Archive for Thursday, March 19, 2009

Emergency crews rescue man from private lake

March 19, 2009, 12:40 p.m. Updated March 19, 2009, 2:47 p.m.

Rescue crews work to help a man from the water at Bismarck Lake north of Lawrence on Thursday afternoon.

Water rescue crews responded Thursday afternoon to a private lake in North Lawrence, where they pulled a man from the water.

When emergency crews arrived at Bismarck Lake, just south of Interstate 70, a male bystander was holding onto the man in the water, according to Bill Stark, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical division chief. Crews pulled the man up a small rocky embankment.

Stark said the man had been fishing in the lake and was waist deep in the water.

The 68-year-old man had slipped off some rocks, lost his balance, fell in and couldn’t pull himself out, said Douglas County Sheriff’s Sgt. Steve Lewis. The man was taken by ambulance for treatment, though he was conscious and his injuries weren’t thought to be serious.

The emergency response occurred about 12:30 p.m. Thursday at the lake, which is north of North Ninth and Lyon streets.

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

I was getting out of my fishing boat, and fell in Lone Star lake the other day.... cover-alls got heavy, and very very cold.... , I was in just two or three feet of ice cold water... I still wonder who was watching me fall out the boat.

redmoonrising 5 years ago

A rocky situation at the least. Article did say he was conscious. The question is, was he aware?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

oh, Igby, you know some cranky humor-impaired fool will come along and say to us: "how dare you laugh at this! you are rude! etc." and so on.

I am really glad the old guy is okay! how soon he's back out there to fish, you think?

igby 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh brother where art thow?

The soggie bottom boys are at it again! Lol.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

well at least he didn't become fish food!

so did he phone 9-1-1 or did the other guy? either way this guy is lucky he wasn't there by himself.

"if that were you in that sandwich, you wouldn't be laughing at all!"

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

I think he was getting into his boat..... then realized he didn't bring it.

BigAl 5 years, 1 month ago

Unix_Admin (Anonymous) says…

Could this have been Dick Stuntz trying to steal a full lake?

Or maybe this is just another one of Dick's stuntz.

consumer1 5 years, 1 month ago

wooden are you trying to start a fight?

hujiko 5 years, 1 month ago

good to see that he can cast out another day

spankyandcranky 5 years, 1 month ago

This article doesn't really say much. I'm not even sure if the man was conscious when being pulled out. I assume he's ok since he was 'rescued'. Presumably hypothermia may have been involved. How did they not question the male bystander that was holding onto the man? Weird ...

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe the crappie thought he was going after a worm!!

consumer1 5 years, 1 month ago

Smitty, is that what the guy said when they pulled him out of the water? I have been bitten by a crapie before it doesn't hurt at all.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 1 month ago

Was it Dick Stuntz or could it have been Colonel Angus?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

This sounds very "I've fallen and can't get up", but in the water.

Unix_Admin 5 years, 1 month ago

Could this have been Dick Stuntz trying to steal a full lake?