Emporia State University will use a Lawrence architectural firm, Treanor Architects P.A., to design the $18.5 million renovation of the Memorial Union, following a series of meetings with ESU students, staff and Emporia residents. The renovation includes:
• Creation of new student lounge space and performance area;
• Renovation of the current student cafeteria;
• An addition on the east side of the building featuring a new entrance, information center and admissions office;
• Redesigned entrances to the building’s west, south and east sides;
• Redesigned meeting spaces and traffic patterns inside the building; and
• Environmentally friendly improvements to the building’s heating, ventilation and cooling systems.
Construction of project’s first phase is scheduled to begin next spring, and the total project is slated to be complete by fall 2012.