Archive for Sunday, November 15, 2009

Google VP, LHS grad to speak at KU

November 15, 2009

Brian McClendon, vice president of engineering for Google and a Kansas University and Lawrence High School graduate, is scheduled to return to Lawrence on Monday.

He will give a lecture at noon Monday in the Apollo Room in Nichols Hall on KU’s West Campus. McClendon, the co-creator of Google Earth, will discuss the software and hardware of cloud computing, including MapReduce and Global Fire System.

The term “cloud computing” refers to anything involving hosted services over the Internet.

McClendon earned a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from KU in 1986.

Comments

BigPrune 5 years, 9 months ago

I wonder how it feels to have everyone in Lawrence kiss your backside?

Probably pretty good.

BigPrune 5 years, 9 months ago

It must suck to not have a sense of humor, bozo.

parrothead8 5 years, 9 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says… I remember Brian as a quiet unassuming nice guy that took a job with a company with a goofy sounding name called google.

He may be a "quiet unassuming nice guy," but when he joined Google in 2004 it was no longer "a company with a goofy sounding name," it was a corporate giant that everybody who had ever stepped near a computer knew about. And he didn't "take" a job with Google, he was absorbed when Google bought the company he'd been working for in 2004. All the same, he's done quite well for himself.

BigPrune 5 years, 9 months ago

You are absolutely right. Sometimes my memory isn't too good, but last time I spoke with him it had to have been early '90's and he had taken a job with a company with what I thought at the time was a goofy sounding name, so I guess it wasn't google.

Mike Blur 5 years, 9 months ago

Google didn't exist in the early 90s. It just recently celebrated its 10 year anniversary.

polo66606 5 years, 9 months ago

He lived in the apartment building I currently reside in. Open Google earth and zoom all the way in.