Archive for Saturday, March 28, 2009

Live weather updates: Winter storm warning canceled

March 28, 2009, 12:01 a.m. Updated March 28, 2009, 5:52 p.m.

Stay with LJWorld.com and the 6News Weather team throughout the weekend for all the latest storm information.

6News Severe Weather Forecast for March 28, 2009

Lawrence is teeter-tottering on a critical temperature division. Temperatures west of Lawrence are just below freezing. Many power outages have been reported in the area this morning. Enlarge video

Lawrence residents stock up before storm

This spring blizzard has had Lawrence residents preparing - and shopping - all day long. Enlarge video

Reader poll
How much snow will we get in Lawrence with this storm?

or See the results without voting

2:02 a.m.: De-icing crews are heading to the Kansas River bridge in response to reports of slick spots forming on Second Street. Temperatures are just below freezing, at 30 degrees.

5:46 p.m.: The National Weather Service reports light snow and sleet moving out of the area. It has canceled the winter storm warning for Douglas County.

5:33 p.m.: The snow has finally arrived. Flurries have strengthened in the last 15 minutes, but no snow has accumulated yet. Douglas County remains under a winter storm warning until 7 p.m.

5:19 p.m.: In the past 24 hours, 1,663 Westar Energy customers have lost power. As of 5 p.m. Saturday, all but 131 of those customers have had the power restored.

A map on the company’s Web site show outages occurring in a section of south west Lawrence and two areas north east of the city limits.

Westar spokeswoman Erin La Row said that customers could continue to lose power.

“Melting ultimately is good for us. But the melting itself can cause additional outages because branches spring back into place,” she said. “Hopefully, we will get everyone's power restored and we will soon be able to put this storm behind us.”

4:18 p.m.: A host of flights are canceled or delayed at the Kansas International Airport this afternoon due to winter weather. The Associated Press reported that the airport was shut down for two hours and 15 minutes before reopening around 3:30 p.m. Airport officials said their field maintenance crews couldn’t keep up with waves of freezing rain and snow that began moving into the Kansas City area Saturday morning and that conditions had been too slick for aircraft to operate safely.

1:21 p.m.: The precipitation has changed over mostly to snow mixed with a little bit of ice in west Lawrence. Forecast still calls for 2-4" of snow in the area.

12:33 p.m.: Wintry sleet and freezing rain mix coming down right now.

12:13 p.m.: Tree blocking the road in the 600 block of Missouri Street.

11:51 a.m.: Now 5,015 without power in Butler County.

11:38 a.m.: Governor Kathleen Sebelius signed a state of disaster emergency declaration following a torrent of winter weather in central and southwestern Kansas.

“It is important that we ensure Kansas counties have the resources they need,” Sebelius said in a media release. “This storm system has hit parts of our state hard, left many residents without power, forced numerous roads closed and resulted in multiple accidents, including one fatality.”

Counties included in the declaration can be found here.

11:24 a.m.: Westar Energy is reporting that 18,530 Kansans are without power. More than 10,000 of those outages are in Butler, Sedgwick and Lyon counties.

Temperatures still stuck at 32 degrees in Lawrence. KDOT is reporting that many roadways west of Topeka are snowpacked. Crews are treating and plowing.

10:53 a.m.: Quite a few closings and cancellations today. The latest: Missouri Repertoire Theater's production of Charlotte's Web at Lawrence High School Saturday night has been canceled. Click for a complete list of weather-related closings and cancellations.

Ice is building up on trees and power lines around town.

10:39 a.m.: Accidents and rollovers have been reported in the Topeka from freezing rain and sleet. Lawrence is currently experiencing light rain. The temperature is right at 32 degrees.

10:24 a.m.: A power line was reported down about seven miles south of Eudora. Westar en route to repair.

Roads are reportedly getting slick in Topeka. Rain continues to fall on Lawrence, but major streets aren't getting icy quite yet.

10:02 a.m.: The latest predictions from the National Weather Service call for 2-4 inches of snow this afternoon. Currently, there is freezing rain and sleet in the Lawrence area. The NWS says this will gradually change to snow as the day goes by.

Westar is now reporting 17,462 power outages in the state, primarily in southwestern and south-central Kansas.

9:40 a.m.: Westar is reporting 15,855 outages in Kansas. Nearly 5,000 people in Sedgwick County are without power. Another 3,559 people in Butler County have lost power.

Nearly 80 people in Douglas County are also without power. The majority of Douglas County's outages are north of Sixth and Iowa streets.

A few weather-related traffic accidents have been reported in Lawrence.

9:26 a.m.: 6News Meteorologist Alex Harrington said Lawrence is on the dividing line for snow and rain. Secondary roads and parking lots are starting to get slick. Harrington said this morning's precipitation will likely be in the form of heavy freezing rain and heavy sleet.

The Kansas Department of Transportation is treating roads with a mixture of salt and sand. Those who plan to travel in Kansas today should call 511 for road condition updates.

9:06 a.m.: Five inches of snow reported near Junction City.

8:57 a.m.: A winter storm warning remains in effect for Douglas County until 7 p.m. Saturday. Other counties in the watch area include, among others, Franklin, Jefferson, Leavenworth, Shawnee, Johnson and Osage.

Harrington said that Lawrence might see some ice accumulation as freezing rain continues to fall this morning.

Lawrence is currently experiencing some mixed precipitation. Harrington said he expects 1-3 inches of snow to accumulate later in the day, but there is a chance that we won't see the mixed precipitation flip over to snow.

The National Weather Service expects a mix of rain, freezing rain and sleet to continue during the morning hours. A mix of snow and sleet is expected by late morning, transitioning to just snow by afternoon.

According to the NWS, a glaze of ice or minor sleet and snow accumulations are possible this morning. They expect 1-3 inches of snow and gusty north winds of 25-35 mph this afternoon.

8:15 a.m.: A quarter of an inch of ice has been reported near Emporia.

8:05 a.m.: Saturday classes at KU will be held as scheduled. Call 785-864-SNOW for the latest cancellation information at KU's Lawrence campus.

6News Meteorologist Alex Harrington said a band of snow should make its way through the area by late morning. Sleet and freezing rain is expected for the earlier morning hours, he said.

Areas northwest of Manhattan received 7 inches of snow overnight, Harrington said.

7:37 a.m.: Douglas County Sheriff's officers reported heavy sleet near Lone Star Lake. Heavier rain has started moving into Lawrence.

7:22 a.m.: Rain has started to fall on Lawrence. We're currently only seeing a small amount of precipitation, but radar indicates that a large amount of rain and sleet is about to settle over the area.

6:51 a.m.: Streets in Lawrence are mostly dry. The Kansas Department of Transportation's road condition map shows that highways in northeast Kansas are slightly wet or slushy. They say that U.S. Highway 75 north of Topeka is partially snowpacked, while Interstate 70 west of Topeka is completely snowpacked.

If you're curious how roads are looking elsewhere in the state, check out KDOT's road cameras.

Radar indicated at 6:52 a.m. that snow was starting to fall just north of Oskaloosa. Rain was starting to fall just south of Clinton Lake.

5:56 a.m.: Still no snow at 5:56 a.m. Even if it doesn't come down in heaps today, these people will be stocked for the weekend.

5:27 a.m.: Nearing 5:30 a.m., Lawrence looks almost the same as it did five hours ago.

The snow has not yet hit, and the precipitation trailed off before stopping entirely. The temperature is 33 degrees.

Radar shows most of the winter weather sitting northwest of Lawrence, near Manhattan and Salina.

The National Weather Service still predicts Lawrence will see snow, freezing rain and sleet before 7 a.m.

12:47 a.m.: The U.S. Highway 40 bridge that runs over Kansas Highway 10 is reportedly "iced over."

12:00 a.m.: As of midnight Saturday, March 28, the snow has not arrived in Lawrence.

Light rain has continued sporadically for most of the night, with some sleet mixed in.

The current temperature is 34 degrees - down just one degree in the past three hours.

Updated radar shows a large swath of precipitation moving northward slowly toward Lawrence and Topeka.

Click here for yesterday's weather updates.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

My bad hawkman8950. Can't you tell I don't follow sports much? lol. I saw Mo street, and thought of the renaming issue, wishing the tree was further down the street. I was running about 5 different ideas at the time, and the phone rang as it tried to finish that. The memorial part wasn't due to his demise, perhaps Tribute Road Block sounds better, but not as common. I just hoped to give folks a laugh. I think an old teacher's name was Darrell F something, or their husband was, and it mixed up in my head. Ah, Mrs. Fallen, Darrell Fallen. I'm surprised I didn't type that instead. D's, L's and F's.

As for errors, I prefer to get the correct information at all times, am never ashamed to admit I am mistaken on something, and am grateful for someone to share info with me,so feel free to let me know, thanks. :-)

Mike Blur 5 years ago

hawkman, have you been around the Larrytown Middle Age Lonely Hearts' Club, aka the ljworld forums long enough? Facts don't matter, and if you try to correct a "lonely hearts' clubber", you will be unduly castigated for being humorless and branded as an "elitist liberal."

That said, reading this thread (and yes, I actually read this thread this time) made me really sad. I think I might put on a Joy Division record to lift my mood. I just know I have to get away from here.

hawkman8950 5 years ago

Don Fambrough not Del and why a memorial? He is still very much alive.

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

I wonder if all those people are having fun in Omaha? Wouldn't it suck to know that you were just one of a few flights that ended up making all kinds of connection problems because YOUR plane was due to land it that small time frame it was closed?

kusp8 5 years ago

Anybody having problems watching the bball games today?

Boston_Corbett 5 years ago

How is that 1:21pm predicted 2-4 inches coming along?

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Ummm, cat good! Good cat....

here, kitty kitty...............

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

12:13 p.m.: Tree blocking the road in the 600 block of Missouri Street. - Del Fambrough Memorial Road Block.

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

If I run out of food, I'm slow cooking that cat! Heard him in there again, ran him out, door now shut. You would have enjoyed his look of guilt, hehehe.

PatKirk 5 years ago

This is all the fault of Pucksatawny Phil. I think I'll have barbecued groundhog for dinner.

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

Power has clicked about 20 times in the last couple of minutes. No listing for lines down here,but many in neighboring county, so perhaps they just don't know about ones out here in the sticks.

I went to bed about 2 am. Was awakened at 5:30 by the chomp chomp chomp of a rodent gnawing on something. Not too loud, but the feeling of dread flowed in my body, knowing the hassle it would be to locate and trap it if it was in the house. Bummer. The cat was also alerted, and raced to that window which has closed blinds covering it, so he was out of luck, but he knew it was something that needed his immediate predatory attention.

The chomping became louder and went to double time. I then knew if was my neighbor who has to get up early for work, out there trying to dig his big truck out from the ice. The cat of course, does not know the sound of a scraper, so I had to shoo him away from the window. It took quite a while for those dread chemicals to dissipate, I gave up and came out here to see what was up.

When I decided to return to bed, I discovered the cat had returned to the window and made his own opening by busting the ends off of a couple of slats.

Damn cat. It wouldn't be so bad to replace, except the windows are 6 ft tall, and the bottom sits at about 42".

autie 5 years ago

the dogs just came back in and told me, "that's it..lets go to bed and watch movies" There is about 2 inches of sleet on the back deck now. At least I got out and did the grocery shopping..it was more than a trip, it was an adventure.

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

I believe that fat lady has turned from the door and is walking back towards her seat.

Nothing like what was predicted, but this Ice can go suck a toad.

trinity 5 years ago

i am holding my own in my little hamlet. just took a pan of brownies out of the oven, going to go start a big ol' pot of chili here in a bit.
and i'm still pouting about the tournament. damn. ah well-i still LOVE my 'Hawks! you guys had a fantabulous year! :)

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

You all freeze up there? Board looks kind of quiet. I took a nap, woke up to find a couple of inches of snow, in just two hours or so. There is a lot of moisture being drawn into that freeze line. I thought to save that link to Westar power outages. Then realized that when I'd want to look at it, the computer would be down. Of course.

xbus. So the fat lady left huh? She couldn't see anything either? Well, at least you can still fish. Can't be a young man forever.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years ago

Man supper I have not even thought that far ahead dang better go check the freezer for something to eat.

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

"What sounds good for supper when it is snowing and there is nothing to do but watch some stupid movie?"

The wife is doing pot roast, taters, and gravy.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years ago

my tree is getting ice build up darn it give me the snow. I know yesterday I was all no snow but ice, no no give me snow.

Steve Jacob 5 years ago

To be fair, they where right almost everywhere else, like in Wichita and southwest Kansas getting hit hard.

autie 5 years ago

I have the Cabelas fishing game for the Wii. It is pretty cool. I can go catch a bunch of big muskies today. No frozen precip here...yet. charliejohnson had ice over their way last night..lost power. So the idiots went to a casino in OK to watch the game. The man is telling me we should have some sleet moving in soon to be followed by flaky stuff..who cares? It is going to be in the 50's tomorrow. What sounds good for supper when it is snowing and there is nothing to do but watch some stupid movie?

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

xbus -

You can fish from your chair near the fireplace? Send me blueprints of your home. I have nothing better to do today than build an indoor fishing hole.

Pat Long 5 years ago

Granted there are dynamics involved in storm prediction, but if I wrong as often as the weather-gussers, I'd be out of a job!

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

Wonder if I should go fishing today??? Storm is over where I am camping. Fat lady left... so here I sit all alone....at least I can either go out and look in, or go in and look out..... gonna be an exciting day....

SpeedRacer 5 years ago

The kids went out to the shed yesterday to dig out the sleds for today. Their disappointment is making the day even gloomier.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years ago

at this point the snow would be alot better than this sleet I just want it all done with. My 21 year old took a pic. for in Garden it was supposed to be her car but the dfrifts were big enough you could not tell. Mean me said better you than me.

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

xbus - True, but the fat lady is waddling towards the door right now.

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

6 - 12 inches? Ha!

no comment.... okay just one, aint over till the fat lady leaves.

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

Epic Fail by the weather guessers. How many events have been canceled for no reason? 6 - 12 inches? Ha!

Boston_Corbett 5 years ago

I think Snowmaggedon may be over, despite what NWS says.

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

ksperson You can use the kdot site and choose a route, It will list the latest report. It's 8:30 now, and the list is from 4:30, so you have to take that into consideration. Down on the left where it says find region, use the find route option. http://511.ksdot.org/KanRoadPublic_VE/Default.aspx

OKDOT says things are slushy, use caution.

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

I would rather be in Texas.... lucky you, KansasPerson.

KansasPerson 5 years ago

Whoever is doing the updating on this site, thank you very much!

We are still not sure if we should stay put here in TX for another day (sigh) or drive back home via I-35. Can someone give me an update on what happened, and what is expected to happen, in OK and southern KS today? I am kinda limited on what I can get on this hotel computer. I looked at KS road closings, and webshots of road conditions, but didn't see I-35 on there. I am having Flash troubles so having a bit of trouble looking at "Radar in Motion" on weather.com.

Thanks!

red_devil 5 years ago

1-3 inches of snow?!?!?! Are you f-ing serious? What happened to the 8-10 inches and doom and gloom?

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

You started planning that yesterday, didn't you. (LOL)

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

Dear Jonathon: I really was talking about the weather... I promise

Marion Lynn 5 years ago

Snow?

Snow!

Snooooowwwwwwwwwww!

"Snow's not here, man!

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

Still can't see a thing out here..... might be a little slippery, but I doubt it.

Brent Garner 5 years ago

Its now 6:27 AM. My weatherbug radar picture shows snow almost here. Patience! Wait for it! Wait for it!

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

Wonsevu to Lawrence, do you read? You're in the library? Burning the tax law section you say.Stay inside. Don't go... Hello? Hello? Martin,Milo, grab the GPS, we're going in. (cue adventure music)

1029 5 years ago

underground shelters are great for tornadoes and terrorist attacks, but freezing rain always worries me. I never want to go to the surface and find that I'm iced in. I've lost too many jobs over the years because I was stuck underground. Plus I don't sleep good and I stay up all night wondering what time and day it is. Oh well, hope everyone is safe and I hope this storm doesn't somehow cause my taxes to increase.

coldplay 5 years ago

ain't sh*t gonna happen, these weather people miss more than marcus morrris!