Archive for Wednesday, November 4, 2009

New, legal, drug has law enforcement concerned — and it’s already on a Lawrence store’s shelves

Legal substance prevalent in county, health official says

K2 is a legal, smokable herbal mixture with chemical properties similar to THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, a Johnson County Sheriff’s deputy said. K3 is a new drug that is legal because its compounds have been altered from what was found in K2.

November 4, 2009

New, legal, drug has law enforcement concerned — and it's already on a Lawrence store's shelves

It’s not marijuana, but some local law enforcement officials say K2 is very similar. It’s a legal, smokable herbal mixture moving across the nation and its already available in Lawrence. Enlarge video

K2 Debate

Lawrence is a focal point for the current debate in the Kansas Legislature about banning the active ingredient in an herbal substance known as K2. Follow the debate and the progress of the Kansas bills here.

It’s not marijuana, but some local law enforcement officials say it’s very similar.

It’s a legal, smokable herbal mixture called K2, and is available in Lawrence.

“This is basically a synthetic marijuana,” said Deputy Tom Erickson of the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office. “It’s still the same type of thing.”

Erickson said the Johnson County crime lab tested K2 – which looks like potpourri and retails for about $10 per gram – and found that it had chemical properties that are similar to THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

K2 can be purchased at a downtown shop, Sacred Journey, 1103 Mass. Employees at the store declined an interview request.

The substance’s similarity to marijuana is catching the eye of school officials and substance abuse treatment providers.

The Olathe school district has dealt with a couple of cases of students possessing K2 in the schools, said Carol LeVar, executive director for general administration for the district.

“We’re on the lookout,” she said.

The Olathe student code provides for disciplinary action on substances such as K2, even though it’s legal. LeVar said that the district has concerns about K2, similar to those they have with illegal substances such as marijuana.

“We’d deal with it pretty seriously,” LeVar said.

Officials from Lawrence schools said they aren’t aware of K2 showing up in schools, but that doesn’t mean local youth aren’t using the substance, said Kendall Heiman, director of Professional Treatment Services, a Lawrence-based substance abuse treatment center.

“It seems to have quite a presence in Douglas and Johnson counties,” she said.

Heiman said counselors at her agency have seen a “dramatic increase” in youths using the substance in the last month.

The substance doesn’t show up on a drug test, which makes it an attractive alternative to marijuana, she said.

Because K2 is legal in the United States, Lawrence police Sgt. Bill Cory said, that leaves it out of the bounds of law enforcement.

“We know it is out there but have not seen it. Since it is a legal substance there is not much we can do about it,” Cory said.

But that doesn’t mean K2 is safe, said Heiman, who cites a variety of issues raised by the substance.

For one, it’s relatively unstudied.

“There’s no one who really knows a whole lot about it,” she said.

Erickson said that the potential problems with K2 have Johnson County officials planning a proposal for a change at the state legislative level that would make K2 illegal.

“We’re just putting together a proposal,” said Erickson.

But that will take time, and Erickson said it’s important for parents to be aware of K2.

“If your kids have this and are using it, they’re getting high,” he said.

Comments

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

haww deng! my chance to get legally high! Yo! go k-state! nascar.

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 1 month ago

"Drug dependency"? Perhaps Mrs. Heiman needs to read up on her supposed area of expertise:

"Research has shown the overall addiction potential for cannabis to be much less than for tobacco, alcohol, cocaine or heroin. There is some evidence that dependence on cannabis might exist in some heavy users."

Yeah, woo -- that's a threat to society, there. Ban it, and ban anything that's remotely like it.

Ah, Kansas.

kugrad 5 years, 1 month ago

Just in case you kids didn't know about it or where to find it, the LJW is here to help!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

This will become a good case study for all those who want to legalize pot. If it is true that there would be less crime if pot was legalized, then K2 will prove them right. Or, prove them wrong.

"Research has shown the overall addiction potential for cannabis to be much less than for tobacco"

Keep in mind that "less addictive" doesn't equate to "less harmful".

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

It is definitely less harmful then cigarettes and alcohol. Keeping in mind that if one smokes anything, it is harmful to the lungs. Beyond that, the side-effects are gone once you clear up. There is no long-lasting effects of marijuana use.

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

The propoganda will now begin. Will the govt. lie as much about K2 as they have about marijuana?

Stuart Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

maybe if law enforcement and the government were honest with the public about the "dangers" of marijuana, kids would trust the authority more. it's awfully hard to get law enforcement to tell the truth though, considering the huge federal budgets they receive to fight this war against a plant (not to mention American citizens)

thank you for telling me where to purchase a synthetic legal pot.

Jimo 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm concerned that this article is written almost entirely with a focus on fear - kids getting drugs.

Is there any evidence that there's a problem with this substance and kids? If so, that it's more common than other drugs, alcohol?

I just become very suspicious when the only real argument some people have is an emotional appeal to irrational parental fears for their children's safety.

gsxr600 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't see what the deal is. Is there any credible reason to ban the substance? How about the school district stop allowing energy drinks in school? That stuff is mind altering too.

Stephanie Anderson 5 years, 1 month ago

Bet it will just give you a headache. Yup, better ban it...

promitida 5 years, 1 month ago

Gareth, did you just quote WIKIPEDIA? The same site that's credited with falsely declaring Sinbads death? Pick a better resource if you ever hope to prove a point.

Casey_Jones 5 years, 1 month ago

What exactly is a substance abuse provider?

Casey_Jones 5 years, 1 month ago

And, if you're comparing it to marijuana, it's actually pretty cheap, kids!

1029 5 years, 1 month ago

Man, that line is going to stretch all the way around the corner tomorrow.... (Let's use cash, people. Exact change if possible. Speed it up for your fellow human.)

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 1 month ago

what are they going to make paint illegal because people huff it...... come on people just let these people get high why are our lawmakers wasting time on this should they not be worried about balancing the budget ?

Christine Anderson 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I'm 45 and have never tried pot, but I have got to get me some of this!! I was always too scared of what my mother would do to me if she ever found out. LOL. Now, I think I'll get some and invite my 74 yr. old mom to join me. So, if this K2 looks like potpourri, can you put it in a cute little thing that burns potpourri and "inhale" it that way? I can just see it-a little ceramic gingerbread house wafting K2. Hee, hee,hee...

Tammie Bryant 5 years, 1 month ago

I cannot believe the JW just told us where to get legalized POT! For Crying out loud. Did you have to name the store and address?

WHY 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe law enforcement should be concerned with things that are against the law.

rabb 5 years, 1 month ago

"Gareth, did you just quote wikipedia? The same site that's credited with falsely declaring Sinbads death?"

Wikipedia was talking about Sinbad's career.

lluvsk 5 years, 1 month ago

I have to say that it's really sad that people are constantly trying to find the next great thing so they can alter reality. Having lost a child to the effects of drugs, I speak from a bit of experience. Instead of always trying to find that next "high", why don't you just realize that life isn't as bad as you think it is... It could always be worse. Ask me, I lost a child to drugs, I dealt with that reality.......and I've never been high.

Graczyk 5 years, 1 month ago

People don't get high because life sucks. People get high because it feels good and is fun. That escapism discourse is so "ABC After School Special."

Of course, if you get high too much then your life will suck.

tolawdjk 5 years, 1 month ago

Big day for the LJW. Sale at Kohl's, legal pot across town. Free advertizing to stimulate the local economy.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 1 month ago

You are right, I thought it was bad enough giving Kohl's free press, but Sacred Journey too? I hope Sacred Journey knows what they are getting into by selling this, ask Yellow House what it's like have the LPD watching you 24-7.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 1 month ago

Why isn't Marion here to complain about free advertising. Or is he selling this stuff on the internet with his other scams?

Green_Trees_Brown_Dirt 5 years, 1 month ago

In case, like me, you were wondering what K2 actually is, I did a little abstract because it appears our fair journalist decided not to run with much in the way of research or actual facts on the matter. We are forced to gloss that K2 is at one and the same time:

a "substance" an "herbal mixture" a "synthetic marijuana" (which I guess by default means that herbal and synthetic are the same) the "same type of thing" as marijuana something that "looks like potpourri" something that has "chemical properties that are similar to THC" something that has "quite a presence in Douglas and Johnson counties" an "attractive alternative to marijuana" something that "comes in a variety of flavors and potencies"

Interestingly, despite this mountain of information on K2, we also read that:

"it’s relatively unstudied", and "There’s no one who really knows a whole lot about it”

You can say that again. Thanks, LJ World! I'm ready to talk K2 with my kids now.

nschwerm 5 years, 1 month ago

awesome thanks for letting me know about this cool new drug and exactly where I can get it :)

cutny 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey!

There's this new stuff called ALCOHOL. And, get this, you can buy it all over this town.

Thousands of people kill others in car wrecks, or other incidents, every year after drinking it. Lots more just die from a lifetime, or less, of drinking it. Hundreds of underage people in this town buy it every day.

SO LET'S NOT PANIC!!!

Calliope877 5 years, 1 month ago

Eh. I'd lay money down that pot is better, but I don't have any money and I've never tried K2. I don't like the idea of it being partly created by a grad student in a university lab...that scares me for some reason.

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

RedRondaFAN 5 years, 1 month ago

Just want to put this out there...

As someone that has "experienced" this new, strange substance, I believe that it is an experience that all should try ;)

BTW, Shaun, speaking from experience...?

Monica Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

I can't decide if this is an article against it or just a commercial for it. If anyone didn't know about it, they do now and thanks to LJW they know where to get it and how much it is! Good lookin out LJ!

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

"Will “Honk for Hemp” be replaced with “Klap for K2”?"

That sounds like an STD commercial.

kidicarus 5 years, 1 month ago

"A responsible shop keeper would pull this off the shelves. Dr. Drew says most pot smokers have bipolar disorder. I wonder if a study has ever been done on suicide rates of potheads. I also wonder if government grant money went into it since it comes from a profesor and his student that created two synthetic cannabinoids at Clemson University."

No, a responsible shop keeper would attempt to stay in business by selling marketable goods. Dr. Drew? Good source.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 1 month ago

Dude what happened to the kids that were choking them selves to get high because they had nothing else ?

donsalsbury 5 years, 1 month ago

It must be a legal substance, because there's a free advertisement for it and the store that sells it, right in the Journal-World! Well done, journalists...

BrianR 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey, this could stimulate the economy by creating jobs for people who make pizzas and potato chips.

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 1 month ago

$10/gram? GEEESH. People better stick to regular old affordable pot.

compmd 5 years, 1 month ago

I should open a stand selling "pleasure herbs" for smoking, offering whatever the heck I find in a field. All I have to do is say is it is "just like pot" and morons will pay me for it and smoke it.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 1 month ago

This Is exactly why law enforcment will never win the "War on Drugs" (not like they really want to, then they would stop getting all the government funding), they are so freakin far out of touch!!!

I'd much rather be on the road next to someone that his "high" on fake pot (placebo effect), or even real pot than on the road with a drunk driver!

Ljworld: Please go find some real news. Lawrence PD: Please go find some real crime.. People that want to get high: Please go find some real pot...

jafs 5 years, 1 month ago

The guy who originally created the chemicals used said, in the linked article, that he thought it was probably more dangerous than pot.

He said the body would likely break down the chemicals into carcinogens when ingested.

That's the most important information I've read so far.

And, it is absurd that we allow smoking/drinking/caffeine, but want to ban other forms of mind-altering substances.

boothillbilly 5 years, 1 month ago

Aren't there a string of unsolved rapes in Lawrence?

But no, the moral sheep do not care about that, because of the off chance that little Timmy may be getting high to escape the perdition that is life in Kansas.

All making this stuff illegal will do is give politicians something to wave in front of their ignorant constituency that he is actually doing something. It is a cheap political ploy that will cost the state and county money.

Law enforcement will divert valuable resources and man-hours to enforcing a ban on this stuff, when they could instead be protecting the community from violent criminals.

Keep it legal and tax it. Divert the revenue from taxes to the schools, better equipment and training for law enforcement, rehab programs, fixing the streets, help for the homeless, or any number of social programs that are hurting financially. In other words: tax vice, don't legislate against it. Let the free market regulate itself. Isn't that respecting freedom and rational choice?

werekoala 5 years, 1 month ago

Otherwise, I'm inclined to think that the plot goes something like this:

1) Couple of stoners throw a secret blend of 11 herbs and spices into a bowl, light up, and get convinced they are high. 2) They print up a couple hundred labels for baggies, and convince a head shop to carry it. 3) Sales are slow, since you're trying to convince people to smoke lettuce when it's pretty easy to buy real pot instead. 4) They call up and leak a tip to the paper that this stuff is for sale and It Could Kill Your Children!!! (more at 11) 5) The cops get interviewed, and take their standard pose "We don't know anything about it, which means it's bad. Also, we need more money to fight this deadly menace." 6) Sales skyrocket, while dingbats like myself post hundreds of comments that are sure to change each other's minds. 7) The sellers make enough money to at least buy themselves real pot, the paper gets more page views, the store gets more purchases. Everyone wins except for the poor dumb 8th graders who fell for the hype and are now stuck listening to Dark Side of the Moon with nothing more than a headache.

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

This isn't any different than any other natural or newly created drug. A lot of this type of stuff starts out legal because the laws haven't been altered to cover it. I am sure with it containing cannabinoids it wont be legal for very long. If nothing else the use of it by minors will speed up the process. I just wonder how many people will lose their jobs by failing a drug test then complaining that what they were using was completely legal? Heehee, not much different than testing positive after eating poppy seed buns, etc.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

It does not show up on drug tests, so no one is going to fail anything.

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

werekoala (Anonymous) says… Man, everyone is going on about how great/terrible this drug is, with almost nothing to back it up. I've spent about 15 minutes trying to find ANY information on its exact chemical contents, effects, and come up short. Anyone having any better luck?

K2: contains a proprietary blend of herbs and extracts including: Canavalia rosea, Clematis vitalba, Nelumbo nucifera, Pedicularis grandifolia, Heimia salicifolia, Leonurus sibiricus and Ledum palustre.

werekoala 5 years, 1 month ago

All links I've found that discuss psychoactive properties of those plants are people in forums saying something like, "Yo dude, my sister's ex-boyfriend's roommate says that the ancient Mayans TOTALLY used to blaze up with this!"

I'd be interested to see what people who have tried it here in town have to say, but otherwise, my first instinct is it's a bunch of allegorical poppycock that takes advantage of gullible hippies.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

I have tried it. It does make you high, but it also gives a nasty headache. Stick to the natural plants only! Also, here's a link that I posted above as well, that describes what this substance is: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/11/18/what-is-synthetic-pot-and-whys-it-causing-heart-attacks-in-teenagers/

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

deathpenaltyliberal (Anonymous) says… “BigPrune (Anonymous) says… A responsible shop keeper would pull this off the shelves. Dr. Drew says most pot smokers have bipolar disorder.” Now there's a credible source, someone who makes money from hyping the dangers of addiction. Be afraid, be very afraid!

Not much difference here from the panic and fear of Salvia a while back. People were upset about it for a while but I think to date there have only been 11 states think it was bad enough to declare it illegal.

Just think. If the herbal and spice Nazi's were around back then we might not have Col. Sanders fried chicken. Those 11 different herbs and spices really kick some butt. It is such a powerful combination it just gave me the munchies just thinking about it.

boothillbilly 5 years, 1 month ago

Isn't banning and criminalizing natural herbs kinda like saying God messed up?

Shane Garrett 5 years, 1 month ago

Actually there was a post about K2 in yesterdays story under the weed story at Lonestar lake. So the LJW is like many hours behind the KC online paper.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 1 month ago

K2 contains two synthetic cannabinoids created at Clemson University. Chemistry professor John W. Huffman said an undergraduate student working in his lab actually created one of the compounds, called JWH-018 after Huffman’s initials.

Huffman…..LOL

Shane Garrett 5 years, 1 month ago

Available for sale online and at a store in Lawrence, K2 comes in a small pouch. Inside is a mix of dried herbs that look like oregano but are laced with chemicals designed to mimic the effects of marijuana. Other brands go by the names Spice, Genie and Zohai.

Because the active ingredients are just a few atoms away from the real thing, the synthetic stuff isn’t covered by laws banning marijuana. This means K2 and similar products are legal — even though the effects are identical to pot.

Johnson County police first discovered the drug was being used by ex-convicts on probation. They turned to K2 hoping it wouldn’t show up on drug tests as marijuana. Now police are finding it in high schools.

The Sacred Journey, a botanical store in Lawrence, sells bags of K2 for $15 to $30. A store manager declined to comment, but an employee said K2 should be burnt as incense and isn’t meant to be smoked. A competing brand is marketed online as “plant food.”

The Johnson County Crime Lab ran an analysis on K2. Although it tested negative for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, it was positive for synthetic cannabinoids. These are chemical compounds created in a lab that act on the brain like THC.

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

werekoala (Anonymous) says… Okay, so it looks like a legal equivalent of ditch weed. Not that I'm a botanist/chemist, but I couldn't find anything implying that any of those plants contained cannibinoids. Or really ANY information about the compounds they are theorized to contain, and their likely effects.

You are not going to find out much because the contents are a proprietary mixture but then so are humans, plants, and animals. That list all produce a certain amount of cannabinoids.

The very first ingredient, Canavalia rosea has been smoked as a substitute for Marijuana for sometime for aliments such as arthritis. Clematis vitalba has been used for morning wake up teas and as allertness boosters. Pedicularis grandifolia has been used as a seditive and also as an aphrodisiac. Most of the other stuff is more for smell or cheap filler. One is even a noxious weed that is more illegal because of that than the effects from smoking it.

somedude20 5 years, 1 month ago

"Heiman also has concerns that the high cost of the substance – which comes in a variety of flavors and potencies – will lead to more crime for those wanting to purchase it."

really, is that the best you have?

"And she sees the same potential issues with K2 as she sees with marijuana: negative health effects, impaired driving, poor decision-making and drug dependency"

That sounds like old age. Old age brings negative health effects, impaired driving, poor decision making and drug dependency. If you ask about drug dependency, I work in healthcare and some older Americans depend on more than 40 or more pills a day to stay alive

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

deathpenaltyliberal (Anonymous) says…

“BigPrune (Anonymous) says… "A responsible shop keeper would pull this off the shelves. Dr. Drew says most pot smokers have bipolar disorder.”

Now there's a credible source, someone who makes money from hyping the dangers of addiction."

I like Dr. Drew well enough, but a google search on the key words netted absolutely nothing suggesting anything such as that, and I'm pretty sure Somebody would have taken notice.

Perhaps BigPrune, with his history of half-truths; manipulated facts, statements, videos; and outright lies on this site would be good enough to provide a citation for his statement.

chevelle1986 5 years, 1 month ago

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

headdoctor (Anonymous) says… I just wonder how many people will lose their jobs by failing a drug test then complaining that what they were using was completely legal?

I guess I only have one eye open today. It doesn't show up on drug tests. Oh well, If it becomes a problem they will just modify the tests in the future.

werekoala 5 years, 1 month ago

Headdoctor - thanks for the info. I'm having fun with the idea, but I appreciate someone who tries to bring real information to the table.

Now I am off to rob some old ladies to support my K2 habit...

ldawg 5 years, 1 month ago

I'll take my chances with K2 over K3 (KKK) any day. thanks for the location and cost LJW. I am heading there now over my lunch hour. I can't wait for your next article on the process of how criminals are getting free money out of ATMs.

dirtyboss01 5 years, 1 month ago

What is the minimum age to purchase this product?

mistygreen 5 years, 1 month ago

Question: How is smoking this stuff any worse than a bunch of people sitting at a bar, house, where ever and drinking?

Here's another thing to think about. They are selling this stuff legally through retail. That means that the business owner is charging and paying sales tax. How can this be a bad thing?

lindZeyhavard 4 years, 6 months ago

for sure. thats the argument im always bringing up when people confort me about things.

whats the harm in a little weed or K-2 if the effects of it are simpily increasing your senseiblity in happieness..?

as to getting drunk and beating your wife or getting into an car acceident.

i think K-2 is a perfect alterative to weed, if you smoke, espeacilly if your being drug tested for any reason.

shaunepec 5 years, 1 month ago

dirtyboss01, You have to be 18 to buy it at the store. Not sure if that's a store policy, or a state law re: such substances

Shaun Hittle LJW Reporter

I_AM_AN_ANARCHIST 5 years, 1 month ago

“Heiman also has concerns that the high cost of the substance – which comes in a variety of flavors and potencies – will lead to more crime for those wanting to purchase it.”

It only takes two hits to get a high and there are three grams in a bag. so there are about 60 doses in a bag if you are smart about it. I love when things are outlawed by people who don't know anything about the substance or act at hand.

In the KC article they interviewed State Rep. Mast who hadn't heard about it until they called for the interview. she said “I would be very happy to sponsor a bill to make this illegal,”

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

This article is nothing but fear-mongering.
Am I watching Glenn Beck?

flux 5 years, 1 month ago

So is it any good or what? Does anyone have any first hand experience over second hand information?

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Errr. . . in the interest of science, I found it to work relatively well, for a buzz that lasted an hour or so. Potential placebo effects nonwithstanding.

It won't be legal for very long here, I imagine.

Satirical 5 years, 1 month ago

K2 is the new cause and solution to all of life's problems ; )

9070811 5 years, 1 month ago

And she sees the same potential issues with K2 as she sees with marijuana: negative health effects, impaired driving, poor decision-making and drug dependency. Sounds a lot like alcoholism.

If kids are getting high from it, it's just like getting drunk from alcohol.

Satirical 5 years, 1 month ago

jonas_opines...

Way to take one for the team jonas_opines, how altruistic of you!

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I'm just looking out for the children. And I happened to be downtown this morning.

Satirical 5 years, 1 month ago

jonas_opines... "Hey, I'm just looking out for the children."

(Hilariously witty response)

Yep, it's all about the children.

happy_go_lucky 5 years, 1 month ago

So did you smoke it jonas? And how much was it for a sack?

RKLOG 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm so sick hearing from these armchair Dr. Spocks who are (supposedly) just looking out for the children. Our society wouldn't know how to take care of our children if it was written on the kids foreheads. Enough already. The reality is that the more we take away from those that want something, the harder they go for it and eventually abuse it (do a Google and tell me I'm wrong). Let's start with that concept and move on from here.

somedude20 5 years, 1 month ago

They had a story on CNN/MSN/ (and yucky fox) stating that : "The latest Army statistics show a stunning 75 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law" http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/03/70-percent-of-young-americans-are-unfit-for-military-duty/

Good job moms and dads as you have done one hell of a job with your fat,lazy,dumb, and criminal children!!!!! Now watch out for that evil weed-like substance because that can cause the REAL harm, right?

RogueThrill 5 years, 1 month ago

$10 bucks a gram is a pretty good deal if it is comparable to a variety of Kush (which goes for about $20/g). If it's just schwag (~$1/g in bulk, i.e. $50 an ounce) it's a rip off.

It's also not like any of this is news. There are all sorts of legal substances that alter states, salvia being the easiest to name.

alm77 5 years, 1 month ago

jonas, for real, keep us posted. Again with the lengthy connections, my husband's co-worker's friends said the high is higher than pot.

I don't think pot should be illegal, but while it is, I won't smoke it. I don't wanna smoke anything made in a lab, legal or not.

Jaylee 5 years, 1 month ago

"K2 can be purchased at a downtown shop, Sacred Journey, 1103 Mass."

also salvia, fly agarics, etc. ill go in that store someday out of curiousity for all the insane things they sell, but this is crazy. ive never heard of this thing.

"...will lead to more crime for those wanting to purchase it."

if it's legal, it isn't criminal to acquire it, so i don't see how crime would play into it? unless it became a big deal like alcohol and tobacco, then the gov prohibited it.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Seriously, though, I have yet to have a single side effect at al;adskjasd;lgkjq3tpoid;ogkjc;lkb,mxb;laksdg;aklsdngao;ihr nqeknga;klsdngas;ldknvasp94jlaksdfmaWERWETRerytW QE$#%#$%^#$%$#%^Q$^W$%WETRGWREYT#$TQERTQE TFGA EfChthulhucomesiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaa!!!!

andyk 5 years, 1 month ago

my friend just said there was a long line for this, right after i got done saying they will be sold out tonight.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

Whoa! Spaced out there and woke up holding a damp clay effigy of something or another.

goofyboots 5 years, 1 month ago

Seriously people, is this really something we should be focusing our attention on??? The economy and our entire world is free falling fast and this is what our local newspaper can find to report on. How about we work on solving more important problems. Liquor and Tobacco cause more deaths and health problems than any other substance I have ever been exposed to. How the hell can you try to impose a ban on a plant that grows naturally throughout the world. The war on drugs should be with the crack and meths heads that cook up trash in their bathroom not something that grows naturally. Tobacco is a naturally grown plant that has been legally altered and then resold legally. Am I the only one that sees the tobacco company's want our money at the cost of our lives. If tobacco company's can get away with murder, why can't i smoke a little pot instead of the cancer stick sold at my local convenience store.

Corey Keizer 5 years, 1 month ago

You're either a Patient or a Junky, it only depends on who takes your money.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

Is K2 that big a deal? Hey sherriff rape and stolen checks need your attention now. Don't waste resources on K2.

Coffee is a mind altering substance which makes eyes stay open.

There are a lot of stolen business checks about Lawrence,Topeka and the JOCO metro. KCMO as well.

Too bad this did not make headlines. It might have saved bank accounts and large insurance pay outs.

These culprits have managed to write thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of checks.

Now this is illegal and also cleans out bank accounts and I would bet this ring was not smoking K2. However they have been purchasing tons of tobacco products. Tobacco products we know are addicting. I guess tobacco drove these people to steal hundreds of business checks.

What is more concern is that ID was not being demanded or verified. Maybe all business people should demand more strict rules for cashing checks and credit card use. A little inconvenient perhaps but so is losing thousands of dollars from a bank account. I am somewhat appalled at how easy it is to pay with checks and credit cards.

Please business people exercise a little inconvenience. It's a good bang for the buck.

Now really how important is K2?

RogueThrill 5 years, 1 month ago

I thought I would also pint out that you can buy NO2 cartridges at the Bay Leaf. You can't get a cracker and balloons there but you can buy a whip cream dispenser, which is much better in IMHO.

They deserve a little promotion too and whippets are pretty good.

ClaroAtaxia 5 years, 1 month ago

Real, high grade marijuana is safer than this junk. The problem with K2 and other synths, is that they essentially just coat some raw plant material with the synthetic chemical, thus you are inhaling much harsher smoke than that of highly potent marijuana (the more potent, the less smoke one has to take in, the healthier). A google search easily yields reports of ppl saying K2 is a very harsh smoke. If we legalized and regulated marijuana ppl wouldn't have mess around with 'legal' alternatives that are much more dangerous.

Calliope877 5 years, 1 month ago

jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…

LOL

sundancewierdo 5 years, 1 month ago

compmd (Anonymous) says…

"I think the real story here is that people are stupid enough to put an unknown chemical practically directly into their bloodstream, without even considering any potential risks or consequences to their health."

Does that include people who eat at any fast food joint? Eat frozen pizza? Or anything out of a box that goes right in the oven?

mrf 5 years, 1 month ago

So when are we going to smoke some?

hwarangdo 5 years, 1 month ago

Farrr out! I thought K2 was a mountain in Tibet ... banana leaves anyone?

Jcjayhawk1 5 years, 1 month ago

Who says it's a drug? On what authority?

Menazort 5 years, 1 month ago

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln (1809-65), U.S. President. Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representative

Jon_Stewart 5 years, 1 month ago

I have tried the Summit (pictured) and the citron blends of K2. Besides taste differences (citron tasted like an orange spice pie), I could hardly tell a strength difference. The high seems to last a little less than that of pot, but is definitely more potent. As for it being too expensive? The lowest quality blend is $15 for an eighth an ounce (three grams), and the highest is $30. Compared to quality pot, that's pocket change. Makes me wonder what our local drug-enforcers and combatants really know. My guess is only what they learn from propaganda commercials, but I might be wrong. Who knows, maybe they've listened to Dr. Drew and Bill O'Reilly, too.

Jon_Stewart 5 years, 1 month ago

"Do the people that are worried kids will see this ad and go buy some really think the kids that want to be cool and get high read the newspaper?" -bigmike

You'd be surprised how aware of and into current events the 19-25 year old stoner crowd in Lawrence is. Heck, you'd be surprised by WHO some of the that crowd is.

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

"You'd be surprised how aware of and into current events the 19-25 year old stoner crowd in Lawrence is."

Since all of those would be of legal age for most things, I don't think that is probably the demographic of kids under concern.

junkey67 5 years ago

Look guys i have tried this k2 and i can take only 3 hits and be stoned but with marijuana it takes me a good joint if not two to get the same high ok you dont know jack s until you try it but honestly if they make this s ilegle then i will go on strike lol but yea dont judge it until you try it and no it doesnt give you a head ake or any stupid s*** like that GO K2 LOVERS!!!!!!!!!!

_BaRcLaY_1 2 years, 9 months ago

ive tried k2 it didnt give me a head ache but it gave me a panic attack after a hit and a half i cant smoke k2 buti can smoke weed

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

It gave me a migraine! And it tastes nasty. Also, use spell-check next time so people might take your comments more seriously...seriously.

donuthater 5 years ago

bullsh*t, what employees did you try to interview? you never asked to interview me.

Auntee 4 years, 11 months ago

Totally agree, two hitter quitter! I like it, it doesn't have a strong funky odor, it doesn't make me cough, no headache, only the munchies! New school smoke. Peace, love and light

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't get it...... so people can dry banana peals and smoke them to get high, are police going to claim bananas need to be outlawed next?

just leave K2 it a lone, I am sure there are more pressing issues to deal with in Kansas.

Its not like there is a huge Mexican cartel of K2 runners........

rincline 4 years, 10 months ago

Well let me tell you all something. My wife and I spent the night in an emergency room with our two boys and a friend of theirs that got this K2 from a smoke shop. We were awaken about midnight from our son screaming and freaking out. Two of them were totally shaking and freaking, heart rates were thru the roof, one boy --you could see his heart beating thru his chest. We called 911, the paramedics arrived and found the one boys heart rate at 180. the others about 160. They were all transported to hospital to stabalize all them. It took sevearl hours for the highest level to even come down slightly. It was a nightmare and one of the scariest nights of our lives. I do not want this to happen to anyone. No one knows the true facts about this drug and the long term side effects. It is what I understand very new to the recreational drug market. It is going to take a death or two before anyone wakes up. We were told by the doctor that anyone with any type of heart condition or defect would surely have died from such a rush to the heart.

Fixed_Asset 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure your trip to the ER was very frightening, rincline, however, my guess is the boys were doing more than K2.

xXUzellesXx 4 years, 10 months ago

lluvsk, ok so first of all K2 is NOT a drug and further more neither is marijuana.....the only reason that pot is illegal in the states is because it is supremely impossible to tax it because of so much growth over the years.....second of all people that strictly smoke pot and do nothing else never look for the next "high" as you say......weed is weed.....thats it K2 is not weed although it has simular effects it does NOT promote dependency or lead to harder drugs........thats my piece so stick that in my pipe and ill smoke it!

youenveme 4 years, 10 months ago

Thank you Uzelles! Please school some of these people that dont have a clue. I think they should just leave it alone. These "officials" are just pissed that it's legal. It's not a freaking drug, it's an herb. You can grow it. You don't have to mix it with water, or baking soda, or cough syrup, or boil it in order to make it work. There are no cases of anyone overdosing on just marijuana alone. Weed doesn't make you wig out and go rob and beat someone unless it's consumed with a drug and/or alcohol. Weed is a downer, it can make you sleepy and/or hungry, but not beligerent. @rincline, your boys and their friends were smoking a lot more than just K2. Have a little more control in your household and know what your children and their friends are doing in their room with the door closed and locked!!

dragonfly73wf 4 years, 10 months ago

This is for the comment made in November from Graczyk...

"Getting high is not used to lessen the pain? People get high because of wanting to get high?" Or you blinded?! I am a recoverying addict and hear it daily "I cant stand the pain anymore!" At the beginning yes people choose to get high to have fun and to "get high". But, once you get into it and the emotional roller coaster of using mild altering substances ..everything around you goes blank. Emotionally bankrupted and then you start using to not feel anymore! As far as K2, it needs to be taken off the shelf. I have seen recoverying addicts go from years clean to losing everything quick. Wife, kids, freedom and sometimes it led them to bigger drugs (that they missed so much or curious about) and died! So, you guys say that this is not harmful? That it is JUST an herb...WAKE UP!!!

outlander 4 years, 10 months ago

This is for the comment made by dragonfly73wf on Feb 13, 2010

I think that comments made by agents of the DEA and such should be made honestly and not covertly as thought they were real people with real stories. Shame on you...

dbieon12 4 years, 10 months ago

So what is funny about this video is that the parents' concern for their children may do more harm than good.

Right now, I have no idea what K2 is but from the descriptions it's a "synthetic marijuana".

So the parents would rather have their kids buy weed from someone who may or may not be a 'businessman' at heart than from a store who has a license to sell certain products. Right...

numchuk 4 years, 10 months ago

This is the first time I have heard of this type of drug. I don't think it has started yet here in Iowa

speedy4 4 years, 10 months ago

So why did a Proff develope this stuff? To study the effects of mary jane on the brains of mice?? Why waste time and money ( my taxes i'm sure) why not just smoke some mary with them then study their brains. This is why college educated people piss me off . All that education and they still do things the hard way the longer way and they waste our taxes not to mention now theirs a new drug oh my my Had he just studied the effects of the real thing we would not have this issue for he would have found there is not difference in taken a xanan and burning a big fat one geeezzzzz.

nhouchin 4 years, 9 months ago

I believe that this article is a way for the government to see how quickly they can sell this stuff. Yes, I have tried it. No, it does not show up on a THC test. Think about it; they put the address in the article yet they are saying it is just as bad a weed! The more people buy it the more tax the government knows they can charge. I believe it is a way for the government to figure out whether or not to legalize weed. I say do it! I have seen people become very violent while drinking but I have never seen violence with someone that was high on weed.....go figure it's illegal. Wouldn't want to lower the crime rate :)

bulletproof59 4 years, 9 months ago

This is cool! I just heard about K2 yesterday. Then again I do live in Michigan & guess I'm just a little PRE-LITERATE about this stuff! I am however willing to learn! A couple of the above "Comments" really caught my eye & I would like to respond to them if you'all don't mind my Michiganian point of view! The one that really hit me was from MISPLACEDCHEESEHEAD! Are you from Wisconsin? Anyhow, that was a GREAT COMMENT! HEE HEE HEE! My Mom just turned 70, I'm 50. Hey let's introduce our Mom's, tell 'em it's smokable pot-pourri (ha-ha!). I'll bring my daughters, 30 & 22 & we'll just have a GOOD'OLL FAMILY PIC'A'NIC!! Government worrying about balancing the BUDGET? Come on, you know they can do that at any given moment! Just give 'em a SCALE, let'em BALANCE OUT A FEW GRAMS! As far as DEA AGENTS go, I think they should smoke something constructiive! Try starting with CABBAGE, OR BROCCOLI! That don't work, go on to SPINACH or CORN-COBS! That FAILS TRY SOME PENCIL SHAVINGS! I'm sure there'll be a little PENCIL-LEAD mixed in to give it that certain SPICE! HA-HA! Just kidding now ALL you DEA JOCKIES! Don't go gettin' yer GEEKY PENCIL-NECKS in an UP-ROAR now!! Man! I Just know I'm gonna BURN NOW! HA-HA! THANK-YOU ALL & HAVE WONDERFULly HIGH day! HA-HA! I'm gonna go clean out my PENCIL SHARPENER!! HA-HA!!

Trquizo 4 years, 9 months ago

Trquizo 4 years, 9 months ago

groovyjules 4 years, 9 months ago

I guess what is truly puzzling me, is the fact that we allow synthetics but don't allow the natural. Do we not think that God knows what he is doing? Why are the synthetics better than the real thing? Come on people, get off your pot head behinds and fight just to make it legal. I don't believe in "drugs" but hell, this is a natural thing that was placed upon this earth, and has so many uses that benefit man. Why make something that is "almost" as good? Just throwing some food for thought out there!

RideOrDie27 4 years, 7 months ago

my high school is starting to drug test us next year. Im very pissed about it cuz i smoke weed several times a week and weeds my thing, it helps u out. this stuff better be just as good, i havnt tried it yet but my friends have and said its pretty much just as good as pot

xrayser 4 years, 3 months ago

NattyBumpo 3 years, 7 months ago

Geeeze, some of these comments are laughable.....lol It seems that pot-heads, stoners and space cadets come out of the woodwork any time something comes along that they hope "justifies" or permits them to get high, and K2 is obviously no exception. If you argue that alcohol is legal, and so too then should be K2, I would simply say that booze is illegal for minors because it kills people (often innocent victims of drunk drivers) and otherwise destroys lives in people too irresponsible or ignorant to use it in moderation, ie: kids... Same applies to K2. And as far as it being legal in Lawrence is concerned; have you sepnt much time in Lawrence lately? Not good.... Look people (or should I say "dudes"), get a life and try doing something productive; Spending 1/2 (or all) your time f--ked up ain't it.... Believe me, I know. My family was shattered thanks to someone with alcohol and drug addiction. So if you're thinking: "this guy is prejudist, you'd be correct. Sorry about that... When you grow up ("if" you ever grow up), you'll understand.... And no, I'm not a cop or some kind of politician. I'm a guy who's been around the block about a million times, and has seen the truth.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

The truth that alcohol is much more harmful in every way then marijuana is? How about cigarettes? You would be surprised who smokes that you never would have guessed. People in power; people who are very successful; people who live productive lives. There are drugs and then there is a plant. Two separate issues that should not be treated the same.

4Sir2Ganja0 2 years, 9 months ago

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm very sorry for your family, rincline. My cousin-in-law had something very similar happen to him off of K2. The reason this happened is they took way too much. Unlike the real thing, in which you cannot overdose, this substance binds to the receptors in your brain more completely (fills them in fact). When this threshold is passed, it causes an overdose. That is why I believe anything natural should be legal and synthetic chemicals should not be.