Letters to the Editor

Newspaper loss

March 24, 2009

To the editor:

Hearing about so many newspapers going out of print is very sad. I would certainly hate to see that happen to the Journal-World. Not having a local newspaper would, I think, be a great loss, and it seems as if everyone I talk to (mostly senior citizens) agrees. I can’t say for sure about the younger population, but you would definitely be missed by many of us. So don’t go anywhere.

Catherine Waller,
Lawrence

Comments

Steve Jacob 6 years, 1 month ago

I think what saves the LJW (for awhile) is sunflower cable.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

It's okay, Catherine. Most everyone younger than you is growing up using the internet for news, so when you and your generation die off no one will miss the newspaper, so it won't be a loss to anybody at all.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you, Catherine. Losing local news would be a loss.

I get the paper in print, and then bitch online after reading it. You should try it..... It's good for the soul...... by the way, don't worry about merrill.... he is fine... just taking his mouse for a walk.

BigAl 6 years, 1 month ago

This won't be well received but newspapers should charge for on-line readers. They are putting out a product that subscribers pay for. Why not charge on-line users? Why not charge on-line users the same as print subscribers?

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

BigAl--- Don't worry... that train is coming down the tracks ...sooner than we think..

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

Generally, the amount paid for a subscription doesn't pay for the costs of printing and delivery. Ad revenues are what pay the bills. A web version is considerably cheaper to produce/distribute, and with all the free alternatives on the web, if companies like the JW charge for their web version, people would likely just go elsewhere, so they have to be content, for now, with their online ad revenue.

Also, the JW has considerably lower costs in terms of its reporting than papers in larger cities have historically had. It's this reporting that, as yet, is not being replaced as big papers go under. The JW doesn't really do much investigative reporting, so if it went under, what little it does do could be replaced through other sources, likely online.

HermioneElliott 6 years, 1 month ago

I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper or wrote a letter. I read papers online from Lawrence, Miami, London, the Navajo times, the Wall Street Journal. I love it. Also everyone in my family e-mails. I like the cards with the music and action. We are also on Twitter and Face book. Did I mention Skype? Lots of ways to communicate. It's the same thing whether you read it on paper or on a monitor. It's faster and easier to respond online, no envelope or stamp needed.

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

As long as there's TMZ.com, then young people will get the only news they care about.

zissou 6 years, 1 month ago

People just don't get it. It's not just the printed newspaper that's in danger, but the resources needed to develop the web versions of news outlets.

If a newspaper company cuts 15% of its staff, you're only get 85% of the product you were getting before. Eventually, there won't be anyone left to write the stories, online or otherwise.

HermioneElliott 6 years, 1 month ago

I read in bed comfortably propped up by pillows. I read at least three books a week. I just like to get my news from the Internet because I can read papers from around the world and get a world view. But, having just re-saw All The Presidents Men, I realize just how important the press is to America. A press of educated, ethical men and women who can ferret out the truth and let it out into the light. This is one of the most important things we have to protect us.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

If LJworld ever charges, they better offer a no ad, no pop-up version. Really, what's up with the friggin pop-up ad?

Newell_Post 6 years, 1 month ago

Newspapers were never the best way to distribute the news. Magazines were more accurate and books were more in-depth. In the 19th century, newspapers were the fastest and cheapest way to get the news out. Now, the web is immediate and free (to the reader). It's pretty hard to beat immediate and free.

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

HermioneElliott (Anonymous) says… "I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper or wrote a letter. I read papers online from Lawrence, Miami, London, the Navajo times, the Wall Street Journal. I love it."

Roe says; I read have LJW online daily for about the last 2 years. I also watch local and national news 1 to 3 hours daily on subscribed to Dish Network. I have been a subscriber to the LJW since 1971.

So glad I can help, Hermi/Cleo

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

It's pretty hard to beat immediate and free.

You are talking about beer... right??

deskboy04 6 years, 1 month ago

There is nothing like reading the morning newspaper with a cup of coffee. I get three newspapers a day. I must be old fashioned, but I prefer to get my news that way. Sure, I read on line news too. But there are still a lot of people out there who have grown up with reading the newspaper. So, they may eventually disappear, but some will stick around for a while.

Cartemus 6 years, 1 month ago

Someone has to do the reporting. Without newspapers around, it will have to be someone new; where do you think bloggers get the material they reference on their sites?

black_butterfly 6 years, 1 month ago

I also read the paper on line. I started receiving the paper about a week ago and I never ordered it. Then they sent me a bill. How does this happen? Why would I buy it when I can read it for free. And no soggy papers to dispose of!

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

black_butterfly (Anonymous) says… "I also read the paper on line. I started receiving the paper about a week ago and I never ordered it. Then they sent me a bill. How does this happen? Why would I buy it when I can read it for free."

These people give a whole new meaning to "Freedom of the Press"

When no one is willing to pay, will it still be free? For every freedom that is being taken advantage of in this country, generation after generation of men, women and even children have worked, fought and died for.

So they can get it free, regardless of the cost.........

HermioneElliott 6 years, 1 month ago

Roe you are just being a pain in the butt for the sheer joy of it. Still not going to buy a paper. I do have a subscription to National Geographic. I spend money on books at Hastings and Borders and Half Price Bookstore.

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for acknowledging me Hermi ! And I really am glad you're back. Whatever name you choose to go by.....

How about a start over with no name calling or judgement making..... with or without disclaimers?

Drew_Carey 6 years, 1 month ago

100 pts to Cartemus for being so uncommonly astute.

Cartemus (Anonymous) says…