-Haskell Era This area was historically used by American Indians of the Kanza tribe and then later by various eastern tribes that were moved to this area by soldiers of the European white settlers. Several archaeological sites in the region have been investigated. The closest known site is to the west of US 59 just south of the current movie theater. Also several sites were investigated before Clinton Lake was filled. In spite of extensive searches and years of plowing there have been no archeological sites or artifacts located within the area of the current Baker Wetlands.

Haskell Era In 1883 the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) began purchasing land to establish the Haskell Institute, a boarding school for the American Indian. The original purchases were north, located in Section 7. Between the late 1890’s and 1902, BIA purchased the four parcels in Section 18. It was indicated that this land was to become part of the Haskell Farm and be a component of the educational mission of Haskell Institute as well as to grow food for its occupants. ... In 1934 the educational mission at Haskell changed and no longer included agricultural training. BIA began leasing the ground to local farmers. Then in the 1950’s, a significant portion of the acreage was declared by the Department of the Interior as surplus land. Parcels of this land were given to the city to construct Broken Arrow School and South Junior High; to the county to build Broken Arrow Park; to the State Biological Survey, which was later transferred to the University of Kansas; and another 20 acres to the Kansas Forestry, Fish, and Game Commission, which later became the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. What remained was an odd-shaped parcel of approximately 573 acres. One of the purposes of forming the State Biological Survey was to acquire the remaining Haskell property in Section 18 for the purposes of creating a wildlife refuge.

So the Baker Wetlands were for the purposes of creating a wildlife refuge not until the 1950's. They also say "...several sites were investigated before Clinton Lake was filled. In spite of extensive searches and years of plowing there have been no archeological sites or artifacts located within the area of the current Baker Wetlands.".

So with all of this data, what history is there regarding the Native Americans? I'm not being condescending, I'd really like to get a civil response.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 5 months ago

Research? What's that? I think I would rather just get on here and say that the wetlands were a supremely important Native American land (kind of like Mecca to the Muslim) and everyone take me at my word since I am most obviously right. Then you could also make up your own history saying the land was used by the Native Americans to resist culturl(?) genocide even though for the life of me, I'm not sure how a plot of land can stop a cultural murderer. SW2, making up things is ignorance, and that kind of ignorance is beyond help....and kind of funny. Everyone point and laugh.

ferrislives 5 years, 5 months ago

JackRipper, did you see how long that entire page was? If I posted that entire article, it would take an hour for someone to scroll through it. That seemed like a stupid idea, so I posted a link to the history along with parts that are being debated.

In all honesty JackRipper, the county is going to build the 31 st street corridor, and the city/state will eventually build a bypass through there. They've already started the long process of rebuilding wetlands South of there, and there's a lot of progress in several directions that end up at the SLT. There's no stopping it.

ferrislives 5 years, 5 months ago

Note: According to Wikipedia, the joint owners of the Baker Wetlands are:

Baker University: 573 acres!!! Haskell Indian Nations University: 27 Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks: 20 acres University of Kansas: 20 acres

tbaker 5 years, 5 months ago

Whew! I'm glad the name-calling policy doesn't apply to the many morons that post to the LJW blog! The colorful insults are half the reason I pay any attention to this thing.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Give local and state taxpayers a break. Don't build it. Gas will cost too much soon and people will be locating much closer to work and home.

The taxes in this city/county are wayyyyyy too high now... in fact maybe the highest in the state. The more that is built the more taxes will increase the less fun money left in the fun kitty.

Michael Caron 5 years, 5 months ago

Settingtherecordstraight is either unable to read objectively or is deliberately misattributing Daldorph's words. He quite clearly was chastizing the editorial writer for practices that have been repeatedly used by the Journal-World to reject letters to the editor. He said absolutely nothing that any reasonable reader could interpret as advocating sensorship. Professor Daldorph, with a Ph.D. in English from a major university, certainly knows the definition of a metaphor and its uses. What would make Settingtherecordstraight think that a metaphor could not also be name-calling, or race-baiting in the case of Rush Limbaugh as described in the article by Leonard Pitt's that I mentioned from today's edition? I suspect many of the commentators here did not even recognize that the author was being ironic, or was his point also "so petty as to be laughable"?

Michael Caron 5 years, 5 months ago

Censorship. Didn't proof before posting.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 5 months ago

JackRipper- So...because I am arrogant I am an advocate for rape, greed, and the irradication of Native Americans? That seems like quite a leap. By all means, keep making up stuff. You are just proving my point with your wonderful imagination. Let me ask you this: Are there no arrogant or sarcastic Native Americans? I am sure they would love to know their propensity for wiping out their own race.