Letters to the Editor

Weedy street

May 1, 2009

To the editor:

The city of Lawrence should be ashamed to have the median of a major thoroughfare, Kasold Drive, filled from edge to edge with thick masses of yellow, then white, dandelions year after year.

Schild is from Lawrence

Comments

lounger 6 years ago

Is this a Joke? Dandys are great in your salad and the roots can cure a host of ailments. I bet your granny brewed up some dandy wine or knew someone in her time that did.

I think leaving the dandys alone is splendid. Dumping poison in the air and ground for ANY reason is shameful if not criminal especially to kill our friends the Dandys.

Let the dandys be free...and take a vacation maybe.

Tony Holladay 6 years ago

Easy Joyce, The city might just put a thin layer of micro asphalt over it. What would you rather be staring at? Pavement with sand and trash on it or a little bit of color? :)

chelseadonoho 6 years ago

O H M Y G O D D ANDELIONS IM SO ASHAMED .... are you serious?

RoeDapple 6 years ago

I remember being a 7 year old in 1955 I was embarrassed that my father asked my friends and I to pick dandelion greens for our supper. He fried up a couple of pounds of bacon, poured the resulting grease (and who knows what else) over the washed greens, shrinking them down to a fraction of what they were and set them on the table. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

A more modern recipe

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

Welcome to Lawrence. Not the only city with dandelions, just people who are ashamed of them.

If they were offered at a "health nut" store, she would pay by the pound for the same thing. Oh well...

number3of5 6 years ago

As for recipes, don't forget dandelion jelly, batter fried dandelion blossoms, or batter fried unopened blossoms. Great survival foods for those who cannot afford to shop at the local grocery store.

webmocker 6 years ago

Shame on you, City of Lawrence, for allowing flowers to grow, and worse, go to seed, in public view. What are you thinking? Where are your priorities? Oh, the humanity!

fruitfly 6 years ago

if these were rare orchids it would be different, right? who decides what are weeds and what are flowers?

John Kyle 6 years ago

Move to a city which doesn't have spring

cthulhu_4_president 6 years ago

"The city of Lawrence should be ashamed....."

Oh I am, each and every day I come on here.

mablehazel 6 years ago

OK this is ridiculous! Dandy's are not hurting anyone. If she is so darn bothered by them, then she should go to the local greenhouse and buy some plants which are more suitable in her eyes and plant them her darn self.

My goodness, arguing about the dandy's. Who cares, go back to the stuck up materialistic town you came from and shut up. The residents and city of Lawrence are not required to "Keep up with the Jones'!"

scaramouchepart2 6 years ago

another good use for dandilions. It makes a great and cheap wine. But the headache goes with it.

earline james 6 years ago

With this 5% paycut looming, I may have to eat these greens again (we did, back when I was a kid). Also, there was an article in last Sunday's paper about living off the land, or something, and it got me wondering; What are the fish and game regs for hunting squirrel and rabbits? Would I need a hunting license? Can a eat the critters in my yard? I've eaten them before, when I was a kid and my dad used to hunt (always in the fall - and never in the back yard, so I'm guessing there are rules about these things). If it ever stops raining I'll plant my tomatoes - and maybe this year I'll win the battle with the squirrels (because I'll be cooking and eating them)! Maybe I can get a bb gun at the new WalMart.
(20 minute break over. Back to work before someone lashes out about me goofing off on their tax money.)

Judgesmails 6 years ago

Joyce, You should be ashamed for writing a whiny LTE crying about dandelions.

Get a life- or go spray them yourself.

classclown 6 years ago

Weeds in median Teenagers should pick them all Says Richard Heckler

BigPrune 6 years ago

The reason these weeds are allowed to grow is because Lawrence adopted a no weed kill policy because the people who pushed this issue promised to volunteer and pick the weeds.

Of course these wackos were all talk and no action, thus the weeds.

I think they are ugly and agree with the letter writer. All these weeds everywhere makes our city look like crap. Another positive action implimented by the former Progressive controlled city commission.

Dayle Hodges 6 years ago

OMG!!!!!!! I wish a few dandelions growing on the median was all I had to complain or be concerned about!!

classclown 6 years ago

Park old Chevy there And complete town's ensemble A redneck city

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years ago

If it bothers you that much, go spray them! Thank you, Lynn

dandelion 6 years ago

Well ,it's obvious how I feel about this snobby lady. What a bigot. What does she have against us dandelions? We're tough, and we're never going away, so live with it. Yellow rules!!!! A big wet raspberry to you lady.

Kyle Reed 6 years ago

beobachter: "I'm waiting for Tom to show up and blame the dandelions on all the liberals living here."

Yet instead of it being Tom that injects politics into an completely unrelated article it was you. Congratz on being the butt of your own joke.

A more on topic note: I don't see why anybody should give a hoot if there are dandelions in the median. If you really think we should all be ashamed or that it makes Lawrence look like "a trailer park" you should probably shut up and quit being so judgemental.

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years ago

"classclown (Anonymous) says… Weeds in median Teenagers should pick them all Says Richard Heckler"

Classclown FTW!

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

Was it the Germans that brought them here?? I think that is true.... so blame my family..... of course I am a mutt, so don't get carried away with it.

RoeDapple 6 years ago

If it wasn't for dandelions, thistles, chickweed and clover my yard would look like a construction zone! Oh yeah it does..... Well maybe if I added a few cars and pickups with the hoods up and engines missing. Oh, wait............ Umm, maybe a couple of rusted swingsets and.......got it. Well if the cousins all moved in with their 23 kids.......... Anybody know where I can find a used Ford Escort? Seems I've misplaced mine....

PeachiePie 6 years ago

Wow! I wish the only thing I had to worry about was those pesky dandelions growing in the medians on Kasold.... I hope she never drives down our street....we all have dandelions in our yards and could really care less, because we are concentrating on things like our families and careers....

Dandelions, if you're listening...when you turn fuzzy and white, make sure your seeds blow right into her lawn. That will give her something constructive to do! Scratch that....it will give her LAWN SERVICE something to do for her so she can continue to traverse the streets of Larryville and post her hypercritical comments about how nature is invading our fair town in the LJW....

mylassie3 6 years ago

If anyone is still reading this thread...

what if?

instead of suggesting we eat the dandelions we've been driving by and poisoning with air pollutants, or that our teenagers pick them, or that we pour or spray any kind of poisonous herbicide...

what if?

instead of blaming someone else, or criticizing others for their opinions, or turning this into a political argument, or missing the point altogether...

what if?

a few adults quietly, anonymously, cooperated and dug some of them up and planted, of all things...

wildflowers

Wouldn't it be pretty?

mylassie3 6 years ago

P.S. Do any of you remember May Day as a child... taking flowers to your neighbor's doorstep early in the morning and knocking? By the time they came to the door you had hidden and they didn't know who left the lovely flowers to brighten their day! And it felt good to do something nice as a surprise for someone, and it became a part of who you were. (We wove paper baskets and filled them with picked flowers from our yards and hung them on the neighbor's doorknob.)

Thank you, Pywacket, for sharing that poem.

Angela Heili 6 years ago

I've never tried dandelion salad. I may have to do that. We always try to introduce new foods to the kids, so this may be a fun one to try.

Does anyone else remember, as a kid, pulling the tiny purple flowers of the henbit in the spring and tasting the nectar that was at the very bottom of them? I can't tell you how many of those things my sister and I ran around picking! lol