Archive for Friday, May 29, 2009

Father of 2 sets of twins prepares for 4th deployment

Army Capt. Patrick Stuber's fourth deployment feels a little bit different, now that he is father to two sets of twins.

May 29, 2009

Pat Stuber, a KU graduate and currently an army captain with the Tennessee Army National Guard, greets three of his children Thursday at the hangar of his father Al Stuber, far left, at the Lawrence Municipal Airport. Stuber is preparing for his fourth deployment which could be Iraq or Afghanistan. It will be his first deployment since his children, two sets of twins, were born. Hugging Stuber from left are Elaine, 22-months and Ben and Nick, 3. At left with Stuber's father Al, of Lawrence, is his 22-month-old daughter Alida.

A Kansas University graduate is preparing to make his fourth deployment to the front lines of war.

But this time, things will be a bit different for the Tennessee Army National Guard commander. It’s his first tour of duty since the births of his two sets of twins, 1-year-olds Elaine and Alida, and 3-year-olds Nick and Ben.

“It’ll be a new experience,” said Patric Stuber, 39, of Memphis.

And to be quite honest about it, the 1998 KU history graduate said he hopes there’s not a fifth tour of duty.

“It’s a glorious profession and I really enjoy it, but with the children now, hopefully this will be my last one,” Stuber said.

The Army captain’s been deployed to Iraq twice, Bosnia once and will leave for Iraq or Afghanistan sometime between December and March. He serves as a troop commander of an armored cavalry unit.

Patric Stuber will leave his four children and wife, Susan, also a KU graduate, at home in Memphis during his tour.

“There’s a lot more riding on him coming home safely,” Susan said. “What he does is important, so we’ll get through it; it’ll just take a little more organization.”

When Stuber returns home, he said he hopes to stay in America for good, teach ROTC and spend time with his kids.

Stuber was recognized Thursday at a Lawrence Kiwanis Club luncheon. His father, Al, is a member and proudly wore a T-shirt listing his son’s deployments.

“It gets easier every time,” Al Stuber said of his son’s pending deployment.

Comments

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 3 months ago

Stay safe, Patric and thank you for your service.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 3 months ago

We all wait for your safe return. The kids are adoreable. God bless.

LHS1980 5 years, 3 months ago

It's not easy to leave the ones you love and deploy..I hope its boring for you, may your time go by fast.

lily 5 years, 3 months ago

God Bless and thank you. You have a beautiful family.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope his wife has family near by or who can come help her with the kids. One set of twins is enough to keep a two parents on their toes. I can't imagine 2 sets, especially that young. I also hope the older set are potty trained before Patric leaves. Otherwise, that is a LOT of diaper-changing.

gogoplata 5 years, 3 months ago

samsnewplace 5 years, 3 months ago

Why a 4th time? Hasn't he done more than his share? I know life is not fair but to have to go a 4th time just seems so unfair to me. God be with you and I hope the time flies until you are back with your family again.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

Sounds horrifying to me, especially after seeing the movie "Stop-Loss". I am very interested in why some soldiers have severe mental difficulties after going though multiple deployments and others seem to breeze though it. Soldiers do get maimed and killed in war, and I do not like this cheerleader, rah, rah, rah, yea, our boys are marching off to war, attitude.

jaywalker 5 years, 3 months ago

Godspeed and God Bless, Captain Stuber.

DGlaw 5 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for your service! To bad that when you return your own government will classify you as a "home grown terrorist". Before everyone gets all upset,PLEASE do your homework!! DHS stated "homegrown terrorists" are "x-military and those who believe in the constitution" According to DHS!! (dept. of homeland security) Wanna know more? Google----The Obama Deception

errita 5 years, 3 months ago

Good luck Patrick! Thank you for your service!

sinverguenza 5 years, 3 months ago

DGlaw -

Puh- lease. You're a little behind, and a little lacking on comprehension.

The DHS report (which was quite similar to other reports about "liberal" home-grown terrorists) does not say that ex-military and those who believe in the Constitution are home-grown terrorists.

Way to try to be a victim, though!

Good luck to the Stuber family.

DGlaw 5 years, 3 months ago

SINVER< I'm not the victim, just the informed! You "the sheeple" are the victim! Thanks for your input though. Have a nice day!

salad 5 years, 3 months ago

"I'm not the victim, just the mis-informed!"

fixed

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

gogoplata (Anonymous) says…

"I'd need a better reason if I was going to spend that much time away from my wife and kids."

Then don't go. Captain Stuber evidently believes he has all the reason he needs. And apparently his family agrees.

Thank you, Captain Stuber, and family, for all of your sacrifices.