Commissioners will consider a proposal to begin work on building an addition to the former Carnegie Library building at Ninth and Vermont streets.
As part of the 2010 city budget, commissioners approved an increase in the city’s transit bed tax that will provide $500,000 to the Carnegie project during the next 10 years. The city also has various grants and reserve funds that have been set aside to help fund the $1.5 million project. The expansion would be to the north of the building, and would allow the building to meet accessibility requirements. The commission has said it wants to use the building to house the offices of the Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area. There also would be space to be used by the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department to host receptions, public meetings and other events designed to draw people downtown.
• Proclaim Monday, Nov. 10 as Celebrate Marine Corps Birthday.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set a bid opening date of Nov. 24 for installation of new siding and insulation on the Landscape Division Shop.
• Adopt these ordinances on second and final reading:
a. Ordinance No. 8463, for Comprehensive Plan Amendment to Chapter 3 to remove the Table of Land Use Categories & Locational Criteria.
b. Ordinance No. 8464, for Comprehensive Plan Amendment to renumber the Implementation Chapter to be 17 and reserve Chapter 13 for future use.
• Authorize staff to negotiate an engineering services agreement with Professional Engineering Consultants for preliminary engineering services for Project UT0919CS - General Wastewater Pumping Station Improvements.
• Receive request from Shane Powers for a bicycle rickshaw business license; refer to staff for a report.
• Receive Downtown Lawrence Inc.’s third quarter report.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Conduct public hearing to consider the vacation of 15 feet of right-of-way south of 12th Street adjoining the west 75 feet of Lot 142 on New York Street, as requested by Cindy Suenram and Arch Naramore.
• Receive status report for reconstruction of Kasold Drive, 31st Street to Clinton Parkway, Project No. PW0903, KDOT Project 023U-2231-01. Direct staff concerning road construction plans, as appropriate.
• Receive the city’s third quarter budget report, city budget status report, and staff memo regarding employee longevity payments.
• Receive staff memo regarding the Carnegie building rehabilitation bid date.
• Consider setting a bid date of Dec. 1 for Bid No. B09067, Project UT0810DS Phase 1 of 2008-2009 Watermain Replacement Program; Iowa Street, University Street, Orchard Lane, Yale Road and Westdale Road.