Archive for Friday, May 1, 2009

Lawrence police investigating death at Naismith Hall

May 1, 2009, 9:46 a.m. Updated May 1, 2009, 3:29 p.m.

Police investigating body found at Naismith Hall

An 18-year-old man was discovered dead Friday morning at Naismith Hall near the Kansas University campus. Enlarge video

An empty stretcher is brought out of Naismith Hall as Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical respond to a report of a man found dead at Naismith Hall Friday morning. No foul play is suspected.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical investigate a report of a man who was found dead at Naismith Hall Friday morning. Foul play is not suspected.

Lawrence police are investigating the death of a Lawrence teenager who was found Friday morning in Naismith Hall, 1800 Naismith Drive.

A police spokeswoman said Friday that foul play is not suspected. The teenager’s name was being withheld pending notification of his family in both Lawrence and Kansas City.

Friday night, the spokeswoman said the notification process was still ongoing, and police had no timeline for when it would be completed.

The deceased is not a Kansas University student, but because of the number of students who live in Naismith Hall and its proximity to campus, KU is making counselors available to students.

Naismith Hall is a private, off-campus residence hall and not part of KU’s Department of Student Housing.

Comments

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 7 months ago

Well of course Don! The only info here is 1. Dead 2. Man 3. Naismith Hall 4. "no" foul play. This isn't a news story yet, it is an up-to-the-second teaser that'll keep some coming back all day to see what unfolds.

classclown 8 years, 7 months ago

Too many deaths at KU. Shut the place down.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 7 months ago

Another death? Hmm, I don't really like that.

feeble 8 years, 7 months ago

Naismith Hall is privately owned, and not operated by KU. Too many deaths in privately owned and operated properties! shut them down!

Deja Coffin 8 years, 7 months ago

Let the speculations begin...............my guess is a male who isn't a student died at Naismith hall somehow.

But seriously this is a person of someone's family and I am very sorry for their loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this gentleman.

sizzleplate 8 years, 7 months ago

roger you forgot one: 5) not a KU student

eotw33 8 years, 7 months ago

OK, time to reopen Last Call, it was better when all the deaths/crimes were concentrated to that building

TheYetiSpeaks 8 years, 7 months ago

Possible suspects according to Lawrence: 1. The homeless 2. George W. Bush 3. Wal-Mart 4. (Insert random Topekan here)

clarkentsman 8 years, 7 months ago

Graczyk 8 years, 7 months ago

Hey guys. A person just died. Maybe now is not the time to show how witty we all are. These boards are usually a little more sensitive to deaths than this.

JonKU 8 years, 7 months ago

As of 12:30, other news sources are starting to match or beat LJWorld at the story, so here's some other details that are out there: KMBC is reporting that the man is a teen, and The Capital-Journal is reporting that police were called at 8:26 a.m.

KULHSLIONSfan 8 years, 7 months ago

Totally unbelievable how pathetic some of you are pertaining to a young adults death. I certainly hope none of you have to experience the death of a loved one or a child and have to see the insensitive comments posted. How can you sleep at night making jokes and comments about the death of a kid or anyone else for that matter. I feel for anyone who has to be associated with the likes of many of you. Pray that you do not have to deal with a great loss of a family member or friend through an accident or otherwise.

Beth Bird 8 years, 7 months ago

To the victim's family: I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

KULHSLIONSfan 8 years, 7 months ago

Now that I can take a deep breath.

My sincere sympathy to the family and friends of the young man as you cope with the loss of your loved one. My thoughts and prayers will be with you through this very difficult time.

Lenette Hamm 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm beginning to think these forums are only here for the insensitive a**es who frequent them to show their true colors.

Condolences to family.

Vinny1 8 years, 7 months ago

1. If someone in my family dies the last thing I am going to be doing is reading an online newspaper comment section.

2. Laughing is the best medicine in these situations. Crying only makes things worse. You have to remember the good times and laugh at the bad times.

3. I just went through this in November so I know how it feels to lose someone close.

4. It did not matter in the least to me what someone commented on a newspaper story about.

Charlie Sabotage 8 years, 7 months ago

i think it's time to brush up on my Buffy skills. we may need a slayer if this keeps up. too many deaths, maybe we're on the hellmouth.

jonas_opines 8 years, 7 months ago

"These boards are usually a little more sensitive to deaths than this."

When did this happen? I don't recall this scenario of which you speak at all.

Graczyk 8 years, 7 months ago

“These boards are usually a little more sensitive to deaths than this.”

When did this happen? I don't recall this scenario of which you speak at all.

Deja Coffin 8 years, 7 months ago

mleanna 8 years, 7 months ago

Dejacrew423 (Anonymous) says…

"I didn't know Naismith Hall isn't actually part of KU, isn't that by Allen Field House?"

Naismith Hall is a privately-owned dorm. It's on the NE corner of 19th & Naismith, so not next to the field house, but fairly close to it.

Alia Ahmed 8 years, 7 months ago

Nice sentiment, Ronda. I also extend my condolences to the family and friends of this young person.

Vinny1 8 years, 7 months ago

bad_dog 8 years, 7 months ago

Vinny, I don't care if the "kid" was drunk or depressed either. Doing something that can best be characterized as using poor judgment does not equate to deserving to die.

Vinny1 8 years, 7 months ago

okay, you may not deserve to die. But you shouldn't feel sorry for someone who dies doing something so stupid either.

Just like kids dieing from alcohol poisoning. I'm a college student, I go out and drink. But I know my limits and can handle myself. If you can't, I, nor anyone else should feel sorry for you.

RoeDapple 8 years, 7 months ago

Vinny1 (Anonymous) says… " I'm a college student, I go out and drink. But I know my limits and can handle myself. "

Sadly, Vinny1, this could be written on many a young persons tombstone.

Deja Coffin 8 years, 7 months ago

Vinny, my brother died in a 4-wheeler accident. Should I not feel sorry for him? Do people even know how this kid died or are you just assuming it was his fault because foul play wasn't involved? Could have been anything, people have died from slipping in the bath tub but whether it was his fault or not, a life was lost and that's a true tragedy. My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young guy.

Vinny1 8 years, 7 months ago

RoeDapple (Anonymous) says…

Vinny1 (Anonymous) says… ” I'm a college student, I go out and drink. But I know my limits and can handle myself. ”

Sadly, Vinny1, this could be written on many a young persons tombstone.

And if I were to die from alcohol poisoning I wouldn't want anyone to feel sorry for my stupidity and lack of self control.

Vinny1 8 years, 7 months ago

Dejacrew423 (Anonymous) says…

Depends on the accident. If it was stupid, like trying to do flips or some crazy dumb stuff like that, then no. If it was really an accident, then yes.

Climbing a roof in the early morning while drunk is not an accident. It is stupidity. My cousin slipped and fell off a roof while roofing and was badly injured. While he didn't die, it was truly an accident. Being on a roof, drunk, at 2 in the morning is not an accident.

That being said, I never said I didn't feel sorry for this guy. I was talking more about the past 2 deaths both due to being dumb.

Deja Coffin 8 years, 7 months ago

Well I definitely don't feel sorry for your stupidity but that has nothing to do with your drinking. Maybe you're cold hearted or maybe you've never lost someone extremely close to you but whether someone dies by their own hand, own choices, whatever it doesn't make it any easier for the people who are trying to deal with that void. You think families of suicide victims are like, "oh well it was his own fault...let's move on." No, regardless of your lack of sympathy a loss is a loss and it's extremely hard. You know for me personally, it's easier to accept that my grandpa died at the age of 80 from pnumonia then my brother dying at 23 from a 4 wheeler accident.

Tim Quest 8 years, 7 months ago

For being a supposed college student, Vinny isn't very smart, nor can he write worth a damn.

The world needs ditchdiggers too, Vin.

amanda_lazer 8 years, 7 months ago

Seriously people!

I happen to know the mother. Some of you need to learn how to show some respect!!!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 7 months ago

what ya' got against ditchdiggers?

there is a lawrence family now coping with the loss of a beloved child/brother/member.

nowadays, family do tune in to the articles online and see the comments posted here.

I hope that family knows that for every Vinny1, there are a dozen or more of us with our heads screwed on straight. yes, if the deceased did something to contribute to his death, that'll come out. there is no need to jump to conclusions based on limited and some second-hand information.

the article calls him "a lawrence teenager" and later "man." if he was sixteen, there's a lot about life and the world he might not have yet grasped.

mommyoffour 8 years, 7 months ago

I am always amazed about how cruel some of these bloggers are. I hope I don't know any one this mean. I cant even imagine any one acting the way some of these people ( worthless humans beings ) do. At a time like this, God Bless the boy and his family. If any of his family reads this, I apologize for these horrible comments.

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 7 months ago

Thus far both deaths prior to this one have been alcohol related.

People need to stop and examine their lives and take heed.

RockChalkJayBlog 8 years, 7 months ago

The rumor on campus is that it was HS student that was kicked out of his house and he overdose on opium and heroin.

Good God.

guzzy393939 8 years, 7 months ago

jonas_opines 8 years, 7 months ago

"Jonas, I remember a great deal of sympathy for the kid who died last week falling off of Watkins. There were some rude people too, but also many sympathetic posts."

There are usually sympathetic posts. Maybe the ratio was a little improved.

RockChalkJayBlog 8 years, 7 months ago

Chris Ogle 8 years, 7 months ago

I hope the family have close friends to share with. I have lost very close friends, but not one of my own kids. I can't even begin to feel the pain they must be going through.

navy1337 8 years, 7 months ago

hujiko 8 years, 7 months ago

Rest in peace my friend, you had so much talent.

Sharon Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

Well at least we know Vinny won't end up in the funeral business. Takes some compassion,and tact, both of which he seems to be lacking. At his obvious age, we were all a bit immortal but most of us were smart enough to keep our mouths shut. About everyone living is lucky to have done something stupid and survived it.

The only thing that matters here is that a young person has died, his family and friends are suffering. My condolences to them all.

Paula Kissinger 8 years, 7 months ago

My sympathies to his family members and friends who saw his sadness and tried to help. He was a bright young man with a tremendous talent, unfotunately unable to cope with his issues.

If any good comes from this it will be a reminder to the kids that were so close to him and to others that problems do not just go away...nor do they improve if you try to escape from them with drugs/alcohol. When issues arise and they seem overwhelming, please seek some help from someone that is willing to listen and help.

The kids that loved him are writing on his FB page that they will never forget him...the idea here is to never forget what happened to him and not repeat his errors. Before you engage yourself in the realm of drugs and alcohol stop for a minute and think of him. If you truly cared for him as you are saying you do, do not follow in his footsteps. It is the one fatal mistake that he made. If you have friends that are engaging in this behavior, try talking to them and try to find some help for them. The WRAP program is still in the school and can help...really.

We have lost a gifted individual and many kids are grieving. There will be trying days ahead but if you rely on each other it will pass and you can hold your memories of him dear to you while continuing to move forward with your lives.

We cannot bring him back to say one more thing or have one more hug or share one more moment. Take your love for him and share it with those in your circles and love and support your friends and yourselves. His memory will live on, then, in your lives as a tribute to him and an example to others. He'd like that.

kupuddles 8 years, 7 months ago

Vinny1 is just another case of someone who is void of emotion.  Such the expert aren't you?  I'm from Lawrence and my children attended school with this young man, IT IS A HUGE LOSS!  Since when do we hold children accountable?  How many of us have made mistakes and were able to change the situation (we ARE adults, this was not the case here).  How many times had we wished we'd done things differently.  Shame on you Vinny1 for judging a KID to make good decisions even though he barely had the experience to make sound judgements.  Nice to know you would rather judge than reflect.
 My heart goes out to his family, I can't even begin to know what this may feel like.  He will be missed by all of us, my daughter is devestated.  He was a nice young man who didn't bother to be as shallow as you are.

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

KULHSLIONSfan and everyone else, Get off your high horse. Someone above was correct. The last thing I did when a young person in my family died was read the freaking newspaper. This is a forum for comments, and even though some may be insensitive and stupid, it's not your place to judge. Good grief, if you know people may be insensitive in their posts, then don't read the comments!!!!!!

Harpo 8 years, 7 months ago

Pywacket said…

PitBullGrandma~ That was probably the most sensible, caring, and relevant post on this entire thread. I hope other kids read your comments and really take them to heart.

I agree. Thanks PitBullGrandma - beautifully put. This young man has been a friend of my son's since grade school, and we are trying to cope with this. Your comments are much appreciated.

mom of three.....I understand this is an open forum, but why are you so eager to defend the insensitive posters and chastise those who take issue with them? Doesn't the latter group have just as much right to express their opinions as the former?

Paula Kissinger 8 years, 7 months ago

To Pywacket and Harpo...thanks. My son only knew him for 2 years but they shared many times together both choral and personal. My son is devastated as are so many of the others and was one of those that truly tried to help this young man out with his problems.

This, I believe, is the true definition of the word tragedy as this wonderful young man was really trying to help himself and had a pretty good support system in place but it just wasn't enough...and, unfortunately, sometimes that does happen. In his last days he really was making an attempt to turn things around and others thought the sky was brightening for him...alas it is now dark.

I have been known to bash a few times on these boards myself but this is not the time for that, nor is it appropriate. All the bashers, IMO, have no personal knowledge of this situation so they need to refrain from comments that make them just look like fools. This incident is not like the "other" recent deaths on/by campus...it is not even close.

It is the end of a very sad story of a very talented and intelligent young man who loved too much, causing a void in his soul that nothing could fill. He is deeply missed by many but will be remembered fondly and is now free, happy and safe.

zikzak 8 years, 7 months ago

My daughter also had known this young man from grade school.    I remember her mentioning him through the years in many ways and in many situations.  My thoughts and prayers are with all his family and his friends during this time.

mom_of_three 8 years, 7 months ago

I dislike the posters who only want "good things" posted, who "scold" others for posting garbage or anything but seriousness. Seems so hypocritical becaause those same people who want only "good" stuff sometimes post garbage and hateful stuff in their other posts. Not all of them, but some of them do. whatever. you can figure it out.

yoornotmee 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad commenting is disabled on the stories about my brother's death. You people are sick. Do you have any idea how hurtful your words are? No, his family might not be reading these comments this week, but I bet they will read them someday. My brother has been gone for eight years, and I still occasionally go back and read the stories about him. You people disgust me. His parents have lost a son, and his brother is now an only child. What the hell is wrong with you?