Archive for Monday, October 5, 2009

KU couple name kids after football, basketball heroes

Lawrence mother Shelly Howard is pictured with her 2-year-old son, Manning, and her newborn daughter, Reesing. The children are named after Jayhawk basketball great Danny Manning and current quarterback Todd Reesing. Howard and her husband, Doug Urish, have even decorated Reesing’s room with a giant version of the Jayhawk logo.

October 5, 2009

KU couple name kids after football, basketball heroes

Two of the littlest Jayhawks fans in Lawrence have some big KU names to live up to. Enlarge video

Reader poll
Do you have a child who is named after someone famous?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->
Manning Urish wears a Todd Reesing No. 5 jersey at the 2009 spring KU football game at Memorial Stadium. He was at the game with his father, Doug Urish.

Manning Urish met Danny Manning in January 2008 at a “Hawk Talk” event at the Salty Iguana in Lawrence. Manning was 1 year old at the time. He also has an autographed basketball from his Jayhawk namesake.

Scouting reports

Manning Urish

Age: 2 1/2

Shoots: Right

Throws: Right

Eats: Left

Favorite song: Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Sport of choice: Auto racing (Hot Wheels), Nerf football with dad. “He’s tearing up my living room,” Mom says.

Reesing Urish

Age: Two weeks

Sleeps: Plenty

Eats: Even more

Prominent features: “She has very tiny hands,” Mom says of her daughter and, come to think of it, Todd Reesing. “They already have some similarities.”

And proud parents Doug Urish and Shelly Howard are very much looking forward to it.

The dyed-in-the-crimson-and-blue couple’s two children are destined to carry their parents’ Jayhawk loyalty for life, as their first names are taken from the last names of two of the greatest players ever to don KU uniforms.

“It is a lot of pressure, but we hope they can handle it,” Howard said of their two children, Manning and Reesing.

Manning, who is 2 1/2, takes his name from basketball legend Danny Manning — All-American, Player of the Year, national champion, top overall NBA draft pick and now assistant coach for the Jayhawks.

Reesing, born two weeks ago, is named after Todd Reesing, who so far has won an Orange Bowl, set passing records and has quarterbacked this year’s football team to a 4-0 start.

“A lot people think we’re crazy,” admits Howard, who works at Golf Course Superintendents Association of America and is completing her communications degree at KU. “We don’t think we’re crazy. We love it. If we were really forcing it — like, naming them ‘Bill Self’ or something — then that’d be different.”

The kids won’t be missing out on many opportunities to follow their elder namesakes. Urish takes young Manning to “Hawk Talk” radio shows, the spring football game and Late Night at Allen Fieldhouse, and the smiling boy obliges by waving the wheat, saying “Rock Chalk Jayhawk” and wearing seemingly every KU fashion available.

In his bedroom, a signed souvenir basketball above his bed even carries the written blessing of the man whose name he shares:

To: Manning

GREAT NAME!

Danny Manning (autograph)

2008

The recently arrived Reesing, meanwhile, will grow up with a less-subtle reminder of her folks’ favorite quarterback. In her room, Urish has painted “REESING” in dark pink letters — yes, in KU’s signature Trajan font — that stretch from ceiling to floor.

Across the room is a giant Jayhawk, to go along with her Jayhawk onesies, pants, tops, ribbons and everything else.

“From the day she was born, she’s had a Jayhawk on,” Howard said.

The proud parents say they’re looking forward to continuing to share their own love for KU with their children, as they grow up around Mount Oread and the athletic excellence that surrounds it.

And if they happen to have a third child in the months or years ahead, Urish is ready to add the name of another KU legend to their familial roster.

And he’s not hesitating to think big.

“If we have another kid,” he said, “it’s probably going to be Chamberlain.”

Comments

SofaKing 5 years, 9 months ago

I sure hope baby Reesing paid KU for the use of that logo on her wall and the use of the name.

Sharon Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

Was thinking the same thing about the logo.

jhawk24 5 years, 9 months ago

I think it's awesome and love the jayhawk on the wall. Of course, I'm probably biased since that is my neice and nephew. Rock Chalk!

Shane Garrett 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow what a negative bunch. Must be a Monday.

Melissa Sigler 5 years, 9 months ago

Honestly those are kind of cute names :)

LOL at the logo comment though :D

coolmarv 5 years, 9 months ago

Ostertag is a cool name for a Dog.

I wanted to name my son Jay Hawke but my wife shot it down. Probably a good thing.

I hope Todd Ressing doesn't turn out to be a big, fat ex football star,serial rapist, wife beater, dog fight promoter or something. The name might not be so special then.

kjo_shorty 5 years, 9 months ago

I think they are very nice names and the rest of you just need to shake your case of the Monday's :)

Stuart Evans 5 years, 9 months ago

there's something just a little bit wrong with all of you extreme sports fans. I've never understood how one can get so worked up over a game that someone else is playing. Being a fanatical is just a little strange.

kugrandma 5 years, 9 months ago

Great couple. Beautiful babies. Awesome names.

jeffds01 5 years, 9 months ago

manning, not so bad for a boy name, but reesing for a girls first name, def kinda of odd.

i like the ku ties though!

pantenejn 5 years, 9 months ago

hail2oldku 5 years, 9 months ago

"jeffds01 (Anonymous) says… but reesing for a girls first name, def kinda of odd."

It's not all that far from Reese and that has certainly worked for at least one attractive blonde movie star.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 9 months ago

Not only am I going to name my son Ostertag, I'm going to pull out his two front teeth.

alm77 5 years, 9 months ago

When Mario made that shot I turned to my husband and said "Our next child is being named Mario Chalmers, even if it's a girl!" But we haven't had any more kids.

BigPrune 5 years, 9 months ago

I notice the parents don't have the same last name, are they married? As for the kids' names, they seem fine to me.

ihatelv 5 years, 9 months ago

ljb 5 years, 9 months ago

BigPrune " I notice the parents don't have the same last name, are they married?"

Many women decide to keep their maiden name after marriage.

the photo caption says, "Howard and her husband, Doug Urish, have even decorated Reesing’s room with a giant version of the Jayhawk logo."

Brandi Simpson-Glover 5 years, 9 months ago

cute names. Reesing especially different but cool. who cares whether they are married or not(article DOES say her husband)?!?!?

Outsidelookingin 5 years, 9 months ago

It will be great until they become rebelling teenagers, then decide to go to K-State, or Mizzou!!!! :)

ralphralph 5 years, 9 months ago

I sure hope one of my daughters, Von Moore and Mokeski, get homecoming queen!

concernedeudoravoter 5 years, 9 months ago

This will explain a lot when the two kids start fighting each other as they grow up - as all siblings do. They will just be emulating the KU Basketball and Football teams going at it against each other.

pace 5 years, 9 months ago

while I would count as an anti sports person, great, good for them, sounds like fine names and if they didn't sound good to me, so what. Should we all line up and ask the pundits what to name our own kids? It goes too far to sit and pass judgment on what someone names their kids. I prefer standing in line at the super market and judging the amount of soda pop and boxed food the young parents are buying.

mirakel46 5 years, 9 months ago

Although the names are a little unconventional--(I actually think they are distinctive without being too "whatthehellwereyouthinking/")--I have seen much, much stranger ones. Shaquille? Shaniqua? Anfernee? Juwan? Lacedarius? Look at any team roster--college or professional--and I guarantee you will find more peculiar names than these. It's not the names, it's that somebody elevates a form of entertainment (sports) to such a place in their lives that they feel compelled to do something like this that strikes me as weird. In the early '80's I loved "Cheers"; should I have named my kids "Sam" and "Diane"? I glad I didn't--later I would have had to change them to "Jerry" and "Elaine".

puddleglum 5 years, 9 months ago

I have several plants named: galindo giles downs

does this count?

ohgeeze 5 years, 9 months ago

I always wanted to name my children after famous composers or musical terms...like Cadence, Lydian, Giovanni, Aria...and so on.

But then I became a teacher and holy cow! It's hard to pronounce some of those names...I would hate to do that to my kid. I'll stick with nice pretty names like Anne or Jack :-) (I love Manning and Reesing though!)

Funniest name story so far in my career...I was teaching in another city and had a little girl who spelled her name "Le-ah"...with a hyphen...

Lee-uh? Lay-uh?

Nope...you pronounced it Luh-DASH-uh !!

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 5 years, 9 months ago

If she's turns out to be the cutest most adorable blond in the entire school system she might not suffer too much grief for that one. Just make sure she's not too tall and her teeth are perfect. Fine boned and not a cuzin in sight. Sure hope they live on the far west side and daddy makes a whole lot of money. The heckling she may get for having a weird name in the first few grades can form what she thinks of herself the rest of her life.

kmat 5 years, 9 months ago

BigP - You are living in a different century, aren't you? I never changed my name. Been happily married for 17 years. So what's your issue with changing last names?

I named my cat Phoggie. Pets are one thing. I wanted to be able to say "Beware of the Phog". Naming your kids for your favorite athletes seems a little strange though. But, I've seen stranger.

4mrksgrl 5 years, 9 months ago

OMG! What's with all of the negativity? People have named their kids far worse things than Manning and Reesing for no apparent reason. If you didn't live in Lawrence, KS you would have no idea who Danny Manning and Todd Reesing even are and these would just be a couple of cute kid names. Long story short, I suggest you all get a life and be happy that these two kids are happy, healthy and have a loving family.

jhawk24 5 years, 9 months ago

4mkrsgr, well said.

fyi, i'm their aunt and we do call her Reese and/or Reesing. Like Reese Witherspoon. They're beautiful kids who are loved and happy. We think their names make them original without being too crazy. Isn't that enough?

beawolf 5 years, 9 months ago

"What a waste of electrons."

Are you talking about bandwidth or the physical composition of many of these posters? In any event I agree.

throwdown_wallet 5 years, 9 months ago

While I don't know this family, I think they picked lovely names for lovely children. I can't believe some of you are on here getting your panties in a wad about what someone else chose to name THEIR children.

Back in the days before the award-winning LJWorld message boards, it used to be kind of a neat thing to be mentioned in a human-interest article. Now it just seems like putting yourself out there for faceless jerks to pick you apart. Sad.

horton 5 years, 9 months ago

I have know Shelly my whole life...and as long as I've known her she has been a huge KU fan!! It was only fitting that her beautiful children be named after what she and Doug love! The names are not that over the top...so please get over it! Shelly and Doug be very proud of your children and their beautiful names, it fits them very well!!

ambir88 5 years, 9 months ago

ambir88 (Anonymous) says… I love those names! I highly doubt being named Manning and Reesing will cause any harm to the outcome of their quality of life. Manning and Reesing are cute and unique first names that represent something their family really enjoys doing. I am quite surprised how ignorant some comments are. After reading the article, I expected most people to comment on the clever names that they are!

Confrontation 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow, some people on here are real idiots. What's wrong with naming these kids what they want? Parents name their kids whatever they want all the time. It doesn't have to be some silly name based on fictitious biblical characters to be an appropriate name. Many parents just pic the name of the week. How many Rylee's, Kylee's, and Miley's do we now have?

Matt Lacey 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm sad that Kansas no longer has moral superiority over the 2 kids I saw on one of my drives home from KU, at an Okie gas station, named Ford and Mercedes.

MaryKatesPillStash 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh, for sure, beo. They should have named their kids Madison/Madisyn and Aiden/Ayden like everyone else.

password 5 years, 9 months ago

I think it's a cool idea. the names are not out of the ordinary and in 18+ years not too many will even remember the association of the names.

password 5 years, 9 months ago

at least they didn't name them Chase Daniel or JT Tiller.

cozy 5 years, 9 months ago

I am going to have to agree with SofaKing on this one.

Im going to keep my eye out for a lawsuit from the money grubbing fingers of KU for that logo on the wall.

pantenejn 5 years, 9 months ago

lslbison 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey Shell-don't let the vocal minority here spoil the happiness and pride you and Doug have for those two precious babies and our Hawks. How about focusing on a refreshing, positive story that the LJ World has published that epitomizes the real values in life and congratulate these two awesome parents. It's OK girlfriend, in a recent story about our farm, I was hammered for living a fairytale life instead of applauded for trying to feed our community healthy, safe food and saving our small piece of Douglas County farmland. Rock On Shelly, Doug, Manning & Reesing.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 9 months ago

Now i'm thinking about the guy who sells KU lawn art. I would hate to see KU go after that nice old guy.

horton_20 5 years, 9 months ago

Are the people on here really Jayhawk fans? They must be really jealous of the names you chose Shelly. Clearly if they were true Jayhawk fans they would think its awesome! The names aren't that over the top! When they get older and even in school kids won't even know what they stand for. The people on here hating on the names are IDIOTS!!!

lslbison 5 years, 9 months ago

horton_20-do I know you? Hubby grew up in Horton so just curious...seems we have alot in common. Thanks for supporting Shelly.

Mancer 5 years, 9 months ago

Quite a committment these two have imposed on their youngsters, this isn't like a sticker that can quickly be removed upon the next epic failure in the NCAA's.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 9 months ago

"Check back in 20 years and ask these kids what they think of their 'special” name.'"

No more calls, please. We have a winner.

Too many parents don't stop to think that a kid's name goes with them for the next 80-100 years. Names like these aren't about the kids; they're about making the parents feel cool.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 9 months ago

I think the names are really cute! Not sure I would do it, but I like it!

IrishJayhawk65 5 years, 9 months ago

Wonderful names for wonderful, beautiful children. Positive, upbeat story about a positive & upbeat family that deserve nothing but praise & compliments. For those negative commentators out there, you should be ashamed. This was a sweet, light story about a beautiful young family. For those that felt compelled to comment in such negative & harrassing manner for the simple pleasure of feeling superior to others or to fill the void that is your empty life, PLEASE start focusing on making your own life more positive.

cindik 5 years, 8 months ago

I think the names are unique and adorable. At least they won't have the same name as 10 other kids in their class in school. They will be individuals and I think they will be proud of their names in 20 years!