Letters to the Editor

No room

November 1, 2009

To the editor:

Who told the school board that there is room in the high schools for freshmen? I am curious as to where they got this information. As a sophomore at Lawrence High, I know firsthand there is not enough room for freshmen. During passing period, the halls are so crowded that students are packed in like sardines, which makes getting to our classes on time very difficult.

The classrooms are so crowded that every seat is occupied, and the desks are so close together they are basically all one big table. I have talked to my friends at Free State, and they say the situation is the same there. Where will they put the freshmen classes? There are no empty rooms at Lawrence High, and I suspect there are not any empty rooms at Free State, either.

I do not think I could have handled the pressures of high school as a freshman. On the other hand, I do think freshmen are too old for the pettiness of junior high.

I propose we either leave everything as it is, open a new school just for freshmen, or bring back the alternative school. In my opinion, bringing back the alternative school is our best bet. There are so many students at Lawrence High and Free State who could really benefit from the alternative school. It would get those students the help and attention they need to succeed. Additionally, it would open up space in the high schools for freshmen to attend.

Comments

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

Reasonable thinking.

How about the virtual school building? Is it accessible?

With more virtual schoolers why not encourage students who are performing well to go the virtual school route.

With more students doing schools such as Bishop Seabury is there really a problem?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

I think we should bring back the Guild where a young person could be an apprentice for a number of years and learn brick laying, how to wire a house, plumbing, cooking, etc. This system worked well for a long time.

AliceBarnes 5 years, 1 month ago

Hahaha Irish, I like the way you think.

Kathleen Schweitzberger 5 years, 1 month ago

As someone who attended LHS when there was only 1 high school I know that the hallways are not so crowded as you state. We had close to 1600 students for soph-sr classes and the current LHS population is smaller. And I know the school population got even larger before Lawrence built Free State. It may be true about Free State with a more recent design but not LHS. I can't speak to the crowded classrooms except they may not have enough teachers. I also don't know if they removed classrooms that used to exist but there is no way the halls became narrower.

As to your statement about freshmen being ready, I might have questioned it in the past but most schools have gone to that model and it does work.

Plurilingual 5 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps if students would get their necessary materials and get to class (instead of loitering), the halls wouldn't be so crowded.

commuter 5 years, 1 month ago

I do know that LHS Annex is being used for Admin purposes, could they move thos epeople to the Virtual School & have room for freshmen.

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

barrypenders, nice connection...not. This is a letter about local schools. Try a different forum.

The letter writer brings a unique perspective as a current student. It's nice that she has taken an interest, because none of us could know exactly how crowded the schools seem from a student's perspective.

One thing I question, though, is just how difficult it would be for 9th-graders to go to school with people in grades 10-12. When I went to high school 20 years ago, my school district's high schools were grades 9-12. It seemed to work fine. Don't most school districts do it that way?