Letters to the Editor

AD should go

November 24, 2009

To the editor:

It is readily apparent to me that the athletic director has carefully orchestrated the events that have taken place over the past week with the football coach, team and program. The athletic director may not care about the future of any aspect of KU, but as an alumna, I do.

The current situation should be about the integrity of the institution that is KU and respect for the people it educates, has educated and will educate in the future. From my vantage point, the personal attack campaign that is being played out in the media has done nothing but personally damage Coach Mangino and his family, in addition to damaging the integrity of KU.

If the allegations against Coach Mangino are worthy of punishment, then I must ask where the athletic director and his department have been the past eight years in the governance of KU’s football program. While I believe the current maelstrom created by the athletic director has backed the university into a corner and the chancellor will have no choice but to let Coach Mangino go, I also believe that she has no other alternative other than to dismiss the athletic director as well, for his apparent lack of oversight over the football program. The integrity of KU cannot be restored if the chancellor chooses to rid the school of Coach Mangino but not the athletic director.

Parting ways with the athletic director will be the first step made toward restoring the integrity of our great university.

Comments

cato_the_elder 5 years, 1 month ago

Whether or not one agrees entirely with its content, this is one of the most articulate Letters to the Editor that I've read in a long time. The question asked in this letter has been asked by many since the controversy was first aired.

John Hamm 5 years, 1 month ago

They should (let him go) but you know they won't. He's proven to be too big a money maker for the athletic program - no matter how many fans he's discarded along the way.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

Hear hear.... finally getting to the substance of the matter.

Matt Warman 5 years, 1 month ago

Great article. I hope the Chancellor reads the paper.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 1 month ago

BIG MONEY MAKER????

IS MONEY ALL KU SPORTS IS ABOUT???????

CMON FOLKS, THINK ABOUT IT, LEW IS THE PROBLEM

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

i agree w/ oonly. they need to cut lew loose but i doubt they will.

Bud Stagg 5 years, 1 month ago

The Athletic Director did not "carefully" orchestrate this mess. I almost bought it, but have seen through Lew's plan. In the end, he should be fired for doing a poor job of "outing" his head football coach.

That being said, there is something wrong in the football program. We should easily have 2 or 3 more wins. The Defense fell apart, players or coaching? The offense fell apart, players or coaching? I personally think the offense was mostly players, Todd lost his confidence for 4 or 5 games.

thewayitis 5 years, 1 month ago

Lew has caused much more strife in this town than any other AD. You cannot go anywhere in this town, mention his name and not get an eye roll or a sigh. Especially from loyal season ticket holders they keep "Perkinizing". It will turn around when we lose a few and all we have left are fair weather fans who won't show up.

Catbacker 5 years, 1 month ago

Beo- Mangino would NEVER be welcomed back to KSU as long as Snyder is alive...not just coaching...alive. People who think Snyder came out in defense of Mangino haven't been paying attention. Those coaches were defending their own programs..."he didn't do that here...." Snyder wouldn't publicly say anything bad about Mangino, but I assure you, he believes that Mangino has had this coming for quite some time.

akuna 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure that this has hurt the integrity of KU. Yes, if this was orchestrated by Lew, it was poorly done. Yes, Mangino might have a bit of an anger problem.

The integrity of KU will be based on its (the administrators, fans, students, staff, ...) reaction to Lori Williams investigation into this matter and the eventual resolution.

If it can be shown that having either Mangino or Perkins in their current positions hurts recruiting, fund raising, or the sports programs in general, they should be fired.

Otherwise I chalk this up to the stress and pressures of trying to build a first-class, national sports program. Don't forget that a lot of money is/was on the line for the Grid Iron Club and the Olympic village. I am sure Perkins is sore that the football program is not going to generate the donations necessary to make these projects come to fruition.

Perkins is thinking about his legacy. And a piss poor year of football went a long way toward damaging his dream.

LawrenceKSHomeBoy 5 years, 1 month ago

bangaranggerg 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm disgusted with you KU fans freaking out about the investigation. It's not Lew who had injured the University, as a matter of fact he's more than DOUBLED the athletics budget and built a myriad of new facilities for all the programs. You're suggesting we fire the country's best sports executive because he's doing his JOB! I've not seen him in public speaking poorly of Mangino- find me one quote! Just one! What is damaging the university is those of you positioning like this, it's just ridiculous.

d_prowess 5 years, 1 month ago

Sure, the university should recommend a coach that treats players with zero respect... right...
I think Mangino has been a successful coach, but it doesn't mean that he can't also be in wrong. I definitely think he helped this program, but that is not worth keeping him around given his reported behaviors by players.
And as for Perkins, I still don't get what he has done wrong. People came to him with a complaint and he then must investigate it. In doing so he found enough people with potentially damaging stories that he began the investigation process that is outlined in Mangino's contract. And as for announcing it to the press, doesn't anyone think that he was just trying to get in front of the story because everyone knows an investigation like this is going to get out quickly. Perkins isn't a saint, but don't use this situation to vent about the other things people feel he has ruined for them!

leedavid 5 years, 1 month ago

It wasn't Lew's athlete's fighting the basketball team. It wasn't Lew's athletes playing so poorly this past year. And the players haven't made allegations against Lew. So what is your point again?

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 1 month ago

It's apparent that this lady has been drinking the Kool-Aid. Perkins hasn't said anything about Mangino apart from the fact that he would investigate allegations of abuse. Everything else is merely speculation from armchair detectives. It's like a feeding frenzy of the clueless and uninformed.

jimmyjms 5 years, 1 month ago

You people are crazy, or at least ignorant of what an AD does. Lew Perkins in one of the finest AD's in the nation, and I hope he doesn't go anywhere. And I lost my seats at the Fieldhouse.

backyardwino 5 years, 1 month ago

Correct. Valid. Accurate. and Compelling.

Thank you, Rose.

smot 5 years, 1 month ago

It is shocking to see so many people supporting Mangino when these same people would be demanding his resignation if his diatribes were directed to them or their loved ones. Lew is doing his job and likely had already privately counseled Coach Mangino about his behaviors long before the events of the past week. Leaking the player meeting may serve the purpose of preparing the fan base for changes in the near future.

lctchr1 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't see where Miss Rose is defending Coach Mangino. I think she is bringing up the timing of this whole thing. It is a very valid point, one that I have been pondering in my head since this all went down. If we want to get rid of him for losing this season, then so be it. It just looks like the AD is trying to get out of the contract without paying up. A lot of alumnus are thinking exactly what Miss Rose is thinking.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

Nice blog, but I still think Magino's toast before the bowl game (IF there's a bowl game).

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

Everyone should have demanded that Lew leave when he kicked several thousand long-time season ticket holders out of their seats in favor of big money.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 1 month ago

Say my boss hears that I'm sexually harassing a subordinate coworker and I'm trying to pick up a big account at the time. Should he wait to investigate me until after I've made my big presentation to the prospective client? Now imagine that my boss does choose to question my behavior, and my performance has been terrible lately, and that said boss has raised revenue at the firm from $27 million a year to $55 million a year and brought us in line to grow at a rate unheard of at competing companies. Then a bunch of idiot yokel 0.0001 percent shareholders in our company demand his termination after he questioned my behavior because a few years ago I performed well and didn't harass anyone.

Randall Barnes 5 years, 1 month ago

KEEP MANGINO K.U. HASNT HAD A WINNING COACH IN YEARS YOU DONT THINK DISCIPLINE COMES IN THE FORM OF WHISPERS AND HUGGGGGS DO YOU ???? WELL FOOTBALL IS A HIGHLY DISCIPLINED SPORT

jimmyjms 5 years, 1 month ago

Ricky_Vaughn is a great case in point: Does the AD exist to make friends or raise money?

Ding ding ding. Wake up, son. I lost my tickets. I didn't like it. But your anger is misdirected. KU instructed Lew Perkins to boost revenue, which he did.

He's succeeding at the job he was given.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

You telling me to wake up?

I'm fully aware of what Lew's objective is. I just hope all the KU fans realize what KU's #1 priority is...making money! Everything has taken a back seat to raking in the dough.

I just think it's kinda funny that people complain about it now...it's been going on for several years now. Like I said, the fanbase should have stood up to Lew a long time ago if they didn't like him. It's a little late for that now...

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

KU Prices: $50 for a football ticket...$60 for a b-ball ticket...

Chiefs Prices: $35-$160

OKC Thunder Prices: $10-$250

The fact that you can see pro sports (better talent) for less than you can go see KU floors me. I haven't given a nickel of my money to Lew and at this rate, I never will.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

I take that back, I have gone to some KU baseball games, but they're under $10 and I get to see one of the best baseball conferences in the country whip KU like a red-headed step child.

XEPCT 5 years, 1 month ago

If Lew is nothing more than $$$ as many of you seem to imply, you should be singing a different song, namely: In Lew We Trust.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

XEPCT acts like it was Lew himself who won the National Title and the Orange Bowl. Either that, or he sits in that fancy new part of Allen Fieldhouse with booze in it.

freighttrain221 5 years, 1 month ago

Ricky, it doesn't sound like you were much of a KU fan to begin with. Have fun at the OKC Thunder games.

Hitme, I am one of many people who is happy about the current ticket arrangement. With the old system, many people would have had to wait for somebody to die before decent seats became available to them (myself included). Now I finally get to see the games from half court. If I'm sitting in your old seats, you may be comforted to know that I always stay until the end of the game. Plus, the revenue has been used to make great improvements to the facility. This truly is the most beneficial solution.

friendlyjhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for a letter that is well thought out and echos what I think but am too inarticulate to put into words. Notice I did not say what "many of us think." That is a presumption I would not make.

On the other hand, in the more inflamatory sense that this forum invites...............Lew Perkin$ shames KU.

lctchr1 5 years, 1 month ago

Friendly, I will go ahead and make the presumption that many alumnus think exactly what Miss Rose is thinking.

notjustastudent 5 years, 1 month ago

Lew Perkins has an anger problem, so much so that it's legendary? Are you serious? If I just went on media reports, I would have to disagree. If I went on personal experience, I would very strongly disagree. Unlike Mangino, my personal interactions with Lew have been wonderful. Everyone I know that has to work with him loves him. I think those of you complaining about his east coast mentality should remember that we don't live in isolation, we can't stay put and refuse to change. KU knew this, and that's why they hired Lew. The vast majority of Alumni that I have interacted with take the time to educate themselves, read the paper and do their own information gathering before jumping to any conclusions. They treat their investment in KU like any other investment, and even those that can't "invest" seem to think what he's doing is great. For the record, the review of Mangino is something they do every year, not something they've done because of these allegations, this has been stated multiple times, but everyone (media included) seems to forget it...

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

freighttrain221 (Anonymous) says…

It's beneficial for you, rich boy! Way to have compassion for your fellow fan that can't afford to donate $10,000 and up per year plus ticket costs.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

gregsharp (Anonymous) says…

Its amazing that people can talk about this crap and talk about this crap when your fellow citizens are being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and have no jobs. This is so unimportant. Get a life.

Why don't you go to the freakin Afghanistan blog then? Some of us enjoy talking sports as a welcome distraction from war. I'm sending stuff overseas for Christmas...what about you?

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

P.S. freghttrain221

Kevin Durant is better than anybody at KU. I'd rather watch him play anyday!

Frightwig 5 years, 1 month ago

Notjustastudent, great post. Thanks for bringing some sanity to the thread.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 1 month ago

"notjustastudent (Anonymous) says… Lew Perkins has an anger problem, so much so that it's legendary? Are you serious? If I just went on media reports, I would have to disagree. If I went on personal experience, I would very strongly disagree. Unlike Mangino, my personal interactions with Lew have been wonderful. Everyone I know that has to work with him loves him."

Your personal interactions with Lew may have been fantastic, but there are plenty of people who have worked or do work for Lew who do not love him. It is ironic that he is investigating Mangino for being a bully when Lew's tactics are often as bullying as anyone else in college athletics. He's simply a little more subtle about it and allows others to do his dirty work. This time it seems it didn't work as smoothly as he had hoped.