Letters to the Editor

Near tragedy

May 10, 2009

To the editor:

Last Monday at 5 p.m., a young girl on a bicycle blew through a stop sign at Belle Haven and 27th Street Terrace, causing me to slam on my brakes and send my groceries flying. That she didn’t react to the loud screeching of my tires is — I presume from the earbuds in her ears — because her iPod was jacked up to full volume.

Thank God I didn’t hit her. Had I not been able to stop, I likely would have ended her life, ruined her parents’ lives and also my own.

Parents, please remind your bike-riding children to be vigilant and obey all traffic signs. You might also tell them that their ears, as well as their eyes, can warn them of danger.

Goff is from Lawrence

Comments

onrywmn 5 years, 2 months ago

Marsha,

The same thing happened to me at Crossgate and Clinton Parkway awhile back, only it was an adult on a bike with no Ipod. Thankfully I noticed him in time.

Bicyclists and motorists alike - we need to be aware of our surroundings at all times to keep us all safe.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow, sounds like a close one. Hope you didn't have any eggs in your car.

repaste 5 years, 2 months ago

In my many, ,many miles on a bike I have looked up to see a driver that saved my life more than once. Thank You!! I try to abey the law, wear a helmet, and never wear ear buds. I have had close calls with joggers with ear buds, they are not safe on the road. Thank you drivers for looking out for us bikes - 98% of the close calls I have had were the car driver, not mine. Look out for the bikes, we appreciate it, and some of us will look out for you.

repaste 5 years, 2 months ago

I bet most of us have done something like it when we were young, it is a kid, not stupid, unless we were born big and oh so smart. Wow!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

you forgot the "Henry" in your name.

glad you were paying such close attention to your driving.

see a lot of joggers/bikers with the ear buds up so loud I can hear them as I walk by! sad. not only are they sacrificing situational awareness and thus their safety, they can't hear the birds, the wind in the trees, the child that passes by them.

narcissistic society.

Left_handed 5 years, 2 months ago

Where's the outcry for a law to ban the use of ipods while bike riding? Come on, libtards, get that nanny state protection machine in high gear and protect us before it's too late.