Letters to the Editor

Story overkill

October 20, 2009

To the editor:

I have always admired the Journal-World for their outstanding journalism and accuracy, but I must say I’m very disappointed by the handling of the Brady Morningstar story. A couple of weeks ago the story was splashed on the front page and again, recently, going into detail about the police report and his alcohol level being twice the legal limit.

I believe the paper did an overkill. Brady made a giant mistake, and I think he realizes that and has apologized. I don’t take driving while intoxicated lightly and I think he has learned a valuable lesson. I just don’t think it was necessary to further insult and embarrass the Morningstar family. Although I don’t know the family personally I understand they are outstanding members of the Lawrence community and don’t believe they should be treated so poorly. I further think the Journal World reduced themselves to the level of a scandal rag tabloid like the Enquirer in this particular endeavor!

Comments

Christine Anderson 4 years, 6 months ago

1029, if you have been drunk that often in the past two years, and have that great an amount saved up, take the "T/KU on Wheels" buses to the nearest A.A. meeting. It's free. Seriously, you have a problem. I truly hope you never hurt or kill anyone( including yourself) in your drunken driving. It disgusts me the way you seem to be making light of a very deadly subject. Hey, drunk drivers are disgusting. That includes my younger brother when it's him doing the impaired driving.

parrothead8 4 years, 6 months ago

The story was reported by Espn, Usa Today, Yahoo, the Sporting News, and most of the major news outlets in the region...and it was the LJW's coverage that went above and beyond?

C'mon, dude.

BMI 4 years, 6 months ago

1029, figure in your future moving expenses and future rent increases when you need to rent a place within walking distance right behind your work because you can no longer drive from your current preferred place of living after that DUI. :)

christy kennedy 4 years, 6 months ago

Tom, I missed where everybody on the Left signed up as a Polanski apologist. Don't count me as one. And I can't think of any of my Lefty friends who would call a 40-something guy having sex with a drunk 13-year-old anything other than a crime. Not the topic of the letter, however. I agree with Kris H.

1029 4 years, 6 months ago

I have a "DUI savings plan" that is working well for me. Everytime I get drunk and have to get home, I find out what the nearest motel is and call them to see how much a room costs. Then I find out how much a taxi would cost to get to that hotel. I type the cost of the room and the taxi into the "memo pad" on my cellphone. Then I get in my car and drive home (With one eye closed, of course. Works excellent.) The next day, I get the figure off the "memo pad" and I transfer that amount of money from my checking to a special savings account. I figure I could use that money if I ever get a DUI. I started the account probably 2 years ago and it already has $8650 in it. (I forgot to mention that you multiply the taxi cost by two, because if you got the motel room you would have to get a taxi in the morning to get to your car. Also, should have mentioned that the time it takes to call the motel and taxi also helps to sober you up a little, provided you aren't still drinking when you call them.) So, at least for me, it's much cheaper to not get the room and taxi.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 6 months ago

tom, i would probably be lumped in w/ "the left", being somewhat of a nouveau hippy, however i am not down w/ mr. polanski in any way shape or form. what he did 30 years ago was effed up and he should pay the price for it just as much as if he was a non-famous person who had raped a 13 year old last week.

i agree w/ the O.P. (original poster) in this thread but i also have to co-sign merrill because he is feeding right into the continued media scrutiny of mr. morningstar w/ the this simple little blog he posted.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 6 months ago

kris h, you said it all right there. very eloquent.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 6 months ago

WOW! Where's this mindset when it comes to a director in his 40's drugging and sodomizing a 13 year old girl? The left says "Eh, give the guy a break". Weird ways of thinking.

CLARKKENT 4 years, 6 months ago

THIS NO WAY REFLECTS ON THE REST OF THE FAMILY. BRADY IS OVER 21 AND IS A MAN WHO CAN MAKE HIS OWN DECISIONS. HE MADE A WRONG ONE. BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD, THIS COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE.

THERE WAS NO OVERKILL ON THIS. IT WAS NEWS, AND WAS REPORTED.

BMI 4 years, 6 months ago

I would like to take this this opportunity to publicly praise the officer who happened to be there to apprehend Morningstar and possibly prevent our reading of his death, or the deaths of others that morning. Of how his basketball career was ending by his being paralyzed by his injuries or brain damaged.

Reading now that the arrests of those people involved in the altercation outside the motel have been erased from the booking reports on the dcso, we can only wonder if this too might have been hush hushed. Who were those people that were arrested and why are there arrests now missing from the booking reports from those days, coincidentally when the site was down?

His BAC being made public may embarrass the family, but it is a wake up call to everyone who drinks who might consider driving.

Thank you LJW for posting it and keeping us updated. I noticed someone supposedly in the know made a comment about the crash on Ousdahl last year, and that new information might change former reports. Will LJW be looking into that?

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, KU basketball players are celebrities in this town and are thus held to high standards and are subjected to extra coverage by the media.

I'm sure Bill Self would have picked up Brady in KC himself if Brady would have just called. He made his bed, and now he can sleep in it.

Brady embarrassed? How about the fans, coaches, teammates, and University being embarrassed?

Mkh 4 years, 6 months ago

So it's okay to "splash" his name and picture all over the paper for putting a ball through a hoop; but not okay to do so when driving completely wasted on our state's highways?

Get a life.

Jimo 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow, such sympathy for the victim and family of those persons Mr. Morningstar almost killed but for the grace of God. Clearly Mr. Tucker has a bad case of hero worship that leads him to makes excuses for the object of his affections. But it is outrageous that he would complain that LJW should have participated in a cover up of the ongoings by the PUBLIC'S servants and the enforcement of PUBLIC law.

Kris_H 4 years, 6 months ago

Maybe if more people were splashed all over the front page there would be fewer crushed all over the highway.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

Big-time sports, whether college or pro, is based on media hype and a culture of celebrity. It's what sells ads for the JW, and justifies sky-high ticket prices and salaries. Anyone who signs up to play in that atmosphere should expect to have their life under a microscope, and act accordingly.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps the coverage will prevent preferential treatment that which Brady does not deserve.

Face it Brady was definitely loaded. Passing a state trooper while DUI = very loaded aka did not realize what he was doing.

Why would this reflect on the family? Brady was doing the driving not the family.

Your letter defeats your purpose.

Advice to all. Get a motel/hotel room no matter what. It is safer and wayyyyyyyyyy less expensive. Parents want their children to arrive alive no matter what age.